What's new

Strategy - Warlock Quan Chi Warlock Variation Discussion Thread

Awesome stuff) as I suggested not a single Ex Portal Stab used, all the standing resets are created through trance and either f21, d3 or f4 on hit, all the meter saved for armor and safe footsies, safe 50/50)
I actually like how Warlock functions against Kitana with all the anti zoning tools)

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Not at all, I am really wondering how other players' ( who play mostly offline ) experience with Warlock differs from mine. That is why I am asking if you play offline a lot to make sure we are on the same page.
I have already thanked Cabjoy, and I will thank you for your suggestions. I really want Warlock to work. That Is why I started looking into him for the second time)))
As I said some of this options just don't work for me, against the players I play and their characters. And I truly feel that Warlock is greatly meter dependent, that is why I am suggesting things, but of course buffing any QUan's variation at this point will cause a shit storm.
And I do believe that you have more experience with this variation than me. I remember arguing with you about it couple like a month or two after the launch) I have been playing Summoner mostly. So I am not discrediting anyone.

By the way I have a suggestion in balancing Summoner, I want to make a thread about it, think it will be a great way to get away from all those non-constructive Nerf Quan threads
No worries dude it's just a matter of trying different things and seeing what works. Just gotta make a conscious effort to change your gameplan at times.

tra101

Noob
Awesome stuff) as I suggested not a single Ex Portal Stab used, all the standing resets are created through trance and either f21, d3 or f4 on hit, all the meter saved for armor and safe footsies, safe 50/50)
I actually like how Warlock functions against Kitana with all the anti zoning tools)
his resets are sick, i love it, i think warlock is viable.

This is most likely known, as I'm not a Tech Finder, but I noticed last night that I can anti air Portal Kick the opponent when they jump. If your opponent jumps you can Portal Kick them on reaction. The sweet spot is when they are on the down side of their jump arc right before they hit the ground. I've noticed when you lock them down full screen with Rune, MB Rune, Skull, and Portal Kick they tend to jump a lot. This is perfect to further frustrate the opponent. Portal Grab/Stab may work too. Stab on a mid screen jump run/throw/50/50 may turn into something. Have you guys used this and how well does it play into your strategy?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
This variation needs more Ice Box.

In all seriousness, this is the only variation of Quan I really enjoy, as I'm not a huge fan of the hexes or Puggles, and I love having a decent wakeup/one of the best Brutalities/getting to stare at the gorgeous hue of the portals throughout.

Idk why, that color is just hypnotic.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
No Warlock guide. Gunna ask here.

I love Quans defensive options, the backdash, NjP, and massive range on his overhead are awesome and his projectile game is sick. however while he has great defensive options he obviously can't be played rdefensively for the most part in his other two variations except when he has to because the pressure game is harder for him to get out of once they get started. I like how this variation has the armor to give him another options once players ARE in and pressuring, and as such could be played a bit more versatile

Just wondering, exactly how else is this character unique? What are the other strengths of this character variation, in comparison to the rest o? His damage seems pretty average, so give me a quick rundown on him if any of you got time . Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
Eh, you pretty much nailed it with Armor.

F3 is the other tool. Play around with when you use it. Some match ups I really like to throw that leg out there and touch some ass. Other times I may very well leave it alone, then throw it out seldomly to catch an unsuspecting opponent. Its a lot of fun ending a round (match) with F3, especially when the opponent forgets you even have that option available.

As for pressure, you have Quans low and overheads available, so as long as you have meter you're fine there. Something to try is ending your combos with F3. It leaves them in perfect range of your B2 and catches quite a few folks off guard. Once they're on to that, you can simply end with F3 and run in for a low starter/grab/tickle fight.

If you land a far ex. rune, end it with a F3 instead of another far rune. Its swag as fuck and makes all the summoners jelly.

Try to forget about Ex. Portal Stab. The reset is a good thing, but meter is just too important for Warlock. If you're snowballing, or in a getting-rekt-do-or-die situation, feel free to go for it. I just personally don't feel anymore that the burned bar is worth it, considering the other meter free options available.

God Confirm

Thanks for the reply

OK, well instead of comparing him to other QC variations, how about in comparison to the rest of the cast? Why play Warlock over any other character with a decent armoured launcher?

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
You got me there. I mained Quan in MK9 and it carried over to MKX, so a lot of it for me is all personal preference.

If I had to give another reason, i'd probably go with the fact that he's really, really fun to me. He doesn't have all the traps and set ups quite like other characters (or even his other variations), but if you win as Warlock, i'll be damned if it doesn't just feel so.....right.

