What's new

General/Other Q&A with Kung Lao

Haven't played in a little while, so I went online for a bit for some matches.

Two things with Lao's spin that I don't remember happening before:

1)I think I was uppercutted out of a normal spin.

2)I think I was thrown out of a spin as well.

Now, I could have remembered this wrong or just dreamed it up, or maybe this was always there? Can anyone confirm /deny?

Or I can always test this out later after work lol
as long as i have mained him ive been pwned by a few uppercuts. dont really know about the throw though. most people just turtle up when i spin. but the really good players usually punish it if wiffed.

Could have just been the online lag messing up my perception of the timing. Characters with quick uppercuts or specials can definitely get ya after a blocked spin.

Oh please don't start complaining about your spin! Kung Lao has high as priority with that move and not only that, but almost all of his other moves are not even punishable! Be happy with what you got :p

112 spin less damage than 21 spin?

Seems Kung Lao can start combos with 21, and still connect with the NJP, and it's slightly more damaging than 112, despite being 1 less hit.

Does this mean damage will scale less for subsequent combo hits? Why not always start with 21 xx spin? How is the startup of standing 2 compared to 1?

it also scales better in combos, in the nonpatched version, a certain combo with 112 and later ex hat does 48%, and the same combo with 21 does 51%. Its good for a punishment, in other situations i think the 112 is better due the bigger time for to hitconfirm before to perform the spin.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Tried this and i think ill be switching to 21 instead of 112. Thanks!

Death By Nines

Catharsis
It is.

With the rumblings of spin pushback getting nerfed, 1,1,2 is still a better option because you have more time to hit-confirm when you see it hit. 2,1 is better for punishes.

Kung Lao double kick

Ok, I've pulled it off a few times, like right here in training mode. But I've noticed I can't get it consistently. Am I just timing it wrong? Or is there some trick to getting this everytime.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
Quickness and/or magic is the key. Mostly magic. I avoid attempting it online because the timing is incredibly strict. I hit em high the first time, low the second into a f+3.

countering kung lao teleport

i noticed kung lao can teleport then kick instantly or float then kick on the way down. i have trouble countering this any advice?

I wouldn't say on reaction. I catch a lot of people with teleport attacks by using it sparingly so that it's not really that predictable. His FK is ultra fast which doesn't leave much room for error, and his BP is an overhead, which will definitely punish you if you try to crouch block > uppercut. Uppercut DOES work as a punish for KL's teleport BP, don't get me wrong, but you gotta be careful. Personally, I use crouch jab cause it's fast as hell, and the hit box is high enough to still catch them out of it. If you land the crouch punch, it'll leave you a relatively safe jump attack option, which is generally my follow up. Unless they have a wakeup that will hit high and behind them.

Basically, I would suggest crouch jab > crossover FP > normal combo of your choice. If they do start abusing tele- BP, then standing block, crouch jab will work wonders.

What character are you using that you're having trouble with KL? That would certainly help us advise you.

mixup thoughts with kung lao

Couple things i've begun to try and incorporate into my game, i think people underrate kungs other strings and most importantly his ability to stagger the opponent and continue to mixup(i need to test some of this stuff,, mainly the stuff in part 2 but im pretty sure after stagger u get a free jp)

1.after jp's which i abuse, though 112 is still safe mixupable and hit confirmable
back 1 and 24 do more damage and back 1 is hit confirmable into spin, 24 is not we are talking mid 40's with jk/dk dash 2 ex hat 24 combo and 32 33% with a njp jk dk roll spin
p.s. u can also jump punch 24 low hat into a stagger for setups

2. His stagger capabilities are ridiculous u can do the following after the 23 low hat
a.dash up do it again or 24 into spin(not confirmable) into 42 percenter with 1 meter(its fast but risky, sometimes u can pull it off twice, a jp in is a better option) or begin 112 shenanigans
b.a forward 2 for an overheard (which can be followed by a jump punch i believe) or a jump punch in which can be followed by 24spin, 24hat into another stagger mix up, straight into 112 or even a back 33 so u have overhead and followed straight by low, numerous options all comboable or followed up by even more mixups, some varying in safeness, so ur throwing out a ton of different strings with high low or overhead mixups based off
c. a grab
3.when u exchange a jump punch or a dive kick and ur opponent is in the air, u can go straight into roll spin into jk dk ,or what i prefer to is dash 1 dash 2 34(2) or something even more like jk dk roll spindepending upon height

a couple more thoughts i will take into the lab

1. using the enhanced low hat as a corner pressure tool to give safe pressure(would like to see if u can combo of it in some cases or wehther u can counter teleports with it.
1a. using the enhanced low hat with spacing as a pressure tool or even anti air

2. the ability to us eenhanced teleport as a projectile predictor, eat damage and exchange with combo or stagger string

How do you get out of Kung Laos little 3 hit combo ??

I faced a guy who keeps doing this loop and I cant get out of it ... He hits twice and hits me with a low kick and/or hat slap..

sorry if I don't know the commands for it to make it easier, but maybe you kung lao players know what it is.

How the heck do you get out of that?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
If it's what I think it is... block low + punish? Or have you tried that?

DanCock

Cock Master!!
what i do is after the 3rd hit just jump the fuck out of there with a kick and try not to let him get back in your face..

hardwire

Noob
how do you punish spin online

im playing as smoke and i can not even get smoke bomb to hit

some one please b4 i rip out all my hair tell me how do you make a spin spaming kung lau regret his choices

First of all, Lao's spin only has more frames ON BLOCK. If he's just doing it in the open, you won't have the same window to punish him but at the same time SHOULD be able to get some sort of attack off. If you block a spin, you need to immediately start inputting your smoke bomb. If you're not able to punish a blocked spin, especially after this patch, then it's just a matter of timing. You need to be quicker.

online is bad. thats the problem. "being quicker" isnt a solution, the problem is the online is just flat out bad for things like punishing.

After you block low, do a crouch jab. It's definitely fast enough to interrupt his next normal, and should give you a chance to either back away from him, or start your own block string if you care too. Also after the hat block, try an uppercut, I believe that the first hit of Lao's 112 normals are high enough to permit you to come under them with an upper cut.