What's new

Quan Chi Post-Release General Discussion

That assumes that you are landing his D1, which I almost never get hit by because it is 9f. Additionally, I'm never doing Storm Cell unless it is covered by Kano. After Kano I'm plus on block and also have a hit of armor. If I think you are gonna mash I will walk backwards and wiff punish for a full combo. Quan has absolutely no answer for a storm cell that is covered by Kano. Which means that after every single combo I can get a free 6-8% chip into a favorable spacing and plus frames.

As for flawless blocking Raiden, it is much harder than "just do it"
Okay labbed it a bunch and that is not a fun matchup I'll give you that. But I finally did find something. Even when Raiden's+10 on block from Kano with no gap, if Raiden presses any button:
Poke/242/12/F2/F4 anything I can EXBF4 as armored reversal right off Kano Ball last hit on block. The Armor soaks up that plus frames.
I know online is damn near impossible to consistently flawless block but I can do it on most of his strings into StormCell by Flawless Blocking the first hit of Storm Cell and some of his strings like 242 and F22 I can flawless block the gaped hit pretty easily offline.
But the problem I see is online plus different timings from different strings. So pretty hard online for sure. But at least Quan has Armor reversal into trap setups and can steamroll from there. Not even gonna try to zone Raiden with that Electric Fly/Teleport.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Okay labbed it a bunch and that is not a fun matchup I'll give you that. But I finally did find something. Even when Raiden's+10 on block from Kano with no gap, if Raiden presses any button:
Poke/242/12/F2/F4 anything I can EXBF4 as armored reversal right off Kano Ball last hit on block. The Armor soaks up that plus frames.
I know online is damn near impossible to consistently flawless block but I can do it on most of his strings into StormCell by Flawless Blocking the first hit of Storm Cell and some of his strings like 242 and F22 I can flawless block the gaped hit pretty easily offline.
But the problem I see is online plus different timings from different strings. So pretty hard online for sure. But at least Quan has Armor reversal into trap setups and can steamroll from there. Not even gonna try to zone Raiden with that Electric Fly/Teleport.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news on this one... But I will just do another Storm Cell off Kanoball lol. It eats your armor. I do this to: Baraka, Mileena, other Raidens, Smoke, Quan, Havik, and others I can't think of off the top of my head.

If one of those characters I mentioned does try and armor then the second Storm Cell will break the armor, I'll be plus again with Oki, you ate a Storm Cell (8%), you lost a bar, and I saved a Kano ball to do it all over again if I want.

I usually do this pretty early on in my matches to deter armor, get a life lead, build meter, and start playing lame to bait jumps and build frustration. Just adds to the mind games.

Side note. After Kanoball I back dashed or block to bait things and then punish accordingly if I don't have a second Kanoball to cover me. The amount of times I catch people mashing would blow your mind. Straight up free throws or combos depending how bad they wiff. I feel like people get this sense of urgency against Raiden and want to mash because he takes half chip a bunch and can turtle a victory pretty easily against a good amount of the cast.

As for flawless blocking Raiden. I will do the DUMBEST shit into storm cell. 1~Storm cell. 2,4~Storm Cell. Or, my personal favorite: d1~Storm Cell. Fuck, I'll. Do a straight up raw Storm Cell mid screen if I think you are gonna advance (I do this with EXBF2 a lot too and it straight up vaccumes people in for a combo).

Point of saying this is that a good Raiden will change up strings all the time to really throw you off. Then that is where the Strike/Throw game really comes in. I usually am throwing the FUCK out of people. Gimme dat Kano recharge time...

Also, yes, I am most definitely as annoying as it sounds to play.

Last edited:

Plop

Noob
I take back what I said about bone cage being useless. Was messing around in the lab with Sub kameo last night. If you juggle into it with launcher-f4fk-ex bonecage-f4, this bounces them into the cage and ends the combo with enough advantage to do a mk9 style crossover safejump into whatever.

If you wanna replace the f4 after ex bonecage with a quick dash into 214 it'll restand them into the cage and continue the combo with them standing. You can end with a skull or something and leave them in front of you at like +8 or something (cant remember) OR if you replace the 214 with 12 you can cancel into OH skull and be +14. I suppose you could FB too.

