What's new

Ranked should stay "one and done". Here's why.

UGL Preon

The Casual God
This needs addressed, whether for everyones benefit or for my own sanity.

A lot of people are suggesting ranked matches should be sets and not just one game. I'll get into the arguments put forward by those for sets, explain why I believe "one and done" is the best way to tackle it (I know probably most of you won't agree, but please hear me out), and finally I'll get into what I believe is the real problem here.

Right so, ranked is a league system not a knockout tournament. I can't think of a single league system of any sport that contains sets; I'm sure there are probably a few but it's not the norm. Having sets is a knockout tournament setup up, this is a league. Not everyone playing wants to get into a set, casual gamers in particular. This game is made for all, not just pro/good players and if that casual player gets destroyed in the 1st game how many rage quits do you think there are going to be? What does the other player gain from a 2nd chance of destroying them? If you want to play sets you have that option via player matches.

The argument I've seen for sets is, it's a ranked system, the better player should win over a set. There may be valid reasons for a set system but this is the only one I've seen. So to address it I'll reference my point that league systems don't have sets and give you an example. I don't know if any of you follow the English Premier League, but Chelsea won the league. They are the best team in England this season, no question, but they did get beat in a league game by Crystal Palace, a team that finished 14th. Did Chelsea get a best of 3 to prove they're the better team? No. That was proven by their league position. My point being you might lose to a player you're better than but if you are indeed the better player, you rank higher in the league table overall.

I used to believe this was a pride issue; someone got beat by someone they thought they were better than, that they should of won and wanted to prove to themselves or the opponent that they are. Well tough luck, you got beat, hold that. But after reading a lot of comments on the matter the attitude seems to be "how dare that scrub beat me", like some delusional self entitlement. You have to win, it isn't handed to you because you're the "better" player. And even more of an issue is the comments that the opponent did something random or didn't play the game how they're supposed to. That is some next level arrogance! I've got news for you, they can play it anyway they want. If they jump about like a headless chicken and beat you, that's on you. So get your head out of your hole and accept the defeat.

I'll leave you with this, outside of any technical difficulties, if you got beat, it happened because of one of 2 reasons: you got outplayed, or you fucked up.
One of the biggest sports in the world "Baseball" has series between opponents. Win more series usually of 3/4 games in a row against the same opponent to improve your overall record. Series are usually a must when the regular season or "ranked play" is over 100 games. In case of a online fighting game that number is infinite since we don't have seasonal resets. In the NBA during regular season every team will play at least 2 games versus every other team. Not necessarily back to back but still counted as in this "series" for the season.

SFV has a ranked system of 2 out of 3. But you have the option to decline win or lose. Which is what most people would request. After all we've all beat lag switchers, got hit with horrid connections, or fall into people of an ungodly skill gap between you & someone who just picked up the game. So the option to decline should be there.

Your premeier league example isn't a fair comparison because in a fighting game. 2/3 matches can be done in 8-10 minutes or even less depending on MU. In a game. The average soccer game comes to 90 minutes + Breaks + Half time. In which players have the chance to go into huddle & strategize & analyze what work first half, what didn't work.

Now here comes the "swerve". I still agree that we shouldn't have a 2 out of 3 in Injustice 2. For one reason. We don't have "Title League Play". Like if players were set to Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Masters, Gods etc. This would make sense. You'd be matched up with people of like rank/skill & you put your skills to the test those at the TOP of the ladder would be able to have their 2 out of 3s. Casuals could do whatever however far they climb. But we don't need it in Injustice 2 because someone with a record of 940W-104L can fight someone who JUST. BEAT. STORY. MODE. what's the point in that?

So by your logic..

Sets - "if you lose you gotta hold that"

One and done - "i lost and dont wanna lose again"

...Interesting mindset
Who said you'd lose the 2nd one?

My main issue is people thinking they should win but got beat, and salty they can't get a rematch to prove they're the "better" player.

One of the biggest sports in the world "Baseball" has series between opponents. Win more series usually of 3/4 games in a row against the same opponent to improve your overall record. Series are usually a must when the regular season or "ranked play" is over 100 games. In case of a online fighting game that number is infinite since we don't have seasonal resets. In the NBA during regular season every team will play at least 2 games versus every other team. Not necessarily back to back but still counted as in this "series" for the season.

SFV has a ranked system of 2 out of 3. But you have the option to decline win or lose. Which is what most people would request. After all we've all beat lag switchers, got hit with horrid connections, or fall into people of an ungodly skill gap between you & someone who just picked up the game. So the option to decline should be there.

Your premeier league example isn't a fair comparison because in a fighting game. 2/3 matches can be done in 8-10 minutes or even less depending on MU. In a game. The average soccer game comes to 90 minutes + Breaks + Half time. In which players have the chance to go into huddle & strategize & analyze what work first half, what didn't work.

