What's new

Quan Chi Post-Release General Discussion

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Found more meterless trap setups into 50/50's and some Metered ones. But there is definitely higher damage setups and way more optimal routes:

With Scorpion, Meterless Trap Setups into 50/50 and we know there are 50% combos with Quan/Scorpion Kameo:

Quan Jax Meterless Trap Setups:

Quan Jax 1Bar Trap Setup into a meterless trap that if blocked is +7 to +9 on block:

Meterless Trap Setups with Jax:

Quan Sub Zero Kameo EX Sky Skull Trap Setup with over 80% sequence:
One more along those lines:

Ok so I talked with Foxy just not on his stream and he's saying the Trap is not very good because 13/B31 is fuzzyable and Quans pokes/mids are 9f poke or slow so he doesn't have anything off the trap. But I'm legit getting stuff off it and found kameoless, meterless trap setups that you can force them into it.
I know you can do the trap setup with Kung Lao
I know Foxy is on another level but he's very Zoning minded not Rushdown and Sonic, Xombat, Dragon and Dink are all saying Quan is good with setplay and full screen zoning/space control.
He is right about the Sub Zero and Scorpion setups I made, they will only work online because 13/B31 is fuzzyable.
But I'll look for Lao hat setups because it closes Gap of 13 and makes it a legit 50/50 HTB that can go into trap setups.
Foxy did show me you can use zoning into Lao hat full screen to set them up into Bone Cage with the hat which at minimum guarantees DB3 portal setup.

Anyone got any good kameoless Trap Setups, I'm on limited time.

Foxy's take is Quan is a good zoner but he can do strong runaway with Kitana that's easier to win compared to using a complicated Quan space control method.
If Quans D1 was 7f and his D3 was 9f with good hit advantage I believe he'd be decent up close because jailing into 12 is strong with that crazy hit advantage

What's everyone's thoughts

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Ok so I talked with Foxy just not on his stream and he's saying the Trap is not very good because 13/B31 is fuzzyable and Quans pokes/mids are 9f poke or slow so he doesn't have anything off the trap. But I'm legit getting stuff off it and found kameoless, meterless trap setups that you can force them into it.
I know you can do the trap setup with Kung Lao
I know Foxy is on another level but he's very Zoning minded not Rushdown and Sonic, Xombat, Dragon and Dink are all saying Quan is good with setplay and full screen zoning/space control.
He is right about the Sub Zero and Scorpion setups I made, they will only work online because 13/B31 is fuzzyable.
But I'll look for Lao hat setups because it closes Gap of 13 and makes it a legit 50/50 HTB that can go into trap setups.
Foxy did show me you can use zoning into Lao hat full screen to set them up into Bone Cage with the hat which at minimum guarantees DB3 portal setup.

Anyone got any good kameoless Trap Setups, I'm on limited time.

Foxy's take is Quan is a good zoner but he can do strong runaway with Kitana that's easier to win compared to using a complicated Quan space control method.
If Quans D1 was 7f and his D3 was 9f with good hit advantage I believe he'd be decent up close because jailing into 12 is strong with that crazy hit advantage

"Good with setplay" usually means you're going to get bodied by people that know the matchup inside and out.

"Good with setplay" usually means you're going to get bodied by people that know the matchup inside and out.
Or good with setplay means they guess wrong 2X and die.
But the only way I can make his trap setups S Tier is if I find throw combos. I'm gonna test Cyrax next because he's one of the few characters that can combo into Net which now steals a bar. I believe I can find a timing outside of net setups that allow combo into forced Trap and if I just get 18+20% off a throw then he's legit 50/50 char and can be used in neutral to full screen with wild TOD sequences.

But if he has no throw combos he's basically trash up close and mid range and really only good fullscreen as zoner and from what I hear he's not the best zoner but solid.

Ok I did it, He has legit mix off his Trap Setups, one touch can end up in a 100% sequence from a couple wrong guesses.

Quan Jax gives crazy Throw setups using the Unblockable move, so you can do the overhead sky drop right after the Unblockable hits and it guarantees at least 20% damage off back throw, it beats Wakeup Jump, Backdash, Armor and if they Armor you get 25% meterless and most of all because of the sky drop it loops:

Here's the Jax Trap setup which can be done meterless but I like the extra time to get portal buff out if they are conditioned to block instantly and not jump, Quan has anti airs anyways, so 30% into trap setup with minimum of 20% throw setup or 30% trap setup into 45% combo with Jax, it's a legit 50/50 throw/low mixup:

Basically any touch even his S4 poke half screen into EX Sky Skull or anything into Jax can setup these forced Traps.
Let's say you miss the trap setup, your +9 on block from meterless trap that guarantees 12/13 jailed.

