What's new

REAL Cyrax Matchup Chart

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I agree. There's too much difference of opinion. But these numbers make the most sense to me.

5-5 even (obviously)
6-4 slight advantage (why bother with .5's?)
7-3 genuine advantage
8-2 big advantage (will win the lion-share of matches i.e. heavily stacked in your favour)
9-1 almost unbeatable (doesn't exist in this game)
10-0 (no)
Reason we do .5's is b/c there are mu's that are a certain number like a 6-4 but it rlly isnt that much of a slight advantage nor is it even so we use .5's. Also since its out of 10 matches meaning out of 100% there are 55%'s 65%'s and such. Finally the ,5 system helps break tie breakers. In no way shape or form should their be a tie in a tier list. If there is then something is wrong w/ 1 or more Mu's

NKZero

Noob
just fixed the error, why do you think Cyrax loses that bad, and what Kabal players have you fought to come to this conclusion?
I'm not a Cyrax player so... but the reason I stated that was based on the assumption that this match is genuinely in Kabal's favour and not slightly. That's why I wanted to know what a 6-4 meant to you. I always believed it was Cyrax's worst match. Kabal's zoning can avoid a Cyrax minefield and teleport doesn't really help. How can Cyrax get in? Maybe Human Cyrax has a better chance idk...that will just become too confusing.

NKZero

Noob
Reason we do .5's is b/c there are mu's that are a certain number like a 6-4 but it rlly isnt that much of a slight advantage nor is it even so we use .5's. Also since its out of 10 matches meaning out of 100% there are 55%'s 65%'s and such. Finally the ,5 system helps break tie breakers. In no way shape or form should their be a tie in a tier list. If there is then something is wrong w/ 1 or more Mu's
I think 6-4 shares the same purpose as a 5.5 would in your chart, only we do not have to deal with .5's. At the end of the day, the numbers don't matter as much as what we label a match-up. But obviously we need to have some sort of universal agreement till we can produce an entire community chart. It's either .5's or not. If a match was considered 5.5-4.5 that means slight advantage right? Well without decimals then 6-4 represents the same thing, because it is the next thing after even. Also we allow ourselves to move into 7-3 and 8-2 territory with more regularity instead of having a concentrated set of results barely pushing past 6-4.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I think 6-4 shares the same purpose as a 5.5 would in your chart, only we do not have to deal with .5's. At the end of the day, the numbers don't matter as much as what we label a match-up. But obviously we need to have some sort of universal agreement till we can produce an entire community chart. It's either .5's or not. If a match was considered 5.5-4.5 that means slight advantage right? Well without decimals then 6-4 represents the same thing, because it is the next thing after even. Also we allow ourselves to move into 7-3 and 8-2 territory with more regularity instead of having a concentrated set of results barely pushing past 6-4.
Thing is though 5.5 is slight advantage while 6-4 is just advantage at least in my eyes. The main concern I have is ties w/ other characters. .5 system helps steer away from that.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
I'm not a Cyrax player so... but the reason I stated that was based on the assumption that this match is genuinely in Kabal's favour and not slightly. That's why I wanted to know what a 6-4 meant to you. I always believed it was Cyrax's worst match. Kabal's zoning can avoid a Cyrax minefield and teleport doesn't really help. How can Cyrax get in? Maybe Human Cyrax has a better chance idk...that will just become too confusing.
minefields arent what win cyrax matches

NKZero

Noob
minefields arent what win cyrax matches
I know but normally you can use the bombs and nets to try and lure somebody in because Cyrax has a pretty good up close game. That doesn't work as well vs Kabal as it does vs others who can outzone Cyrax. Plus I asked you what is the match-up like up close. Also for the third time, what does a 6-4 mean to you? Slight advantage? Significant advantage?

Death

Noob
This is my personal matchup chart, feel free to question any choices, and certain matchups i will label at ??? for the reason of not having enough experience in that matchup to give a true answer.

Baraka 6-4
Cyber sub zero 5-5
Ermac 5-5
Freddie ???
Jade 5-5
Jax 5-5
Johnny cage 5-5
Kabal 4-6
Kano 6-4
Kenshi ???
Kitana 5-5
Kung Lao 5-5
Liu Kang 5-5
Mileena 6-4
Nightwolf 5-5
Noob Saibot 6-4
Quan Chi 6-4
Raiden 4-6
Rain 5-5
Reptile 4-6
Scorpion 5-5
Sektor 4-6
Shang Tsung 5-5
Sheeva 6-4
Sindel 5-5
Skarlet 5-5
Smoke 5-5
Sonya 4-6
Stryker 5-5
Sub Zero 5-5
I completely agree with Sonya beating Cyrax. I assumed Cage beat Cyrax cuz I remmeber Curbo and Maxter saying Cage rapes Cyrax. But Cyrax beating Mileena? What gives Cyrax that slight edge in that MU?

