What's new

Guide - Unbreakable [Pre October '16 Patch] Sub-Zero UNBREAKABLE Guide reborn

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
You can IA JI2, B2. It doesn't have to be done on falling momentum. It's part of my alternate corner combo instead of JI1, 242.
I noticed that about IA JIP, however, it's a bit risky, because it's timing is very tight. I have done it very rarely in some occasions. I have seen some, even Sonicfox, doing those IA JIPs. I wish I knew how did I do it.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
To do instant air jump-in punches, you have to hit the button as soon as you leave the ground. If you practice it in training, it's pretty easy once you get used to it. All of the combos I listed where you Burst for meter before continuing, those are instant air jump-ins.

Jeffrey Wolf

How did a not know that F4~Ice Ball combos in the corner and that it works midscreen against females? Or that 12~Ice Ball combos in the corner?

It's risky, of course, but wow...awesome.

Jeffrey Wolf

I could only get F4 on females midscreen. What males did you get it to work on? As for the others, yeah, I had B33 in the guide, and I added 12.

Lokheit

Noob
I could only get F4 on females midscreen. What males did you get it to work on? As for the others, yeah, I had B33 in the guide, and I added 12.
It works closer IIRC. If it hits at long distance it won't connect because of the travel time from the Iceball (basically you negate the "footsie" component of F4 if you want to connect, but at least it jails on block).

Lokheit

Noob
Fascinating. I'll test and add to the guide. Thanks, guys!
Self correction, I just checked my frame data list, it should connect at any distance and only jail at mid to close range of the kick.

EDIT: And now went to the lab to confirm it, it always combos, against males even if you just hit with the tip of the boot. The only thing affected by the distance is the jailing part.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Wolf

That's bizarre...as I tested it against Sub and it didn't work. I'll definitely be testing after I get off work, lol. If that's true though, pretty cool!

Lokheit

Noob
That's bizarre...as I tested it against Sub and it didn't work. I'll definitely be testing after I get off work, lol. If that's true though, pretty cool!
https://testyourmight.com/threads/sub-zero-exhaustive-move-data.58034/

If it's of any help, I made this some time ago, it includes which moves connect and jail into each special. The last 2 sheets include the "most optimal" follower for non hit combos (aura and clone mid combo), in the "safety" tab if there is no move listed it meant that it's just safe, if there is a move listed it means it jails into it. It can be a bit hard to read but dark blue means the move connects or jails (depending on the tab you're on) and lighter blue means that there are conditions (like being in the corner or female hitboxes).

Jeffrey Wolf

Yeah, I must have been smoking crack before because it totally works. Awesome!

As for your doc, I had looked through it before. Thought it was just Cryo though. Didn't know you had Unbreakable too. Very cool.

Combo list updated.

Jeffrey Wolf

Hey all! Here's the next part to the combo guide, starting with Enhanced Burst. I'll get to the rest of the special moves this week. As always, if you have any thoughts or see errors, please let me know. Enjoy!

Spending Bar for Enhanced Moves

This section will take a look at each of Unbreakable Sub-Zero’s enhanced moves. In addition to giving max damage single meter combos (i.e the meter spent for the original EN move), this guide will also list 2 and 3 bar alternates, in case you’re going for the kill.

EN Burst (i.e. Frost Bomb)

This move is used for its armor properties, either on wake-up, during footsies, or as an anti-air. It is one of the best armored moves in the game, because, despite being -10, due to the push back, it is very hard to punish. Like regular Burst, EN Burst gains damage if you have Aura on (regular or EN) when you do it. The damage increase is 4% (i.e. EN Burst does 8% normally, 12% with Aura). All combos given will have EN Burst listed as the first hit, as there is no point in doing it mid combos (i.e. other enhanced special moves lead to more damage).

EDIT: @Cooljaxx posted an interesting Unbreakable combo where EN Burst was used mid combo in the corner to up the damage. I will research this and add it to the EN Burst section. Props to @Cooljaxx for the inspiration.

Yup, if you're in the corner and either start with B12 or already have Aura on, using EN Burst in your combo nets you more damage than EN Freeze or EN Aura. Awesome =). Will list specifics later.

EN Burst Midscreen - You and Opponent Grounded

EN Burst, Slide
- No Aura = 14%
- Aura on = 18%
- Notes: None.

EN Burst, run, F42~Slide
- No Aura = 19%
- Aura on = 23%
- Notes: If you hit with the very edge of the EN Burst, use the above instead.

EN Burst, run, F421+3
- No Aura = 20%
- Aura on = 24%
- Notes: If you hit with the very edge of the EN Burst, use the first combo instead.

EN Burst, run, B12~Burst
- No Aura = 22%
- Aura on = 26%
- Notes: The opponent must be very close when the EN Burst hits for the B12 follow up to connect. If the opponent is too far, use on the of the above instead.

