What's new

General/Other Q&A with Kung Lao

Having real trouble with NJP after a spin. And combo issues.

Ok, here is what I am constantly experiencing. how do you neutral jump punch after the spin, every time I try to jump lao is either glued to the floor and doesn't move, jumps and the punch misses, or if I try to move forward a bit then jump the punch it way to late. Could somebody explain the process?

I've really liked lao since DA and have used him mainly. I keep seeing how good lao is but it seems really hard to easily nail 30% + comboes online without using meter, when other characters easily nail 30 to 40 without meter. I hear lao is top tier in this game and i've pulled off some crazy things in training and in expert ladder, but online is a diff story. Lag is alot better but things i've pulled off a ton offline i've pulled off maybe once in an online match. What am I doing wrong?

kr3wman

Noob
the njp after spin needs a very small step forward if you're not doing it of 112 or 21. If you are, try doing it at the apex of kl's jump. pianoing the two punches buttons (sliding your thumb from 1 to 2 quickly) also helps getting it out faster.

What you are doing wrong is playing online. Because of input delay, things are harder to punish and react to online, which changes things alot. And if your combos aren't muscle memory then good luck pulling them off.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
it's EXTREMELY difficult to NJP off 1,1 spin than 1,1,2 spin...I know it sounds crazy but go into practice mode and try it out. You'll notice your opponent will pop up more vertical than 1,1 spin.

Yes. I main kung lao and efficient dash blocking shuts it down pretty hard. Just make sure you're prepared once you hit midscreen for KL's retaliation.

more than 30% is possible i think online, people catch me with a punch after the dive kick and then plum flower me which is at least like 32% or something. but its pretty hard to do

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Honestly, the only NJP that I'm aware of that's worth doing online is Sub Zero's. Forget NJPs online.

ive got my njp's down and basically what krewman said u gotta know where they are gonna be before u spin so its really just practice or muscle memory, once u get them down its totally easy eveno nline

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
like everyone else is saying online causes people to doubt their playing but its not your fault. Just keep practicing the combos in training and in other offline modes. Soon they will become muscle memory and you can do them in your sleep even if you are playing online.

@Pecka- I think i played your KL in the TYM room a couple hours ago. Cant remember for sure though. If it was you that was a great game. I barely slipped by.

devil_puncher

Sektor Supreme
If I was caught in this loop I would usually just down+3 or down+4. It works because they are rushing in hit them with a couple of down kicks then get the fuck out of there. lol

ive got my njp's down and basically what krewman said u gotta know where they are gonna be before u spin so its really just practice or muscle memory, once u get them down its totally easy eveno nline
for example one thing i noticed, im reiterating post 2 i guess

if u complete a 112 or a back 1or a 21 ( i htink) into a spin, it will pop them straight up for an easy njp

but if ur incomplete in ur strings (for example 11) or u use 2 4 they will pop up a little in front of u so u have to step forward, it helps to step forward anyways if u are doing

njp jk dk roll spin

for 1 meter its actually good not to njp because jk dk does more than njp dk for the ex hat combo

but i still use njp dk for naked spins that pop people up real high because they are anti-air

offline vs online kung lao help!

i cant pull off the lets just say for a starter 11 spin jk dk dash b2 ex hat jk dk combo. it just seems to not work but ive seen it done online before i can do it offline but online its to difficult so im stuck doing mid 20% combos because i cant pull off a big combo like that and that really hurts when you have the opportunity to get it and the dash b2 ex hat part wont come threw. so my question is is there any really good lao players out there that have any tips to pull this off or any other doable damaging combos with this delay. i beat a lot of players with good records on ranked but ive also have lost because of simply not pulling off good enough combos when i had the chance. any tips tricks or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kombo

Noob
Bro it not you its the online itself if there is not lag there is input delay. Online you just have to go for simpler easier to do combos that do decent damage. try going for something into spin neutral jump punch then do b2 ex hat its much easier to do without the dive kick and still gets you in the 30% range.

Bro it not you its the online itself if there is not lag there is input delay. Online you just have to go for simpler easier to do combos that do decent damage. try going for something into spin neutral jump punch then do b2 ex hat its much easier to do without the dive kick and still gets you in the 30% range.
that just seems so unsafe to go for because depending on if its blocked or not then you wont be able to hit the njp and i dont know how to do that little walk up then jump punch. i mess that up every time

Creepy00

Noob
In first i though you meant Kung lao players themselves like online Players Play Easy lao (Rookies or most i faced, only see few good kung players) while offline plays hardcore lao. Well it is a different topic, try to be specific next time :/ . Yup i agree with kombo, online totally changes gameplay cause combos you offline may not come out properly or drop or get interrupted which offline doesn't or get advantage online. You will get use to it, i did but i only play online. There isn't much competition on my area.