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
I completely agree with Sonya beating Cyrax. I assumed Cage beat Cyrax cuz I remmeber Curbo and Maxter saying Cage rapes Cyrax. But Cyrax beating Mileena? What gives Cyrax that slight edge in that MU?
tbh i felt for months that cage destroyed Cyrax, but since ive realised how godlike cyrax EX net is ive been alot better off, taking away even one of those forceball traps helps alot more than youd think, also forcing cage to break taking all 3 bars gets rid of x ray for the round AND the red kick, which lets you throw a few more nets, apart from that its just making reads to get out of the cage pressure the same way everyone else has to.

personally i feel that cyrax with a lifelead is a nightmare for mileena, and even if mileena has the lifelead for the mostpart it just takes one touch for Cyrax to get it again, alot of people assume Cyrax struggles against characters with good projectiles because he 'cant get in', but whos saying he HAS to go in, cyrax can lame it out VERY well, some people are just impatient. also cyrax can punish mileena harder than possibly anyone in the cast, which in turn makes the mileena player terrified to advance.

Death

Noob
tbh i felt for months that cage destroyed Cyrax, but since ive realised how godlike cyrax EX net is ive been alot better off, taking away even one of those forceball traps helps alot more than youd think, also forcing cage to break taking all 3 bars gets rid of x ray for the round AND the red kick, which lets you throw a few more nets, apart from that its just making reads to get out of the cage pressure the same way everyone else has to.

personally i feel that cyrax with a lifelead is a nightmare for mileena, and even if mileena has the lifelead for the mostpart it just takes one touch for Cyrax to get it again, alot of people assume Cyrax struggles against characters with good projectiles because he 'cant get in', but whos saying he HAS to go in, cyrax can lame it out VERY well, some people are just impatient. also cyrax can punish mileena harder than possibly anyone in the cast, which in turn makes the mileena player terrified to advance.
I agree with you. For the most part I had MIleena winning that MU off of projectiles and telekick bombs/nets but than I started to think bout the MU and I think why would Cyrax lose because of that. Couldnt he just dash in and pressure Mileena like every other character and his damage output hurts. I had it as even but who knows.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
I know but normally you can use the bombs and nets to try and lure somebody in because Cyrax has a pretty good up close game. That doesn't work as well vs Kabal as it does vs others who can outzone Cyrax. Plus I asked you what is the match-up like up close. Also for the third time, what does a 6-4 mean to you? Slight advantage? Significant advantage?
6-4 to me means advantage, thats all really, 7-3 meaning significant advantage and so on. far bombs at least stop kabal throwing one or two IAGB's, which can be very helpful. id happily take a gas blast trade if it means i get a bomb out.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
I agree with you. For the most part I had MIleena winning that MU off of projectiles and telekick bombs/nets but than I started to think bout the MU and I think why would Cyrax lose because of that. Couldnt he just dash in and pressure Mileena like every other character and his damage output hurts. I had it as even but who knows.
even then 6-4 doesnt really mean cyrax automatically wins, ive always been a bigger believer in player ability lol, especially this late in the game

NKZero

Noob
6-4 to me means advantage, thats all really, 7-3 meaning significant advantage and so on. far bombs at least stop kabal throwing one or two IAGB's, which can be very helpful. id happily take a gas blast trade if it means i get a bomb out.
Fair enough. So no character really has their way with Cyrax I guess. I thought the chart was great anyways. I'm maybe a little hesitant to say I agree with 5-5 Nightwolf. I always thought Cyrax had advantage there no? Reflect is useless. Cyrax heavily punishes lightning or whiffed shoulder (because of his damage out put). Forcing Nightwolf out of his comfort zone with well placed bombs. Nightwolf really needs meter to survive here.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
This is my personal matchup chart, feel free to question any choices, and certain matchups i will label at ??? for the reason of not having enough experience in that matchup to give a true answer.

