What's new

Strategy - Warlock Quan Chi Warlock Variation Discussion Thread

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Yep, this has happens against Tremor plenty of times for me, rune probably works too but since I don't play the other variants I don't need to use it as much.

If her fan game is on point, you will 100% always trade on projectiles, because there's so much hitstun on a fan it's never put back to an even situation fullscreen.
Something I should've mentioned at casuals on Saturday, if this happens using Warlock, because of the removal of auto-block on skulls you can actually true combo a business kick afterwards because of the recovery being altered by the incoming projectile.

You can pretty much do this against any projectile trade provided it doesn't stun (MOS Ermac's Soul Ball and the likes).

B324, 4, Trance, F2122, RC, 14, PG 33%

B32 MB Close Rune, Trance, F2122, RC, 14, PG 31%

Why? Burn meter for less reward? I guess you can get a possible mix up in there. Just seems counterintuitive to me.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Well, after struggling to find any current warlock vids I guess it's up to me to give the community what they (don't even realise they) want. Been having a ton of fun picking up warlock again! He really does feel like a solid, well rounded character that isn't too crazy in any particular regard.

I'll be uploading a few video's in the next few days, so keep posted. First two vids will be a ft10 with a kenjutsu kenshi and a lazy set with an unstoppable Jason. :)

Deoxys243

Leader of The Salty Spitoon
I like th
What's up fellow Warlock players?! Im always looking for ways to improve my game and would like some constructive criticism/tips. Below is a set I had with a pretty solid Reptile player. Please check it out and discuss.

i like the way you handled the matchup. You stayed aggressive throughout the match and did solid combos and setups. You also had good usage of the low scoop EX, which I believe is a great tool if you use it a lot even if you get blocked. There are a few things I would suggest for your Quan Chi and for this this specific matchup.

When fighting nimble reptile, I don't think he can block when he is in that slowed down state, so I almost always land the ex scoop when they use that move. It's extremely disrespectful but I never miss it.

Another thing I would recommend is to be careful when doing a raw NJP, you can get punished for it and especially against a character like reptile, you don't want to be on defense. d3 is a good option because of how fast it recovers, and you can sometimes get away with a d3 cancel into close rune. Assuming you NJP trying to catch their cross-up, d3 is also better because it recovers fast enough for you to react to their jump-in and do another d3 to anti air them.

Other than that, I think you played solid. Maybe some other people can give some better input but hopefully mine helped you :)

Tweedy

Noob
Been putting some time into Warlock. EX DF2 seems wack unless you're trying to comeback or they're at throw life. I'd rather save my meter on making my next 50/50 safe or the threat of EX scoop.

Edit: Also, why is regular scoop -5 on hit? Quan doesn't need buffs, but why can't it be +5 on hit, or something?

Last edited:

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Been putting some time into Warlock. EX DF2 seems wack unless you're trying to comeback or they're at throw life. I'd rather save my meter on making my next 50/50 safe or the threat of EX scoop.

Edit: Also, why is regular scoop -5 on hit? Quan doesn't need buffs, but why can't it be +5 on hit, or something?
I typically use it to either make up a life lead or close out a round.

Unless I drop it on stream, in tournament like a choad. But those are my main uses for it.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm

I typically use it to either make up a life lead or close out a round.

Unless I drop it on stream, in tournament like a choad. But those are my main uses for it.

gibster13

A fan of fans
What do I use warlock for ? Spacing ? And if so what shall I focus on.? I play summoner and sorcerer. Don't even say counter zoning cuz plz...it's mkx

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
What do I use warlock for ? Spacing ? And if so what shall I focus on.? I play summoner and sorcerer. Don't even say counter zoning cuz plz...it's mkx
I think Summoner and Sorcerer both basically cover the same MUs, and Warlock is just used in match ups where the opponent has better offense than Quan and/or offense which requires a launcher to escape effectively.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
I decided to start trying to play Warlock because it's fairly straightforward and fits how I play. What are some must knows for this character?

Are there any vids of this variation post patch? I cant figure out why to use him now that low grab has no armor. There is not reason to stand block against quan if f4 doesnt come out so i dont see the point of it. I am trying to learn warlock just to use the troll kick lol

yeah, i'd also like to get into warlock simply because of how cool his portals look. it's a shame his nerf affected the only part of the variation that most people think makes him worthwhile (and that his new armored reversal doesn't even work most of the time), but it'd be nice to know if i can basically plug his f4 into the spot where his b2 used to be (and not use his portal slam as a reversal) and get to work or if the variation is somehow more fundamentally changed by the patch.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
yeah, i'd also like to get into warlock simply because of how cool his portals look. it's a shame his nerf affected the only part of the variation that most people think makes him worthwhile (and that his new armored reversal doesn't even work most of the time), but it'd be nice to know if i can basically plug his f4 into the spot where his b2 used to be (and not use his portal slam as a reversal) and get to work or if the variation is somehow more fundamentally changed by the patch.
Watch Iluusions games with Warlock in the Kombat Cup. It shows off what the character can do in the meta right now. He's niche for sure but he still has his uses.