What's new

Racist Basketball fans mad at Mexican-American Boy singing the National Anthem at Heat vs Spurs game

I never said that. It is harder on a kid. I mean they already have low self-esteem biologically... :(

I am just saying an older person would realize that the world is ignorant and get over it... it is much harder for a child to come to that conclusion.
why should they get over it? i think there needs to be responses to racism because the biggest incentive to continue being racist is that you can get away with it.

Things like this or a hurricane brings out the best in some people and the worst in others.
I think the problem with this logic is that necessity interferes with altruism. I respect people for when they do when they dont need to much more than what they do during "an atrocity." It ends up being much less historic, but much more meaningful IMO

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
why should they get over it? i think there needs to be responses to racism because the biggest incentive to continue being racist is that you can get away with it.
I suppose so... I mean society itself doesn't allow for racism to thrive. I mean people like you call it out... eventually it will cease to exist. One of the biggest problems is humor regarding race. It reinforces that it is okay. Eventually a few generations out... people will not be teaching their children about racism. I mean we are coming close already.

He's saying it's hard on kids because they don't get why people are so mean. Kids don't understand the world, they're still new to it, to them it's this big wonderful place and they don't get why people treat others like crap for being different.

Not that it's any more understandable as an adult, it's still pretty fucking retarded but as an adult you know that you can't change everyone's viewpoint especially if they are unwilling to change. You can teach to fight ignorance but there's always gonna be at least one person out there that refuses to stop being ignorant and because of that there's always gonna be unfairness in society.

It's like a saying I've heard, as long as there are at least two people on the planet there will be someone to hate and kill with a gun.

Doesn't make it right, I'm not defending it at all but the fact is some people will choose to be hateful no matter how you try to show them how irrational it is.

You can teach people to be more tolerant only if they are willing to learn and there will always be one or two who are not willing to do so and will spread that hate by teaching it to their kids. It's like war, you can make it happen less often but you can never truly make it go away as long as people are willing to find an excuse to fight and refuse to negotiate.

I suppose so... I mean society itself doesn't allow for racism to thrive. I mean people like you call it out... eventually it will cease to exist. One of the biggest problems is humor regarding race. It reinforces that it is okay. Eventually a few generations out... people will not be teaching there children about racism. I mean we are coming close already.
Ideally you'd be right, but i think socially you're wrong. The system of political correctness allows racism to thrive, but you just cant say it out loud unless you have enough voices to drown out your individual shouts. You can be racist and teach racist tendencies without calling every black person a [ban incoming], hispanic a spic, asian a chink, etc. That is the IDEOLOGY of racism that is far more pervasive than simple racist acts.
I'd like to apply the discussion of race to this talk by Slavoj Zizek:
at 3:12-7:15 (to 11:55, but for the short version you can stop at 7:15) he discusses ideology
38:00 discussion of meta-rules (i love the part around 42 about the prohibition of stating prohibition and then the discussion of stalinism)

I suppose so... I mean society itself doesn't allow for racism to thrive. I mean people like you call it out... eventually it will cease to exist. One of the biggest problems is humor regarding race. It reinforces that it is okay. Eventually a few generations out... people will not be teaching their children about racism. I mean we are coming close already.
Racism and sexism will always exist.

We as a society just won't let it get as common, widespread and bad as it was in the past cause we see that doing so holds us back as a society.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Claims America is the worst country with the fattest, most stupid, and "ingnorant" people in the world...

Rushes to USA to have life saving medical treatment because their healthcare system is incompetent...

Tavaski

Get tough, or die
What pisses me off even more, are those other minority folks posting racist tweets. You'd believe minorities would support and uplift each other. Whenever I see another black brother in uniform as myself (Army) I commend him, especially if he's infantry, but the racist fuck out there would look down on him and say he's not worthy of fighting for uncle sam.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
What pisses me off even more, are those other minority folks posting racist tweets. You'd believe minorities would support and uplift each other. Whenever I see another black brother in uniform as myself (Army) I commend him, especially if he's infantry, but the racist fuck out there would look down on him and say he's not worthy of fighting for uncle sam.
Racism isn't black and white... racism is spread across all races...

I don't know. I think they will cease to exist eventually.
In a prefect world, but this world is far from prefect.

The bad news is it will always be there, just as people will find any excuse to murder or fight wars.

The good news?

Thing are much better now then they were before, and they keep getting better and will continue to do so. We are not gonna go backwards and be the 1950's again. People won't allow it cause a lot of them see that we are better off now then we were before, before we let hate hold us back and it made us weaker. We're a lot stronger as a society when we lets those with potential become something better instead of not letting them do so over trivial differences they were born with.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Racism and sexism will always exist.

We as a society just won't let it get as common, widespread and bad as it was in the past cause we see that doing so holds us back as a society.

I don't know what planet everybody else is living on but Blacks and Latinos have a SIGNIFICANT advantage when applying into post-grad schools. That includes Law, Medicine, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Education, etc.

A person of Caucasian race that has a better GPA, higher MCAT, more research, and more shadowing will lose a spot at a school to a "minority" with significantly inferior statistics. Not to mention residency spots and matching with your preferred speciality.

African American female wanting to enter gen surg but have shit STEP1 and STEP2 scores? Ahhhh, fuck it, you are a black female, come on in.

Is that discrimination or does the door only open one way?

Whether people want to accept it or not, minorities have an advantage in aspects of life that actually matter when it comes to schooling, education, and admissions.

Let me go cry the race card...

Edit: Im not attacking you Living Corspe, I just wanted to quote your post because it had some relevance to my post. <3

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
In a prefect world, but this world is far from prefect.

The bad news is it will always be there, just as people will find any excuse to murder or fight wars.

The good news?

Thing are much better now then they were before, and they keep getting better and will continue to do so. We are not gonna go backwards and be the 1950's again. People won't allow it cause a lot of them see that we are better off now then we were before, before we let hate hold us back and it made us weaker. We're a lot stronger as a society when we lets those with potential become something better instead of not letting them do so over trivial differences they were born with.
That is essentially what I meant. I know bias will never truly be gone... but eventually it will get to a point where most of us wont even know what the bias is for or why the bias is based on race...

Racism isn't just white people hating on other ethnicity.

It's any ethnicity hating on another ethnicity (whites included). =/

That is essentially what I meant. I know bias will never truly be gone... but eventually it will get to a point where most of us wont even know what the bias is for or why the bias is based on race...
Admitidly it would be nice to live in a world where people like this end up like the KKK.

Scary and a threat in the past.

A complete joke everyone laughs at today and doesn't take serious.