/snip
I really like your choices. Just wanted to get some feedback on these:

Reptile: 4-6 - Why exactly do you feel that this is a 4-6? I would think 5-5 for sure as one blocked Elbow Dash is the end of the lil green guy. Obviously, Cyrax' damage is monstrous against the whole cast and all of the MUs arent gonna be in his favor and Reptile can zone well, but still. Just wondering what makes you put it at 4-6.

Kitana: 5-5 - I find ehr zoning to be quite bothersome at times. I noticed you didnt use and .5s if so, would this be one that you think would merit a 4.5-5.5. I'm not so sure it's bad enough to swing to 6-4, but from both sides of the match-up, I feel she has a bit of advantage.

Smoke: 5-5 - Just want your thoughts on this matchup. I'm inclined to agree, but I see several people state that Smoke wins this MU. Just curious.

Kenshi: I'd call this a 4-6 (Kenshi). His zoning is such a headache for Rax and he easily armours out of some set-ups.

Mileena: 6-4 - Totally agree. He punishes her so heavily for every mistake and she really can't play counter style all that well against him.

Jade: 5-5 - I'd call it 5-5 at worst. I'm still not seeing what she can do in this MU. He runs all over her up close and she doesn't exactly do much from afar.

Sonya: 4-6 - Definitely agree. I hate this whore. lol

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
This is my match-up chart. Human Cyrax cover some of the worst match-ups, we should probably work on a new one, or mention Human on some of the match-ups that favor him.

6-4 vs Baraka
5-5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
5-5 vs Ermac
5-5 vs Freddy Krueger
6-4 vs Jade
4-6 vs Jax
5-5 vs Johnny Cage
4-6 vs Kabal
6-4 vs Kano
4-6 vs Kenshi
5-5 vs Kitana
5-5 vs Kung Lao
5-5 vs Liu Kang
6-4 vs Mileena
5-5 vs Nightwolf
5-5 vs Noob Saibot
6-4 vs Quan Chi
4-6 vs Raiden
5-5 vs Rain
6-4 vs Reptile
5-5 vs Scorpion
4-6 vs Sektor
5-5 vs Shang Tsung
6-4 vs Sheeva
5-5 vs Sindel
5-5 vs Skarlet
4-6 vs Smoke
4-6 vs Sonya Blade
5-5 vs Stryker
5-5 vs Sub-Zero

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
I really like your choices. Just wanted to get some feedback on these:

Reptile: 4-6 - Why exactly do you feel that this is a 4-6? I would think 5-5 for sure as one blocked Elbow Dash is the end of the lil green guy. Obviously, Cyrax' damage is monstrous against the whole cast and all of the MUs arent gonna be in his favor and Reptile can zone well, but still. Just wondering what makes you put it at 4-6.

Kitana: 5-5 - I find ehr zoning to be quite bothersome at times. I noticed you didnt use and .5s if so, would this be one that you think would merit a 4.5-5.5. I'm not so sure it's bad enough to swing to 6-4, but from both sides of the match-up, I feel she has a bit of advantage.

Smoke: 5-5 - Just want your thoughts on this matchup. I'm inclined to agree, but I see several people state that Smoke wins this MU. Just curious.

Kenshi: I'd call this a 4-6 (Kenshi). His zoning is such a headache for Rax and he easily armours out of some set-ups.

Mileena: 6-4 - Totally agree. He punishes her so heavily for every mistake and she really can't play counter style all that well against him.

Jade: 5-5 - I'd call it 5-5 at worst. I'm still not seeing what she can do in this MU. He runs all over her up close and she doesn't exactly do much from afar.

Sonya: 4-6 - Definitely agree. I hate this whore. lol

reptile: saying you feel its even because his dash is punishable is applicable to the whole cast :p, reptile wins in every trade with cyrax, you trade net with ball he recovers as you stand up, acid recovers too fast, and the fact reptile even has the dash makes you hesitant to pressure him, bit like CSZ's parry, that with the fact all of cyrax's regular normals used to pressure whiff on crouching opponents makes it even easier for reptile to whiff punish with dash, and on every dash that lands you're out again, i feel reptile is one of the best in the game at keeping cyrax out. and his balls cant be ducked.

Kitana: bit like mileena, when you have the life lead on her she struggles to get it back, and her being free on wakeup to cyrax is a very bad thing for her, when cyrax whiff punishes as hard as he does and at least has his d4 if you want to keep her at a certain range, cyrax can turtle her out incredibly well. her d1 doesnt do much for her here.