Now let's say you mistime the back throw into Jax Unblockable into BF4 overhead drop kick, the worst that happens if you spend meter is a few characters can armor out like Sub Zero slide but it puts Sub full screen where Quan can start the zoning again and has time to get portal buff out on his recovery.
With that portal buff out you can do BF1 a high mid mid that +18 on block into DB1 a triple diagonal mid that covers most of the screen and is +9 on block making them hold another projectile and you can mix it up between regular straight skull a triple Purple Skulls or EX BF1 which ears all projectiles and teleports them for combo which allows another Trap setup with Jax

My overall opinion of Quan right now based on what we know currently is that he's strong and dirty in certain areas like fullscreen and setplay. He struggles up close but does have several tools to stop a characters approach and his overhead drop is a very good armor escape tool into mix.

I wish his D1 was 7f and -8 on block

Last edited:
this is not that practical and it doesnt even work full screen,it starts to work slightly farther then round start distance. that s4 is a high punishable on whif esspcially at the distance requierd for this coversion to work(potentially full combo punish depending on the character used).

i guess you could try to hunt it after a combo into a portal setup
I know his S4 wiffs on crouch block vs Shao Klaus Skin EEK
Yeah but if anyone can pull it off it's Sonic, I think it's used more so to catch good players wavedashing in Footsie battles lol
But I'm actually proud of the Quan Jax Throw/Hit Trap Setups with 25% Throw Loops.

if whiffing on crouch block was not enough,you also can up block qunas standing 4 lol,and he cant cancle it and its -36
I tried inserting quotes but it bugged. So I'll do it separately, not trying to clutter.

I guess we better use S4 full screen followed by mid projectiles to keep it safe. That's pretty bad, I think AF0XYGrampa did one of the purple projectiles and it was force blocked after S4 and +18 on block, then DB1 triple mid diagonal skulls covering 80% off screen that's +9 on block and BF1 again a high, mid, mid that's +18
Basically gotta hold all that in certain matchups.

Last edited:
I know his S4 wiffs on crouch block vs Shao Klaus Skin EEK
Yeah but if anyone can pull it off it's Sonic, I think it's used more so to catch good players wavedashing in Footsie battles lol
But I'm actually proud of the Quan Jax Throw/Hit Trap Setups with 25% Throw Loops.
yeah i saw that with jax,its interesting great job,he is a fun character and quan is my top 3 favorites of all time in mk really been enjoying him especially labbing conversions,but man some of these safeguards just dont make sense i guess time will tell how strong he is competativly

yeah i saw that with jax,its interesting great job,he is a fun character and quan is my top 3 favorites of all time in mk really been enjoying him especially labbing conversions,but man some of these safeguards just dont make sense i guess time will tell how strong he is competativly
In case you've picked up Jax Kameo, I found multiple meterless trap setups that are damn good.
The 25% Throw unblockable into Falling Death has a very specific timing and if you don't get it right they can armor, depending how far there's travels (Sub, Lao, Tanya, Ashrah all Escape) but if you time it right, they can't get out and it armor breaks.
What I do is I wait to press R1 till I see circling his hands with the green glow trail, then on reaction press R1 Jax Unblockable then as soon as I'm recovered I BF4.

Also if anyone is mad about his pokes being trash on block and slow and constantly getting annihilated by Johnny up close, This is what I do and it's the Ultimate "F Johnny" Tool:
Johnny can't ever pressure you close up if you use this before he gets going or poking his highs and it puts him right where you want him. And while it's up he can't Shadow Kick and you have multiple mid projectiles and S4, but be careful because S4 does wiff all crouch blocking opponents (I hear) I've only confirmed Johnny and Shao

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Enters Thread, laughs in Raiden

I've been absolutely mauling Quan up close with Raiden and really have no problem getting in. I really feel like Raiden is going to be one of Quan's worst MUs. Much like Mileena, he has absolutely no answer for a meaty storm cell and that spells disaster. Pretty much everytime I clip Quan I'm doing 10-13% chip into favorable distances after Kano assist. Due to his absolute dogs shit pokes and normals, I rarely find myself in unfavorable territory position-wise.

