What's new

Racist Basketball fans mad at Mexican-American Boy singing the National Anthem at Heat vs Spurs game

Dann

Noob
Are you serious? This post is pretty fucked up. I shouldnt even need to explain why what you said is not true in the least bit. Yes, muslims can sing the national anthem in a turban (though wouldnt that make them sikhs?) if they want. We should have literally no problem with that because believing in whichever god resonates with their soul is their prerogative in this country.
its about etiquette and respect. One you memorize the lyrics, two you sing it to the best of your ability without defiling it with over the top vocal tricks, three dress appropriately. Being of a certain nationality, race or religion does not give you a right to bypass this code. I hate people who think because you are of a different nationality its ok to change american culture. I hate people who think they can use religion to bypass rules stablished in America. It reminds of a story in the news a few years back of a muslim woman who wanted to take her driver's license picture with her whole face covered except her eyes. The boy fucked up wearing a mariachi outfit. When you sing the national anthem you dress appropriately, you don't wear what you feel like. I find it highly insulting that anybody would dress inappropriately to sing the national anthem and I am an immigrant myself.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Whether people want to accept it or not, minorities have an advantage in aspects of life that actually matter when it comes to schooling, education, and admissions.

Let me go cry the race card...
They actually don't, and while affirmative action sometimes goes too far there's a legitimate reason for it. Minorities perform more poorly in academic settings, and not because they're less intelligent or less able. It's due to factors like stereotype threat, racist disciplinary practices (leading to decreased interest and performance), etc.

People who sing the national anthem are usually dressed appropriately for the occasion. Him wearing a mariachi outfit to sing the american national anthem is like him wearing a mexican flag accross his chest. Next thing you know we are going to have muslims wearing turbans to sing the national anthem, african american wearing african clothing etc. There is a code and a tradition behind the singing of the national anthem. wearing something like a mariachi outfit is untraditional and i will even go as far as to say it is disrespectful. The national anthem is sacred and ingrained in the American culture. No matter your ethnicity when you sing the national anthem you should respect the traditions behind it.
People will look American when they're wearing a Clash t shirt but not anything representing non-American darker skinned cultures from what I've seen.

I don't get why someone's labeled by their ethnic origin rather than American unless they're white or black. I want someone to tell me to go back to Italy with my filthy green eyes.

The funny thing is, American culture is just a combination of mixed and mashed customs from other foreign countries. Years of intermingling and exposure from past immigrants are what formed the frankenstein that is america. Apple pie, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, baseball, St.Patricks Day, Pizza Rock n roll etc. These are staple american things that are foreign in origin. The thing is, this country always needs a scapegoat, and Mexicans are it now in modern times. There was a time in this land when Irish, Eastern Europeans, and Italians were discriminated against and considered inferior and non american. Hell, some were even lynched, especially italians. They also had the shit jobs and worked for peanuts, and were considered an invading threat. Does it surprise you that the best old time boxers were predominantly irish italian and jewish? After a century they have all now become part of american culture. The same will happen with mexicans, it will just take time for it to happen. Unfortunately the stereotypes will probably linger as they did for the aformentioned groups.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
They actually don't, and while affirmative action sometimes goes too far there's a legitimate reason for it. Minorities perform more poorly in academic settings, and not because they're less intelligent or less able. It's due to factors like stereotype threat, racist disciplinary practices (leading to decreased interest and performance), etc.

People will look American when they're wearing a Clash t shirt but not anything representing non-American darker skinned cultures from what I've seen.

I don't get why someone's labeled by their ethnic origin rather than American unless they're white or black. I want someone to tell me to go back to Italy with my filthy green eyes.

So you are trying to tell me (someone with personal experience) that minorities don't receive special treatment when it comes to post grad education?

Go take a gander over at the Student Doctor forums and check the "What are my chances" sections for minority GPA/MCAT scores and wanting to apply as "Underprivileged" or something along those lines.

If you have a sub 30 MCAT as a white dude with a 3.5 GPA and a 3.4sGPA, good luck getting an interview at any MD school in the US. You're only hope is Caribbean schools. If you're a minority, a 24 MCAT and 3.2-3.5 GPA will get you into a good chunk of Medical Schools (maybe not top 15 schools but still).

Hey, I want to have more diversity in Medicine, race wise. I think it is awesome. But to say minorities don't receive special treatment when applying to Medical School is ludicrous.

Grades don't mean shit in my opinion. I think medical schools lays too much into GPA and MCAT especially. I have encountered complete idiots that went to Harvard and I have encountered amazing Physicians that went to a community college for their first two years of Undergrad.

