What's new

Strategy - Warlock Quan Chi Warlock Variation Discussion Thread

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
How is it not a combo?
I think what he meant is that its a combo leading into a reset, its not a 60%+ whatever combo. Reason being is that the oppenent is free to block after the reset. Since they have an ability other than breaker to get out of this I wouldnt really call it more than a vortex combo myself. Compare this to MK9 Cyrax, where his reset left the opponent open and the only way out was to either break or hope the Cyrax drops it. THAT is a legit large percentage combo. This is more of a 30+% combo with a standing reset, which we are all very much aware of.

If you wanna add a bit more damage, go for f2122 - run- 14 en. Stab instead of f212. Timing is of course harder, but blah blah

Glicnak

Noob
I think what he meant is that its a combo leading into a reset, its not a 60%+ whatever combo. Reason being is that the oppenent is free to block after the reset. Since they have an ability other than breaker to get out of this I wouldnt really call it more than a vortex combo myself. Compare this to MK9 Cyrax, where his reset left the opponent open and the only way out was to either break or hope the Cyrax drops it. THAT is a legit large percentage combo. This is more of a 30+% combo with a standing reset, which we are all very much aware of.

If you wanna add a bit more damage, go for f2122 - run- 14 en. Stab instead of f212. Timing is of course harder, but blah blah
Oh, well yes. I thought i had specified it went into a reset. I did in the video. Just figured aince i hadnt seen it up on youtube id post it

People !!!!stop calling two combos connected by a mix up a combo and writing these ridiculous damage numbers. If you wanna argue that it is a reset and the potential damage is there, then take into account the fact that Quan has a vortex and potentially has a combo with infinity % damage:confused:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
This is the variation I use simply because I always mistime the bat vortex (making it not a vortex) and because I really haven't figured out how to effectively maximize the armor in Sorcerer. This is definitely the noob-friendly variation. It's still a lot harder to play well than most characters, but definitely the easiest of the three to jump into.

I play mostly Summoner so I am just starting to explore Warlock. As I understand you shouldn't use meter with Warlock for Ex Stab to set up a vortex. I don't think it adds enough damage to use it over meterless vortex set ups (like Jip f21 after trance). I will start looking into this variation but I think meter should only be spent on MB Rune for safe footsies and safe vortex or on armor on Ex Scoop on wake up and to blow up gaps in other character's strings. I imaging ex stab can be used rarely as a counter zoning tool.

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
There aren't that many Warlock players out there I know except for myself and only one other guy. Everyone else who at least plays Quan Chi uses Summoner. The Warlock heroes must grow. I feel very comfortable with him and he may even overlap my first main Erron Black one day. He typically has more solutions that my other characters don't have. With his combos, I feel like there can be a lot of improvising and new things to find that I still haven't found yet. F3 for the win.

B2 charged doesn't seem to benefit the Warlock variation for me. Does it for any of you guys?

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
I have the hardest time knowing when to pull the trigger with quan. I got outzoned by balanced Kenshi. Id block and counter with far rune but he would block and counter. Not sure what I should've done different. I tried throwing out f3 but had no success and portal grab wasn't doing the trick neither. Another problem I have is mix ups. I wanna incorporate f2122 but hell I only have success with that when I punish. So I'm relying on b2 and b324. I've conditioned myself to be in your face at all times but its so hard to do. Another thing is poking. Do you all use d1 or d3? Plus is the best follow up b2?
With Kenshi most players dont know ex rune is a low. so if they fall for that I use ex trance but only when im really desperate to get close. or you can jump db 2. Kenshi cant hit quan from that high up. For me if they block the first part of f2122, and they block high I use f212 and cancel it with df1 to go low.In the middle of a trance combo I use f21 as a reset because its safe and they never expect it . and I poke with d1 and use b2. But not every time.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Absolutely. That and F3. Warlock's biggest issue is that his variation specific moves constantly whiff in the neutral game.
I almost wanna say don't fix the tracking and make it an overhead so that his zoning becomes a mix up too :p But I feel like that'd never go anywhere. Also Portal Grab is a high isn't it?

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I almost wanna say don't fix the tracking and make it an overhead so that his zoning becomes a mix up too :p But I feel like that'd never go anywhere. Also Portal Grab is a high isn't it?
Nah, they're all mids. Portal grab, EX Portal grab, F3, 21F3, etc. They just have horrible tracking and shitty hitboxes. Anything moving forward, even a ton of normals, cause it to whiff. I really wanted F3 to be a good whiff punisher full screen, but any forward advancing moves will fuck it up.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Nah, they're all mids. Portal grab, EX Portal grab, F3, 21F3, etc. They just have horrible tracking and shitty hitboxes. Anything moving forward, even a ton of normals, cause it to whiff. I really wanted F3 to be a good whiff punisher full screen, but any forward advancing moves will fuck it up.
Until Warlock gets fixed I guess I'm staying with Sorcceror. I wanted to be able to do the portal zoning

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Until Warlock gets fixed I guess I'm staying with Sorcceror. I wanted to be able to do the portal zoning
I'm in the same boat. For some reason, I refuse to play summoner. It just seems kind of cheap to me. There's nothing more I'd love to see than Warlock get some tweaks to fix his glaring problems, but considering how our community functions, I'd be crucified faster than Jesus if I asked for Quan buffs.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I'm in the same boat. For some reason, I refuse to play summoner. It just seems kind of cheap to me. There's nothing more I'd love to see than Warlock get some tweaks to fix his glaring problems, but considering how our community functions, I'd be crucified faster than Jesus if I asked for Quan buffs.
Same exact position here. I've even tried to lab Summoner and I just can't find it in me to do it. I always end up switching back to Warlock or Sorcceror. And I think our community will tone down the biblical wrath if the buffs are focused dead onto Warlock and nothing else.