In first i though you meant Kung lao players themselves like online Players Play Easy lao (Rookies or most i faced, only see few good kung players) while offline plays hardcore lao. Well it is a different topic, try to be specific next time :/ . Yup i agree with kombo, online totally changes gameplay cause combos you offline may not come out properly or drop or get interrupted which offline doesn't or get advantage online. You will get use to it, i did but i only play online. There isn't much competition on my area.
you could come to md. sotrms dark rob and a few others also go to this place xanadu in baltimore. it sucks that they just cant fix this dumb shit already the games been out way to long for this bullshit

i cant pull off the lets just say for a starter 11 spin jk dk dash b2 ex hat jk dk combo. it just seems to not work but ive seen it done online before i can do it offline but online its to difficult so im stuck doing mid 20% combos because i cant pull off a big combo like that and that really hurts when you have the opportunity to get it and the dash b2 ex hat part wont come threw. so my question is is there any really good lao players out there that have any tips to pull this off or any other doable damaging combos with this delay. i beat a lot of players with good records on ranked but ive also have lost because of simply not pulling off good enough combos when i had the chance. any tips tricks or suggestions would be appreciated.
Easier combo.

1, 1, 2, spin, dive kick, dash, 1, 2, 4, 1+3, 2 = 31%
1, 1, 2, spin, dive kick, dash, 1, :en hat toss, dash, 1, 2, 4, 1+3, 2 = 35%
1, 1, 2, spin, dive kick, dash, 1, :en hat toss, 1, jump kick, :en dive kick = 38%
1, 1, 2, spin, jump kick, dive kick, f3, :x, 2, 4, 1+3, 2 = 51%

All of these are extremely consistant online so long as you put the effort into getting them down in the practice room. They can also be started with b3; 2,1,2,1,2; or 2,4 (stance dependent, normally good on crossover though) as opposed to the 1,1,2.

Creepy00

Noob
you could come to md. sotrms dark rob and a few others also go to this place xanadu in baltimore. it sucks that they just cant fix this dumb shit already the games been out way to long for this bullshit
1st. Yo casper when you guys meet? 2nd. Dark Rob there? Sound like a plan for me, maybe i can get some tips to Inspire a mk community in my area :)

I play bad with KungLao can you guys give me some tips?

Like what strategy should I use ,what are the best BnB combos, and stuff like that.. I really would appreciate it. i think it might be my controller because i play horrible with him i cant even get wins with him in the Hard Ladder.. thanks alot

Eight

I am the salt
Like what strategy should I use ,what are the best BnB combos, and stuff like that.. I really would appreciate it. i think it might be my controller because i play horrible with him i cant even get wins with him in the Hard Ladder.. thanks alot
Have you tried reading Tom Brady's guide at the top of the KL page?

Take some time to sift through it and try everything out in Practice mode before you try to take it against AI or another player.

It's really helpful stuff.

Come on dude. Theres threads everywhere about improving kung lao. You can find combos everywhere, and details about how he is not only an excellent rush down character but fairly well rounded in other aspects. Look through the forums before you ask us to hold your hand. Now, simply because I am able, I will tell you a bit about kung lao, but keep in mind when you start other characters that you CAN research on your own.

Kung lao is easily one of the best rush down characters in the game. If you're unfamiliar with the term, it means that he is generally meant to be in your opponents face, doing 50/50 mix ups (high low mixups, meaning if they block high you hit them with a low attack, and if they block low, you hit them with an overhead attack.) His spin is to be used as a combo starter, and also to punish certain behavior. The spin has ultra high priority, so if they are trying to annoy you with low kicks all the time, just spin them outta it. If the are dive kicking, you can spin, if they jump in you spin, crossovers you can spin. It punishes a LOT of options. Use KL's teleport to get in close on your opponent, but don't be predictable with it. His f3 (forward X/A) makes him roll across the ground, it covers a lot of distance quickly, and it is fairly safe. His dive kick is very useful, use it to punish jumpers but if they block your dive kick, you will go into a spin in the air and you will get punished, be careful with it. The safest approach you have is dash-blocking. Dash in little bursts, blocking the whole time to avoid taking hits. When you finally get in their face, his best (easiest mixup, although there are others) mixup is his 2, 4, blank. (triangle, circle, other move). The first hit is high, the second is low. After the second hit, throw a low hat. If it hits, dash forward, and repeat the 3 hits. Once they start blocking the first 2 hits, then you can mix it up with 1+2 instead of low hat.

I just got too lazy to type more, so theres that stuff.

KungLao dive kick.

Could someone tell me how i can do the dive kick faster because everytime i do the spin so the oppenent is in the air im kinda to slow, anyone knows how i can do thatnfaster?

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Jump up towards them while pressing the 4 button. A split second later press down. Try that.