The more diversity the better, but until we get to the point of swaying away from "It's all about GPA/MCAT" we need to be fair and balanced.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So you are trying to tell me (someone with personal experience) that minorities don't receive special treatment when it comes to post grad education?
They do. They're also at a disadvantage when it comes to achieving the requirements for admittance. Until the achievement gap can be explained by purely socio-economic factors, and when discrimination in admittance is no longer a problem, affirmative action is a good thing, even if it sometimes goes too far. That was my point.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
You are aware that statistically (and practically) we have one of the shittiest heathcare systems of all first world countries, right?

Edit:

nevermind, didn't realize I was responding to a moron.

I only speak facts based on real world experience.

Enlighten me on your first hand experience of the Medical field, admission process to medical schools, the procedures you perform on a daily basis, how much Levophed you administer in a patient with hypotension secondary to sepsis with a BP 78/38, creatine of 4.8, BUN of 112, HGB of 7.4, K of 2.9, SPO2 of 68% on 4 liters via NC... What solution will you run?

What's your plan for this patient Doc?

Educate me with all of your wisdom oh great keyboard warrior.

Benzo

Vic Stone
Why does this thread exist? This mentality has been here since our country has been created, just get over it.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Why are people mad at something said over Twitter? That's like being mad at something said in the YouTube comments.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I think the funny part is, most of the people (if you can call them people) were either black/asian/prolly irish.

Lulz MUHHRRIIICIAAA

BigC

I'm great in my world.
Really? This is the shit that makes me hate this country...
Little Kid had more balls than any one of those people who tweeted.

Isn't it just as bad that the person writing the article is anti-white? Who cares if racists don't like it, it's not like there's ever going to be a time where no one is racist. Welcome to being human.

Isn't it just as bad that the person writing the article is anti-white? Who cares if racists don't like it, it's not like there's ever going to be a time where no one is racist. Welcome to being human.
why not?
people will only continue to be racist if people allow it to continue. if you leave a bunch of kids like 2 years old alone in a room they'll play with each other (and probably cry about being hungry, lol) regardless of color, gender, nationality, etc.
there's no reason that this cant also be true for adults

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Nothing you wrote refuted what the Gabriel said. You just tried to quash the issue by showing everyone how knowledgeable you are about medicine. Also, your'e arguing like super advantages don't exist in all walks of life regardless of ethnicity. Any potential medical student who has parents, grandparents, uncles, etc.... who are physicians already has an advantage over any other non legacy student pursuing the same career. lol. Life is not fair. It is what it is. People do not all make it by hard work alone. That's a fantasy. George Bush has degrees from Yale and Harvard. Swinging your credentials around a video game forum is kinda douchey.

HE DREW FIRST BLOOD, NOT ME.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371131396.220392.jpg

why not?
people will only continue to be racist if people allow it to continue. if you leave a bunch of kids like 2 years old alone in a room they'll play with each other (and probably cry about being hungry, lol) regardless of color, gender, nationality, etc.
there's no reason that this cant also be true for adults
People will continue to be racist so long as they have eyes.

People will continue to be racist so long as they have eyes.
Our world continues to have more types, cultures, nationalities, etc. of people in more places. When we no longer live in segregated worlds (e.g. old world/new world, east/west, etc), then the only reason for racism will be learned and taught.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Maybe racism will cease to exist once all the ignorant people and the parents who raised them that way die off completely. Maybe... just maybe..

Maybe racism will cease to exist once all the ignorant people and the parents who raised them that way die off completely. Maybe... just maybe..
It's not that simple. I think there needs to be a larger scale project of re-education. What we all think we know about the race discussion is not, has not been, and will not be sufficient to achieve a desirable future if we continue how we have been approaching it.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Sadly there are racist ppl but dont give them attention and dont make it look like there are more racist ppl then there actual are, if u have to look for tweets from ppl with names like "the white power" then your doing it wrong...

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
? Explain.
Ok. The simple existence of the stereotype that blacks underperform on tests, for example, makes them perform worse. When this factor is reduced, they perform on the same level as everyone else. Blacks are also significantly affected by disciplinary practices. So, for example, if a black kid is caught saying the word "fuck", he/she is much more likely to be sent to detention or reprimanded in some way than a white kid. This decreases interest in school, decreases motivation, and furthers the school to prison pipeline. These are a couple of things that prevent racial equality in schooling and achievement.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Sebastion is singing it again tonight! Good for that kid man despite all the idiots! You go little man!

aj1701

Noob
I don't know. I think they will cease to exist eventually.
Human nature is to divide into groups, and will find arbitrary reasons to do so. Each group then ends up competing with other groups... its just in our nature. All life competes, we've learned that cooperating in small groups is better than going it alone.