What's new

Strategy Preventing past mistakes

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
As a disclaimer, I don't expect any fuzzy feelings whatsoever. But I personally love DC THAT much, that I don't want INJ2 to become the mush MKX currently is. This isn't calling anyone out or putting anyone in the spot, but talking in general terms, in hopes of a great game to be released. Near all of the issues I referred to in the video on discontinuing purchasing NRS products were all practically fixed the same day, hence why I'm still here -__-

Preventing past mistakes. With INJ2 coming around the corner, there's bound to be tons of new players as well as older ones. While the feedback from top players sounds promising, I personally can't help but wonder whether its truly good news or bad news. Reason being, because these same players use/used top characters with absurd 50/50s and/or footsies and would not (for obvious reasons) suggest nerfs for said near broke tools. Tourney play is obviously where the money is at, and it makes all the sense in the world to lower your chances of getting a character you enjoy to use get nerfed as much as you can, but when you tier whore, and just jump from one character to the next depending on the status quo, it doesn't seem like they're the best choice for feedback, at least not to me. If you as a top player refuse to aide leveling up the community because it conflicts with personal drives, then I feel that their feedback on a games development should be taken with a grain of salt. Biasedness has never gotten anything started that would be deemed balanced and it most certainly won't miraculously change now.

When I talk about the top players and casual community, I'm referring to the divide between a player that is able to near freely ride the wave of MKX's current 50/50 play with little knowledge of FG basics, as opposed to a player that revolves around fundamentals such as baiting, whiff punishing, AA and trip guarding, to name a few. Now while several threads and character guides have been made to explain these FG concepts, top players as well as casuals aren't opposed to free 50/50s in this community. If a character lacks a 50/50 launcher, the ACTUAL response is that they DO need it and should get buffed. The major flaw in this is that 50/50s are not the SOLE way to open an opponent up. Kenshi in MK9 for example, as absurd as he was, was using mids/highs/overheads. Of course the character should have been normalized, but the point is that a character CAN get a lot done without needing to rely on 50/50s. MKXL's Mileena is another example of a character that has a strong mixup and stagger game that doesn't utilize 50/50s (on default). Does a strong neutral, stagger and mixup style make a character amazing? In most cases, yes, but what I'm trying to explain is that a character having access to all the above, as well as safe, meterless, launching 50/50s, makes them so much more ridiculous.

As a quick disclaimer, I do believe Piercing is in need of nerfs, such as a damage nerf, sai recovery to be increased (but not on block frame data), and a nerf on her JI1. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I genuinely feel that she doesn't need all that, the same way I strongly feel a huge chunk of the roster doesn't need the tools they currently have. Overall, the problem with the current roster is how 50/50 intensive it is along with these very same characters having amazing footsies and pokes. Too many players here, including most top players, overlook how amazing a free d4 is. Under 10f, neutral range, SAFE, low profiling, pushback on block, AND frame advantage on hit, is HUGE, and a lot of players don't seem to realize it. Having meterless methods to patch up gaps or unsafe normals/strings/specials is also HUGE, and borderline broke because it isn't meter intensive and it negates being able to even punish what should be punishable. Now don't throw in tele-sai mixup, because you can ALWAYS settle for a d2 at the bare minimum. I'm referring to Demo grenade pressure, Ice clone setups, Scorpion tele cancels, Swarm Puddle insurance, and so forth. The point I'm trying to make is that a player with FG experience can easily see how insane the game can become/is. The problem with this, is that many here do not, and its because, I believe, they're unaware of how good these tools in actuality are.

What I hope for, for the future of this community, is that top players will attempt to educate the community on FG basics, or else not give input on buffs for already top or solid mid characters, unless its to explain why the buffs are bad ideas. IF you're a top player, common knowledge is that solid characters should remain untouched whereas as bottom tier get risen up a bit, and the top get toned down. Not, lets just throw in 50/50s everywhere because I can't open up a player any other way. I put it this way because casuals and newcomers look up to top players for advice, MU knowledge and FG experience. So its only natural that they take a top player's word and soak it in. So instead of creating an army of 50/50, auto pilot reliant players, wouldn't it make sense to tell them where they're going wrong? And not telling them that if it isn't their turn the whole match, the character is bad/unviable/in need of fixes/etc.?

I started off in Smash and progressed into MK9, so a combo system was brand new to me. Along with frame data and overall FG basics. I just had a understanding from Smash that some moves I can or can't do and that some stuff was punishable. Getting into the NRS scene, I looked up to REO, Sonic, Chris G(though he didn't stay long), PerfectLegend, and most of the other top players in MK9's lifetime. It isn't to say that I outgrew the players at all, but upon having an understanding and fully learning the core of FG games over the years, it made me realize that some of what they expressed was very flawed or very biased. I delved into SCV, DOA, UMvC3, some more Smash, and some SF as well to further my understanding as well as to test how they all applied. So this is primarily why I feel the way I do about this community's input on buffs and nerfs. FG basics at its core, IS extensive if you're going about it the right way, and then each game's meta adds more layers to it. So that is the main reason why I feel like a lot of players here don't see the end result, due to lack of learning all of it (not being condescending at all, it took me like 4 years total to fully understand it all), as well as NRS games being the only FGs they play.

Rushdown characters don't NEED to be over +4. Zoners (actual zoners like Raven in INJ) don't NEED 50/50s. Footsie dominant characters as well, don't NEED 50/50s. Teleports shouldn't have a method to be made safe when it can grant a full combo on hit. Superior pokes should have some sort of penalty, such as being negative enough for an ACTUAL check. And the list can go on, but the main points I wanted to make are above.

Overall, lets try to NOT be the community that feels that without 50/50s, the character is dead. Without jailing pressure, there is no rushdown. Without 50/50 launchers, theres no way to open a player up. That because my superior footsie tool now makes it the opponent's turn, the character has no good tools ( BECAUSE it still isnt their turn).

Let's not be that face please.

Last edited:

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
So the gist of this rambling, incoherent response is that 50/50's and frame advantage should not be in games, despite being a prevalent mechanic of almost every top tier character in every majorly competitive fighting game for 25 years. Cool.
No. The gist is that 50/50s into frame advantage for additional 50/50s that are still safe afterwards without needing to use meter is nonsensical. Please link me Grand Finals displaying characters with 50/50s that are forced upon them with no options and its still their turn afterwards. Genuinely, link them to me because I haven't seen it outside of MvC3, MKX and INJ

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
Bitch you used Wonder Woman! Are you SERIOUSLY making this comment right now?
I'm not a top player, and I wasn't opposed to a damage nerf. Plus, I was still learning the damn game. Yeah, NOW its clear just how good she was but she wasn't OP. She just needed normalizing. She wasn't the only character with 50/50s, crossups, or plus frames all in one

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
No. The gist is that 50/50s into frame advantage for additional 50/50s that are still safe afterwards without needing to use meter is nonsensical. Please link me Grand Finals displaying characters with 50/50s that are forced upon them with no options and its still their turn afterwards. Genuinely, link them to me because I haven't seen it outside of MvC3, MKX and INJ

These are just a few examples. The top tier of almost every major competitive fighting game revolves around advantageous situations that loop into advantageous situations. The mistake is to believe that this is solely a creation of NRS and that it's the game's fault that they have top tier characters. Ridiculous

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
people are going to blow you up.

But the community has to look at itself and wonder - why does MKX have one of the worst competitive turn outs when it sold millions of copies.

Something is wrong. I simply can't believe that its because they wanted story mode only.

I'd like to add special cancel certain low pokes should just not be a thing. If I block a low poke I shouldn't have to check a blade slice or low kotal sword especially when the poke is 6 frames.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Just make it so that she can't throw sai after the telekick is blocked, nerf her crazy meter building and she's fine.

Mileena is a neutral footsie-based character so she actually requires the player to be good in order to win, but she's annoying as fuck with all those tools. It's so ridiculous how you have to guess whether she's going to throw the sai or not because when I try to punish, I eat the sai after blocking a move that I should be able to punish with a full combo. It's almost the same scenario as 50/50 into grenade in Demolition.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
lol weren't 2 injustice characters buffed to be given 50/50s? Catwoman comes to mind.
Counterzoning looks it has ridiculous potential from all the footage I've seen, whether zoning is just as good or even better, idk.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I said this before, i said this many times, and i will say this again:

NRS needs to establish ground rules on their games, they need to draw a line to what is considered balanced inside those rules, and after that, no character should every cross that line in terms of advantage, releasing DLC characters with exclusive mechanic crossing this same line is also a concept that we don't need.

If they keep taking this same approach, we will have the exact same thing we did with: IGAU, MKX, and t some extent MK9, and it seems its getting worse with each game also.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Reading this makes me yearn for Tekken 7.

It's just a better game and a better philosophy of how to play a fighter. I'm no where nearly enough interested in I2. I really can't get hyped about it so I plan on not playing it.
I said this before, i said this many times, and i will say this again:

NRS needs to establish ground rules on their games, they need to draw a line to what is considered balanced inside those rules, and after that, no character should every cross that line in terms of advantage, releasing DLC characters with exclusive mechanic crossing this same line is also a concept that we don't need.

If they keep taking this same approach, we will have the exact same thing we did with: IGAU, MKX, and t some extent MK9, and it seems its getting worse with each game also.
Not much to say but your absolutely right. I'm well aware the views you've posted on here and I can't agree more.

This is why I think I'll pass on IGAU2.

I'm yearning to play a fighter where fundamentals don't take a back seat to an nrs philosophy of the mechanics of there resent games.

I've drawn my line at mkxl.

And I'll wait for Tekken 7 where this is not so much of an issue.

Well except for the Akuma 10 frame launchers and his carry over meter but that is one character who has flaws where as mkxl has over half a game or more full of characters with flaws.

This needs to be discussed. The op post was long but the argument is justified.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
I loved injustice and still do. It has its own flawed top tiers and stuff but in their I felt like opening people up actually could take some work. In mkx you can't even play defensively because if you back dash you lose a bar of stamina and if you just block then your playing coin flip simulator. As much as I loved injustice if it carries over the meta of mkx I'm just gonna drop fighting games

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
Am I the only one that liked Injustice because it was kinda BS half the time? I mean, you are gods fighting amongst yourselves: shit is gonna be broke. All the bitching between top players and not (drama) was kinda funny too.

Seriously though, there is some truth in what your saying.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Yeah, Akro is about spot on as u can get with this post. NRS needs to realize that the game shouldn't be 50/50 based as it already is unless they're seriously planning to go in a direction where it becomes some MvC shit. NRS needs to fix their shit. Females shouldn't have an advantage with hurtboxes such as launch height being lower or ducking some mids for stupid reasons. The other thing that makes this game not have a bigger scene is the fact that top tiers are far too dominant compared the rest of th cast which is what has hindered NRS games for the longest time. (Kabal and Cyrax MK9, Aquaman, Batgirl, MMH in IJ etc.) And that NRS needs to stop releasing DLC characters that become top tier. For me, prior to this, the only other fighting game I played was Smash Brawl which I can say for sure I've witnessed a meta not live on for very long due to Meta Knight being ridiculously overpowered. I intend to explore the FGC more as I plan to pick up KoF 14 and I'll give Injustice 2 a chance as I still hv faith in NRS

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Bane didn't have 50/50s.

Still good.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it until after they patched him he finally became good as prior to that he was like low tier and honestly NRS still can't design a grappler right to this day and age

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it until after they patched him he finally became good as prior to that he was like low tier and honestly NRS still can't design a grappler right to this day and age
Bane wasn't a grappler, and he only needed one patch to be decent tbh.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
people are going to blow you up.
Why? Which controversial arguments has he made? I doubt anyone is saying that 50/50 mix ups should not exist. They should. But some type of balance or regulation has to be prevalent. When you pair safe 50/50 mix ups with very fast movement, advantageous EX special moves, powerful jumping attacks, and long range normal attacks all while making zoning and defensive options abysmal, the game becomes stale.

Another recurring mistake is removing tools from certain top tier characters while either keeping similar tools for certain other top tier characters or transferring them to already buffed characters.

For example, Kung Lao's EX hat spin used to be +27 on block (now +7), Quan Chi's EX rune used to be +15 on block (now -1 unless delayed), Shinnok's EX hell sparks used to be +24 on block (now +14), and Tremor's EX low stone shatter used to be +10 on block (now -5). Several other examples (i.e., Erron Black's EX sand grenade, Jacqui's EX up rockets, Liu Kang's EX bicycle kick, Tanya's EX tonfa toss, etc.) can also be mentioned, but I no longer recall the original frame data. The point is that the frame advantage on all of those moves was rightfully reduced to prevent monotonous pressure, which also led to safe 50/50 mix ups for some characters. Takeda, who has received at least 20 buffs, managed to keep an advantage of +34 on the EX kunai, which lead to safe 50/50 mix ups.

Simply inexplicable and sloppy balance decision.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Why? Which controversial arguments has he made? I doubt anyone is saying that 50/50 mix ups should not exist. They should. But some type of balance or regulation has to be prevalent. When you pair safe 50/50 mix ups with very fast movement, advantageous EX special moves, powerful jumping attacks, and long range normal attacks all while making zoning and defensive options abysmal, the game becomes stale.

Another recurring mistake is removing tools from certain top tier characters while either keeping similar tools for certain other top tier characters or transferring them to already buffed characters.

For example, Kung Lao's EX hat spin used to be +27 on block (now +7), Quan Chi's EX rune used to be +15 on block (now -1 unless delayed), Shinnok's EX hell sparks used to be +24 on block (now +14), and Tremor's EX low stone shatter used to be +10 on block (now -5). Several other examples (i.e., Erron Black's EX sand grenade, Jacqui's EX up rockets, Liu Kang's EX bicycle kick, Tanya's EX tonfa toss, etc.) can also be mentioned, but I no longer recall the original frame data. The point is that the frame advantage on all of those moves was rightfully reduced to prevent monotonous pressure, which also led to safe 50/50 mix ups for some characters. Takeda, who has received at least 20 buffs, managed to keep an advantage of +34 on the EX kunai, which lead to safe 50/50 mix ups.

Simply inexplicable and sloppy balance decision.
This post pretty much sums up a lot of people's sentiments perfectly.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
But the community has to look at itself and wonder - why does MKX have one of the worst competitive turn outs when it sold millions of copies.
No it doesn't, it's the best we've had for our games.
Can we stop this crap of "its getting worse"? No its not. MKX is mechanically superior to Injustice and MK9 and the gap between top tier and low tier is the smallest we've ever had.
I loved injustice and still do. It has its own flawed top tiers and stuff but in their I felt like opening people up actually could take some work. In mkx you can't even play defensively because if you back dash you lose a bar of stamina and if you just block then your playing coin flip simulator. As much as I loved injustice if it carries over the meta of mkx I'm just gonna drop fighting games
Remember Lobo that had an invincible wake up that was plus, that you had to hold the 50/50 into the 50/50 special or command grab? Remember flash safe 50/50s where you had to read the back dash or he would just poke again into 56% bnbs into a cross up that reverses your wake ups into more safe 50/50s? Remember batgirl's 50/50 into cartwheel after the ambiguous cross up in the vortex? Remember MMH's safe OH that could punish anything on the screen into plus 50/50s into a guarranteed interactable? Or zods trait that basically guarranteed him mix ups for days, where you would either lose 19% of chip/grab or eat 40%? Aquaman's trident rush? Superman's ambiguous otg in the corner? Should I keep going?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Can we stop this crap of "its getting worse"? No its not. MKX is mechanically superior to Injustice and MK9 and the gap between top tier and low tier is the smallest we've ever had.
Are we really going to pretend characters like Unbreakable Sub-Zero have a small gap compared to characters like Alien or Demo Sonya?
MKX can have superior mechanics, doesn't mean their applications are working just as needed to be.