2 Bar EN Burst Midscreen - You and Opponent Grounded

EN Burst, run, F42~EN Ice Ball, dash forward, NJP, FJP(2), run, B12~Slide
- No Aura = 27%
- Aura on = 31%
- Notes: If the EN Ice Ball hits too low, you won’t be able to connect the NJP, in which case you should just do B12~Slide. This will lower your damage by 3%.

EN Burst, run, B12~EN Ice Ball, dash forward, NJP, FJP(2), run, B12~Slide
- No Aura = 29%
- Aura on = 33%
- Notes: The opponent must be very close when the EN Burst hits for the B12 follow up to connect. If the opponent is too far, use the above instead.

3 Bar EN Burst Midscreen - You and Opponent Grounded

Ending either of the above combos in EN Slide, instead of regular Slide, does 1% more.

EN Burst, run, B12~EN Aura, 123~EN Slide, NJP, walk forward, B12~Slide
- No Aura = 33%
- Aura on = 37%
- Notes: The opponent must be very close when the EN Burst hits for the B12 follow up to connect. If the opponent is too far, use the first 2 bar combo instead.

EN Burst Midscreen - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

EN Burst, run, B12~Ice Ball, NJP, FJP(2), B12~Slide
- No Aura = 28%
- Aura on = 32%
- Notes: Opponent must be high in the air for the B12~Ice Ball to juggle. If not, use one of the combos in the both grounded section instead.

2 Bar EN Burst Midscreen - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

Ending the above combo in EN Slide, instead of regular Slide, does the same damage.

Using EN Ice Ball in the above combo, instead of regular Ice Ball, increases the damage by 1%.

3 Bar EN Burst Midscreen - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

EN Burst, run, B12~EN Aura, B12~EN Slide, NJP, walk forward, B12~Slide
- No Aura = 34%
- Aura on = 38%
- Notes: The second B12 needs to be done while the opponent is low to the ground or the EN Slide will whiff. Adding a 1 before the first B12 can help with this timing. This does not change the damage.

EN Burst Corner - You and Opponent Grounded

EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- No Aura = 32%
- Aura on = 36%
- Notes: If this combo is too hard, use the 1 bar midscreen, you grounded, opponent airborne combo instead. That is, EN Burst, B12~Ice Ball, etc.

2 Bar EN Burst Corner - You and Opponent Grounded

Ending the above combo in EN Slide, instead of regular Slide, does 1% more damage.

EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Ice Ball, NJP, FJP(2), B12~Slide
- No Aura = 34%
- Aura on = 38%

3 Bar EN Burst Corner - You and Opponent Grounded

Ending the above combo in EN Slide, instead of regular Slide, does 1% more damage.

EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Aura, 123~EN Slide, NJP, FJP(2), B12~Slide
- No Aura = 38%
- Aura on = 42%

EN Burst Corner - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

- No Aura = 32%
- Aura on = 36%
- Notes: Due to the higher juggle property of airborne starter combos, this one is much easier than the both grounded version.

2 Bar EN Burst Corner - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

- No Aura = 34%
- Aura on = 38%

3 Bar EN Burst Corner - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

- No Aura = 38%
- Aura on = 42%
- Notes: As usual, this combo is easier than the grounded version.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Wolf

@ando1184, hey man, I know you did research on Unbreakable's Parry and was wondering if you did any digging about string interrupts with Parry. I know Braindead has a thread about it, but it's old. I'll retest if I need. Just thought I'd ask.

ando1184

Noob
@ando1184, hey man, I know you did research on Unbreakable's Parry and was wondering if you did any digging about string interrupts with Parry. I know Braindead has a thread about it, but it's old. I'll retest if I need. Just thought I'd ask.
well just like any other string with gaps, you can use ex parry to catch them and punish. I'll try and do some further research later when I get a chance :)

Jeffrey Wolf

Hey all, here's the updated version of EN Burst, with the corner combos added:

Spending Bar for Enhanced Moves

This section will take a look at each of Unbreakable Sub-Zero’s enhanced moves. In addition to giving max damage single meter combos (i.e the meter spent for the original EN move), this guide will also list 2 and 3 bar alternates, in case you’re going for the kill.

EN Burst (i.e. Frost Bomb)

This move is used for its armor properties, either on wake-up, during footsies, or as an anti-air. It is one of the best armored moves in the game, because, despite being -10, due to the push back, it is very hard to punish. Like regular Burst, EN Burst gains damage if you have Aura on (regular or EN) when you do it. The damage increase is 4% (i.e. EN Burst does 8% normally, 12% with Aura). All combos given will have EN Burst listed as the first hit, as there is no point in doing it mid combos (i.e. other enhanced special moves lead to more damage).

