What's new

Rain general discussion

Icefyre

Shadows
Starting to thank he'll be pigeonholed into hydroplane, tidal wave and either hydro boost or palm geyser

Not cause the other moves suck, but this combination just makes him a bit more consistent as a character
Hydroplane and Tidal Wave cannot be equipped together, they conflict with each other. Also, why do you think that about Hydro Boost? It feels to me like palm geyser is the more consistent launcher of the two, not sure the extra damage is worth it personally.

Zviko

Noob
I think I'm gonna use the lightning with Hydroboost once they fix it. I want to play the setup style but without Hydroboost his damage is way too low to play this way. It's just not worth it.

In the mean time I think I'm gonna mess around with what was supposed to be his V1. Yes, even the projectile absorb thing. That D2KB into Quantum Slice KB into FB combo. I want some of that. :)

Has anyone labbed the projectile absorb? Is there anything that it doesn't absorb? And lets say if I amp it so it lasts longer and then dash in while they try to zone me. If it goes off screen is it still active or it disappears?

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I think I'm gonna use the lightning with Hydroboost once they fix it. I want to play the setup style but without Hydroboost his damage is way too low to play this way. It's just not worth it.

In the mean time I think I'm gonna mess around with what was supposed to be his V1. Yes, even the projectile absorb thing. That D2KB into Quantum Slice KB into FB combo. I want some of that. :)

Has anyone labbed the projectile absorb? Is there anything that it doesn't absorb? And lets say if I amp it so it lasts longer and then dash in while they try to zone me. If it goes off screen is it still active or it disappears?
Tbh, I think Hydro boost was originally planned for the corner only

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
So, still struggling to find my groove with ol Rain...

Does anyone have some dirty purple rain setups? Are there any?

Wigy

There it is...
I have just read your status update.

Equip quantum slice, the ability to perform quantum slice in the air, and geyser palm and play an aggressive, mid-range zoning game.

Katar toss starts up and travels so fast that opponents cannot distinguish the regular version from the amplified version so they will be blocking your projectiles a lot.

While they are blocking, use Rain's excellent movement to dash in and throw, jump, force whiffs and punish with f+2,d+4, etc. Use quantum slice once in a while because of its big aerial hitbox like @Wigy said.

If you struggle getting in, EX diving quantum slice is a safe, half-screen "dive kick" that resets neutral. This move must be one of the best in the game.

1,3,3 is your auto-shimmy string. The last hit can actually be crouched so mix up with 1,3,4, which is flawless blockable, or 1,3 xx EX katar toss, which is completely safe.

1,3,3 xx EX geyser palm 2,4,2 xx geyser palm is an easy combo that does good damage.

For all other strings, including 1,3, use the EX geyser kick to launch.

Rain seems very good to me thus far... unless you equip bubble. LOL. I really believe he needs katar toss to be effective.

Maybe geyser palm could be replaced by tidal wave in some match ups, but I need to play a lot more games to come to that conclusion.
Facts^^^^^^^^^

Quantum blade is very underrated.

Even the grounded version is decent.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I really like quantim slice, it just sucks that you lose your armor break to use it. To even get another krushing blow back you need to pigeon hole yourself into using yet another kustom and even then the cost doesn't seem to be worth it.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Early thoughts:

I think the best loadout is Rift, Tidal Wave, and Slice.

Rift lets you lame out/ get in and setup the slice KB for big damage, while Tidal Wave is amazing zoning/spacing tool with a AMP mindgame. You keep your projectile so now you have two ways of safety. You also have the option of unbreakable damage with slice.

Zviko

Noob
In matchups where throwing projectiles is risky like Scorp, Sub,..Water Ball might not be that bad right? Along with Riptide you have 29% restands everywhere on the screen.

In matchups where throwing projectiles is risky like Scorp, Sub,..Water Ball might not be that bad right? Along with Riptide you have 29% restands everywhere on the screen.
The problem with water ball is that its a high. Everybody will just duck it. Rain also cannot use it to make himself safe on block strings. -16 on block. The katar toss is just better because you can make it a mid and use it in block strings because -5 is safe.

The only good use I find with water ball is that its an extender to another extender. Geyser palm combos off of 133 and you can continue to extend the combo with water ball and get some good damage. If water ball could combo off of 133, I would think differently about it since that strings gives you a lot of time to hit confirm into a special.

Zviko

Noob
The problem with water ball is that its a high. Everybody will just duck it. Rain also cannot use it to make himself safe on block strings. -16 on block. The katar toss is just better because you can make it a mid and use it in block strings because -5 is safe.

The only good use I find with water ball is that its an extender to another extender. Geyser palm combos off of 133 and you can continue to extend the combo with water ball and get some good damage. If water ball could combo off of 133, I would think differently about it since that strings gives you a lot of time to hit confirm into a special.
Yeah it's a high but that's why I said in matchups where throwing projectiles is risky, you wouldn't throw them anyway. So you'd use it for punish only. It does combo of 13 so you get a decent damaging combo of 7f punish.

Also you don't need Katar Toss to make anything safe because he's already safe on everything. You can only cover B212 and 134 gap with it if they try to flawless block it.