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
Off the bat I def think Quan Chi needs some changes and I'm glad I'm not alone in this thought. I also found a cute synergy with Motaro's teleport letting you to confirm ANYWHERE with 4.

EX DB3 can KINDA be used to force your opponent to whiff but it's so mediocre and relies HEAVILY on the travel speed to be useful. It CAN stop forward advancing specials in their tracks but until the travel time gets increased.
  • Increase moving speed of EX DB3
  • Increase travel speed of BF1 and variants
  • Allow DB3 to be moved while in the air
  • AT LEAST MAKE HIS D1 7 frames
  • Make DB3 follow us automatically or follow faster
  • Make 3 special cancellable
Quan Chi/Motaro

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Also if anyone is mad about his pokes being trash on block and slow and constantly getting annihilated by Johnny up close, This is what I do and it's the Ultimate "F Johnny" Tool:
Johnny can't ever pressure you close up if you use this before he gets going or poking his highs and it puts him right where you want him. And while it's up he can't Shadow Kick and you have multiple mid projectiles and S4, but be careful because S4 does wiff all crouch blocking opponents (I hear) I've only confirmed Johnny and Shao
I really think that EX portal is going to be a key part of Quan’s gameplan. People are treating it as an ‘extra’ at the moment and not using it very much, but it feels like it was designed to be the answer to some of his struggles up close.

The better Quan players will be the ones that make use of every single tool he has, rather than the ones that try to get him to play everyone else’s game.

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
I really think that EX portal is going to be a key part of Quan’s gameplan. People are treating it as an ‘extra’ at the moment and not using it very much, but it feels like it was designed to be the answer to some of his struggles up close.

The better Quan players will be the ones that make use of every single tool he has, rather than the ones that try to get him to play everyone else’s game.
It's gonna be used the same way Kitana's windbomb is used.

Off the bat I def think Quan Chi needs some changes and I'm glad I'm not alone in this thought. I also found a cute synergy with Motaro's teleport letting you to confirm ANYWHERE with 4.

EX DB3 can KINDA be used to force your opponent to whiff but it's so mediocre and relies HEAVILY on the travel speed to be useful. It CAN stop forward advancing specials in their tracks but until the travel time gets increased.
  • Increase moving speed of EX DB3
  • Increase travel speed of BF1 and variants
  • Allow DB3 to be moved while in the air
  • AT LEAST MAKE HIS D1 7 frames
  • Make DB3 follow us automatically or follow faster
  • Make 3 special cancellable
Quan Chi/Motaro
you can use the jump cancle technique to pseudo special or summon kameo cancle 3 if you have the execution for it,not getting tbat much milage of it,i guess it being special canclable on block would be nice.

Yeah the throw into trap is good
But everything else is fake. It's the mistake made, all of the setups into Sub Freeze start off 13 or B34
The problem is both you should never get opened by because you block Quan Low to high and cover all options but his 12f starter 2144/213/214xxDB4 which don't combo unless you use the low 2 Bar DB4 starter.
This is the Same Mistake I made on my Scorpion and Sub Zero Kameo setups I posted that Foxy explained is trash competitively.
Quans only Mix is from Throw/B3
The 214xxEXDB4/2144 is legit but high risk medium reward. The scaling on the tentacle is very dumb for spending 2 bars.
Not trying to discourage anyone. Quan is good just has to be used a certain way.

Enters Thread, laughs in Raiden

I've been absolutely mauling Quan up close with Raiden and really have no problem getting in. I really feel like Raiden is going to be one of Quan's worst MUs. Much like Mileena, he has absolutely no answer for a meaty storm cell and that spells disaster. Pretty much everytime I clip Quan I'm doing 10-13% chip into favorable distances after Kano assist. Due to his absolute dogs shit pokes and normals, I rarely find myself in unfavorable territory position-wise.
His answer to Raiden, Johnny, Kenshi is poke-EXDB3 and EXBF4
It pushes Raiden out of range and makes any move not reach, connect, hit, or chip and can be done any time he wants.
Also for Raiden if people just learned flawless block, Raiden could do that all day and it would take 5X as many uses to even get close to killing.
Every time Raiden does storm cell or electric fly one of two things happen, I punish or I push him away with EXDB3 and Raiden can't do anything about it.

What are Quans doing to your use of Storm Cell?

