What's new

General/Other Q&A with Kung Lao

hardwire

Noob
First of all, Lao's spin only has more frames ON BLOCK. If he's just doing it in the open, you won't have the same window to punish him but at the same time SHOULD be able to get some sort of attack off. If you block a spin, you need to immediately start inputting your smoke bomb. If you're not able to punish a blocked spin, especially after this patch, then it's just a matter of timing. You need to be quicker.
see thats the thing i cant even get any attack off his spin even on block pushes me out so the only thing i can get off in time is the smoke bomb but by the time it lands he has his guard up again.

i havent tryed teleport cuse well we know what happens on block and this dude is tearing me up already so i dont need to give him an opening

LK-520

Noob
He could be talking about 2, 4 low hat, or 2, 4, 1+2. It's a low/overhead mixup, safe(?) after the low hat and KL can just dash up and do it again. If you block the overhead, you get full combo on him.
How to get out of it? I'm not really sure, I haven't tested that yet. You can probably jump the low hat or jab after he throws it, and if you block the overhead you're home free. You could probably jump into the first punch or let either third hit connect and stagger you out of his range, too, if you can't find a better solution.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
actually I have faced a few people that abuse this online tactic. with input delay it's pretty much a block infinite marvz does this and I couldn't move, I even released block and my character was still in block lol

I'm going to find out this weekend if it's just an online thing. liu Kang and cage can do this. kitana and nightwolf I believe and probably Sonya can do this as well online.

personally I feel all + frame attacks should be removed. raiden lost his. or leave + frame attacks that actually hit high and not in the mid section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zebster

How's my volume?
personally I feel all + frame attacks should be removed. raiden lost his. or leave + frame attacks that actually hit high and not in the mid section.
You are just saying this because you play sindel /obvious troll. If Johnny didn't have + frame attacks he'd drop like a rock from the tier list. Also you shouldn't base anything off of online (if that is what you are doing)

LK-520

Noob
2,4 has an overhead? Also isn't it still just a matter of block correctly?
Yeah, 2, 4, 1+2. It completely stops his momentum if it hits and is -ridiculous on block. You'd only ever use it if you think you have conditioned someone enough with low hats off of the string, it's really not worth it 90% of the time.

It's definitely not a block infinite and I don't even think it leaves you at advantage off of the low hat. The timing to hit him out of it is very strict though, just like other rushdown-heavy characters. I'm sure there are places to jump out of it, too. I haven't fought any kung laos that have abused it against me, though, and I haven't really paid attention to how my opponents have gotten out of it. I'll post back after spamming 2, 4, low hat online a bit, haha.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
actually I have faced a few people that abuse this online tactic. with input delay it's pretty much a block infinite marvz does this and I couldn't move, I even released block and my character was still in block lol

I'm going to find out this weekend if it's just an online thing. liu Kang and cage can do this. kitana and nightwolf I believe and probably Sonya can do this as well online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In case you missed it ;)

hits that hit when some one is ducking shouldnt have + frames.. just ones that hit when some one is standing.. thats my opinion --> Sindel has them as well, she just cant abuse them online, cause her attacks dont come out as fast as the characters that can abuse it LIKE JOHNNY CAGE...

How to punish a blocked Ermac force push?

Let's say you are a little outside of sweep distance and you block a force push from Ermac. How can you punish it with Kung Lao? I can't record the dummy in training mode so I can't test it out.

Ok, what if you are a little further back than that? No punishes available right?
At force pushes max range you have a couple of options. F3 is still an option, it may not hit, but it will close the distance a good bit and SHOULD still be safe so long as you are holding your block as soon as you can. Ground hat is one of the options that will provide you some damage and is still reletively safe. Throw the hat and put up your block immediately in expectation of a telepunch, forceball, or another tele push that he may try after the ground hat. Frankly, I would try tele~3 as soon as you block a force push, because you can do a block string immediately after the tele3, and it puts you right next to ermac, providing a great opportunity to wail away at his block using crossovers and hatslaps.

EDIT: If youre looking for a hard punish though, there really isn't a for sure one that you can follow a blocked tkp with.

At force pushes max range you have a couple of options. F3 is still an option, it may not hit, but it will close the distance a good bit and SHOULD still be safe so long as you are holding your block as soon as you can. Ground hat is one of the options that will provide you some damage and is still reletively safe. Throw the hat and put up your block immediately in expectation of a telepunch, forceball, or another tele push that he may try after the ground hat. Frankly, I would try tele~3 as soon as you block a force push, because you can do a block string immediately after the tele3, and it puts you right next to ermac, providing a great opportunity to wail away at his block using crossovers and hatslaps.

EDIT: If youre looking for a hard punish though, there really isn't a for sure one that you can follow a blocked tkp with.
Thanks man. Yeah, I guess there is no real good punish when you are passed sweep range. Good points.

actually tele 2 is a good 50\50 punish even if blocked it's really hard to punish on reaction and it will give you free 25% damage if it connects.

I always feel a bit unsafe doing tele~2. I've been punished a good few times using it, even on reaction I think, but then again I haven't tried using it much in a while and I'm sure I've gotten less predictable.

actually tele 2 is a good 50\50 punish even if blocked it's really hard to punish on reaction and it will give you free 25% damage if it connects.
I main ermac, if KL blocks my telepush and teleports after I uppercut to forcelift combo all day. It may work against ermacs who don't know how to punish KL's teleport, but its easy to uppercut it on reaction, and since it's an anti-air ermac can catch you with a force lift after.

Your best bet like others said would be EX spin, low hat to stagger and close distance, or just do his roll to get in.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
Low hat+Dive kick.

How do I deal with this trap? If I dont come foward they chip me all day with the low hat, they will literally throw it the whole match. If I advance they dive kick me. ... How to deal with this?

leek

Noob
NW reflect/Kenshi reflect/Smoke parry/Noob teleport/Sub-Zero Jump-in clone/etc etc..

You playing online? first problem.. network is shite so don't let it get to you.

Edit: also, dash-block for a universal tip.