What's new

REO discusses the potential banning of Jacqui in tournaments

jmt

Noob
Jacqui isn't even the best character in the game. FGC is literally 90% scrubs. Shit is so sad. I barely play this game and can go on and pretty much beat anyone other than top top pros lol.

No one dislikes Jacqui cuz she’s black. At least I’d hope not. Ppl just don’t like the oppression session that lasts all game. It’s boring to watch and not fun at all the play against.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Here we go...

Something very troubling goes on in this community where Jacqui's mere presence in the cast seems to irk some so much to the point of rage. This started BEFORE Upgraded was added, BEFORE we even knew what she’d play like or what her skins would be like in MK11

It’s OK to not be fan of Jacqui or not want to play her, it's ok to hate playing against Upgraded and wanting her to be nerfed...That's all fine. BUT the constant outcry to try to convince every1 of how "uncool" Jacqui is & how "nobody wants to play her" so that she won't make it in future games comes from a RACIST place. And this excuse to have her banned from tournaments when we've had way more broken characters...so that finally she will be "deleted from the game"….comes from a RACIST place

PS: Stop hiding behind "But I like Jax!" cause 1) Jax is a klassic character who obviously will always be around & 2) the racism that black women experience is an entirely different monster. This community uses Jax like that one black friend they may have IRL to excuse their racism

PPS: Do not bring up Jade because 1) many people still pretend she isn't black cause “she's Edenian" & she has a more "acceptable" features (lighter skin, straight hair, etc), & 2) Jacqui was and has never been sexualized to the point of de-humanization like Jade (Google it, that’s the only time people like black women) so she never built up a fanbase

PPPS: Yes, Jacqui should be nerfed
PPPPS: Can we bring up Jax who people love?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think NRS is who truly hasn't done her justice in making her stand out, even comparing her to some of the newcomers from both games.
We got:
  • a telekinetic ninja with barbed energy whips trained by the most popular character in the series, son of a fan favorite.
  • gigantic tatted up aztec god type character who summons blood totems
  • humanoid bug lady that is a living hive, unique design to just about anything in existence
  • tag team type big body character with a rider
  • bad ass old west gunslinger
  • an actual elder God
  • 4 armed fighter who carries a bag full of weapons with various magical properties
  • a shaolin monk archer and relative to a fan favorite
Jacqui and Cassie are kind of bland with both their outfits and personalities. Their movements even outright steal things from their parents. The writers made Cassie "funnier" at least in MKX. They don't do much to make them visually interesting, which is strange because some of Jacqui's concept art in MKX is insanely cool. Not saying some aren't racist and fuck them obviously, but to act like that's why most people don't like her is so stupid. Most people who don't like Jacqui are probably fans of Jax. Why? Because Jax is more interesting.

I think NRS is who truly hasn't done her justice in making her stand out, even comparing her to some of the newcomers from both games.
We got:
  • a telekinetic ninja with barbed energy whips trained by the most popular character in the series, son of a fan favorite.
  • gigantic tatted up aztec god type character who summons blood totems
  • humanoid bug lady that is a living hive, unique design to just about anything in existence
  • tag team type big body character with a rider
  • bad ass old west gunslinger
  • an actual elder God
  • 4 armed fighter who carries a bag full of weapons with various magical properties
  • a shaolin monk archer and relative to a fan favorite
Jacqui and Cassie are kind of bland with both their outfits and personalities. Their movements even outright steal things from their parents. The writers made Cassie "funnier" at least in MKX. They don't do much to make them visually interesting, which is strange because some of Jacqui's concept art in MKX is insanely cool. Not saying some aren't racist and fuck them obviously, but to act like that's why most people don't like her is so stupid. Most people who don't like Jacqui are probably fans of Jax. Why? Because Jax is more interesting.
MK11 Jacqui is a kickboxing military woman with robot legs & fights using plasma weapons. I think that should be considered at least as cool as a gunslinger or archer

But anyway, point is it’s fine to not be a fan. But how much her presence enrages people even pre-Upgraded to the point that people bring up in random threads “remove Jacqui from the series!!!” is a huge red flag

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
This community uses Jax like that one black friend they may have IRL to excuse their racism
(Google it, that’s the only time people like black women)
These statements say way more about you than it does anyone else tbh. Really really weird, maybe normal people don't even think about a person's, much less a fictional character's race before deciding if they like them. The outliers to this rule are obviously trash and are rightfully shut down promptly as they should be.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
MK11 Jacqui is a kickboxing military woman with robot legs & fights using plasma weapons. I think that should be considered at least as cool as a gunslinger or archer

But anyway, point is it’s fine to not be a fan. But how much her presence enrages people even pre-Upgraded to the point that people bring up in random threads “remove Jacqui from the series!!!” is a huge red flag
I will say Jacqui is way way way cooler in this game than in MKX, would have liked to see some stuff closer to that concept art though. Maybe less militaristic.

These statements say way more about you than it does anyone else tbh. Really really weird, maybe normal people don't even think about a person's, much less a fictional character's race before deciding if they like them. The outliers to this rule are obviously trash and are rightfully shut down promptly as they should be.
Color-blindness would only work in a non-racist society unfortunately. I’m with you if you believe that’s how it should be, but it’s a very damaging mentality to have in the world we live in today cause it ignores the hardships black people experience & closes doors for discussion (for example, a colorblind person in theory wouldn’t notice that black people are more commonly targeted by the police). It’s rly a complicated issue

But on that note, I don’t wish to derail this topic much more lol. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents on what I think is happening but I hope there aren’t any hard feelings

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
I mean, in essence you're right. The overwhelming majority of poeple don't actively think about a person or character's race when deciding if they like them, yet race plays a parte in that anyway, ant that's part of the damn problem.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I mean, in essence you're right. The overwhelming majority of poeple don't actively think about a person or character's race when deciding if they like them, yet race plays a parte in that anyway, ant that's part of the damn problem. Calling out specific examples of racism on the spot is the only measurable way to make things better, making blanket statements does nothing. It is almost never effective to defend a generalization.
But what can you do about it? Other than what is already being done, as in banning racist assholes, what is there to be done? Nothing anyone says or does can stop racists from being racists unfortunately, only good people can take care of each other.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Did you watch the two fucking minute video?

He doesn't agree with banning Jacqui.
I clearly didn’t originally. As a Kitana player, I’m still mentally scarred from the dumb shit he’d post in MKX so I automatically assumed the worst.

Reactions: jmt

jmt

Noob
What the fucking 2 minute video before you comment.

I'm astounded by the amount of people shitting on REO, an absolute legend in the NRS community, before watching a fucking two minute video.
Read the entire fucking thread before you comment. I’m amazed by the number of people that talk shit before reading it all.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
What the fucking 2 minute video before you comment.

I'm astounded by the amount of people shitting on REO, an absolute legend in the NRS community, before watching a fucking two minute video.
Dude literally does more work to provide knowledge to the community than most currently active players put together, and has gotten treated like a chump for years in spite of it. Will never understand it.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Read the entire fucking thread before you comment. I’m amazed by the number of people that talk shit before reading it all.
I read the comment where someone else called you out for being an idiot. I still wanted to comment. You realized you spoke too soon, but you still called REO a scrub without ANY KNOWLEDGE of what he even says in the video. Simply expecting people to actually watch a short video before commenting on it and shitting on the dude who made the video must be too much to ask.

Furthermore....if YOU read the entire thread, you'd have seen others called out on the same exact thing before you commented. What an absurd attempt to call me out.

Last edited: