What's new

Ranked should stay "one and done". Here's why.

Maasik

Noob
Who said you'd lose the 2nd one?

My main issue is people thinking they should win but got beat, and salty they can't get a rematch to prove they're the "better" player.
You did, actually.

Not everyone playing wants to get into a set, casual gamers in particular. This game is made for all, not just pro/good players and if that casual player gets destroyed in the 1st game how many rage quits do you think there are going to be? What does the other player gain from a 2nd chance of destroying them? If you want to play sets you have that option via player matches.

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Baseball is not big in Mexico at all.
I'll take your word for it. I've never been but I do know they took their 3rd title in 4 years in the Carribean Series a few months ago and went off that knowledge alone and produced hundreds of players into the MLB. That's all I was gettin' at

Pro hockey, basketball, and baseball all play sets to determine a champion in the playoffs. When they determine a champion, the one and done stuff gets pushed to the side and they play sets. They get to make adjustments and try new strategies. That's how you determine a winner but also get tangible matchup experience.

Rizz091

Noob
I'm pretty sure this is all a misunderstanding. The OP just worded it terribly, but we all seem to be in agreement that it should be an option to rematch again, not forced. I'm honestly not even sure what the point of this thread is though, because most people who want 2/3 want it to be optional to avoid replaying against a bad connection.

Basically just make it like SFV. Everyone seems to agree. That's what'll work best. There's no reason why it shouldn't be like that.

I'll take your word for it. I've never been but I do know they took their 3rd title in 4 years in the Carribean Series a few months ago and went off that knowledge alone and produced hundreds of players into the MLB. That's all I was gettin' at
Baseball is very popular in the northern states of Mexico.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Baseball is very popular in the northern states of Mexico.
It's only popular in small communities of immigrants when they come back. It's a tiny fraction of popularity compared to soccer, maybe .001%.

Last edited:

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
It's only popular in small communities of immigrants when they come back. It's probably .0001% popular compared to soccer.
I know more about Mexico than you could ever know. I have been to Cozumel and a Mayan village.

DeftMonk

Noob
My opinion: 1 and done is stupid. Comparing FGC online semantics to premiere league football is like comparing the best method to make a wedding cake with the best method to make a steak. The only thing they have in common is they are made in a kitchen. (Or in your case they are competitive sports so to speak).
If fighting games were like boxing matches and were 12 rounds per match there wouldnt be a need for this. A good player is spending the beginning of the match testing his opponents reactions at certain distances/situations. Sometimes I just fully download someones game plan at the end of the first match and then its over.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
This is the attitude I was talking about, they paid for the game, they can play whichever game mode takes their fancy. If you want a competitive tournament based set system, enter a tournament.
I too paid for the game and I am barred from playing everything online except ranked because people refuse to turn gear off and that only one mode is garbage because of the 1 game mechanic. This goes both ways. The inclusion of the gear system and especially it's handling has crippled the game for the midtier player like myself. I enjoy running into good players and playing at least best of 3, but I also refuse to take part in gear retardation. Basically sitting on the ground between two chairs.

I too paid for the game and I am barred from playing everything online except ranked because people refuse to turn gear off and that only one mode is garbage because of the 1 game mechanic. This goes both ways. The inclusion of the gear system and especially it's handling has crippled the game for the midtier player like myself. I enjoy running into good players and playing at least best of 3, but I also refuse to take part in gear retardation. Basically sitting on the ground between two chairs.
Bit dramatic there aren't you? Crippled the game? Most people turn off gear. Once in a while I have to leave and find a new game which takes like 30 seconds.

3/5 ranked will be nice though. Wish there was better MMR matchmaking though with a ladder like Starcraft or something so you play better competition more consistantly.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
Bit dramatic there aren't you? Crippled the game? Most people turn off gear. Once in a while I have to leave and find a new game which takes like 30 seconds.

3/5 ranked will be nice though. Wish there was better MMR matchmaking though with a ladder like Starcraft or something so you play better competition more consistantly.
Maybe I am and it comes from my disappointment of this half-baked idea that could have been a fantastic addition.

Also, I don't know about your region but in EU it more often than not took me 10-15 mins to get someone to turn off gear who then proceeded to leave after one game.

Ranked as is sucks. One and done games prove little to nothong. Anyone can play like a maniac and take a player by surprise. I can't count how many times I've lost to someone playing in an uncharacteristic way and beat me only to get bodied the next time we play. I've seen a number of high level players do this as well in their YouTube videos, twitch streams, and in tournament. So sets will help determine who the better player is between the two opponents. That's what many gamers are concerned about. And that can only assist in determining who the best players overall are (ie leaderboards).

