What's new

Guide - Unbreakable [Pre October '16 Patch] Sub-Zero UNBREAKABLE Guide reborn

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Forgive me if this is known because it wasn't to me, but UB sub still gets chip damage with aura up from liu kang if liu uses windmill punch. Even if I meter burn aura, and Lou has his damage buff he still does chip damage. Shouldn't this not happen?
We discussed about it in another thread. This is one of those bugs that Aura does have. Originally it ought NOT to have chip damage on Sub Zero when Aura on. Not even the flaming/acidic/full of caltdrops floor should even hurt Sub Zero. Therefore, we already know about this. We might tweak the guide a bit once patch gets aired.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
@Toodrunk2combo, regular Windmill Punch doesn't chip, but yes, if LK has Flaming Aura on it does. As Tanno says, it feels very much like a glitch, just like DOTs getting through Aura too. Hopefully, this will be patched out.

P.S. I will go ahead and note it in the guide for clarity though.

Edit: Added to guide. Thanks for the contribution!

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
@Jeffrey Wolf how much damage can you get off an AA combo with S1 and EX slide if you had Aura on?

Like S1, F42 xx EX Slide, NJP, JI2, 123 xx Slide?

Meterless I think it's 16% with just S1, F42 xx Slide, so I want to know how much he can get now after that ex slide buff.

Jeffrey Wolf

@Braindead, that one is on it's way. I'm going through all the grounded situations before I transition to anti-airs. That said, max damage meterless is way higher than 16%. You can see those from earlier in the thread:

Midscreen Meterless - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

1 or D1 or D3, run, 1, B12~Burst
- No Aura = 20%
- Aura on = 23%
- Notes: Adding another 1 will do 1% more. Taking a 1 away will do 1% less.

1 or D1 or D3, B12~Ice Ball, walk forward, NJP, B12~Burst
- No Aura = 25%
- Aura on = 27%
- Notes: Initial attack must hit opponent’s toes for it to juggle high enough.

With just one meter, or two if you need to put Aura on mid combo, you can break 30%. For example:

Aura on
1, B12, 123~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, B12~Slide = 36%

Aura off
1, B12~EN Aura, B12~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, B12~Slide = 33%

But, like I said, I'll go through 1, 2, and 3 bar max damage versions when I add it to the guide =)

Toodrunk2combo

Sub and kotal FTW
I'm glad you guys are updating this guide. I main cryo and use UB sparingly. My only real gripe is the recovery of parry On whiff, Otherwise his damage really isn't that bad and it's fun to keep aura up against people trying to zone me out

Jeffrey Wolf

FYI: this project is still going, we're just waiting for the upcoming patch to finalize all the damage numbers, as it would be a pain to do them twice. Didn't want anyone thinking this thread was dead =)

Jeffrey Wolf

It's definitely tough @Zerodegreez. I get bodied when with other characters I'd win. However, I've played Unbreakable so much now that I'm starting the feel the most comfortable with him, which is gradually increasing my winning potential. The key is implementing everything, like the frame traps, anti-airs, etc. I hope to be in a competitive position with him by the time the patch drops, so those buffs will just be icing on the cake =)

Jeffrey Wolf

Oh, one other nice thing is that I never end up feeling like any match is unwinnable with Unbreakable. Sure, Alien is Alien, and Naginata Tanya is rather annoying, but otherwise nothing feels too lopsided.

Tanno

Yeah, I hear that on losing when you would usually win, I lose more with him as I'm most comfortable with Grandmaster. Unbreakable is for lack of a better word my 'Chilling Character' but I want him to be my legitimate 2nd behind Grandmaster so I need to apply the specific Unbreakable Strategies that have been discovered by you guys from now on, especially anti airs and frame traps.
This is why we need the experience to get used with UBSZ in the MUs. I like him, because ideally he's the defensive guy against more aggressive guys, who like to charge in.

