What's new

Discussion PRO Dudes And Their Arrogance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Just to clarify, a 38 year old man (according to his profile) is crying about a harmless nickname over what is a non obligatory hobby, to him?
I don't really agree with the OP's arguments, but it is interesting how quickly and easily he triggered the nasty in-group/out-group behavior he was talking about.

Yeah, "necro" seems harmless when you're in the group saying it. When you're in the group it's directed at, you see it for what it is: a mean-spirited way to denigrate someone who spends their time on something you no longer think is worth spending time on. Is it worth getting this upset about? No... but that doesn't totally erase the point, does it?

I lecture no one. Play what you like and have fun. But your words do matter--especially if you're in the group others look up to and you help dictate the FGC culture. Trash talking is fun for the talker, not so much fun for the trashed.

Last edited:

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
even tho i've stuck with mkx i don't feel like i've leveled up much since the game "died". with all the greats and a big portion of the community moving onto injustice, alot of opportunities for mu experience went out the window. sure, i might be a more polished player as far as execution goes, but when there's no damned possessed players to grind with well then i can't really level up in that matchup. it is what it is tho.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
For instance, even when inj 2 was its peak, MKX online rooms had the same number of players or more. Currently, it has 2 to 3 times the number of players Inj 2 has in any of the online rooms on ps4 and pc
This is a common thing for people to compare and I just want to say that room population has no bearing on the popularity of the game. In Injustice 2, non-casual players usually want competitive mode on, competitive mode is not automatically on by default in rooms, so those players will go to competitive player match and ranked over going to rooms. MKX had no issues like that with rooms.

Kung Jin

Noob
Thin line between a pro player and a competitive player, majority of these so called pros you speak of didn't even make what Someone on minimum wage earns a month during mkx's 2 year life.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Nobody determines when a game is dead, numbers do. Competitively, MKX is dead right now. This is inarguable. If MKX suddenly started showing up at tournaments and getting hundreds of entrants then it'd be called a revival. It'd be called that because, again, the game is dead.

Non-competitively the game still is fine. You can always get matches online, there's side tournaments at several regionals and majors, and there's streamers that hop on it to bring in eyeballs and interest. If you still like MKX and still want to play it at a competitive level then more power to you, but understand where the game is at for the top level players that have moved on. Namely it's a game that they may enjoy hopping on every now and then for fun but they aren't looking to improve or stay at a high level, it's mostly just fun for them now.

As far as the term Necros I've mostly seen it as a term for people that grind out MKX then challenge top level players who have moved on and then brag about the set if they win. Any other way I wouldn't care. People on stream during Combo Breaker this year thought I played MK9 every day, if they called me a Necro it'd be whatever. If you're being a shit head then Necro is probably being used to tilt you, if you're not then dunno why it'd bother you.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Don't care if you disagree my point

But go ahead and disagree that's this is the most hype the scene has being in sc long time! Go ahead.

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
It's a different world when the game has an active scene. Meta games are established and match-ups are fleshed out.

It would be super naive to say that Ninja wouldn't do extremely well in an active scene though.

Mantis is free (still).

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I don't really agree with the OP's arguments, but it is interesting how quickly and easily he triggered the nasty in-group/out-group behavior he was talking about.

Yeah, "necro" seems harmless when you're in the group saying it. When you're in the group it's directed at, you see it for what it is: a mean-spirited way to denigrate someone who spends their time on something you no longer think is worth spending time on. Is it worth getting this upset about? No... but that doesn't totally erase the point, does it?

I lecture no one. Play what you like and have fun. But your words do matter--especially if you're in the group others look up to and you help dictate the FGC culture. Trash talking is fun for the talker, not so much fun for the trashed.
Lotta truth to this. Not at everyone in the thread, but anybody saying "just play what you want don't get mad at others playing something else" seem to be missing that this dude's entire aggravation is that he was playing exactly what he wanted and his complaint people talking down at him for it

Yeah he probably overreacting but I think his entire point is just that, let us play what we wanna

People eyes go red bout I2 THO

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
Lotta truth to this. Not at everyone in the thread, but anybody saying "just play what you want don't get mad at others playing something else" seem to be missing that this dude's entire aggravation is that he was playing exactly what he wanted and his complaint people talking down at him for it

Yeah he probably overreacting but I think his entire point is just that, let us play what we wanna

People eyes go red bout I2 THO
As always in life there are people taking it too far; witch-hunting the older player-base trying to boost their ego's is where it has to stop.

Its understandable that they want to measure up their current power levels with the old guard but its just not going to be a fair assessment, so it's best just to leave these people alone.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
As always in life there are people taking it too far; witch-hunting the older player-base trying to boost their ego's is where it has to stop.

Its understandable that they want to measure up their current power levels with the old guard but its just not going to be a fair assessment, so it's best just to leave these people alone.
the fact that you agree with me makes me question if im wrong

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
You see someone who's arrogant? Block, ignore, and mute him/her, and then move along with your life with people you have a great respect. Arrogant people are everyone's problem and should be harshly dealt with. Accepting them will make their ego and the problems even worse.

Peace to the rest.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
It’s kind of sad to brag about beating a top player once it’s been over a year that they have moved on from the game..

