What's new

Rambo General Discussion

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Interesting discussions going on!

I always go for crawl. - Now I don't understand why you guys go for a second command grab (fubar, commando).

Imho macetrap is a must as a followup-check after the crawl command grab. Then I went for artillery strike to add further mindgames to his zoning.

I wouldn't see Rambo as a rushdown character at all. But this may be, because I can't find out how to do the 30ish Combos you are talking about! :)

Trevor

Noob
I wouldn't see Rambo as a rushdown character at all. But this may be, because I can't find out how to do the 30ish Combos you are talking about! :)
Here are some good combos for the most aggresive variation. The only one that is really challenging is his 1-bar for 317 damage, but it's definitely worth learning it.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I haven't been able to play much since the patch dropped, but I really want to try Mace Trap, Claymore, and Artillery Strike all at the same time. Turn him into a wild zoner. Depending on how viable the strikes are I can see it being a huge pain in the ass to play against.

Pyrosis

Gentlemen, behold! My opinion!
I haven't been able to play much since the patch dropped, but I really want to try Mace Trap, Claymore, and Artillery Strike all at the same time. Turn him into a wild zoner. Depending on how viable the strikes are I can see it being a huge pain in the ass to play against.
I believe he has potential to be a very adequate zoner, potentially even pretty damn good one considering whip and mace trap lower his hit box below most returning projectiles.

Gaxkang

Banned
The machine gun paired with whip or mace trap can also make for a rather annoying zoning experience for opponent....

But not Scorpion I guess lol :p

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Can someone explain to me why this machine gun is good ? I never thoigh of using it and I like zoning . Seems kinda slow and its a high so you can duck under it .

Trevor

Noob
The machine gun is pretty useless and it can even be punished by characters like sub zero. You are going to do more than enough zoning with whip trap and the bow.

I've been really digging the snare trap and commando variation so far. If you're looking for extra damage along with some sweet corner trapping, those two are the way to go imo.

I want to like the claymore, but for the life of me I can't seem to find any good setups that can force the opponent into the claymore other than a shoulder roll. From what I discover in training mode just for example, at a close distance, something like claymore-amp(you'll get hit by the claymore if you don't amp it if my memory is right)then shoulder roll cancel, f3 seems to work.

But even trying something similar to that, it seems a lot of players are able to option select the crap out of the roll. Maybe I just need to turn the AI on and lab it a bit more. It seems like it has potential.

Last edited:

Gaxkang

Banned
Can someone explain to me why this machine gun is good ? I never thoigh of using it and I like zoning . Seems kinda slow and its a high so you can duck under it .
Well if against the hard counters against zoning it's not good but that's par for any zoning really.

To avoid the machine gun someone just has to duck, but if they get stuck blocking it will push them away a distance really. If someone is jumping and machine gun is going, they will get hit and fall down.

Its goodness may amount to online tactics heh but yeah in combination with whip or mace trap it can make for an annoying experience for opponent.

And a pure zoning Rambo will also include the claymore or artillery too.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
What do you guys do as a meaty?
well his strings take forever so honestly just do d3 and hope you can jail something, that's how it is for most the cast off any old regular hit.
Now if you asking for specific setups like off fubar, the frame data around all of it is made with the mk11 ultimate changes in mind, backthrow fubar you get grab loops, inescapable b2's all that stuff, forward throw you get perfect timed f4's and all that jazz

Pyrosis

Speaking of meatys has anyone labbed any frame kills off of his knockdown? May be that you can stick a normal in after landing a slide to get a guaranteed meaty back 3,3 or something. I'll look through when I can to see if he has something.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Oh something i never really noticed til now

b3 1+3 ontop of being good footsies normal and all that ive said before

just noticed... the 2nd hit does 3% chip by itself, combined with the first hit thats almost 4% everytime they block it

that's... a lot, like a lot a lot for such a basic tool. Like block 3 of them in a round and thats over 11%

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Oh something i never really noticed til now

b3 1+3 ontop of being good footsies normal and all that ive said before

just noticed... the 2nd hit does 3% chip by itself, combined with the first hit thats almost 4% everytime they block it

that's... a lot, like a lot a lot for such a basic tool. Like block 3 of them in a round and thats over 11%
One thing I've enjoyed about Rambo is that while he might not have the scariest frame data, the sheer amount of options he can do on block if he has crawl and the chip he can do from b31+3 mean you almost have to do something if you're just trying to block him out. And if you can force people to do something other than nothing, you're already ahead.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Rambo is really fucked against liu kang lol. There's almost no safe distances for whip trap other than a perfectly spaced close one at the end of its active frames, or just full screen where flying kick doesn't just own it on reversal.

Mace trap is more forgiving at least.

Pyrosis

Rambo is really fucked against liu kang lol. There's almost no safe distances for whip trap other than a perfectly spaced close one at the end of its active frames, or just full screen where flying kick doesn't just own it on reversal.

Mace trap is more forgiving at least.
I lose to every Kang I play against.