What's new

Rambo General Discussion

So how are you guys playing Rambo, what's your approach been? Are there any 50/50s or is it not that kind of character? I've been very busy lately but will finally have some time to dig in tonight.

Trevor

Noob
So how are you guys playing Rambo, what's your approach been? Are there any 50/50s or is it not that kind of character? I've been very busy lately but will finally have some time to dig in tonight.
Rambo is the oki master. His forward throw gives you oki. His commando strings give you oki. His command grab gives you oki. His leopard krawl grab gives you oki. Best character ever in MK imo for aggresive play. Some see him as keepaway, but for me he is pure rushdown with the wire trap for keepaway when going against characters with good neutral. I think rambo is terrible at mid range, decent at zoning, and extremely good at close pressure.

Last edited:
Rambo is the oki master. His forward throw gives you oki. His commando strings give you oki. His command grab gives you oki. His leopard krawl grab gives you oki. Best character ever in MK imo for aggresive play. Some see him as keepaway, but for me he is pure rushdown with the wire trap for keepaway when going against characters with good neutral. I think rambo is terrible at mid range, decent at zoning, and extremely good at close pressure.
Thanks a lot! It seems like if I want to combo then I need his snare trap thing.. That was a great reply man. I love playing as Skarlet prior but Rambo and Spawn have me intrigued now that I'm coming back

Trevor

Noob
Thanks a lot! It seems like if I want to combo then I need his snare trap thing.. That was a great reply man. I love playing as Skarlet prior but Rambo and Spawn have me intrigued now that I'm coming back
Actually I don't use snare trap and I can still get 300 damage with one bar. I use FUBAR, Commando, and Leopard. The snare trap seems like a great tool at first, but you start to notice that it's a bit easy to avoid it and the damage it gives you is nothing special. if you are to stick to snare trap, I would have a hard time letting go of commando or Leopard as they are both amazing for mixups and they need each other to work efficiently. Just my two cents of course. Rambo is a fun character to lab and to find your own style.

Actually I don't use snare trap and I can still get 300 damage with one bar. I use FUBAR, Commando, and Leopard. The snare trap seems like a great tool at first, but you start to notice that it's a bit easy to avoid it and the damage it gives you is nothing special. if you are to stick to snare trap, I would have a hard time letting go of commando or Leopard as they are both amazing for mixups and they need each other to work efficiently. Just my two cents of course. Rambo is a fun character to lab and to find your own style.
Yeah as far as looks, the command grab and crawl seem hella fun

Trevor

Noob
I wanted to ask other rambo players if there is a way to deal with sub zeros jumping axe projectile move. I faced this sub zero player who did that non stop and I was alwasy forced to just block. Obviously because I had no idea what to do. Is there a way to punish that move?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I wanted to ask other rambo players if there is a way to deal with sub zeros jumping axe projectile move. I faced this sub zero player who did that non stop and I was alwasy forced to just block. Obviously because I had no idea what to do. Is there a way to punish that move?
I only just started messing with Ramob last night, but I have faced that move quite a bit. Flawless Blocking the ax helps keep Sub from being so safe, but yeah, the angle and hitbox make it tough to deal with. I wonder if any of Rambo's bf4 moves, like his Slide or Roll, would help deal with it. His db2 Machine Gun might punish whiffed axes.

Trevor

Noob
I only just started messing with Ramob last night, but I have faced that move quite a bit. Flawless Blocking the ax helps keep Sub from being so safe, but yeah, the angle and hitbox make it tough to deal with. I wonder if any of Rambo's bf4 moves, like his Slide or Roll, would help deal with it. His db2 Machine Gun might punish whiffed axes.
Thanks for the info! It sucks that some moves can be so annoying and not easy to punish. That particular move has been a pain ever since Akuma made it popular in SF.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
A friend of mine mains Sub so I deal with this all the time. M60 is okay, though frequently he just jumps when he sees it spin up and I get axed out of it. Mace Trap is better but not brainless due to the hitless arc above the swing.

This makes me curious about the recovery on it (air axe) though cus I have a really hard time doing anything aggressive against it even after he's whiffed the projectile cus it feels like there's almost no recovery.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Not sure what's known about Rambo, but I've been working on some Landmine setups in the corner. Most seem avoidable, however, I haven't yet found a good answer to b221~db3. If you land it, the opponent will wake up in the landmine. If they do anything other than jump, they eat it. However, you recover quickly enough to d2 or react if they try forward-roll. If they jump, the d2 will hit and send them to the mine, which will launch and allow you to hit with b3~(1+3) (or your ender of choice). Overall, b221~db3-d2-b3(1+3) does 12% plus 27% for a total of 39% meterless damage into a +10 restand.