Getting the restand combo continuation can be a bit finicky. Kinda feels like it's not supposed to happen so wont be surprised if it's patched out.

Ok whats going on here,because when i do the ex db1 the attack data says overhead mid for me and i can stand block it,is this hotfixed or is there a differnce between platfroms,im on pc steam.

and also how is he doing the exdb1 with the zone of power buff without the addtional projectiles
It says OH low for me, you have to stand just outside the portal to get the alternate down skull.

But I will just do another Storm Cell off Kanoball lol. It eats your armor. I do this to: Baraka, Mileena, other Raidens, Smoke, Quan, Havik, and others I can't think of off the top of my head.
After Kanoball I back dashed or block to bait things and then punish accordingly if I don't have a second Kanoball to cover me. The amount of times I catch people mashing would blow your mind. Straight up free throws or combos depending how bad they wiff.
Yes I'm aware that things can beat Quans SkyDrop which is pretty bad tracking. But I've tested it with Raiden and it is a read to do Storm Cell right off Kano Ball so either you do it, bait it or going into string and get beat by Armor.
But if you delay and wait to blow up buttons and give up your plus frames, Quan can go back to neutral, he has a top 10 backdash and Quan absolutely wins in the neutral but Raiden definitely has a advantage in this matchup but all it takes with Quan is one touch to snowball. There are +35 RESTANDS, unblockable throw into trap setups that beat all wake-up options but delay and Quan is in considerable advantage after opponent delay wakeups and can react accordingly. Has 80% 2 touch Sequences that are legit 50/50's
25% Throw Loops, 50% midscreen combos, 38% meterless combos(depending on Kameo) and I believe there are different Kameos for different matchups.
And tons of other dirt. Obviously Quan's pokes are trash and so is his EXDB3 push portal, but he does have options. Not saying it's not in Raiden's favor, it definitely is because he has options to punish almost everything Quan can do (not including Kameos) if he makes the reads.
But let me put it this way, Raiden can do do +10 while keeping it gapless before Kano Ball.
Quan can make his trap setups +60(a full second) and easily do +35 Restand Trap combos. He can also combo off traps but that's not important here, only if Quan is using Motaro or Lao Kameo.
So Quan can do the literal same thing to Raiden, he has his buff mid combo into trap setup into 12% chip because he can jail S4 triple Skull string Triple Skull and use footsies to put space Raiden into wiff punish while baiting Electric Fly/Teleport.
It actually took me seeing Ninjakilla using Quan to realize how he can be used optimally vs Raiden/Cage. And Cage can literally punish everything Quan does.
Ninjakilla (Quan) playing Xombat(Raiden) and Ninjakilla was doing very well and normally They go 50/50 on long sets. So it wasn't that Ninjakilla was a superior player, in fact I'd say Xombat may be better at MK1 (for now)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Everyone’s thoughts on zoning with quan chi?
Portal b,f+1 is one of the best projectiles in the game.

Instant aerial b,f+1 is very good, but good luck with the execution using the PS5 controller.

Teleport is a solid anti-zoning tool while standing 4 is an excellent block and whiff punisher.

Quan Chi can punish certain special moves anywhere on the screen (i.e., Geras's sand storm and time freeze, Kenshi's overhead slash, Scorpion's spear, Sektor's teleport when used as a kameo, any version of old Shang Tsung's ground skull, etc.) that no other character can.

Unfortunately at this time, the character seems to have a plethora of "safeguards" (i.e., 900 health points, 9F d+1 that is -10 on block, EX launcher that requires two bars, slowest armored attack, horrendous mid attacks, etc.) to be considered one of the better characters, but I guess you never know as seen with Rain/pre-patch Cyrax.

He is very fun to use although I get bodied by characters like Cage, Kenshi, and Liu Kang, all of whom have oppressive offense.