BTW, guys, have you tried the D4+EN F2 right at the start of every round? Since UB lacks the Ice Klone to protect himself from his opponent's attacks, instead of doing the Ice Klone, try doing EX iceball. Combine the D4 with the EX Icebal inputs. This was something i tested against my friends as UB and seems to work.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
@Jeffrey Wolf when the thing is ready dont post it in this thread. Post it as its own thread or as a Resource.

This thread is crap and more general discussion than a guide. Not to mention the insanely outdated shit in the OP.

Tanno

@Jeffrey Wolf when the thing is ready dont post it in this thread. Post it as its own thread or as a Resource.

This thread is crap and more general discussion than a guide. Not to mention the insanely outdated shit in the OP.
Already discussed about it in PM. Once the patch is out, we'll review everything to see which has been changed, which works or no longer works, and then we'll update what we know, and then we'll create a new thread about the UBSZ guide.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
This is why we need the experience to get used with UBSZ in the MUs. I like him, because ideally he's the defensive guy against more aggressive guys, who like to charge in.

BTW, guys, have you tried the D4+EN F2 right at the start of every round? Since UB lacks the Ice Klone to protect himself from his opponent's attacks, instead of doing the Ice Klone, try doing EX iceball. Combine the D4 with the EX Icebal inputs. This was something i tested against my friends as UB and seems to work.
Don't do that , kinda a waste of a bar because they can block the ex iceball even if the d4 hits

Toodrunk2combo

Sub and kotal FTW
How's everyone's wins coming along VS Intermediate to Advanced Players with UB? I swear it's such an uphill battle but he is fun especially when you get one of his 40% Corners. I need to keep working at his Defence Ironically but when you win VS some one good I swear you level up just a tiny little bit ⛄
I recently had some fun against a cutthroat Kano. I had a lot of trouble with his offense, and my cryomancer got mopped. I switched to unbreakable and had a ton of fun with the parry. Parry-aura-ji2-242-rc-b12 burst landed for 29% a few times.

Tanno

I recently had some fun against a cutthroat Kano. I had a lot of trouble with his offense, and my cryomancer got mopped. I switched to unbreakable and had a ton of fun with the parry. Parry-aura-ji2-242-rc-b12 burst landed for 29% a few times.
Wait a sec. The Parry freezes the opponent for about 2 secs. You wouldn't have time to do the Aura, JI2. It would be different, if it was EX Aura, 242...

It would be able, if it was EX Slide with Aura on. The air freeze holds the opponent in air for 3 secs, which gives you enough time to do the Aura, JI2... only if you're fast enough to catch your opponent.

Jeffrey Wolf

@Braindead, yup, as Tanno says, we'll just solidify it here and then move it.

@Toodrunk2combo, like Tanno brings up, you'd actually want to Aura in the combo to get a link. Here's the breakdown from the guide (last combo):

Parry, back dash, JIP, 242, run, B12~Burst
- No Aura = 26%
- Aura on = 28%
- Notes: None.

Parry, back dash, JIP(2), B2, run, B12~Burst
- No Aura = 26%
- Aura on = 29%
- Notes: Male only.

Parry, back dash, JIP, B12~Aura, 242, run, B12~Burst
- No Aura = 31%
- Notes: This combo is not possible with Aura on. If Aura is on, do one of the two above instead.

You can also end in Slide for slightly less damage but longer knockdown.

@Tanno, like Boba says, D4 into EN Iceball doesn't combo, but you bring up an interesting point. At the start of the match, D4 into EN Aura could be useful, followed by say B2 (because the EN Aura moves Sub slightly forward, leaving you at the perfect range to hit with the tip of B2 on an opponent who is stumbling from being clipped by D4), at which point you could do a regular combo or spend the bar you just gained for a longer EN Slide combo. The nice thing is you'll be insanely plus if the D4 hits and if the D4 blocks you should still catch most opponent's off guard. Sure, they could block the B2, but often hitting someone low first gets them to block though, thus opening them up for the overhead. I'll have to try this at the start of the match.

Btw, tested D4~EN Aura on block against Reptile's EN Slide. It's safe, but definitely negative for Sub. I still say you could catch someone off guard with it though.

