What's new

Guide Rain Guide

Subby

Frost Warrior
These Uppercut combos are so frusterating!!! I can't get the timing down!

EDIT: WOW!!!! ....Never mind. :D

!

You know I just figured out why I love Rain so much over Kenshi(And no its not because they're both ninjas :p.) I like using Rain mainly because he's legit. I enjoy being challenged with these hard combos and now Im starting to do them flawlessly. The feeling of that is......amazing. When I did this uppercut combo, I had such a feeling of accomplishment I had not done in MK9 since I did my first 30% combo without help of the internet.

Kenshi feels too easy to play. Its not hard to play as him and as such I don't get satisfaction when I win. However, when I play as Rain and I beat someone online to the ground with a rediculous 39% combo (Yes I have done one ONLINE of all places), I say to myself "Yup, I took the time to learn this character, and I kicked your A** becuase I took the time to learn him and not jump in and play and use tactics that are viable the a new player!"

Thats what I like:The challenge.

EDIT 2: 1:15-Did my first Uppercut combo as Rain.
2:10- Did the 50% uppercut combo shown in the OP.

I am officially hooked with this guy.

spin4u

Noob
I think you should update this with the best anti air rain has. It beats in deep hits and cross over hits. Rains BP is an awesome! It beats both jump in kicks and punches, not to mention it doesn't require strict timing.
After BP dash in 4~3, bubble, BnB. Also when you bp/fp a jumping opponent dash in 4~3,bubble then BnB

Needs to be updated in the 1st page.

EDIT: ill make a short video showing this god like easy anti air

Subby

Frost Warrior
I think you should update this with the best anti air rain has. It beats in deep hits and cross over hits. Rains BP is an awesome! It beats both jump in kicks and punches, not to mention it doesn't require strict timing.
After BP dash in 4~3, bubble, BnB. Also when you bp/fp a jumping opponent dash in 4~3,bubble then BnB

Needs to be updated in the 1st page.
His back punch? I never knew.....
Ok so you can juggle a combo with 2 in the air followed by 4,3 bubble? can bubble be replaced by lightning?

spin4u

Noob
You could use the lightning, but it would be less damage unless your going for a reset or mix up. Its best to use the bubble into upper cut, 4~3-lightning

Sasuga

Noob
Good stuff! I need to edit my Sig because Rain is so unfired right now!

(I've been trying to edit my sig for a week actually but I can't seem to find where or how to do it lol. button gone, wtf?)

Subby

Frost Warrior
You could use the lightning, but it would be less damage unless your going for a reset or mix up. Its best to use the bubble into upper cut, 4~3-lightning
Ok, ONE more question I promise :p.
Does it really matter where the uppercut is? Like, does the orb have to be positioned right AT the sweetspot where you uppercut and turn around and dash to do 4,3 , or can you just position your orb high up in front of you, uppercut, and do 4,3?

statik

Noob
hey super thanks for this information u posted its helping a whole lot in my game. rain to me is one of the sickest characters in the game but kitana is too :)

spin4u

Noob
hey super thanks for this information u posted its helping a whole lot in my game. rain to me is one of the sickest characters in the game but kitana is too :)
if your regarding to me then no problem.

D+4 = best poke ever.
D+4, if it connects on a standing opponent you get a free juggle starter from dash 1~2~f+4/3,3,bubble. You are put on a frame advantage if the crouch bk hits a standing opponent not blocking low. Its the same as Cyrax's D+4 where he gets a free 1~1~net.
I have tested it with friend when (against rain and reptile) and on hit they can't punch, uppercut, grab or reptile elbow after a successful hit. SO the position in in your favor.

Please update this in the 1st post

Subby

Frost Warrior
if your regarding to me then no problem.

D+4 = best poke ever.
D+4, if it connects on a standing opponent you get a free juggle starter from dash 1~2~f+4/3,3,bubble. You are put on a frame advantage if the crouch bk hits a standing opponent not blocking low. Its the same as Cyrax's D+4 where he gets a free 1~1~net.
I have tested it with friend when (against rain and reptile) and on hit they can't punch, uppercut, grab or reptile elbow after a successful hit. SO the position in in your favor.