Is there any footage of that set anywhere?
I don't know but he was on twitch had a tiktok clip of him on my feed and watched it but don't see it. It wasn't Ninjas account, I actually don't think Ninjakilla actually streams.
He did a video on YouTube yesterday or a couple days ago, I forget. But he's using Quan Chi and he's doing very well with him.
I honestly don't know how, cuz he's using him like he has Johnny's frame data. But what I took away from those KL sets was he stayed mainly in neutral and used Armor to take his turn back but used frame traps to give em just enough time to press but caught them with armor then made em guess 50/50's after setups and was mostly zoning/setting up wiff punishes/making them guess after converting with traps.
He was also doing something kind of cool, he would combo into Trap and Use Lao teleport to continue combo by hitting them in juggle out of trap. Never seen anyone do that yet. He got decent damage off it too.
Also did a pretty cool combo into trap where he did pretty good damage and used Kameo to drop trap behind them and comboed them into trap with 2144

I'm currently trying to make Scorpion be my main Kameo because I can do F2xxEXDB1 into U+Kameo and it juggles if they try to press after they see EXDB1
The other cool thing besides the setups with Scorpion is his 213 combos with Scorpion U+R1 which I feel is pretty strong since there's 21xxDB4/213/2144/214xxDB4 and staggers off them. Just wish a Kameo with + on block ambush also had Trap Setups for Quan because using DB4 and SkyDrop into safety would be great.

But he's using Quan Chi and he's doing very well with him
Yeah he recently uploaded some stuff with tremor which was super good and kung lao I believe, but then again Ninja makes any character he touches look broken..

His Quan combo with tremor using the aftershock ground pound into at least 44% is kinda nutty tbh

I'm also using scorpion alot, the trap set ups are pretty nasty, the combo variety and damage is solid and scorpions back kameo with its I-Frames is really underrated especially in situations like Kenshi with Sento out or that MFking Johnny pressure

Last edited:

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Portal b,f+1 is one of the best projectiles in the game.

Instant aerial b,f+1 is very good, but good luck with the execution using the PS5 controller.

Teleport is a solid anti-zoning tool while standing 4 is an excellent block and whiff punisher.

Quan Chi can punish certain special moves anywhere on the screen (i.e., Geras's sand storm and time freeze, Kenshi's overhead slash, Scorpion's spear, Sektor's teleport when used as a kameo, any version of old Shang Tsung's ground skull, etc.) that no other character can.

Unfortunately at this time, the character seems to have a plethora of "safeguards" (i.e., 900 health points, 9F d+1 that is -10 on block, EX launcher that requires two bars, slowest armored attack, horrendous mid attacks, etc.) to be considered one of the better characters, but I guess you never know as seen with Rain/pre-patch Cyrax.

He is very fun to use although I get bodied by characters like Cage, Kenshi, and Liu Kang, all of whom have oppressive offense.
Great info Dave thanks!
I’ll definitely give him a try! I’m still getting some good mileage out of “zoning” with sub zero at the moment, but wanted to give quan a try.

I might mess around with quan a little more…I love the tentacles and the scull move set is

love how they Did quan in this game but yes I switched to rush down with sub on one and it looked like he was having some problems

Fatality o

Cigretts PSN
I still think Jax is pretty sick for quan. Using trap setups @Bulletz4Breakfast posted. Any skydrop or db4 or back throw on hit is almost guaranteed ground pound on oki. You can skydrop, albeit hard to time it every time, meaty jump kick, option select jump in 213 (if jump 21 hits its full combo or if blocked it’s safe launcher), or jump in 21, D+K. And all this is even better in the corner.

Cancelling anything and everything into D+K is safe and on hit or block pushes them away from you. On hit it’s fullscreen and block it’s B3, F2 range. D4xxD+k, F2xxD+k, B31xxD+k, 21 mix staggers into D+k. Fast af recharge time.

Oh and 213 string into B+k combos and is a 50/50.

I wish he had another option from his portal tho, good players can flawless block the bf1 projectile and honestly it’s mind numbing just portalling fullscreen and throwing 2 bf1s. It’d be sick if the cage changed with portal too to setup traps almost like kitana.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
Changed my mind. Scorpion does sooooo much for quan. I just get portal up and throw projectiles and throw scorpion ambush out. If they jump to avoid projectiles they get hit, if they throw a projectile he takes the hit.
The chain pull is amazing for quan

Are there any Bone Cage setups with Scorpion?

I've been playing Quan/Sub, and the compliments to his zoning with Ice armor and the ability to do bone cage or portal setups on hit has been hard to pass up, but I'm interested in Scorpion Kameo.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
You mean the zoning/ trap character is actually successful when you play him as a zoning/trap character?
You the fuck would’ve guessed that?
Certainly nobody on these boards