What's new

Rain general discussion

Agilaz

It has begun
Im getting more comfortable with his ranges and his required execution and find myself doing better with him.

All in all I think he's well designed. It's cool that every special he has is actually useful, just reading through the thread I see people swearing by a different loadout.

I have like, 5 loadouts lol. Haven't put much time into hydroboost or bubble yet. I tend to switch between Lightning/Geyser Palm, Rift/Slice/Air specials and Geyser Palm/Tidal Wave/Jet Stream.

Might actually replace geyser palm with hydro boost in that last one to get the + restand in the corner

Gaxkang

Banned
Doing a jump kick into an amplified Quantum Slice is cool looking and does some nice damage, tho in doing it how inputs register in this can be awkward :eek:

Dante

Noob
Yeah but, you condition them to stand block so that you can then spend a bar to be safe on block that you could be in the first place by hitconfirming the 13?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I lab the move again this time with several different characters. J3 isn't invincible. Most characters d1 can beat it and they get a free juggle. D2 uppercuts works using Jade, Cassie, Rain and Skarlet. Not with characters like Kitana or Kabal. The universal answer is FB.
Good lab work. I found the same tech. In addition, though, all characters can also dash forward and whiff punish Rain if he commits to the forward version of the hydro boost. At the moment, I do not see how this move is better than the geyser kick.

I was also going to post (and I see that @DarksydeDash made the same post in the status update) that using 2,1,2 in combos is dangerous. Being that the string is a dial, if your opponent breaks away, you get punished. We need to adjust our combos.

By the way, I dare anyone to use Rain for a day or two and then go into practice mode and dash back and forward with characters like Erron Black and Kano for a couple of minutes. You will think that your back and forward buttons are broken. LOL. Rain's movement is on another level. Even if the character turns out to be average, the movement certainly distinguishes him from everyone else.

I've been playing erron since day 1 and both mileena and rains movement feels like a different game. Playing around with the lightning is fun, I wish I had the AA but tidal wave feels essential to me. The 134 and 13tidalwaveamp is a two way safe mix.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Good lab work. I found the same tech. In addition, though, all characters can also dash forward and whiff punish Rain if he commits to the forward version of the hydro boost. At the moment, I do not see how this move is better than the geyser kick.

I was also going to post (and I see that @DarksydeDash made the same post in the status update) that using 2,1,2 in combos is dangerous. Being that the string is a dial, if your opponent breaks away, you get punished. We need to adjust our combos.

By the way, I dare anyone to use Rain for a day or two and then go into practice mode and dash back and forward with characters like Erron Black and Kano for a couple of minutes. You will think that your back and forward buttons are broken. LOL. Rain's movement is on another level. Even if the character turns out to be average, the movement certainly distinguishes him from everyone else.
Yeah I quickly found out vs Dab that 2421+3 should never be an ender if they have breakaway. Ending in 134 seems to be OK for the situation but less damage.

Anyone know if B1, D2 works?

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Was watching SonicFox's video playing Rain and they made sure to use 13xxEnder when the opponent had defensive meter, 242xxEnder if they didn't. Using just 13 also doesn't sacrifice a TON of damage anyhow so taking the safe route of 13 aint too bad.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Anyone know if B1, D2 works?
It does, but the timing is strict. You are still punishable by an early break away, though, because d+2 has too many recovery frames.

From my testing, anything ending in geyser kick is safe but leaves you at a disadvantage.

So (insert string) xx EX geyser kick d+1, 1,3 xx geyser kick may be the best option versus break away.

I used to main pre-patch Highborn Kitana and never understood why people complained about the break away system. Now I do. LOL.

This is lame.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
It does, but the timing is strict. You are still punishable by an early break away, though, because d+2 has too many recovery frames.

From my testing, anything ending in geyser kick is safe but leaves you at a disadvantage.

So (insert string) xx EX geyser kick d+1, 1,3 xx geyser kick may be the best option versus break away.

I used to main pre-patch Highborn Kitana and never understood why people complained about the break away system. Now I do. LOL.