[Edit] The only issue with the above is that sometimes the mine will be placed too far near the edge so if you do uppercut them, they won't land on it and they can't really be pushed into it. To prevent this, you want to hit the b221 pretty late so they're lower to the ground.

You can also end kombos with b221~db3 to keep the loop going, it seems. Still experimenting.

Last edited:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Ok, can we talk about his default move, Savage Slide? I feel like everyone replaces it with Leopard Krawl or whatever and it gets no love. I think Savage Slide may be more useful than Leopard Krawl. Don't get me wrong, I think LK is amazing for oki and for heavy rushdown, but where Rambo really needs help is in the neutral. Like another user said, his up-close game is great and his zoning is great but his mid-game is not great. Savage Slide fixes those issues.

It kind of reminds me of Sindel's hated f4u3, just a crazy advancing move that allows Rambo to roll backward to safety if it's blocked. It even avoids many flawless-block attacks. It allows you to pester your opponent for 7% damage with each hit, all while charging a crazy-easy-to-hit KB (it's actually one of the few uses of meter I've found for Rambo, who otherwise doesn't really need meter). However, since it's a special, it can be canceled into. So, it's like Sindel's f4u3 if you could cancel into it.

The biggest weakness I see is its slowness. Savvy opponents may be able to flawless block it on reaction, or poke you out of it. However, there's a trick to adjusting the timing of the move to make it harder to counter in those ways. If you just press bf4, you'll do the mid-range slide. And if you hold forward, you'll do the long-range slide. However, the long-range slide has a longer startup due to an extra animation. If the opponent reacts to the wrong version of the slide, you'll either hit them or get blocked and roll to safety.

[Edit] After a bit of field testing it actually looks to be too damn slow to be of any realy use. Darn.

Last edited:

Trevor

Noob
My sincere apologies Kano. You are one of the coolest characters in MK11, but you are now dethroned by Rambo as the ultimate knife wielding badass. He simply does everything a little bit better and more visceral than you do.

I just wish Rambo would also piss on his dead opponents.

VELL1

Noob
So I guess the snare trap is there to give you a full combo for B33...

If you don't have it, your damage from the main mid string is basically non existent. I don't know if I am ready to give it up.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I don't like snare trap. Two slots for a combo extender is a little pricey to me. Would rather have the claymore for shenanigans and one of the grab/mobility options. Commando is almost essential in my books, and LK, Roll, and FUBAR all make strong arguments. You just give up too much utility trading two of those away for what, 10% more damage on mid-screen combos?

Trevor

Noob
My Rambo got a lot better since my last upload
check out these claymore setups lol ("ghetto infinites")
Loving the claymore action. So much that I have created aew variation for certain matchups that uuses commando, leopard and claymore. I love FUBAR, but the claymore is a good trade for certain matches that you need more keepaway and the corner is just nuts. If they don't roll they are basically screwed.

Trevor

Noob
I guess many of us can agree that the snare trap trend is dying quickly. I really felt that way since day one after I did my first combo video with it. Somehow it just felt like I was ditching it. Had it been a 1 slot move, it would be a different story, but even then, it's not that great.Every rambo I face that uses that move feels easier to beat than any other variation.

Last edited:
Not sure what's known about Rambo, but I've been working on some Landmine setups in the corner. Most seem avoidable, however, I haven't yet found a good answer to b221~db3. If you land it, the opponent will wake up in the landmine. If they do anything other than jump, they eat it. However, you recover quickly enough to d2 or react if they try forward-roll. If they jump, the d2 will hit and send them to the mine, which will launch and allow you to hit with b3~(1+3) (or your ender of choice). Overall, b221~db3-d2-b3(1+3) does 12% plus 27% for a total of 39% meterless damage into a +10 restand.

[Edit] The only issue with the above is that sometimes the mine will be placed too far near the edge so if you do uppercut them, they won't land on it and they can't really be pushed into it. To prevent this, you want to hit the b221 pretty late so they're lower to the ground.

You can also end kombos with b221~db3 to keep the loop going, it seems. Still experimenting.
i have a few setups in the corner where you can put the claymore behind them and the only thing they can do is roll , jump out or lose the claymore trade for waking up ...f122-f1~db3 (this leaves the claymore underneath them) if the claymore lands then you do jump kick at the highest point micro dash standing 3 ~ db3 & it puts the claymore behind them.

Trevor

Noob
does anyone know how to unlock rambos claymore brutality and what are the requirements for it
Not sure when I got it, but I can tell you that after finishing all of his charcter towers (including the boss ones after his regular towers) I got all of his brutalities including the claymore.