In addition to being used for its armor, EN Burst also leads to the highest damaging corner combos, if you are able to start the combo with B12 or already have Aura on (otherwise, you’re better off doing the meterless version, or using EN Ice Ball/EN Aura). Since there are only a handful of these, this guide will start with them, and then move to raw EN Burst combos.

EN Burst in Corner Combos - You and Opponent Grounded

11~EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura on = 37%
- Notes: This combo is only worth it with Aura on. If you don’t have Aura, you should do the standard combo listed in the meterless section.

12~EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura on = 38%
- Notes: This combo is only worth it with Aura on. If you don’t have Aura, you should do the standard combo listed in the meterless section. If the 2 of the 12 is your first hit, the combo does 37%.

B33~EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura on = 39%
- Notes: This combo is only worth it with Aura on. If you don’t have Aura, you should do the standard combo listed in the meterless section.

F42~EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura on = 40%
- Notes: This combo is only worth it with Aura on. If you don’t have Aura, you should use EN Ice Ball, instead of EN Burst, into a standard corner combo (i.e. JIP(2), B2, B2, etc.). If you do F4, instead of F42, the combo does 39%.

F33~EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura on = 41%
- Notes: This combo is only worth it with Aura on. If you don’t have Aura, you should use EN Ice Ball, instead of EN Burst, into a standard corner combo (i.e. JIP(2), B2, B2, etc.). If your first hit is the second hit of F33 (i.e. the low), the combo does 37%.

B12~Aura, B12~EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- No Aura = 42%
- Notes: If Aura is on, just go straight into EN Burst. The damage is still 42%.

2 & 3 Bar Alternates

In any of the above combos, if you want to spend one more bar, instead of going:

B2, 242, etc.​

You should go:

B2, B12~EN Ice Ball, NJP, FJP(2), B12~Slide​

This will generally increase the damage by 1%. As I’m sure you can imagine, this will almost never be worth it. However, the three bar version yields better returns.

In any of the above combos, if you want to spend all of your meter, instead of going:

B2, 242, etc.​

You should go:

B2, B12~EN Aura, 123~EN Slide, NJP, FJP(2), B12~Slide​

This will generally increase the damage by 5%, leading to Unbreakable’s highest damaging combos outside of X-Ray.

In case you’re wondering, if I’m going to spend all of my bar, why not just use X-Ray? These particular combo starters all deal much more damage in the way listed than if you subbed in X-Ray. For example, in the corner:

11~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B12~X-Ray​

Does 37%, the same damage as the 1 Bar EN Burst combo, and 5% less than adding the EN Aura and EN Slide, as described above. So, if you want to burn your bar, these combos are the max damage way to go.

Now for raw EN Burst combos!

EN Burst Midscreen - You and Opponent Grounded

EN Burst, Slide
- No Aura = 14%
- Aura on = 18%

EN Burst, run, F42~Slide
- No Aura = 19%
- Aura on = 23%
- Notes: If you hit with the very edge of the EN Burst, use the above instead.

EN Burst, run, F421+3
- No Aura = 20%
- Aura on = 24%
- Notes: If you hit with the very edge of the EN Burst, use the first combo instead.

EN Burst, run, B12~Burst
- No Aura = 22%
- Aura on = 26%
- Notes: The opponent must be very close when the EN Burst hits for the B12 follow up to connect. If the opponent is too far, use on the of the above instead.

2 Bar EN Burst Midscreen - You and Opponent Grounded

EN Burst, run, F42~EN Ice Ball, dash forward, NJP, FJP(2), run, B12~Slide
- No Aura = 27%
- Aura on = 31%
- Notes: If the EN Ice Ball hits too low, you won’t be able to connect the NJP, in which case you should just do B12~Slide. This will lower your damage by 3%.

EN Burst, run, B12~EN Ice Ball, dash forward, NJP, FJP(2), run, B12~Slide
- No Aura = 29%
- Aura on = 33%
- Notes: The opponent must be very close when the EN Burst hits for the B12 follow up to connect. If the opponent is too far, use the above instead.

3 Bar EN Burst Midscreen - You and Opponent Grounded

Ending either of the above combos in EN Slide, instead of regular Slide, does 1% more.

EN Burst, run, B12~EN Aura, 123~EN Slide, NJP, walk forward, B12~Slide
- No Aura = 33%
- Aura on = 37%
- Notes: The opponent must be very close when the EN Burst hits for the B12 follow up to connect. If the opponent is too far, use the first 2 bar combo instead.

EN Burst Midscreen - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

EN Burst, run, B12~Ice Ball, NJP, FJP(2), B12~Slide
- No Aura = 28%
- Aura on = 32%
- Notes: Opponent must be high in the air for the B12~Ice Ball to juggle. If not, use one of the combos in the both grounded section instead.

2 Bar EN Burst Midscreen - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

Ending the above combo in EN Slide, instead of regular Slide, does the same damage.

Using EN Ice Ball in the above combo, instead of regular Ice Ball, increases the damage by 1%.

3 Bar EN Burst Midscreen - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

EN Burst, run, B12~EN Aura, B12~EN Slide, NJP, walk forward, B12~Slide
- No Aura = 34%
- Aura on = 38%
- Notes: The second B12 needs to be done while the opponent is low to the ground or the EN Slide will whiff. Adding a 1 before the first B12 can help with this timing. This does not change the damage.

EN Burst Corner - You and Opponent Grounded

- No Aura = 32%
- Aura on = 36%
- Notes: If this combo is too hard, use the 1 bar midscreen, you grounded, opponent airborne combo instead. That is, EN Burst, B12~Ice Ball, etc.

2 Bar EN Burst Corner - You and Opponent Grounded

- No Aura = 34%
- Aura on = 38%

3 Bar EN Burst Corner - You and Opponent Grounded

- No Aura = 38%
- Aura on = 42%

EN Burst Corner - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

- No Aura = 32%
- Aura on = 36%
- Notes: Due to the higher juggle property of airborne starter combos, this one is much easier than the both grounded version.

2 Bar EN Burst Corner - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

- No Aura = 34%
- Aura on = 38%

3 Bar EN Burst Corner - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

- No Aura = 38%
- Aura on = 42%
- Notes: As usual, this combo is easier than the grounded version.

Tanno

Hey Lin Kuei guys, I just came back from my holidays at Thassos island.

@Jeffrey Wolf , dude, you did an amazing work there almost listing all of them. Are you done with them? If done, I would love to do the drill to record all those kombos and bring them in Youtube. Just give me some time to rest from my journey back home. I'm dead tired. Now I'm trying to catch up with what's going on in here.

Jeffrey Wolf

@Tanno, hey man, hope you had a good trip! Things have been a bit busy recently, but the next few days are lighter, so I'm going to wrap up the rest of his special moves and X-Ray. I'll be done by Tue/Wed of this week, at which point it's all you.

Jeffrey Wolf

Okay, here's everything else. Let me know if you see anything you want me to change, before I put it all together =). Btw, since this thing is insanely long, there's no way you need to record all these combos @Tanno. Maybe just a highlight reel of your faves/the most useful. That way it can be an easy way for someone who doesn't read everything to get into it.

And, everyone else, please feel free to comment!

P.S. There are some new NJP combos here that I will also be adding to the meterless NJP combo area when I put it all together.

Combo Extenders

Unbreakable Sub-Zero has three different combo extender moves: EN Ice Ball, EN Slide (with Aura), and EN Aura. In terms of max damage, for the most part, EN Ice Ball is used to extend combos where the opponent is grounded, or you don’t already have the Aura on to extend with EN Slide. EN Slide with Aura is used to extend combos where the opponent is Airborne, and EN Aura is used to get Aura mid combo, if you don’t already have it on, to then extend with EN Slide. EN Aura can also be used to extend ground based combos like EN Ice Ball, but it doesn’t do as much damage, so will be used when you value being plus over damage, if the opponent blocks your opener.

EN Ice Ball (i.e. Ice Blast)

This move is used to extend combos or win in projectile wars, since it travels faster than a regular Ice Ball and destroys other projectiles. EN Ice Ball starters, against a grounded or airborne opponent, midscreen or corner, are all the same as a regular Ice Ball, so refer to those listings. EN Ice Ball doesn’t damage scale as much as regular Ice Ball though, so the damage will be about 3% higher.

As for extending combos, you will mostly do so midscreen, since in the corner regular Ice Ball can connect off of more strings, so EN Ice Ball isn’t needed.

EN Ice Ball Midscreen - You and Opponent Grounded

12~EN Ice Ball, move slightly back, Burst (for meter and to get rid of Aura if on), JIP(1), B12~Aura, 242, run, B12~Burst
- No Aura / Aura on = 29%
- Notes: This damage is calculated using the second hit of 12 as the first hit, since that is how it will usually happen. If you connect with the 1 as well, the damage is 30%.

B2, run, F42~EN Ice Ball, dash forward, NJP, JIP(2), run, B12~Slide
- No Aura / Aura on = 29%
- Notes: It is very hard to get the EN Ice Ball to connect on females, but easy on males. If you have Aura on, you’ll use EN Slide instead.

B33~EN Ice Ball, Burst (for meter and to get rid of Aura if on), JIP(1), B12~Aura, 242, run, B12~Burst
- No Aura / Aura on = 31%
- Notes: Male only, as regular Ice Ball connects on females.

F42~EN Ice Ball, move slightly forward, Burst (for meter and to get rid of Aura if on), JIP(1), B12~Aura, 242, run, B12~Burst
- No Aura / Aura on = 32%

F33(2nd hit)~EN Ice Ball, move slightly back, Burst (for meter and to get rid of Aura if on), JIP(1), B12~Aura, 242, run, B12~Burst
- No Aura / Aura on = 33%

EN Iceball can also be useful to extend combos if you hit the opponent midscreen with a jumping kick, while they’re airborne, and you don’t have Aura on for EN Slide.

EN Ice Ball Midscreen - You and Opponent Airborne

JIK, run, F42~EN Ice Ball, move forward, NJP, JIP(2), run, B12~Slide
- No Aura / Aura on = 27%

Besides these, the only other time that EN Ice Ball is needed is to extend combos that feature other EN moves, which will be listed in those respective areas if applicable, as has already been done in the EN Burst section.

EN Slide (i.e. Icy Slide)

Besides closing out a round, or switching sides if in desperate need, EN Slide without Aura on will rarely be used, since it only does 11% damage. However, with Aura on it suddenly becomes a very useful move, as a long range punish/AA that does a decent chunk of damage, as a combo extender, or as a wakeup, if you’re worried about the 15 frame start up of EN Burst getting broken, since EN Slide has only 9.

Regular combos starting with EN Slide with Aura are fairly basic, since there is not much of a juggle property, and they barely change from Midscreen to Corner.

EN Slide (Aura on) Midscreen - You Grounded, Opponent Grounded/Airborne

EN Slide, walk/dash/run depending on distance, NJP, JIP(2), run, 123~Slide
- Aura on = 23%
- Notes: This combo only works with Aura on.

EN Slide (Aura on) Corner - You Grounded, Opponent Grounded/Airborne

EN Slide, walk/dash/run depending on distance, NJP, B2, 123~Slide
- Aura on = 25%
- Notes: This combo only works with Aura on. Also, instead of the NJP, B2, etc., you can do B2, B12~Aura for the same damage.

As mentioned previously, EN Slide, with Aura on, can also be used to extend combos, and is superior to EN Freeze for that purpose when the opponent is airborne.

Here is a breakdown of those instances, starting with B2:

EN Slide (Aura on) Midscreen - You Grounded, Opponent Grounded/Airborne

B2, F42~EN Slide, walk forward, NJP, JIP(2), run, B12~Slide
- Aura on = 34%
- Notes: This combo only works with Aura on. Delay the F42 slightly, or the EN Slide will whiff.

EN Slide (Aura on) Corner - You Grounded, Opponent Grounded/Airborne

B2, B2, 242, 123~EN Slide, NJP, JIP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura on = 43%

Anti-air with a standing 1:

EN Slide (Aura on) Midscreen - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

1, B12, 123~EN Slide, NJP, B12~Slide
- Aura on = 36%.

EN Slide (Aura on) Corner - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

1, B2, 242, 123~EN Slide, forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura on = 37%.

Air-to-air with a jumping punch:

EN Slide (Aura on) Midscreen - You and Opponent Airborne

JIP, run, B12, 123~EN Slide, NJP, B12~Slide
- Aura on = 35%.

EN Slide (Aura on) Corner - You and Opponent Airborne

JIP, B2, 242, 123~EN Slide, forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura on = 37%.

Jumping kick against a grounded or airborne opponent:

EN Slide (Aura on) Midscreen - You and Opponent Airborne

JIK, EN Slide, dash forward, NJP, JIP(2), run, B12~Burst
- Aura on = 27%

JIK, run, F42~EN Slide, walk forward, NJP, JIP(2), run, B12~Slide
- Aura on = 30%
- Notes: This combo only works with Aura on. If the opponent is too high after the F42, the EN Slide will whiff.

EN Slide (Aura on) Corner - You and Opponent Airborne

JIK, B2, 242, 123~EN Slide, forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura on = 39%.

EN Slide (Aura on) Midscreen - You Airborne, Opponent Grounded

JIK, EN Slide, dash forward, NJP, JIP(2), run, B12~Burst
- Aura on = 28%

EN Slide (Aura on) Corner - You Airborne, Opponent Grounded

JIK, D1, 242, 123~EN Slide, forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura on = 36%.

NJP against a grounded or airborne opponent:

EN Slide (Aura on) Midscreen - You Airborne, Opponent Grounded/Airborne

NJP, walk forward, B12, 123~EN Slide, B12~Burst
- Aura on = 34%.

EN Slide (Aura on) Corner - You Airborne, Opponent Grounded/Airborne

NJP, B2, 242, 123~EN Slide, forward dash, B12~Slide
- Aura on = 36%.

Other than the above, the only time you’ll be using EN Slide to extend combos is in conjunction with other EN moves, like EN Burst, which will be listed in those areas.

EN Aura (i.e Ice Aura)

As mentioned previously, this move can be used as a combo extender. In addition, it can be used to gain frame advantage off of blocked strings. Finally, it grants Sub a 33% damage reduction, so can be used for Parry setups or when close to death.

First up, a list of frame advantage. Big shout outs to @GOL Eklectic for compiling this info. There is one plus situation you can get with regular Aura:

F4~Aura = +4
After, can win with 1, F3, D3, D4, Slide, EN Slide.
Parry will beat any advancing attack or poke.

For the record, the only other ground based move that Unbreakable Sub has that leaves him plus for no meter is F12, which is +2.​

The rest are with EN Aura:

B33~EN Aura = +6
After, can win with 1, 2, D3, D4, Slide, EN Slide.
D3 and D4 will beat all pokes.
EN Slide will launch any buttons (except armor).
Hit confirmable into a combo.
Regular Parry will beat any poke or advancing attack.

F4~EN Aura = +18
Gets all follow ups, including 50/50 true block string and anti fuzzy w/12 for a true block string.

B12~EN Aura = +4
Hit confirmable into combo.
Regular parry beats any poke or advancing attack.

F42~EN Aura = +4
Hit confirmable into combo (e.g. F42~EN Aura, F4~Ice Ball, etc.).
Parry beats all pokes or advancing attacks.

B1~EN Aura = +4
Parry beats any poke or advancing attack.

F3~EN Aura = +3
After, can with with 1.
Parry beats any poke or advancing attack.

11~EN Aura = +10
After, can win with 1, 2, 4, D3, D4, B3, F3, F4, Slide, Ex Slide.
11 and 12 follow up are a true block strings.
B2 can beat anything slower than 7 frames, except armor obviously.

12~EN Aura = +6
After, can win with 1, 2, D3, D4, F3, Slide, EN Slide.
Hit confirmable into combo (e.g. 12~EN Aura, b12~Ice Ball, etc.)
Parry will beat any poke or advancing attack.​

As mentioned above, EN Aura can be used to extend combos. However, if this is done against grounded opponents, it will lead to less damage than EN Ice Ball. On the flip side, if the opponent blocks, EN Ice Ball is -8, while EN Aura is positive, as just shown. In addition, the EN Aura of course grants you chip immunity and damage reduction. So, if you don’t have Aura on already, and want to play it safe, using the EN Aura to extend combos over EN Ice Ball can be preferable.

If you do decide to extend a ground based combo using EN Aura, there are a few things to know:
  • In most cases you will go directly into B12~Ice Ball, etc., right after. There are two exceptions to this, F42 and B33. More info on them below.
  • Due to the damage reduction EN Aura offers, you won’t want to end in Burst, but instead Slide, to make it last longer.
  • You also won’t want to Burst mid combo to build meter/get rid of Aura, because you won’t want to lose the EN Aura and it’s impossible to get two Aura links on the ground in one combo.
Here are the combo exceptions:

F42~EN Aura, B12 can be done, but it’s very tight, so, if you prefer consistency, this is the combo for you:

F42~EN Aura, F4~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP, 242, run, 123, Slide
- No Aura = 25%.
- Notes: This combo only works with no Aura.

B33~EN Aura, B12 work no problem, but you can sneak in an instant air JIP, which is superior, because it does more damage and leaves you plus if the opponent blocks the B33. Whereas if you go straight into the B12 without hit confirming, you’ll be negative. This combo is:

B33~EN Aura, JIP(1), B12~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP, 242, run, 123~Slide
- No Aura = 29%.
- Notes: This combo only works with no Aura.

You can also get an instant air JIP off of 12~EN Aura, but it’s crazy tight and so isn’t consistent enough to list.

The only other time that EN Aura will be used as an extender is if the opponent is airborne. This can be used in two ways: one, for Parry setups, and, two, to get Aura on to then extend with EN Slide.

Parry Setups

This can be done off of any regular combo, but instead of using an Aura cancel early to link strings together, you’ll use an EN Aura late as an aerial juggle to setup plus frames and damage reduction so the Parry isn’t as risky. For example.

B12~Ice Ball, walk back, Burst (for meter and to get rid of Aura if on), JIP(1), 242, run, B12~EN Aura, 123~Slide
- No Aura / Aura on = 30%.

The Slide leaves you at plus 30, and can’t be rolled out of, at which point you can run up and Parry. If the Parry connects, you can do one of the Parry combos listed in the meterless section. If the wait and then combo you, you’re only taking ⅔ of the damage.