Smoke: i dont see how smoke wins this, again with the point of people being afraid to just lame it out and play for that life lead i guess, if you have the lead and 2 bars, let him throw smoke bombs at you, hes gotta come in sooner or later, he cant jump in even if he throws out the teleport to bait aa's because cyrax can deal with both very easily, cyrax can punish point blank smoke bombs too, you just gotta be quick. but vice versa its hard for cyrax to get in on smoke too, which is why i feel its 5-5.

Kenshi: i cant comment on kenshi, every kenshi ive fought ive never really struggles against but i dont feel i know enough about him yet.

Jade: jade completely rendering the net useless is a BIG thing, and even then the EX glow helps her out heaps in this matchup, its a very footsie oriented fight, which theyre both good at.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY

Baraka 6-4
Cyber sub zero 5-5
Ermac 5-5
Freddie ???
Jade 5-5
Jax 5-5
Johnny cage 5-5
Kabal 4-6
Kano 6-4
Kenshi ???
Kitana 5-5
Kung Lao 5-5
Liu Kang 5-5
Mileena 6-4
Nightwolf 5-5
Noob Saibot 6-4
Quan Chi 6-4
Raiden 4-6
Rain 5-5
Reptile 4-6
Scorpion 5-5
Sektor 4-6
Shang Tsung 5-5
Sheeva 6-4
Sindel 5-5
Skarlet 5-5
Smoke 5-5
Sonya 4-6
Stryker 5-5
Sub Zero 5-5
Mileena is atleast 5-5 rain is 6-4 reptile is about even sub zero is 6-4

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Krayzie J360 I know you guys also delve in Human Cyrax, I'm curious as to which matchups you think he excels/better survives in. I'm planning on amping him up specifically for the Kabal/Kenshi matchups, I wanna get some learned opinions.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
reptile: saying you feel its even because his dash is punishable is applicable to the whole cast :p, reptile wins in every trade with cyrax, you trade net with ball he recovers as you stand up, acid recovers too fast, and the fact reptile even has the dash makes you hesitant to pressure him, bit like CSZ's parry, that with the fact all of cyrax's regular normals used to pressure whiff on crouching opponents makes it even easier for reptile to whiff punish with dash, and on every dash that lands you're out again, i feel reptile is one of the best in the game at keeping cyrax out. and his balls cant be ducked.
If Cyrax doesn't win this match, its a 5-5 imo. You have to block dash your way in and close down his dash/fireball game. From here you have both trades and his rush-down pressure in your favor.

This is how it felt against Chris G, at least. I'm just speaking from experience.

Kitana: bit like mileena, when you have the life lead on her she struggles to get it back, and her being free on wakeup to cyrax is a very bad thing for her, when cyrax whiff punishes as hard as he does and at least has his d4 if you want to keep her at a certain range, cyrax can turtle her out incredibly well. her d1 doesnt do much for her here.
Completely agree... I like to corner her... lol

Smoke: i dont see how smoke wins this, again with the point of people being afraid to just lame it out and play for that life lead i guess, if you have the lead and 2 bars, let him throw smoke bombs at you, hes gotta come in sooner or later, he cant jump in even if he throws out the teleport to bait aa's because cyrax can deal with both very easily, cyrax can punish point blank smoke bombs too, you just gotta be quick. but vice versa its hard for cyrax to get in on smoke too, which is why i feel its 5-5.
I think that a mixture of being able to punish bombs and nets, and his ability to run the entire match makes it very frustrating for Cyrax. I have it a 4-6 in Smokes favor.

Kenshi: i cant comment on kenshi, every kenshi ive fought ive never really struggles against but i dont feel i know enough about him yet.
I'm still trying to fully learn the match. I want to play Pig at MLG to give my true response on this.