But if I asked for any buff to Quan it would be D1 7f startup and -8 on block.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
In my opinion, in order for Quan Chi to be viable, you have to use Sareena as the kameo. Some of these setups would have to be overpowered if you were to win with a character that essentially has no safe mid string.
  • Sareena provides Quan Chi with additional health points.
  • f+2, forward kameo (single blade) jails and becomes safe, even advantage on block from further ranges, so you have a safe mid attack.
  • f+2, forward kameo guarantees a safe portal activation on hit.
  • Back kameo (double blades) offers meter-less conversions after every string and allows Quan Chi to save meter for combo breakers and EX d,b+3.
  • The staple combo is any string, 2,1,4 being the most damaging one, back kameo, forward dash b+3,4,2, 1,3, standing 4, d,b+4 or forward dash f+2,1 for safe portal activation.
  • After back kameo, forward dash, standing 4, d,b+4 connects full screen. Obviously, EX d,b+4 also works. So does forward dash, standing 4, back kameo, forward dash b+3,4,2 if wish to use the full kameo meter.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Yeah the throw into trap is good
But everything else is fake. It's the mistake made, all of the setups into Sub Freeze start off 13 or B34
The problem is both you should never get opened by because you block Quan Low to high and cover all options but his 12f starter 2144/213/214xxDB4 which don't combo unless you use the low 2 Bar DB4 starter.
This is the Same Mistake I made on my Scorpion and Sub Zero Kameo setups I posted that Foxy explained is trash competitively.
Quans only Mix is from Throw/B3
The 214xxEXDB4/2144 is legit but high risk medium reward. The scaling on the tentacle is very dumb for spending 2 bars.
Not trying to discourage anyone. Quan is good just has to be used a certain way.

His answer to Raiden, Johnny, Kenshi is poke-EXDB3 and EXBF4
It pushes Raiden out of range and makes any move not reach, connect, hit, or chip and can be done any time he wants.
Also for Raiden if people just learned flawless block, Raiden could do that all day and it would take 5X as many uses to even get close to killing.
Every time Raiden does storm cell or electric fly one of two things happen, I punish or I push him away with EXDB3 and Raiden can't do anything about it.

What are Quans doing to your use of Storm Cell?

But if I asked for any buff to Quan it would be D1 7f startup and -8 on block.
That assumes that you are landing his D1, which I almost never get hit by because it is 9f. Additionally, I'm never doing Storm Cell unless it is covered by Kano. After Kano I'm plus on block and also have a hit of armor. If I think you are gonna mash I will walk backwards and wiff punish for a full combo. Quan has absolutely no answer for a storm cell that is covered by Kano. Which means that after every single combo I can get a free 6-8% chip into a favorable spacing and plus frames.

As for flawless blocking Raiden, it is much harder than "just do it"

So the other day when the patch came out, I wanted to lab the Sub Kameo Buffs and played with the Ambush shoulder:

I found some cool stuff over the past two days:

Nothing too big, but maybe it'll give someone some ideas. Probably too expensive to be practical, but basically cover gaps and/or be crazy plus off any string. Plus a 22% throw.

Edit: I'm dumb, didn't notice Cold Shoulder does 0% damage during the throw.

Last edited:
That assumes that you are landing his D1, which I almost never get hit by because it is 9f. Additionally, I'm never doing Storm Cell unless it is covered by Kano. After Kano I'm plus on block and also have a hit of armor. If I think you are gonna mash I will walk backwards and wiff punish for a full combo. Quan has absolutely no answer for a storm cell that is covered by Kano. Which means that after every single combo I can get a free 6-8% chip into a favorable spacing and plus frames.

As for flawless blocking Raiden, it is much harder than "just do it"
Ok the flawless block is easier after 1st patch but I completely agree with you now. I labbed it and I found some disturbing things.
So he can loop StormCell Kano Ball can be gapless with +7/+10 on block which effectively turns his F2 into a 7f Mid let alone his other buttons. He can alternate starter for different timings forcing you to flawless the beginning of Storm Cell which makes you eat 2-4% chip.
Even when I get D1xxEXDB3 Raiden can go through it with Superman and F21 times correctly and Teleport if timed right but worse:
4xxDF2 goes through on punish and Storm Cell pulls Quan back in for Storm Cell loop and on hit confirm into combo and block into +10 the cycle continues!

I hope Quan gets a 7f D1 that's -8ob
And make EXBF4 less trash and I'll be eternally grateful and happy