What's new

Rambling about the state of Scorpion

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
At the highest execution level there is literally no argument for SR being better than Reborn. Even at my own average execution level I believe reborn is superior.
I'm average as well. Just drill that shit in training. Online is a different story but it's still possible.

Skryba

Noob
While I may agree reborn may be stronger, I'm not so sure it's as obvious as that.

The only string which actually truly benefits from having far TP cancel to make it safe on block is F4,2. Everything else that's relevant is hit conformable without the TP cancel options. B1,4 is hit confirmable to either 3, which is safe, or TP for a combo. 2,1 is +2 and is hit confirmable on its own, to either TP or just stagger pressure. B2 is the one move I can't say for sure... Is it reliably conformable between TP cancel and enhance? I'd say it isn't, but I haven't properly tested it, so I can't say for sure.

On the other hand, SR gets considerably more damage, both with the buff and with F3,2 and 2,1,2+4 strings in combos, and a couple fringe uses for DF2, either as an anti-air against characters with godly jump in which you can't contest with scorpion's normals cough Baraka, Shao, Geras cough or as a chip out tool. If you play a footsies based scorpion without relying too much on F4,2 I'd say SR might be the way to go, simply because the extra damage and tools may very well pay off.

I only started picking up scorpion a few weeks ago, and I've been running SR simply because I don't appreciate the defense meter drain from TP cancels, and honestly I only really feel I could really use the TP cancel for the F4,2 confirms (hence why I really really wish F4,2,3 was safe xD).

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
While I may agree reborn may be stronger, I'm not so sure it's as obvious as that.

The only string which actually truly benefits from having far TP cancel to make it safe on block is F4,2. Everything else that's relevant is hit conformable without the TP cancel options. B1,4 is hit confirmable to either 3, which is safe, or TP for a combo. 2,1 is +2 and is hit confirmable on its own, to either TP or just stagger pressure. B2 is the one move I can't say for sure... Is it reliably conformable between TP cancel and enhance? I'd say it isn't, but I haven't properly tested it, so I can't say for sure.

On the other hand, SR gets considerably more damage, both with the buff and with F3,2 and 2,1,2+4 strings in combos, and a couple fringe uses for DF2, either as an anti-air against characters with godly jump in which you can't contest with scorpion's normals cough Baraka, Shao, Geras cough or as a chip out tool. If you play a footsies based scorpion without relying too much on F4,2 I'd say SR might be the way to go, simply because the extra damage and tools may very well pay off.

I only started picking up scorpion a few weeks ago, and I've been running SR simply because I don't appreciate the defense meter drain from TP cancels, and honestly I only really feel I could really use the TP cancel for the F4,2 confirms (hence why I really really wish F4,2,3 was safe xD).
You can hit confirm or OS b2 into teleport cancel on block or let it rip on hit. you use the away teleport to reset neutral on negative strings instead of letting your opponent have their "turn" then wait for your meter to build back up and do it again with your ranged normals. If you have the life lead your opponent has to go in which can be frustrating. for example after b143 or 112 vs liu kang you have to get f4 mixed up if you don't teleport away before u finish the string.

Matix218

Get over here!

In addition to what orochi said about the b2 or f3 option select (or even hit confirm which multiple players have confirmed can be very consistent) you are also underestimating how much better it is to be able to away teleport after blocked b14 instead of just pressing 3 like you are forced to do in SR. Is it safe? Yes, it is -5. But against scorpion's hardest matchups which IMO are stagger/rushdown characters with fast mids standing in their face at disadvantage sucks but being safe back at fullscreen is fine.

Skryba

Noob
Yeah, I can definitely see what you're both saying. I'll give reborn a try and see if I can get used to the meter management required to use the TP cancels and if I don't miss the extra tools and damage SR gives us.

Btw, how does that OS work, exactly? And thanks for the answers!

Skryba

Noob
Damn, that's amazing. Yeah, barely a couple of matches and I can already see what I've been missing with SR.

The freedom you get from being able to cancel anything into far TP is far too good for SR to compete. It's definitely the stronger version, too bad the combos aren't as interesting, but oh well, can't have everything xD

Thanks a lot, guys!

Parasurama

Dragon
Another change the character to fit your desire thread.
In terms of issues, I can live with tele nerf. The D4 and D1 nerf was uncalled for but at least I can jail D1 into 11 with a good connection.