Jade: jade completely rendering the net useless is a BIG thing, and even then the EX glow helps her out heaps in this matchup, its a very footsie oriented fight, which theyre both good at.
I think after having so much Jade experience, I can bring some light to this. Jades glow doesn't render any projectile useless because it doesn't last long. What you should do is time the glow, and shoot your projectile of choice just in time for Jade players to get hit by it. Other than this, she cant glow through bombs, so you are basically moving her around the stage while timing the net. When you do have her in a net, the damage difference comes into play. Cyrax beats Jade.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Krayzie J360 I know you guys also delve in Human Cyrax, I'm curious as to which matchups you think he excels/better survives in. I'm planning on amping him up specifically for the Kabal/Kenshi matchups, I wanna get some learned opinions.
He definitely beats Kabal. I actually have some new stuff with Cyrax which works best with Human that makes the match better. I'll probably post it later on after MLG.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
A smart Mileena will zone you out with iaSais and will be able to sit on a lifelead. More importantly, once Cyrax does get a lifelead he can't exactly lame it out because if you try to throw a bomb mileena could easily hit you with a dagger and if you try to net your getting hit by a dagger or teleport. 5-5 or slightly in mileenas favour

Rain is a slow character with bad wakeups and no projectile pressure. If you throw a net and rain throws a lightning rain will win the trade for 5%. However, he can not follow the lightning up with the rainball or else he will get netted. At the price of 5% Cyrax gains about an eigth of meter. Rain gets hit hard by bomb traps and gets resetted when he tries to teleport. Cyrax wins the fist fight until rain pulls out his armour. 6-4 Cyrax Favor

Sub Zero-Fill the screen up with shit in this match up. Obviously if you do just that you will eventually get hit by an EX freeze but the thing is once you get a lifelead, it's very easy to sit on it. If subzero gets a lifelead he will have to deal with Cyrax chucking nets and bombs at him, building tons of meter. Eventually Cyrax will have meter to bomb/EX buzzsaw trap from fullscreen and hit sub, gaining the lifelead.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
He definitely beats Kabal. I actually have some new stuff with Cyrax which works best with Human that makes the match better. I'll probably post it later on after MLG.
That makes my heart happy. Can't wait to see.
Of all the matchups in the game, that's the one I want to be as absolutely prepared for as possible.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Fuck Kabal.

Death

Noob
A smart Mileena will zone you out with iaSais and will be able to sit on a lifelead. More importantly, once Cyrax does get a lifelead he can't exactly lame it out because if you try to throw a bomb mileena could easily hit you with a dagger and if you try to net your getting hit by a dagger or teleport. 5-5 or slightly in mileenas favour
Its May 2012 dude. Mileena isn't winning because she can throw IAS lol. That will just get me cornered and Cyrax pressure game is a lot better than Mileenas thats for sure. The MU is about life leads but like Mustard said Cyrax has a better chance of coming back than Mileena does. You just have to play patient vs Mileena. You cant just throw out braindead bombs and nets or jumping like a mad man. Just whiff punish and punish anything Mileena does and shes slow as hell. I'm suprised theres people out there still who lose to shit like IAS.

NariTuba

disMember
I like your MU chart a lot.

I also feel (like other ppl above) that Kabal as a significant advantage over Cyrax... call it 7-3 if you will. I'll explain why I feel this way:

The bottom line I feel has to do with the fact that he dictates the tempo of the match and its very hard to take that away from him.
You have to have a SIGNIFICANT life lead to even begin to think about laming kabal out. When kabal iagbs are on point you dont have time to even get a bomb out, he will hit you before the bomb startup allows you to get the bomb out.
A blocked saw will let you shoot a bomb out, but thats not really gonna make a difference... for you to stop the iagbs it has to be a far bomb, which he will trade you for an iagb (or at least force you to block it) after which he dashes out of the bombs range and starts iagbs again moving back to full screen.
If you jump the saw instead of blocking it you also get the bomb out but the distance means he will hit you with the iagb in trade for the bomb, which will make you stagger back to full screen. Meanwhile he dashes out of the bombs range and starts zoning again.

All of this is bad enough, but its not even the real problem. Even if dash block him patiently to the corner (a process in which you have everything to lose and nothing to gain until you reach the corner itself) and you get close enough, he still has a couple of layers of mind games to force on you before you can even initiate anything.
When will he interrupt iagbs and dash in?
When he dashes in, will he go for a saw cancel or oh hook cancel?
When he dashes in, will he go into ndc pressure or go for the naked dash?
If you guess correctly on the saw / hook and block him he has ANOTHER guessing game with ExND if you try to pressure him or go into iagbs again.

I feel you need to get through all of the above to even get to initiate offence against him. Just putting this out there for the sake of the argument, Im not a great player or anything but this is they way its looking to me at the moment.

I REALLY like what you said about Exnet, definitely an underused tool still that really can change things for Cyrax!

Ill also go on the record to say I agree with Sektor being a 4-6. I defended the 5-5 for a long time but Im beginning to agree with this... he outzones and outfootsies Cyrax.