What's new

Match-up Discussion Raven Matchup Discussion

i am having huge issues (especially) vs bane and grundy. these chars simply blow me up with their armor and i dont think that raven has the tools to defend against them (specials only have 1 hit, f,2,2,2 works vs bane but grundy simply goes through with his grab, yeah i know nj2 but still). bane simply ownes me upclose, wakeup and mid~fullscreen (fucking venom charge, is it safe against raven? seems like it).

i realise that these matchups have to be played with far more patients than others but i would like to know ur advises against those 2.
vs grundy be jumpy, mess with their heads with demon stance.

jumping the ground hands and the command throw allows you full punish with df2MB. sometimes do demon stance from a jump, but in most cases, do NOT teleport right afterwards cause he has a quick d2 which allows a huge follow-up combo. instead check him with db2 and df1, if he tries to counter with hands return to jumpy strategy, if hes moving or doing nothin ->ground teleport + combo or throw. you wanna end you combos with b23 or f13 to knock him away as far as possible. you could also f2233 as combo ender and bait for wakup grab, jump over and punish, but your gonna eat a lot if it doesnt work out.

vs bane, keep him away as far as possible and throw out df1s. if you see his bf1, 1 projectile will always hit him, depending on range you can add a df2 as second hit to stop and combo punish it, if theres not enough time just block. blocked will likely be followed by ji, but you can probbaly b3MB through it cause his follow-up strings are slow. end combos with knockaway or if you wanna bait wakeup throws with f2233 again.

I'm actually beginning to get wrecked by GL and I lost a tournament yesterday to TWO aquamen. It seems their speed up close and ravens slow dash is getting me killed when I try to run back to her preferred distance. GL actually tries to say out of range of Soul Crush and spams all day, or gets in my face and uses some of the faster strings. Her b12 is so short range when I try to go low that it whiffs a lot. I'm noticing as time goes on her speed or lack of it, is starting to become a serious issue. I may just be doing it wrong but I'm starting to see some characters are straight overpowering now.
you gotta rush aquaman down first to get the lifelead, then keep him fullscreen where raven is superior with demon stance. just do not let him play his game trying to be adaptive, its not gonna work. when you have the lifelead vs aquaman, he is your toy. i havent played a lot of gl, he seems to be tough though and youll have to rely on good melee punishers to get the lifelead, then send him fullscreen and it should be in ravens hand again with demon stance and db1.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
K so black Adam, do we have anything to punish the divekick and his low lightning move?
I'll try to test it out tomorrow but figured I'd ask if somebody already knows.

K so black Adam, do we have anything to punish the divekick and his low lightning move?
I'll try to test it out tomorrow but figured I'd ask if somebody already knows.
For the dive kick use db2 when he jumps and when he dives at you, you will pull him right out of it for a full combo.

Sami

Noob
I'm going to have 5 days off soon, so if anyone wants some tech/setups vs certain characters let me know and I'll start working out what blows up what, etc.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
For the dive kick use db2 when he jumps and when he dives at you, you will pull him right out of it for a full combo.
Yeah i figured that out but you have to be looking for it coz you cant do it on reaction, what if you block it though can we not punish it? it says its like -10 but idk if thats correct..
Fuck, being at work sucks when you want to test shit out lol.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
vs grundy be jumpy, mess with their heads with demon stance.

you gotta rush aquaman down first to get the lifelead, then keep him fullscreen where raven is superior with demon stance. just do not let him play his game trying to be adaptive, its not gonna work. when you have the lifelead vs aquaman, he is your toy. i havent played a lot of gl, he seems to be tough though and youll have to rely on good melee punishers to get the lifelead, then send him fullscreen and it should be in ravens hand again with demon stance and db1.
Actually been using demon stance, or trying to activate it when I jump and such to make it a bit "safer". Problem is the ground trident...seemed to hit me even when I jumped. With GL I'm GOING to take a projectile on occasion if I try it and someone catches on. Also my opponents tend to turtle across the screen when I'm in demon, I usually wanna close a bit of distance to maybe get in or make them nervous, but at least the GL player I play for example just does GL's freakin life that reaches 40% of the screen if I don't block in time or he catches me out of my movement. I realize part of the problem is I need to be even MORE patient with her, I need to be looking for opportunities to annoy THEM to death by interruptions, punishers and such. I'm learning Harley on the side too as a backup for really speedy projectile heavy matchups.

Yeah i figured that out but you have to be looking for it coz you cant do it on reaction, what if you block it though can we not punish it? it says its like -10 but idk if thats correct..
Fuck, being at work sucks when you want to test shit out lol.
I haven't tested it but I don't think Raven has anything quick enough to punish it. You'll just have to be actively looking for it.

Also for Aquaman you want to stay at 3/4 screen. You can punish all of his projectiles with Soul Crush so it's all about keeping him out and punishing him for not blocking. As long as you play safe he can't hit you from long range and you can punish anything he does.

Actually been using demon stance, or trying to activate it when I jump and such to make it a bit "safer". Problem is the ground trident...seemed to hit me even when I jumped.
no, do it at a higher point of the jump and it wont hit you.

How is Raven against Superman?
pretty good compared to some others i guess. she can shut down his jumping eyebeam zoning easily by jumping the first and going into demon stance, then teleport, fullscreen grab or or fullscreen pillar him depending on what he does. you can also block it and catch him with soulcrush when he falls down. his upclose strings dont have double hits so you can armor through pretty easy too.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I always play it safeand use KF against Superman because even in lag I can totally mind fornicate them with the 50/5" reset for like 80% before they guess right, however Superman seems like a good match up for Raven. U just always assumed his MB eye spamming might keep you out of soul crush range, but you're right, you can catch him as he fall for full combo if you have the meter. Guess I'll practice against him in Ranked.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I'm gonna go online for more matchup EXP later. I got bodied by a shazam (figured out minor things during the fight). I almost beat a black adam running a huge streak, never fought one, got him down to the last hit and then he spammed that lighting on me, I swear I stood up and tried to jump but I kept getting hit. There a secret to getting outta that? I only assume to tech roll and then jump (haven't had time just yet to test but I'm about to)
Also faced a grundy, I found the most effective way for me to get around him is to keep running away and using Demon Stance/Teleports to get away from the corners. I'm still ignorant of so many matchups and haven't fought a lot of the cast at all yet.

Characters I've fought most (and even then some of them were not good)
Green Lantern
Green Arrow
Deathstroke

Characters I fought either for the first time or very few times
Shazam (Got beaten pretty bad)
Aquaman (my first match in a tournament, lost then lost to the first losers bracket match against the same character)
Superman(only twice online)
Batman(a handful online but def not good ones)
Killer Frost (Once a few days ago.....I got trashed mostly cuz I got hit with the slide a lot
Joker (once)
Black Adam (Once)

The rest I have not fought yet at all or barely seen fight or being used. Not even a mirror match lol

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I'm currently (as we speak) getting trashed by doomsday. All this dude is doing is jumping around with that splash (I'm assuming it's a crossup so I'm gonna try to block the opposite way) and charging, going low and throwing. Anyone know a good basic effective way to get this clown off of her? I can't get away from him.

Alright The shoulder charge (non meter burn) seems to be unsafe. That's good. the splash though I wanna see if I can Back Dash or forward dash out of it. we'll find out when it's my go.