What's new

Raiden Match-Ups Thread

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
For Cetrion, discharge cannot full punish F234, since the last hit whiffs over her head and she remains standing and we lose the advantage. So just use regular discharge instead of AMP. I think we can also IA hop fly after the first hit of DD4 earthquake.

Nevan_PTF

All your mains belong to me!
Yeah that was what I thinking about.

Vs V3. I played against Braindead yesterday and it was pretty x')

Mandolore1123

Yeah that was what I thinking about.

Vs V3. I played against Braindead yesterday and it was pretty x')
I haven't played a competent Avalanche SZ yet (or any avalanche SZ for that matter) so I can't comment definitively my opinions on the MU. What specifically are you struggling with?

Nevan_PTF

Basically any knock down it will let SZ place a trap and go for ice ball "spam", due to this I can't use F2 or F4 to punish the recovery. I have to wait and duck until the trap dissipates and deal with his change of pace, by going dash B3, F2, F2 xx DF4(AMP).

When the trap was not in place I was able to get some F2/F4 to punish but he adjusted doing D3 on those advancing moves, specifically F2. He even punished a couple of times F4 with slide, it was on a read ofc but I make it obvious that I would punish the ice ball like that.

It felt really oppressive haha Braindead is really good and I will record our next sets, if he doesn't mind. There were some things I could've done better ofc, but the change of pace from his SZ to the ones I usually find in KL was massive.

EDIT: spell check

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

Basically any knock down it will let SZ place a trap and go for ice ball "spam", due to this I can't use F2 or F4 to punish the recovery. I have to wait and duck until the trap dissipates and deal with his change of pace, by going dash B3, F2, F2 xx DF4(AMP).

When the trap was not in place I was able to get some F2/F4 to punish but he adjusted doing D3 on those advancing moves, specifically F2. He even punished a couple of times F4 with slide, it was on a read ofc but I make it obvious that I would punish the ice ball like that.

It felt really oppressive haha Braindead is really good and I will record our next sets, if he doesn't mind. There were some things I could've done better ofc, but the change of pace from his SZ to the ones I usually find in KL was massive.

EDIT: spell check
Enlighten us after you play then. This is the purpose of the MU thread after all. I just write down tidbits of what i find useful from my escapades in KL and Kasuals

Nevan_PTF

Aye, I will. We'll play either tomorrow or Thursday and he was fine with recording the sets. I will share the video.

In the meantime will check my options against that Variation.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I hate cetrion, dumb character lol. I have found Raiden does well vs Kano's from my experience as long as he keeps them far and punishes his kano balls. He can interrupt Kano's amped Kano ball the one where he has this slight hesitation before kicking you after the ball. Raiden can punish in between that gap.

MKF30

I'm clueless VS Kano lol they are so rare
I know what you mean, he's literally a dirty character lol I have personally found I do better against him away and countering. I don't like getting in a up close fight with him. His D1 is insanely fast.

Mandolore1123

I'm clueless VS Kano lol they are so rare
Be ready to challenge his plus frames after F1. It’s only +1 so we can’t let him get away with that for free every time. Remember that his F1 also reaches us after DF2 on block but we can back dash and avoid. We can’t do discharge to stuff it because it’s 10f and discharge after DF2 is 11f. Stay outside the range of F1 and we can whiff punish easily. We match his damage blow for blow in Raijin. Crouch block his air Kano ball and the AMP follow-up flys over you and you get a free punish iirc. Full screen he has a better projectile than we do so I don’t recommend zoning him, especially in Ratbag because he can punish BF1 with his own KB.

Mandolore1123

V3 Joker: Our F4 can punish Joker’s BF2 if we crouch block it. However it is quite tight. Not sure about stand block yet, needs more testing. However this bring us into a much more favourable position against V3 Joker.
RIP us, we actually can't punish. Sorry I'm stupid. Pushes us back too far with certain strings and at certain distances

MKF30

I have had success vs ring master with tw, she struggles vs his zoning and keep away. I cant speak for raijin but I do know that variation gets zoned out hard. I've zoned out good Raidens in raijin in kl with wu shi liu kang and hes by far my weakest main. You can wavedash against her, get in but her rings are great for keeping you far and on block pushes you farther. So I would not go with Raijin or Truth & Light, but TW. Just my opinion on that match up.

Last edited:

Nevan_PTF

are there any ways to make raijin vs ring master not hopeless?
It's not hopeless, you just gotta be patient, work your way in and don't her get away with nothing. She jumps DB2, duck rings, block the mid one if she AMPs it and put Quick Charge up, you will have time to block if she sends a ring.

Once you have quick charge active, chip damage becomes insignificant. You can duck the regular rings, but gotta stay alert because the orbital drop is an overhead and will hit if you are crouch blocking.

Saving meter for Discharge is really key here and you can store it really easily, just block rings and orbital drops. Then you have a 6f answer to most of her stuff.

Don't try to zone her, don't use DB4 at all, you will lose on the trades because her projectile does more damage than yours. The only situation I might use DB4, with quick charge, is when I get a DF2 or BF3, to tag her if she tries do send a ring out.

Against any zoner, when you walk them to a corner they'll want to get out, so be on the lookout for forward rolls or jumps out of the corner. Keep them in the corner with your tools.

I have positive win rate vs Sonja and doing the above works. You just have to be really chilled and be, extremely, patient. Block and walk, get quick charge up, and move towards her.

Best of luck!

MKF30

Full screen Raiden's lightning strike stuffs out Sonya's start up on ring toss and turret, he can do this in TW since he has a teleport that he can place himself near or far. That would be how I do it. I'm not saying he is a better zoner than Sonya, just that he is capable out getting around her zoning and can zone her, move around her and beat her with patience. That and if he gets the life lead, you realize she has to chase you down which Raiden can easily avoid via teleporting.

Yes, pick Thunder Wave
Bingo.

Mandolore1123

Full screen Raiden's lightning strike stuffs out Sonya's start up on ring toss and turret, he can do this in TW since he has a teleport that he can place himself near or far. That would be how I do it. I'm not saying he is a better zoner than Sonya, just that he is capable out getting around her zoning and can zone her, move around her and beat her with patience. That and if he gets the life lead, you realize she has to chase you down which Raiden can easily avoid via teleporting.

Bingo.
How are you stuffing out a 12f projectile with a projectile that starts up at 27f? The best you can manage is trade and even then it’s never in our favour. Sonya doesn’t need to play catch-up with Raiden. She out zones him easily and up close she has 50/50s. She does more damage than TW as well. The only way I see TW winning is making lots of good reads on rings and using TP to punish. But TPs can be baited and punished easily and TW will be starved of defensive bar from using far teleport for mobility.