Warlock requires you to make solid reads, finish your combos, and overall teaches you to just stop pressing buttons all the damn time. If you're great at blocking other characters mixups well, Warlock is a very rewarding character variation to play.

If you're looking for something he does super dirty, or something that will give players serious issues, then you can stop here, he doesn't really have that. He rewards you for playing good defense and punishing gaps in strings (~30% off of armored scoop)

TBH, I really only play him anymore because its who I started with, and after giving Summoner and Sorcerer a go, I didn't like how "flow-chart" they felt and went back to playing Warlock; at the expense of me never progressing further than an occasional top 8 at our weeklies. (Not to say that i'd be placing all the time if I played Summoner, i'd just actually be using a character that has some dirt rather than Honest-Abe Warlock)

Last edited:

God Confirm

You got me there. I mained Quan in MK9 and it carried over to MKX, so a lot of it for me is all personal preference.

If I had to give another reason, i'd probably go with the fact that he's really, really fun to me. He doesn't have all the traps and set ups quite like other characters (or even his other variations), but if you win as Warlock, i'll be damned if it doesn't just feel so.....right.

Warlock requires you to make solid reads, finish your combos, and overall teaches you to just stop pressing buttons all the damn time. If you're great at blocking other characters mixups well, Warlock is a very rewarding character variation to play.

If you're looking for something he does super dirty, or something that will give players serious issues, then you can stop here, he doesn't really have that. He rewards you for playing good defense and punishing gaps in strings (~30% off of armored scoop)

TBH, I really only play him anymore because its who I started with, and after giving Summoner and Sorcerer a go, I didn't like how "flow-chart" they felt and went back to playing Warlock; at the expense of me never progressing further than an occasional top 8 at our weeklies. (Not to say that i'd be placing all the time if I played Summoner, i'd just actually be using a character that has some dirt rather than Honest-Abe Warlock)
Awesome, so basically its just playing MKX, with Quan's footsies. I'm cool with that. B2, NjP F3 and that Backdash are enough dirt for me

I too was not interested in the style of play and lack of versatility from Summoner and Sorcerer, nor does there stupidly OP status entice me very much I'm more happy with a balanced character. I'm going to stick with Warlock. Seems perfect for what I'm looking for and suits my play much better than the other two variations

hey if your warlock and u think your nice, ill 1v1 u i wanna test my skills and see how my warlock is compared to another elite's. my psn: frosthazed

Goat-City

Banned
I think Warlock is just about perfect, but a few things are bothering me about him that I might like changed. I wish portal stab had slightly faster startup and better tracking so it could be used as an anti-air. When I get knocked down in the corner, I still feel somewhat defenseless because not only can I have my armored launcher blocked and punished, but people can just NJK and not have to guess at all. Someone told me if I think they're gonna NJK me, I could do a wakeup uppercut, but that seems like it would get beat every time so I'm not sure about it. Has anyone tried this?

Also, I think the grounded skull and maybe even the normal rune have too much recovery. Warlock needs meter for his armored launcher, which is the main benefit of the variation, but he struggles getting it more than his other two variations because they have better tools for zoning all day with little risk. When I'm playing against Kung Lao, Kotal Kahn, Tanya, Sonya, Erron Black, or any other character with a long range JIP, fast run speed, or a mobility tool like a dive kick or a slide, I'm risking a lot for very little reward by trying to zone them to build meter for Warlock's tools and general offense, while the other person only needs 1 well timed run in followed by a jump or a mobility special to full combo punish me for trying to zone from full screen. I should at least have time to block their JIP after I throw a normal skull from a full screen distance away. Same for rune, its recovery is just too slow to be a reliable zoning tool against half the roster. If he got these changes, I'd put him right on the same level as sorcerer.

Last edited:

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
how does sorcerer deal with that MU? with proper armour circles?
Not well at all IMO.

If her fan game is on point, you will 100% always trade on projectiles, because there's so much hitstun on a fan it's never put back to an even situation fullscreen. Her fans recover fast enough a ground rune doesn't punish, and are just high enough she tends to avoid the runes hitting the ground.

Her reversal hits twice at the same time, so it breaks quan's armour very easily. When you have her in the corner, she has the biggest reversal you have to respect which makes the armour pretty pointless. It's also very difficult to rune trap her because of her tiny hitbox.

If I stil played competitively all the time, I'd DEFINITELY pick up Warlock for top kitanas.

i found that warlock is a mix up variation where ur gonna bring out your hat of tricks that the variation possesses to win ur match. variation holds mountain of potential to the right players