Anyone with a single brain cell knows these guys were just not able to cut it when mkx was at its peak..

I can’t believe I’m doing this but I agree with tweedy

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Can someone explain to me what necroed means please
In this context it’s basically someone who kept playing or started playing once all the “pros” left to play a new game. While the game was in its prime, they either were mid level, low level, or didn’t even play at the time. Now since they continued or started playing once everyone left, they got good. Once the old pros come back to play, the “necros” beat the old pros, since the old pros haven’t played or practiced in a very long time.

That isn’t to say these necros wouldn’t beat them in their prime, but that’s the implication.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Can someone explain to me what necroed means please
I'm not an expert on FGC slang, but I think it's safe to assume that "necro" is short for necrophiliac, which is a sexually deviant person who engages in sex acts with dead bodies. So if somebody calls you a necro, they're basically saying that you choosing to grind at a game they think is dead is equivalent to humping a corpse. Not exactly a term of endearment.

It’s kind of sad to brag about beating a top player once it’s been over a year that they have moved on from the game..
If someone is being an asshat, I have no problem with others calling him out for it. But just call him an asshat and be done with it. Don't spread a nasty, mean-spirited label that belittles everyone who still enjoys the game (whether you meant it that way or not).

I think it's especially bad if that kind of talk comes from pro-level players (just going by the OP here; I wasn't there and don't know who said what). Others in the community see that, start to think that it's ok, and go on to do it themselves. And that's how toxic culture spreads.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm not an expert on FGC slang, but I think it's safe to assume that "necro" is short for necrophiliac, which is a sexually deviant person who engages in sex acts with dead bodies. So if somebody calls you a necro, they're basically saying that you choosing to grind at a game they think is dead is equivalent to humping a corpse. Not exactly a term of endearment.

If someone is being an asshat, I have no problem with others calling him out for it. But just call him an asshat and be done with it. Don't spread a nasty, mean-spirited label that belittles everyone who still enjoys the game (whether you meant it that way or not).

I think it's especially bad if that kind of talk comes from pro-level players (just going by the OP here; I wasn't there and don't know who said what). Others in the community see that, start to think that it's ok, and go on to do it themselves. And that's how toxic culture spreads.
Yeah, uh, I don’t think it has anything to do with necrophilia. I’m pretty sure necro refers to the game being dead. As in they’re playing and practicing a dead game and/or trying to “revive” it.

Sooo... yeah

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Yeah, uh, I don’t think it has anything to do with necrophilia. I’m pretty sure necro refers to the game being dead. As in they’re playing and practicing a dead game and/or trying to “revive” it.
It's not worth arguing about, but I'm not so sure I'm wrong (could be... wouldn't be the first time).

"Necro" is being used as a label for the players, not the game. If I'm grinding at a dead game, and someone is aiming to insult me, then implying that I'm humping a corpse is a pretty nasty way to do it. It's not that much of a stretch here, and there are lots of haters out there...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It's not worth arguing about, but I'm not so sure I'm wrong (could be... wouldn't be the first time).

"Necro" is being used as a label for the players, not the game. If I'm grinding at a dead game, and someone is aiming to insult me, then implying that I'm humping a corpse is a pretty nasty way to do it. It's not that much of a stretch here, and there are lots of haters out there...
Yeah it refers to the players playing a dead game, not fucking it. ;)

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
I dont use the term "necros" but i see why they were getting called that. I was watching destroyers event and a player there would win a set vs like foxy or tweedy and then proceed to give them thick ass "yeah u already know what it is" type popoffs. So people were like hold up, if this was mkx at its prime u would get scraped. It is what is though, i didnt enter cuz i dont play mkx and didnt wana deal with all that or the constant comparisons to ninjakilla for SOME reason.

All i said is, i like the energy, just keep it in mk11. But ya know its the nrs fgc and people get butthurt if u arent smiling and hugging.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Yeah it refers to the players playing a dead game, not fucking it. ;)
Well yeah it's not meant literally. Many slurs in language are meant figuratively. And it would be more insulting than calling someone a "necromancer" for reviving a game from the dead (which doesn't seem insulting at all).

But fair enough, no big deal...

Temp

Salmon. Otters. The Bringer.
I'm not an expert on FGC slang, but I think it's safe to assume that "necro" is short for necrophiliac
That is not a safe assumption, lol. I can’t say with absolute certainty that some people don’t mean it that way, but I’ve never thought of it like that. “Necro” is just the Greek prefix for death. Never for a second did my mind consider corpse sex.

Back in the day, playing a dead game was considered a compliment. I never thought the term to be condescending.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Well yeah it's not meant literally. Many slurs in language are meant figuratively. And it would be more insulting than calling someone a "necromancer" for reviving a game from the dead (which doesn't seem insulting at all).

But fair enough, no big deal...
You’re contradicting yourself man. Just go reread your previous post.

“”Necro" is being used as a label for the players, not the game. If I'm grinding at a dead game, and someone is aiming to insult me, then implying that I'm humping a corpse is a pretty nasty way to do it. It's not that much of a stretch here, and there are lots of haters out there...”

So according to you it’s both literally and figuratively, that makes no sense.

Not trying to pick on you I just think you need to realize you are wrong and move on. No big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.