Now here comes the "swerve". I still agree that we shouldn't have a 2 out of 3 in Injustice 2. For one reason. We don't have "Title League Play". Like if players were set to Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Masters, Gods etc. This would make sense. You'd be matched up with people of like rank/skill & you put your skills to the test those at the TOP of the ladder would be able to have their 2 out of 3s. Casuals could do whatever however far they climb. But we don't need it in Injustice 2 because someone with a record of 940W-104L can fight someone who JUST. BEAT. STORY. MODE. what's the point in that?
I take your points, as I said I don't mind a rematch as an option, not mandatory. I take you on football match but length of time of match is the nature of the beast. More health/bars is the equivalent not more matches.

Also baseball isn't big around the world, just in US, hence the "world" series is only US teams :p

9_Lives

Noob
I think it should be 2/3, winner character locked, and I don't think there should be a rematch option. Either that or the people who decline should take losses to obligate them to play again.

Anyone here would likely hit rematch 99% of the time barring the opponent isn't kicking the router, and I would rather that ranked caters to the actual competitive players and not randoms who can't even sit through two losses lol.

If kids can sit through 30-40 minute games of league then I don't see how at maximum two additional matches is such a big commitment.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I wish there were leagues and that you actually got ranked (like SFV/Tekken/KI/Every modern fighting game). I wish it was FT2. The current ranking system is underwhelming and works against the interest of the players. And half the people on the leaderboards disconnect against winning records (AngelicaShy or whatever I'm looking at you). It'd be nice to change it so it's actually worth playing.

UGL Preon

The Casual God
I take your points, as I said I don't mind a rematch as an option, not mandatory. I take you on football match but length of time of match is the nature of the beast. More health/bars is the equivalent not more matches.

Also baseball isn't big around the world, just in US, hence the "world" series is only US teams :p
Baseball is big in US, Japan, Italy, South Korea, France, Mexico, Venezuela, & Domincan Republic. More than just the continental US. Now its no World Cup/Soccer/Futbol. Cricket also has series in a season and worldwide Cricket is pretty big.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter

I agree that "World Series" is a strange way to put it, but the Blue Jays are from Canada, not the US, so technically it's not only US teams.

Also, bar or rec league Volleyball has teams play a set against each other to determine a winner. Dart leagues, Bowling leagues, things like that.

BlooEyedBeast

Aqua Hood
This is one of the most annoying issues imo

Killer instinct does 2/3 for ranked and it works great.

Another benefit to doing this outside of getting better quality matches and more accurate ranking is that you actually get to play the game more. Think about it at a minimum you're doubling the number of matches you're playing before having the que back into matchmaking.

People want multiple ranked games because A) Competitive players have to do it if they don't want gear. and they don't like waiting. B) Injustice only has one health bar, not rounds, can lead to steam rolling games. Most fighting games feature best 2of3 fights, which I think players enjoy in general. C) I think it should be solely based on what ppl want/what ppl find fun. Ranked ranking, means jack all

Last edited:
For those actually discussing it and giving opinions and ideas, I applaud you. We can differ, and still be civil and take opinions on board.

But, I'm done. After some ad hominems and arrogant statements (particularly from 2 former pro players via twitter, one of which was today) I can't be fucked talking about it anymore.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Casual players shouldn't be getting matched against people that will destroy them. The ranked mode is not only terrible because it's one and done, it's also terrible because it just gives you random opponents. A point system similar to SF could help people find competition around their level in ranked.

Also don't baseball, basketball and hockey all have a series of games?

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
@SithLaird has a point. Though I don't agree with the argument or the sports analogy, its kinda wrong but who gives a shit. I do agree sets should not be forced. Rematches and other options like it should be the norm by now. Having forced sets in rank or any mode is too much.

You'll have connection issues. Rage quits & more general problems to go with it. Your better off messaging the person for sets then to have it forced in either rank or player match.

2/3 is a very good number though and if it was ranked or leagued or whatever would appeal to many and to casuals too. Nrs loves numbers so I'm sure this was already discussed in development at some point either in this game or previously in others.

I will say competitive modes needs more inclusion in this game. I'm not one for gear or multiverses becase I work 14 hours a day. I only want to fight and practice and I DO want/need to keep sharp and playing in only one mode just does not cut it so I hope some good will come out of this thread.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Baseball is big in US, Japan, Italy, South Korea, France, Mexico, Venezuela, & Domincan Republic. More than just the continental US. Now its no World Cup/Soccer/Futbol. Cricket also has series in a season and worldwide Cricket is pretty big.
Baseball is not big in Mexico at all.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
There is no point in not having a rematch option.

There is also no point in having no matchmaking filters.

My issues with rank lie specifically in those two. I don't want to play a one and done with someone playing on wifi.