Tanno

@Tanno, like Boba says, D4 into EN Iceball doesn't combo, but you bring up an interesting point. At the start of the match, D4 into EN Aura could be useful, followed by say B2 (because the EN Aura moves Sub slightly forward, leaving you at the perfect range to hit with the tip of B2 on an opponent who is stumbling from being clipped by D4), at which point you could do a regular combo or spend the bar you just gained for a longer EN Slide combo. The nice thing is you'll be insanely plus if the D4 hits and if the D4 blocks you should still catch most opponent's off guard. Sure, they could block the B2, but often hitting someone low first gets them to block though, thus opening them up for the overhead. I'll have to try this at the start of the match.

Btw, tested D4~EN Aura on block against Reptile's EN Slide. It's safe, but definitely negative for Sub. I still say you could catch someone off guard with it though.
I thought of trying something different to compensate about the loss of Ice Klone. I'm surprised that X Aura works against Reptile's X Slide. Maybe it's because of X Aura's armor. I thought of using D4~Aura, but it's too risky, because the low part is the weak point and anything that hits low would punish.

BTW, it would be nice if Subby had slightly faster Iceball to catch the opponent. To my surprise, D4~Slide connects fine. Used it very rarely when I had my opponent in ground or juggled. Will check it out to see if it works at the start of the match.

Toodrunk2combo

Sub and kotal FTW
My bad, I was rushing a sentence before work. I did ex freeze and ex aura often. I probably just confused a few matches together. I'll re-check damage later.

Jeffrey Wolf

EN Aura is very fast, which is why it's safe. However, it doesn't have armor.

Also, D4~Slide isn't a true combo and thus very risky. It's usually better to use the plus frames of a connected D4 to run up throw, pressure, or 50/50.

Tanno

EN Aura is very fast, which is why it's safe. However, it doesn't have armor.

Also, D4~Slide isn't a true combo and thus very risky. It's usually better to use the plus frames of a connected D4 to run up throw, pressure, or 50/50.
The Throw won't work. Tried it. When the char clips from D4 the throw CAN'T catch him. It will work only if the character defends either stand or low, or just standing without defending. Chrouching without defending and being clipped by low attacks won't let throw to work.

Lokheit

Noob
Speaking of damage, @Tanno, the guide has it right: EN Burst only does 8% (which is less than regular Burst. interestingly), but with Aura on it does 12%. I will add the part about Parry though, as you're totally right, it does still scale the combo by 1-2%
It's not exactly like that, the parry has a damage penalty of 0.95 (the same than any regular jab has) meaning that following damage is multiplied by 0.95, which results on most combos "showing" a 1-2% reduction BUT decimal damage does count for final damage even if the combo tooltip doesn't show it (Injustice 2 now shows decimal damage).

I have the material about the damage formulas ready (it has been for a very long time now) and I'm waiting till the last patch hits to release everything to make sure it doesn't become obsolete (there is a very long list of specific cases and exceptions).

Jeffrey Wolf

@Tanno, you have to run after the D4 connects to then be in range for grab. It also has the perfect amount of plus frames to create a frame trap.

@Lokheit, I didn't realize I2 would show decimal damage. That's awesome. I look forward to the final release of your doc, as from our conversation about Cryo before, I know no one crunches the Sub numbers like you do =)

Lokheit

Noob
@Tanno, you have to run after the D4 connects to then be in range for grab. It also has the perfect amount of plus frames to create a frame trap.

@Lokheit, I didn't realize I2 would show decimal damage. That's awesome. I look forward to the final release of your doc, as from our conversation about Cryo before, I know no one crunches the Sub numbers like you do =)
Not only it shows decimals, it shows the decimal damage at every step of the combo, in fact knowing the formulas from MKX (which are an evolution of MK9 and I1 formulas) I think I could get the damage and damage scaling of many of the moves we already know. Also some strings start as decimal damage even before applying penalties (it might be due to the costume bonuses to damage):