What's new

General/Other - Warrior Predator Warrior Discussion Thread

This variation is all about the 50 50 u get from hard knockdown. When opponent gets knocked down from DB2 u can cross over J2/1 into DB2 again or into B3 string. This is guaranteed and stuffs unarmored wakeups.

Every J1/2->DB2 gives safe 13% dmg. Every J1/2->B3 starter can lead up to a safe 21% meterless damage.

(J1/2->B3, 1, 1, EXBF4, J3/4, BF2, FarDB2 gives u a 37% hard knockdown setup for a 50 50/

Last edited:

Alvhe Feleo

Due tomorrow? Do tomorrow.
This variation is all about the 50 50 u get from hard knockdown. When opponent gets knocked down from DB2 u can cross over J2/1 into DB2 again or into B3 string. This is guaranteed and stuffs unarmored wakeups.
That sounds good, but won't work very often outside the lab. DB2 is slow, can be punished during the leaping frames, backdashed/techrolled easily... I've personally been beaten during a DB2 leap, so if I can't connect it there's no follow-up.
Crossups using DB2 aren't a very good idea because they are as easy to punish as kotal kahn tossing his sword at sweep distance. In my honest opinion predator doesn't even benefit from sticking to melee range more than he favors staying at jump distance, tossing disks and poking with the combi-stick's ridiculous range.
You do punish unarmored wakeups easily (most of them), then again the other 2 variations punish them much more efficiently, and any armored wakeup will shred you.
And lastly, warrior adds 3 moves:
- A leap that is a good addition, also with an air move.
- A shoulder charge. I've literally seen nobody use this. At least Shinnok's amulet has a couple of uses, but this one is terrible (or I'm missing something).
- Self-destruct. As good as it can be meter-burning twice and chaining juggles with SD in the lab for 80%-ish combos, the costs don't make up for the rewards in a match... In short, it's just as useful as healing in the hunter variation.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't mean he sucks and I actually intend to main him and be good with him at some point, but so far this variation doesn't offer anything that makes him better than hunter or HQT anywhere other than a leap that can jump over low projectiles across the screen.

That sounds good, but won't work very often outside the lab. DB2 is slow, can be punished during the leaping frames, backdashed/techrolled easily... I've personally been beaten during a DB2 leap, so if I can't connect it there's no follow-up.
Crossups using DB2 aren't a very good idea because they are as easy to punish as kotal kahn tossing his sword at sweep distance. In my honest opinion predator doesn't even benefit from sticking to melee range more than he favors staying at jump distance, tossing disks and poking with the combi-stick's ridiculous range.
You do punish unarmored wakeups easily (most of them), then again the other 2 variations punish them much more efficiently, and any armored wakeup will shred you.
And lastly, warrior adds 3 moves:
- A leap that is a good addition, also with an air move.
- A shoulder charge. I've literally seen nobody use this. At least Shinnok's amulet has a couple of uses, but this one is terrible (or I'm missing something).
- Self-destruct. As good as it can be meter-burning twice and chaining juggles with SD in the lab for 80%-ish combos, the costs don't make up for the rewards in a match... In short, it's just as useful as healing in the hunter variation.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't mean he sucks and I actually intend to main him and be good with him at some point, but so far this variation doesn't offer anything that makes him better than hunter or HQT anywhere other than a leap that can jump over low projectiles across the screen.
What are you talkinga bout? U can't be beaten during the leap when u don't use the leap as a first hit. Read my post again. Also, u can't tech roll a hard knockdown.

Alvhe Feleo

My bad on the techroll part, I was doing too many things at once and mixed up stuff. :DOGE
The rest of the point stands, DB2 as a finisher is a crappier version of BF4 in any sense (either that or I'm missing something important), and also I've missed DB2 in some combos where BF4 connects.

As always, I'd be glad to know the advantages of DB2 over BF4 (I can't find any besides the overhead vs mid hit point) because I want to main Warrior predator.

My bad on the techroll part, I was doing too many things at once and mixed up stuff. :DOGE
The rest of the point stands, DB2 as a finisher is a crappier version of BF4 in any sense (either that or I'm missing something important), and also I've missed DB2 in some combos where BF4 connects.

As always, I'd be glad to know the advantages of DB2 over BF4 (I can't find any besides the overhead vs mid hit point) because I want to main Warrior predator.
You're not reading my post correctly dog. When u hit an opponent with J1/2 into DB2 the DB2 is an instant overhead. This leads to a safe 50 50 with B3.

Alvhe Feleo

I give up for now, let's wait for the patch and hope they change this variation. It can be punished in every full combo you perform except 122, the only safe combo with an overhead at the end. The air combo works best with JIK > air DB2, but it's still punishable on block.

Well then, time to learn kenjutsu or outlaw.

DB2 is safe. You guys are just spouting crap. Please do your research before u try to state facts.

(Air)DB2 is safe.
So if you set Reptile to block and reversal ex slide on a blocked air db2, it's safe? When I tried it against sub I was getting reversal slide on (his is slower than reptiles). Is it height dependant on how negative it is? Can you show a video of the safety?

So if you set Reptile to block and reversal ex slide on a blocked air db2, it's safe? When I tried it against sub I was getting reversal slide on (his is slower than reptiles). Is it height dependant on how negative it is? Can you show a video of the safety?
Its -7 on block when used right after a J1/J2. Its safe on block. Reptile dash doesn't really matter since no one plays Reptile.

And why are you just backseat gaming man? Go in practice mode and test it yourself you lazy bum.

And why are you just backseat gaming man? Go in practice mode and test it yourself you lazy bum.
Backseat gaming? Lol...
I did try it hence me asking you to show me how safe it is since I can't replicate it. I do it after a j1/j2 and I still get hit by reversals. So far only you claim it is safe on block and I would love to see you making it safe. I'm not calling you out or anything I just want to confirm it

Backseat gaming? Lol...
I did try it hence me asking you to show me how safe it is since I can't replicate it. I do it after a j1/j2 and I still get hit by reversals. So far only you claim it is safe on block and I would love to see you making it safe. I'm not calling you out or anything I just want to confirm it

Last edited:

Gruff757

The Gruff
Just because reptile isnt widely used, doesnt mean that you should totally disregard it. thats free damage for reptile. not sure if anyone has a i6 standing jab though.

I usually meter burn Dread Slam on wake up. I know the Scimitar Stab is better for damage but I do believe if you meter burn Dread Slam it launches the opponent higher and a tad slower than if you meter burn Scimitar Stab which to me is better just because it gives me a better window to follow up. Bear in mind I'm not a pro player so I'm sure there are people out there that are gods at the game that will probably say Scimitar Stab all the way.

I also agree they need to do something with Self Detonate. I don't know which I would prefer: either make the start up time shorter or have him not be able to get knocked out of it on hit. I see the argument for both:

1) I want them to shorten the start up time just so I have a legit chance to go balls out and make something happen. Balls out offense for that short period of time. High risk for high reward.
2) It'd be nice if Predator can't get knocked out of it so it can be some sort of threat to the opponent and make them decide on what type of action they should take. Sort of like a mind game thing.

Guys, this is just what I think from what I know of that character. I am still learning so please just take this as opinion. If my opinion doesn't make sense or I'm flat out wrong please let me know. I'm trying to learn as much about the character and variation as much as possible.