What's new

Strategy Preventing past mistakes

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
All I really noticed was that you said D'vorah's puddle is fucked up and I 100% agree on that so I'mma toss you some props

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
No it doesn't, it's the best we've had for our games.

Can we stop this crap of "its getting worse"? No its not. MKX is mechanically superior to Injustice and MK9 and the gap between top tier and low tier is the smallest we've ever had.

Remember Lobo that had an invincible wake up that was plus, that you had to hold the 50/50 into the 50/50 special or command grab? Remember flash safe 50/50s where you had to read the back dash or he would just poke again into 56% bnbs into a cross up that reverses your wake ups into more safe 50/50s? Remember batgirl's 50/50 into cartwheel after the ambiguous cross up in the vortex? Remember MMH's safe OH that could punish anything on the screen into plus 50/50s into a guarranteed interactable? Or zods trait that basically guarranteed him mix ups for days, where you would either lose 19% of chip/grab or eat 40%? Aquaman's trident rush? Superman's ambiguous otg in the corner? Should I keep going?
Guaranteed unblockable super set ups that lead to 40+% unclashable. :DOGE

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
why do people still say telekick into sai needs to completely go? if they just reduce the cancel advantage of telekick to sai, and reduce telekicks block stun, it'll be much easier to get a punish. And not even a massive nerf to the cancel advantage because u still need to be able to do her combos.

Being able to move immediately after blocking a telekick regardless if she cancels into sai or not would fix this problem.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
why do people still say telekick into sai needs to completely go? if they just reduce the cancel advantage of telekick to sai, and reduce telekicks block stun, it'll be much easier to get a punish. And not even a massive nerf to the cancel advantage because u still need to be able to do her combos.

Being able to move immediately after blocking a telekick regardless if she cancels into sai or not would fix this problem.
Being able to move immediately after blocking any negative move in this game would fix a lot of problems.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Akromaniac...oh I remember you. I've played you during the beta, you were the first one to show me how ridiculous Mileena is with her newly added buffs. I even remember how viciously you defended the buffs she got, even tried to trick me into thinking that only her air sais got less recovery, even though I knew from our set that it was beyond that. Glad you finally admit that she didnt't need any of the buffs. I can only argue that the 6f d1 was indeed a necessity, since the range is really ass.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Are we really going to pretend characters like Unbreakable Sub-Zero have a small gap compared to characters like Alien or Demo Sonya?
MKX can have superior mechanics, doesn't mean their applications are working just as needed to be.
Are we really going to pretend that Subzero's main variation is unbreakable? Or that ANYONE uses that variation alone?

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
No it doesn't, it's the best we've had for our games.

Can we stop this crap of "its getting worse"? No its not. MKX is mechanically superior to Injustice and MK9 and the gap between top tier and low tier is the smallest we've ever had.

Remember Lobo that had an invincible wake up that was plus, that you had to hold the 50/50 into the 50/50 special or command grab? Remember flash safe 50/50s where you had to read the back dash or he would just poke again into 56% bnbs into a cross up that reverses your wake ups into more safe 50/50s? Remember batgirl's 50/50 into cartwheel after the ambiguous cross up in the vortex? Remember MMH's safe OH that could punish anything on the screen into plus 50/50s into a guarranteed interactable? Or zods trait that basically guarranteed him mix ups for days, where you would either lose 19% of chip/grab or eat 40%? Aquaman's trident rush? Superman's ambiguous otg in the corner? Should I keep going?
The point that you're missing, as well as the matches linked, is that this isn't a handful of free coin flips into advantage. Let alone, those games aren't anywhere on the level of MKX's level of fuckery and those games HAD defense options unlike this game.

The point is that in this game, it isn't just the top tier having access to top tier tools. Its like 95% of the roster with the ability to freely do this without consequence. You can't say top tier exclusive 50/50's in other FG's is the same as damn near everyone in this game being able to do the same exact thing.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
The point that you're missing, as well as the matches linked, is that this isn't a handful of free coin flips into advantage. Let alone, those games aren't anywhere on the level of MKX's level of fuckery and those games HAD defense options unlike this game.

The point is that in this game, it isn't just the top tier having access to top tier tools. Its like 95% of the roster with the ability to freely do this without consequence. You can't say top tier exclusive 50/50's in other FG's is the same as damn near everyone in this game being able to do the same exact thing.
I'm sure you tried to quote King Hippo.

Either way, characters with safe launching 50/50s:

Smoke.
Kano.
Sonya?
Subzero in the corner.

Hmm idk help me out

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Agree with this. And to respond to what Cossner said about superior game mechanics, I have to disagree:

First off you're right about balance. Tool gap between each character isn't too large in this game and there aren't way too many polarizingly bad matchups. But does that mean the game mechanics are better? No.

Akro is right about defense. IGAU had meterless invincible wakeups to prevent themselves from getting 50/50'd on Oki all day; yet that seems to be the gameplan of at least 60% of the characters in mkx. On top of that, the very fact that backdashing requires as much stamina as it does is simply batshit stupid. In the time that a character does two backdashes, the opponent can run up and resume his/her pressure. Not that backdashing should be used stupidly like that, but the point remains that backdashing as a "get off me" maneuver is almost completely nullified in this game.
Pushblocks were another form of defense that stopped characters from stacking 50/50s. Yet the block breaker in MKX takes two bars of three unlike injustice's one of four, making the cost way greater than the benefit.
Yeah I'm sure invincible wake ups sure helped getting out of Doomsday in the corner or WoWo and Sups in the corner. Plus most wake ups were full combo punishable.

Did we play the same game?

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Are we really going to pretend characters like Unbreakable Sub-Zero have a small gap compared to characters like Alien or Demo Sonya?
MKX can have superior mechanics, doesn't mean their applications are working just as needed to be.
unbreakable sub is closer to alien then jade was to kabal or scorpion was to martian. there are low tiers in every fighting game but the low tiers in mkx are still the best they've ever been.

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
Bitch you used Wonder Woman! Are you SERIOUSLY making this comment right now?
WoWo was far from broken character in injustice. In a game where spammer and zoners dominated matches she was the character who couldn't zone or spam, online lag didn't help either.

Last edited:

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I feel like your perception is skewed by being a green arrow main. I'd love to see your opinion on MKX had you mained, say, Bo rai cho or cyber sub
Did you play the game competitively offline?

Also I'm not sure how describing the idiot things those character had has anything to do with my character.

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
Not even that. But to say that WoWo was nowhere near top because she has no zoning tools is objectively wrong.

She has frame traps that lead to, though not technically guaranteed, 50/50s that combo into a OTG where she can 50/50 you again, and then 50/50 you again because even if you block, the OTG is still plus.
That doesn't make her broken. Game supported spammers and zoners, throwing out her projectile was highly punishable and her trait was pretty much useless.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
That doesn't make her broken. Game supported spammers and zoners, throwing out her projectile was highly punishable and her trait was pretty much useless.
A game supporting zoners where two of the best characters had teleports, one of which was safe on block

I can tell you what you said is objectively false

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Wonder Woman didn't have teleport, what you are saying is not relevant to this conversation.
Yet my point still stands

You can't say zoners were the face of injustice.

Wonder Woman's one flaw was she didn't have a full screen presence. ONE flaw over the many pros she had

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
WoWo was far from broken character in injustice. In a game where spammer and zoners dominated matches she was the character who couldn't zone or spam, online lag didn't help either.
For as many characters she beats pretty badly i'm pretty sure you have no idea how she really functions...