Also, I was a casual player once upon a time and getting wrecked by better players is what helped me get better. Playing sets with Dragon and losing 13 out of 14 games helped me improve. Getting bodied by Coach Steve over and over helped me improve. If players would rather rage quit than get better, that's on them, but you can't cater to them while other people would like to improve, and the best chance for most players to meet top players is a ranked game.

So as mentioned above, the set should at least be optional, but catering to players that have no desire to get better is ridiculous. MRS should look out for the players that intend to play this game for the next 2 to 3 years, not people that will likely put it down in the next month.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I think there should just be options in ranked, like an option for one and done and one for best 2 out of 3 or best 4 out of 7. This way you have choices for everyone.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I disagree.

It's normal to adapt to an opponent during a set, that's how fundamentals work. You said it's not the best for casuals, but frankly ranked isn't meant for them, that's why competitive mode is always on.
Ranked is definitely meant for casuals.

Competitive mode is the default so that it'll be fair (because it's ranked). But the serious players are all playing sets against each other in Private Match. No one takes Ranked seriously.

fong03

Noob
I'

p.s. "because that's how it's always done" is the worst logical fallacy there is.
To be fair, you did make a similar argument in your original post . . .

Right so, ranked is a league system not a knockout tournament. I can't think of a single league system of any sport that contains sets; I'm sure there are probably a few but it's not the norm. Having sets is a knockout tournament setup up, this is a league.
Sets not being the norm in league system does not mean that has to be the case in this game as well.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but even if Ranked is intended to be a league system, I never view it that way. Those who are better or more competitive may be concerned with their overall ranking, but some people just view ranked as an opportunity to play matches in competitive mode. It's not about ranking up overall, but about playing the matches (or sets if it changes) themselves.

It is a different way of approaching the mode that may explain why others disagree. I wouldn't mind a rematch option, but I don't care one way or another about sets.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Ranked in other games uses their competitive rule sets like Halo, CS:GO, Overwatch, Street Fighter.
Our competitive rule set is 3/5
Games like CS:GO and Overwatch use competitive rulesets for gameplay -- not for the number of games you have to play to win a match.

No one would sit through a best of 5 map series just to get a win on the Overwatch ranked ladder. It's one and done.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Ranked is definitely meant for casuals.

Competitive mode is the default so that it'll be fair (because it's ranked). But the serious players are all playing sets against each other in Private Match. No one takes Ranked seriously.
Most serious players prefer private matches over ranked, I agree. But ranked is still meant for them more than casuals, why even make player matches (even called "casual matches" in other games) at all then?

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
So I keep seeing talk of best of 3 happening, the way it's worded I cann't tell if its true. Did NRS announce anything or are people hoping a change is coming?

Games like CS:GO and Overwatch use competitive rulesets for gameplay -- not for the number of games you have to play to win a match.

No one would sit through a best of 5 map series just to get a win on the Overwatch ranked ladder. It's one and done.
Actually, they do exactly that in CS GO. Competitive (ranked) is first 16. You are committing to possibly playing 30 rounds.

The best of mechanic is already baked in.

Ranked should be mandatory 3/5 with a nice ladder.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Actually, they do exactly that in CS GO. Competitive (ranked) is first 16. You are committing to possibly playing 30 rounds.

The best of mechanic is already baked in.

Ranked should be mandatory 3/5 with a nice ladder.
You don't beat a team at a CS:GO event with one FT16. Just like you don't beat a team at an Overwatch tournament with a single map.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Well...

So, using physical sports.. a match in a FG takes a few minutes to get in to (or less) and a few minutes to finish and has little to no physical and mental effect on tbe players until hours of straight matches have gone by. Physical sports require immense amount of money and effort to move around these huge organizations, house the players, the games themselves are an all day affair once they start and are weeks in the planning and take a severe physical and mental toll on those participating. Physical sports don't match up here at all. If they COULD have. 2/3 setup or something they would.

Not to mention many do, and has been stated previously - this just doesn't fit as a reason to keep ranked one and done.

You keep mentioning casuals.. and how "well what if they want to compete with each other on the leader boards".. etc.. well, that's too bad I guess? What you're asking for is a mainting a flawed system because it benefits a minority of players.in the system, who the system isn't designed for in the first place - and I just don't understand that.

It's asking competitive players to be less competitive and accept an inferior experience in the mode DESIGNED for them so a small subsect of casual players can be catered too.

I appreciate the measured and reasonable way you've argued your points but I just feel like your on really shaky ground, and ultimately the argument doesn't make a real case for one and done remaining, nor does it reflect to the views of the VAST majority of ranked players. Certainly decisions should always be about majority rule, but tailoring a system designed specifically for a specific majority, to cater to an outlying minority, I'd a losing proposal from the get-go. It's like throwing giant mud tires and huge metal stack exhaust pipes on Camrys because there's a small handful of Camry buyers who actually want large diesel trucks.. and for reasons largely unknown, didn't choose to buy one in the first place.