Please update this in the 1st post
Whhaaaa-?
Thats actually a combo? just do the D4 and it counts as a combo when you do 1,2, F4?

Whhaaaa-?
Thats actually a combo? just do the D4 and it counts as a combo when you do 1,2, F4?
No thats not a combo...he's saying that d4 gives you enough frame advantage to get in and start a string without them getting out of it. The opponent can still block after d4.

spin4u

Noob
Correct Cburnham81, but most of the time they try to mash something out and by the time they realize they can't push a button you can just grab them instead.

Pagan

Noob
I love how Rain's mix up is like the cold war. The threat of a 50% combo keeps your opponent blocking while you lay down block strings and tick throws. I ended up liking Rain a lot more than I thought I would in this incarnation.

Is it known that you can hit with your basic FK after Xray? It adds an extra 1% lol

I just keep mashing FK whenever I do Xray.
has anyone tried backwards uppercutting after xray? you can do it after a normal/ex roundhouse but the timing is VERY strict, way harder than a backwards uppercut after lightning.. but i havent been in the lab with rain long enough to see if this was possible

also platypus you can do 4,3 water gun after xray, this is the only thing ive bothered to try

Hrm, seems I'm missing something here. I'm getting 43 xx Bubble xx Uppercut xx (Combo) strings to work IN the corner, not just near it. This has to be common knowledge I'm sure, but I've never seen it in any videos.

So far I've been able to get 55% no meter and 61% X-Ray (after JiPs) that are actually easy and practical.

Hi everyone.

What are you using for your punish combos? That is, after 3 xx db4 OR 4,3 xx db2?

Also, after paying with him a bit, I'm not sure what a BnB combo should start with that won't be a naked punish. If my opponent's not an idiot, landing a JIP should be very hard. Therefore, the most likely way I'm going to hit him is probably with naked lightning (which must immediately be followed by bubble, mitigating combo damage). The other option is a simple mixup with b2,3 and b2, 1+2.

Altaire

Noob
Hi everyone.

What are you using for your punish combos? That is, after 3 xx db4 OR 4,3 xx db2?

Also, after paying with him a bit, I'm not sure what a BnB combo should start with that won't be a naked punish. If my opponent's not an idiot, landing a JIP should be very hard. Therefore, the most likely way I'm going to hit him is probably with naked lightning (which must immediately be followed by bubble, mitigating combo damage). The other option is a simple mixup with b2,3 and b2, 1+2.
There's always going to be a point where you can land a jump-in punch, especially on a crossup. His mixup isn't such a great option due to how easy it is to fuzzy guard, though the B2 3 isn't bad just because it's safe and has good coverage. The only time you should be using lightning is for a guaranteed punish attempt, or from a safe distance. It's only so effective for counter-zoning, due to how slow and how punishable it is, but you can use it to check your opponent occasionally.

Also, you can do lightning into bubble, then follow up with 4, roundhouse, 4 3 spray. I'd only recommend this from 3/4 screen distance or greater. The issue with most of these strategies is that Rain wants to be right next to his opponent wherever possible. His go-to combo is 4 3 lightning, 4 3 roundhouse, 4 3 bubble, after which you drop them above your head and go for a reset.

b2, 1+2 isn't great for the mixup, but that doesn't mean its useless, so don't let people derail you there, they aren't seeing the big picture.
when you are unsure that you will be able to land a combo or jump in punch, b2 1+2 is the best hit-confirmable, mid hitting option he has. It goes first-hit range as long as you don't hold back before the 2 and do it instantly, a range that only a couple of characters have in the game for a single normal starter.
Once the b2 1+2 launches you can dash in and do whatever to keep it going, 43 RH seems to do the job best but you can do loops of b2 1+2 into a 34 lighting if you want to move them to the corner.

3xxRH is probably the best option if you are right in front of their face.

I started with Kung Lao, and he always has an option to HIT someone. I start a string, and they don't know if I'm going low or not. With Johnny Cage, if they're blocking I'm winning and gaining meter regardless, so hitting them is just a bonus.

I'm trying to think of what Rain has to straight up make my opponent guess, or what kinds of advantageous situations he has that no one else is capable of.

It seems like the go to strat right now is to bully with RH cancels, which is fine, but definitely not on Kung Lao's or Johnny Cage's level.