EN Aura into EN Slide

This combination is used when you’re comboing an airborne opponent, you don’t have Aura on, and you want max damage. There are two main ways that you will do this:

1) Early in the combo, when the B12 connects, instead of continuing as normally listed, cancel into EN Aura, then 123, EN Slide. For example, let’s say you hit with an air-to-air jump in punch and you want max damage for two bars, but don’t have Aura on. You’d do this:

JIP, run, B12~EN Aura, 123~Slide, NJP, walk forward, B12~Slide
- No Aura = 32%.
- Notes: If you had Aura on, you wouldn’t have bothered with the EN Aura.

One other example of the B12 that might not be as obvious, since it’s not normally part of the combo, is if you’re hitting with B2 in the corner, don’t have Aura on yet, and are looking for max damage for two bars. You’d do:

B2, B2, B12~EN Aura, 123~EN Slide, forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), B12~Slide
- No Aura = 43%.

2) If you hit with F42 against a female character, which means EN Ice Ball will probably whiff, unfortunately, F42~EN Aura, 123 will probably whiff too. So, you’ll need to do F42~EN Aura, D4~EN Slide. It’s tight, but works. For example:

B2, run, F42~EN Aura, D4, EN Slide, NJP, walk forward, B12~Slide
- No Aura = 32%.

So, again, if you ever don’t have Aura on, are hitting an airborne opponent, and want max damage for two bars, switch what you’re doing after the B12 or F42 to EN Aura, etc.

EN Parry (i.e. Barrier of Ice)

EN Parry is, unfortunately, rather useless in its current incarnation. It is 3 frames faster than regular Parry (3, instead of 6) and stays active for 3 frames longer, but it takes just as long to recover. Because of these minor differences, it is almost never worthwhile to spend the bar on. If it had instant start up, however, it would be, as then it could interrupt all gaps in strings, like armored moves. As is, below are the only interrupts for Parry and EN Parry. Major props to @Braindead for making this list!

Legend:
* = Gap that can be parried using EX parry
** = Gap that can be parried using normal parry.
(more stars = larger gap)

Cassie Cage
B1 2 * 4
3 3 * 2
1 2 * 1 (Exactly a 2-frame gap, extremely hard to time it. Also inconsistent - might depend on the stance)

Goro
B1 2 ** U2

Ermac
F2 1 * D2
F3 * 4

Jacqui Briggs
2 3 3 ** 4

Jax
B3 * D2

Wrestler:
F3 ** 1+3
F4 ** 1+3

Kano

Cybernetic:
F3 * 2+4

Kenshi
4 4 * 1

Kung Lao
4 ** 4

Liu Kang
1 1 * 3
F4 4 * 4

Mileena
F4 * 4

Ravenous:
B1 2 ** 1+3

Quan Chi

Warlock:
1 2 ** 1+3

Raiden

Thunder God:
1 1 2 ** 2 (Switch inputs direction when doing the parry because Raiden switches sides)
B1 1 2 ** 2 (Also switch sides, otherwise you'd get an ice ball)

Reptile
1 4 ** 1

Shinnok
1 1 2 * 3

Takeda
B2 1 ** 2+4

Beyond the above, the only other thing to say about Parry is that, since it starts with a freeze, it’s damage can’t be extended much beyond what is already listed in the Meterless section. Using EN Burst or EN Slide will add a few percent, but generally not worth it for the meter loss. The only exception is X-Ray. Ironically though, if you try to do a long combo with X-Ray, you get less damage. The most I’ve found is:

Parry, back dash, JIP(2), B2, run, B12~X-Ray
- No Aura / Aura on = 46%.
- Notes: Only works on males.

For females, this is the highest I can find:

Parry, back dash, JIP, B12~Aura, B12~X-Ray
- No Aura = 43%.
- Notes: If you have Aura on, just doing the one rep of B12 will still get you 41%.

X-Ray

Speaking of X-Ray, it’s time to talk about X-Ray combos! Generally, as just mentioned, the fewer hits before the X-Ray, the better. In other words, don’t bother knocking the opponent into the air with 242, just do your ground based string, with a regular Aura cancel if the starter was B12 and you don’t already have Aura on, and then hit that X-Ray. The max damage midscreen is the same as the max damage Parry:

JIP(2), B2, run, B12~X-Ray
- No Aura / Aura on = 48%.
- Notes: Listed with the JIP, as you need to hit with the B2 that close for the rest to combo. Only works for males.

For females, again, same as Parry:

B12~Aura, B12~X-Ray
- No Aura = 43%.
- Notes: If you have Aura on, just doing the one rep of B12 will still get you 41%.

In the corner though, you can get the B2 combo on both sexes. That is:

B2, B12~X-Ray
- No Aura / Aura on = 47%.
- Notes: Starting with a JIP(2) pushes the damage to 48%, which, as seen in other combos, is Unbreakable's max.

