Bottom 5 Yeees?

• Yes

Votes: 135 39.0%
  • NO

Votes: 211 61.0%

• Total voters

Bobbyxton_

It's Official
A 5% spit, 8% slide even with EX, FB's and variations that requires a bar, all terribly unsafe specials, slow pokes, low damage, terrible ways to build meter.. why would anyone even argue Reptile is viable other than to troll.
Snap

I thought this thread was finally starting to head into a positive direction lol. Why are all the non reptile players so against us having safer options when characters like kung Jin can literally 111 out of our pressure and full combo punish every special?

You guys are starting to make me wonder if you have even taken him to the lab before you make claims about "he's fine" gtfo lol
Snap

everyone seems to agree that reptile is bottom ass tier; didn't look so to me, but I really rarely play with him.

so can somebody, perhaps a reptile main, tell me why is he that low in the tier list?
And please don't... Just look through the thread and find what you need, otherwise you'll get a clusterfuck of information from people who play Reppy, don't play Reppy, pretend to play Reppy or don't know who Reppy is but still insist on tell you what he needs.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
And please don't... Just look through the thread and find what you need, otherwise you'll get a clusterfuck of information from people who play Reppy, don't play Reppy, pretend to play Reppy or don't know who Reppy is but still insist on tell you what he needs.
I never liked reading. even in school I've always been better with scientific subjects, getting actually good results; in more language releated subjects on the other end, I usually had just barely good enough grades to pass the accademic year. I know that grammar is important ofc, but that's just me you know? anyway I've never been a really calm guy, so probably a lot of my grades were downgraded (sorry for the word game) because of that, but that should affect my scientific grades too, am I right?
Anyway, I'm missing the point here, the point is that I never liked language subjects and therefore reading, so I'd love to have a summary. pretty please?

Last edited:

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
The OP is asking if he is in the bottom 5, not if he's the worst. I can't honestly think of 5 characters that are in a worse situation than Reptile. Maybe Liu Kang, Kano and Takeda? And yes, bottom 5 for sure.

I main takeda and I wouldn't even say this. Plus lk and kano? Both of them are mid tier at worst.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
actually the majority of top players think he's good, it's gonna come down to how the meta evolves i guess

BTW his spit is a completely average projectile. 5% is a little low (most projectiles of his nature do about 7%) but it travels a lot faster than them, so i don't think it's accurate to say it's bad

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Yep, he's sooooo good... that these top players are picking him over raiden, kung jin, dvorah, cassie, quan chi, scorpion, sub zero, etc

oh wait, they aren't?? If he's soooo good, why aren't there more in tournament?

And acting like we should just take everything top players say as gospel.

pfft, this guy.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Reptile is currently the most underrepresented character in the game game and no players that are actually serious about this game will touch reptile with a 10 foot pole.

I think that says enough..

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
"No one is doing anything with Aquaman. Tom can't even get out of pools. I guess this character was a bill after all."

Hurr hurr

Point is, there are tons of other characters top players would much rather choose over reptile b/c they are better than reptile.

Twist it any way you will for your little agenda though. Have fun.

haketh

Noob
Reading this thread you all make it sound like we're playing some Dan tier character. Does he need some help? Yeah, very little but he's not this awful flawed character you're all making him out to be.

I'm sure 16 bit has an agenda when he doesn't even compete anymore and the best way to get what he wants is to post on a forum as an NRS employee.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Hurr hurr

Point is, there are tons of other characters top players would much rather choose over reptile b/c they are better than reptile.

Twist it any way you will for your little agenda though. Have fun.
Game is still really new. Some characters take a long time to truly develop, or the right person to show what they can do.

Everyone probably would've said that Catwoman was garbage for the life of the game if 16bit hadn't put on the claws. He was a player who truly understood the character and made her seem dangerous as hell.

Sometimes even if a character is clearly GOOD on paper, it still takes the right person to show it. Chris G did it with Morrigan in Marvel, Gamerbee did it with Adon in SF4, heck Pig did it with Kenshi in MK9.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Reading this thread you all make it sound like we're playing some Dan tier character. Does he need some help? Yeah, very little but he's not this awful flawed character you're all making him out to be.
Funny analogy. I actually feel like he's similar to Dan. They're both the punching bags of the cast and they both have tools to win but don't have anything solid. At least Dan has friends, Reptile has to kiss ass to get allies.

haketh

Noob
Funny analogy. I actually feel like he's similar to Dan. They're both the punching bags of the cast and they both have tools to win but don't have anything solid. At least Dan has friends, Reptile has to kiss ass to get allies.
Reptile & Kotal are actually pretty damn close :p

Uuuuh no, Dan had nothing solid at all in 3S *Not talking 2I where he was the bees knees* lol

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Chrome just crashed and now I have to retype everything. I'm mad bro. Won't be as detailed. Sorry.

everyone seems to agree that reptile is bottom ass tier; didn't look so to me, but I really rarely play with him.

so can somebody, perhaps a reptile main, tell me why is he that low in the tier list?
  1. Reptile's meterless damage and metered damage is considered low (26-29% no meter. 30-35% 1 bar)
  2. Reptile's low starter doesn't lead to a combo. It can, if you spend a bar, but most characters have a regular low starter that can lead to some sort of combo.
  3. Reptile's pokes are below average.
  4. Reptile's combos require a bit of timing. That timing can be difficult online.
  5. Reptile's specials are easily punishable.
  6. Reptile can be trapped almost helplessly in the corner due to slow armor that can be broken by any fairly quick combo anything less than 18 frames
This isn't to say Reptile's bad due to a lack of options. He can do things. It just seems he can do less, has less than other characters.

1. Once learned, Reptile's pressure is formidable. Far from the best pressure in game, but can swallow opponents whole if they don't know Reptile.
  2. B3 is a great attack due to it's low profile.
  3. Combo enders are in variety. Choose as you like.
  4. Acid balls provide a projectile pressure that is unique to Kitana and Reptile.
Rewrit twice, not very descriptive or elaborate. Apologies. Basically Reptile just has less in his armory than most characters.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
"No one is doing anything with Aquaman. Tom can't even get out of pools. I guess this character was a bill after all."
Man, you test the game. You are well aware 9 frame normals/pokes are flat out garbage and having a 8 frame full combo punishable special that trades/loses to everything in neutral is even more garbage. If Reptile was hard to get in on and that was your reward for getting through his zoning like say Takeda (who just got an 8 frame non full combo punishable d1) I could understand but we know thats not the case.

Last edited:

haketh

Noob
Crappy DP, Basketball set-ups, meh Tornado, meh SA 1 and 2, Roll and OH kick. He could still win with good fundamentals
At a above not shit level hell no lol. Not even Nuki could make it work & get up t 10th Dan. Also Tornado is unsafe on hit & Roll has zero use.