This is lame.
I thought doing S3~Argus plunge would armour break off geyser kick launches? Just do that instead if you’re expecting breakaway?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I thought doing S3~Argus plunge would armour break off geyser kick launches? Just do that instead if you’re expecting breakaway?
I have quantum slice, Edenian force, and geyser palm / tidal wave / quantum rift equipped.

A safe, half-screen dive kick that has a krushing blow (with quantum rift) is too good to ignore in my opinion.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Was watching SonicFox's video playing Rain and they made sure to use 13xxEnder when the opponent had defensive meter, 242xxEnder if they didn't. Using just 13 also doesn't sacrifice a TON of damage anyhow so taking the safe route of 13 aint too bad.
One of the things that I love about Rain in MK11 is that we have so many options to end our combos. It can almost be a mind-game in and of itself. My favorite Kustom setup is Geyser Palm, Tidal Wave, and Aqua Splash (Back+Forward 1) so I've been using a few different combo enders like:
  • Standing 3~Argus Plunge
  • 2-4-2-(1+3)
  • B1 (slight dash) 1-3~Aqua Splash
  • F2-(1+3)-4
  • 1-3~Argus Plunge

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

I have quantum slice, Edenian force, and geyser palm / tidal wave / quantum rift equipped.

A safe, half-screen dive kick that has a krushing blow (with quantum rift) is too good to ignore in my opinion.
I use slice//edenian force//geyser palm loadout too :D
I haven’t really labbed anti-breakaway stuff yet. But in this context then yeah what you said is probably what applies to our loadouts. Though I’m perfectly fine with just doing dash up D2 then use the OKI for some more pressure.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
How do you feel about losing a krushing blow and not being able to get the slice one?

I really enjoy the slice but feel hamstringed to having to use the rifts in order to get the krushing blow back :(

Mandolore1123

How do you feel about losing a krushing blow and not being able to get the slice one?

I really enjoy the slice but feel hamstringed to having to use the rifts in order to get the krushing blow back :(
Idk if you’re talking to me but IMO it’s not that bad. I get solid damage off 133 geyser palm anyways and I can chip away at the opponent’s health bit by bit with F3, F4, AMP katar toss etc. Not that the rift is bad but I just haven’t really used it a lot since I’m enjoying what I have now

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
Anyone give me some better alternatives for ending combos with 242.
It is just a pain in the ass to dial those in after Hydro Boost outside of the corner

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Anyone give me some better alternatives for ending combos with 242.
It is just a pain in the ass to dial those in after Hydro Boost outside of the corner
133~ender / 13~ender.

Rain;s combos have this weird guess. They don't do a lot of damage so some opponents will save their meter and not break....others will use their meter to try and punish you with breakaway.

Look into how they break and adjust accordingly.

So 242 amp hydro boost still doesn’t launch in the corner for some reason. :( And max range f2 or b3 amp hydro boost doesn’t combo. This character man. Lol

Mandolore1123

So 242 amp hydro boost still doesn’t launch in the corner for some reason. :( And max range f2 or b3 amp hydro boost doesn’t combo. This character man. Lol
242 used to launch on player 2 side only. I think they didn’t want that so they patched it out. Now it doesn’t launch on both sides :(

I know eveyone hates Geyser Kick. But it offers one advantage that the other launchers don't. While it's death on block you can always just OS it on jump kicks and it will connect at any range, even at crossups to start a full punish. Hydro Boost doesn't connect. Geyser Palm would only work if you jump in closer to the opponent. And Water Ball is inconsistent as well.

Anybody found any use for Riptide?

DarksydeDash

This is lame.
Figured out the best breakaway combo. B1, 124. You're safe and they breakaway in your face with you at the advantage.

DarksydeDash

I love how Hhydroplane lets us hit confirm F2 and S3, aka. Rain's best whiff punishers.

Once again making Rain's customs difficult to decide on.

DarksydeDash

I love how Hhydroplane lets us hit confirm F2 and S3, aka. Rain's best whiff punishers.

Once again making Rain's customs difficult to decide on.