The other interesting property of Sub’s X-Ray is that it can be held, is dash cancelable, and has a Parry property. Unlike his regular Parry, this one works against jump-ins! If you hit the opponent with this Parry, you can dash out of it and do a full combo. In fact, the Parry freeze doesn’t count as one of the freezes, so you can do another! While this is cool and all, sadly, it doesn’t lead to more damage than just doing the X-Ray, especially midscreen. If you see the freeze against an aerial or grounded opponent, just let the X-Ray rip for 31%.

In the corner though, if you want to swag, you can do:

X-Ray, back dash, JIP, B12~Aura, B12~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- No Aura / Aura on = 34%.
- Notes: 17 hits!

The sad part though is, you actually get the exact same damage for doing a way less awesome combo:

X-Ray, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- No Aura / Aura on = 34%.
- Notes: Lame.

And that’s everything. We hope this document helps all Sub players out. Thank you again to all contributors and the Sub community! Please let us know if you have any additions, corrections, or questions.

Tanno

@Jeffrey Wolf , you wrote this on this list:

EN Parry (i.e. Barrier of Ice)

EN Parry is, unfortunately, rather useless in its current incarnation. It is 3 frames faster than regular Parry (3, instead of 6) and stays active for 3 frames longer, but it takes just as long to recover. Because of these minor differences, it is almost never worthwhile to spend the bar on. If it had instant start up, however, it would be, as then it could interrupt all gaps in strings, like armored moves. As is, below are the only interrupts for Parry and EN Parry. Major props to @Braindead for making this list!
This one works as AWP (Anti-Wakeup Parry), too. Both Parries (non-EN and EN) have the same reaction, however, the EN creates double barriers. ONE barrier (non-EN) is enough to freeze your opponent spot on. I think it won't work if your opponent hit you with their weapons. It doesn't work against jumping attacks and some of the teleportation ones. You'll notice that Subby can freeze them, even if they hit from behind of him if parried (See Scorpion's Teleport).

This Parry works against all projectiles, because this renders them useless against his Parry, so literally, he's immune against those projectiles, if parried.

Note that if your opponent get parried, all the combos you might think will be reduced to -2%. I found out about this when I labbed the parried character on the harder combo (B2, B2, 242, 123, Slide). Compare the non-parried and parried character and see the differences for yourselves.

I like those combos that have KO enders (112 and F12) to give time to Subby to get to the proper position for the Parry or to enable his Aura on. Even Madzin does that to enable his Ice Klone.

BTW, did you add the combos we recently found so far? Everybody might want to lab them to get better. :)

I don't mind rekording all of them. It gives me some time to lab them all and get used to those kombos I might not know. ;)

Nice find about the X-Ray Cancel. Will need to lab it to see if it might work to extend the longer damage kombos, like the meterless 47% or the 49% as a GMSZ.

Last edited:

Tanno

I just labbed the X-Ray Cancel against the Wakeup Attack. If parried with X-Ray Cancel, it reduces the damage amount to -4.

I used this korner kombo to test it out.

FJP, B12~Aura, 242, NJP, FJP, FJP, B12~Frost Bomb (34%), AWP X-Ray Cancel, Back Dash, FJP, B12~Aura, 242, NJP, FJP, B12~Frost Bomb (30%) = 64%.

When I tried to do exactly the same kombo for the 2nd string after X-Ray I noticed that the 2nd FJP after the NJP consists as the 3rd FJP before sending the opponent to the ground this instant, so I changed this into only one FJP to make this combo viable, while having Aura on. I did the Frost Bomb as ender since the Frost Bomb /w Aura on is 13% to give more damage.

On another note, I inserted the DMG amount to one string BEFORE X-Ray Cancel, because it stops the DMG before the AWP.

I'll try the other kombos to find the MAX DMG.

Last edited:

Tanno

FJP, B12~Aura, 242, NJP, FJP, FJP, B12~Frost Bomb (34%), AWP Barrier of Frost, B2, 1, B12~X-Ray (46%) = 80%!

I tried doing on the way around using as AWP the Barrier of Frost to find this amazing combo as X-Ray ender. Unfortunately, it's reduced to -2 due of the AWP.

Last edited:

Tanno

FJP, B12~Aura, B12~Iceball, FJP, 242, NJP, FJP, B12~Frost Bomb (35%), AWP Barrier of Frost, B2, 1, B12~X-Ray (46%) = 81%!

Last edited:

Tanno

Start with Aura on

FJP, B2, B2, B12~Frost Bomb (36%), AWP Barrier of Frost, B2, 1, B12~X-Ray (46%) = 82%!

I will include them in the video to show you. ;)