shad0ki11er 27

Time will only tell the Greats
so i just started with this character and would like any help with stopping getting pressured and help on stopping mileena so any help I would be thankful on this but also I am playing Warlock I feel like it fits how I like playing.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
so i just started with this character and would like any help with stopping getting pressured and help on stopping mileena so any help I would be thankful on this but also I am playing Warlock I feel like it fits how I like playing.
If you're warlock wake up EX Portal scoop. Armored and goes into a combo. That's the best you got because Quan Chi sucks in the corner and while getting armored. Like it's the worst in the game. If you get up close and pressured you'll get bodied so learn to block, use your breakers and hope for mistakes. This is the only situation in which Warlock hsa an upper hand and it's because of that armored wake up.

shad0ki11er 27

Time will only tell the Greats
If you're warlock wake up EX Portal scoop. Armored and goes into a combo. That's the best you got because Quan Chi sucks in the corner and while getting armored. Like it's the worst in the game. If you get up close and pressured you'll get bodied so learn to block, use your breakers and hope for mistakes. This is the only situation in which Warlock hsa an upper hand and it's because of that armored wake up.
thanks for the help

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
Quick question for anyone who wants to throw in their opinion.

Haven't played in a bit, alternating between Summoner, Warlock and Kenshi. I always tend to play a footsie/rushdown style, so im purposely trying to just zone at the moment.

With Warlock Quan, when do you find it proper to use F3 instead of his other zoning options? (Rune, Skull, Air Skull, trance)

F3 is probably my most favorite move in the game, but I find that unless you need to touch the opponent immediately (i.e stuff a teleport/fireball/waking up without blocking/clone/etc) its fairly dangerous to throw out. Have you found any success with F3 other than randomly throwing it out?

I'm not trying to hate on it. I love F3. But where exactly do you place it in Warlock Quans zoning arsenal?

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"

Haven't played in a bit, alternating between Summoner, Warlock and Kenshi. I always tend to play a footsie/rushdown style, so im purposely trying to just zone at the moment.

With Warlock Quan, when do you find it proper to use F3 instead of his other zoning options? (Rune, Skull, Air Skull, trance)

F3 is probably my most favorite move in the game, but I find that unless you need to touch the opponent immediately (i.e stuff a teleport/fireball/waking up without blocking/clone/etc) its fairly dangerous to throw out. Have you found any success with F3 other than randomly throwing it out?

I'm not trying to hate on it. I love F3. But where exactly do you place it in Warlock Quans zoning arsenal?
I use F3 to stop my opponents from setting up things that require a distance away from me. It works really well against Zoners. Also it stuffs people on wake up depending but thats not always the case. Basically, when you use F3, you are asking for your opponents to get over here!

Do keep in mind that move is not a hard knockdown. The opponents can roll away. It is not the best fast tracking move, but it comes out fast.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
I love warlock, f3 is life.
can't go wrong with scoop
is summoner really that much stronger?
how much do your BnB do?
can't do more than 34/36 consistently

Man, this thread is dead. 2 pages only? Thought there would be more Warlock discussion by now.

So, besides F3, what are some good neutral position normals to engage an opponent with, mix them up real good. Something with a good block stun?

Speaking about block stun...

Played against several Predator's today. That b2, 2,d2 spear move is safe as hell on block. He went from that into d3 before I could react with my d3. Wtf?!

What are Warlocks options in such a scenario? (When you're locked into stun during a normal spam face off)

*I know I can go to the lab for all these questions. which I will, just thought I'd engage in a social setting and see what more I can learn from the community mind*

Last edited:

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm

I don't think f3 is bad at all. Typically, i use it in the counterzone war.

For example, take BS Shinnok. If he's chucking plasma mercilessly at you, you can duck and do f3 and the f3 will interrupt the next projectile.

Using it as a Reversal to projectiles isn't bad, either. It's true that you get more damage from stuff like mb Rune, but each portal kick pushes them a little closer and costs no meter.

So I mostly use it as a counterzoning/conditioning tool. Once they start looking for it, you can zone more.

I'm not saying it's better than trait bat, because it isn't.

But I think it complements this variation's toolset well.

While there is a boatload i need to look into, i think it could be an okay whiff punisher for stuff that recovers too fast for b1/b2.

I also disagree with Legion666 and think that portal stab in combos us very useful. It's true that without meter it's unsafe, but the reward of 60-70% with one bar and a right guess is worth it sometimes.

An unsafe 50/50 is still a 50/50, they could guess wrong. If they don't, you could use the meter you were going to use to make your guess safe for your wake up attack, which is an armored launcher.

Also, i think MB Scoop is very useful for stuff like D'Vorah cancel pressure, string gaps, blowing up counterpokes, etc.

I like this variation and i think it has it's uses.

D

Deleted member 9158

So I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seems to be the most logical place (instead of starting a new thread)

With the new patch, Quan gained a meterless overhead launcher with his B2. If you hold it, it pops them up in the air leading to more combo possibilities. This morning I stumbled upon a practical use for this new B2 launcher. It's slow, so just throwing it out randomly will only get you punished. HOWEVER, after an EX portal scoop, you have ample time to do it. Basically, end your combo with an EX portal scoop, and immediately B2. This will catch them on the ground, causing a reset to happen. So long as they don't wake up with an armoured attack, that is. If they wake up without armour, or try to backdash, or whatever, they'll get hit.

For instance: B324, 14 trance, F212 EX Scoop, B2. And then whatever combo after. I apologize for not having a video, but this is a cool set up that's now possible with the new patch.

Last edited by a moderator: