What's new

"Prepare to be Astounded!" - Zatanna General Discussion Thread

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Another question, (yes another, I'm sorry my Zatanna is SUPER rusty.. see what I did there?)
I haven't played the character in about 3 weeks so I come back to here and she feels alien.
I noticed her b1 and b2 are extremely slow and have little to know range. So with this in mind, should those only be used as vortex options and not combo starters?
I've been using 1,1,2 or standing 3 as my main combo starters. I also read something about a d1 vortex? Can someone explain, I can't seem to find a thread on it.

kevkopdx

Noob
I usually do j2 - 112 x MB multikicks - ji3 - 112 x Ender
The ender is usually a regular trance, or cards for damage. Sometimes i'll end with MB fire kiss and then activate trait.

What does everyone use to discourage opponents from jumping as Zatanna? Does she have any reliable anti-airs? Sometimes I find myself just teleporting away just to avoid the pressure, but it doesn't really discourage them from jumping in constantly. Her d2 gets stuffed by most jump-ins I find, and she doesn't have the normals to reliably air-to-air other characters.
spaced properly, cards are a great anti air... i teleport away constantly, her d2 sucks

DarksydeDash

I'm just posting this here...
For those struggling with canceling her d2 into her teleport I found a trick that makes it SUPER easy (no pun intended).
All you have to do is as soon as her uppercut hits, let go of the stick and hold up immediately.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
So coming back to this game after months and months of not playing and forgetting most stuff...

I'm wondering what people do when the opp is in MB Trance after a combo?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
So coming back to this game after months and months of not playing and forgetting most stuff...

I'm wondering what people do when the opp is in MB Trance after a combo?
If the MB trance is at the end of the combo, go for a reset. Here are the ones I commonly use; note that there are many more.

du, du, j2~u3~d2
Then either b2 or b1 starter combo

du, du, slight step backwards, j2~u3~d2
Then go for a jump over and either hit front on and land behind with ji1 or hit behind with j2~u3~d2

Whiff standing 1, dd3
Select either the middle or the far clone and go for a ji1/ji2 for a new combo

Whiff standing 1, duf
Then go for a ji2~u3~d2 depending on timing/spacing it'll hit either behind or front on.

trait, 2~df3
The df3 will hit regardless of if they tech roll and if thy don't block will OTG for a new trait combo.

DarksydeDash

If the MB trance is at the end of the combo, go for a reset. Here are the ones I commonly use; note that there are many more.

du, du, j2~u3~d2
Then either b2 or b1 starter combo

du, du, slight step backwards, j2~u3~d2
Then go for a jump over and either hit front on and land behind with ji1 or hit behind with j2~u3~d2

Whiff standing 1, dd3
Select either the middle or the far clone and go for a ji1/ji2 for a new combo

Whiff standing 1, duf
Then go for a ji2~u3~d2 depending on timing/spacing it'll hit either behind or front on.

trait, 2~df3
The df3 will hit regardless of if they tech roll and if thy don't block will OTG for a new trait combo.
Recommend that last option for characters that are very wakeup happy such as GL, Martian, deathstroke, KF, Batgirl, etc.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
I used to use 1,1,D3 into F3 crossup. That still a good option? After F3 you could do D2, Tele behind, F2 etc.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
Why is it that when only one kick in her dive kick hits the opponent Zee lands and then I can't move around for a second or two?

I've had this happen a bunch in matches. At first I thought it was an online thing but then I tested it in the lab and the same thing happened.

kevkopdx

Noob
Why is it that when only one kick in her dive kick hits the opponent Zee lands and then I can't move around for a second or two?

I've had this happen a bunch in matches. At first I thought it was an online thing but then I tested it in the lab and the same thing happened.
can you explain exactly what youre doing including spacing? i never have this happen... if the opponent blocks you whiff and cant move until you recover

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
can you explain exactly what youre doing including spacing? i never have this happen... if the opponent blocks you whiff and cant move until you recover
It's not on block it's on hit. Set the computer to neutral jump. Jump slightly before the computer and when they are at max height use divekick. Only of of the hits connect and Zatanna is left standing unable to move or attack for 2 secondsish

kevkopdx

Noob
It's not on block it's on hit. Set the computer to neutral jump. Jump slightly before the computer and when they are at max height use divekick. Only of of the hits connect and Zatanna is left standing unable to move or attack for 2 secondsish
sounds like youre just barely clipping them... in that case i think the move isnt making solid contact and essentially whiffing

KillaGthug4Life

Believe in Magic yet? Let us Dance
Yeah I've had this happen in a few matches.. a bit of a pain. The timing can get really weird if you awkwardly meterburn it. Just try it out it's funny.

KillaGthug4Life

Believe in Magic yet? Let us Dance
Hold down when you hit the d2, it shortens the recovery. It's really difficult to time, it's slightly easier to do 11u3, d2, f3, 3, puppetmaster. But I've only seen Laos pull that off consistently online.

bishbash

Magic as easy as 1 2 standing3
Another question, (yes another, I'm sorry my Zatanna is SUPER rusty.. see what I did there?)
I haven't played the character in about 3 weeks so I come back to here and she feels alien.
I noticed her b1 and b2 are extremely slow and have little to know range. So with this in mind, should those only be used as vortex options and not combo starters?
I've been using 1,1,2 or standing 3 as my main combo starters. I also read something about a d1 vortex? Can someone explain, I can't seem to find a thread on it.

After d1 on hit either kicks or air kicks, the only thing is if you've doent a bar to force the d1 she has better vortex options IMO. Also mb air kicks d2 b3 dash 3-trance only does mid 20s damage.

Sorry if this has already been explained.

DarksydeDash

After d1 on hit either kicks or air kicks, the only thing is if you've doent a bar to force the d1 she has better vortex options IMO. Also mb air kicks d2 b3 dash 3-trance only does mid 20s damage.

Sorry if this has already been explained.
Damn that was an old post man.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Hey guys, not sure if others have been using this, but it's quite useful. Instead of ending combos in 112~puppet master, you can end in 11d3 for a hard knockdown.

For example;

b1u3, ji2, d2, b3, dash, ji2, 11d3
b23, ji2, d2, b3, dash, ji2, 11d3

From there you can get cross up f3, regular f3, or you can levi above the opponent for the jump mixup.

EDIT: slightly delay the 11d3 to make the last hit connect.

Last edited: