What's new

Guide - Unbreakable [Pre October '16 Patch] Sub-Zero UNBREAKABLE Guide reborn

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
FJP, B2, B2, 242, 123~Slide (38%), AWP Barrier of Frost, B2, 1, B12~X-Ray (46%) = 84%!

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Hey @Tanno, yeah, both the regular Parry and the EN Parry can be used as anti-wakeups, but, besides the slightly faster start up, there's no benefit to using the EN version, especially considering it costs a bar. The same for blocking projectiles, though, since he doesn't recover instantly, it's usually just better to have Aura on.

That said, the guide could definitely feature a section where we talk about what special moves it works against and what it doesn't. @ando1184, would you mind if we used your vid or at least a written version of what he can Parry and what he can't?

Oh, and as for the combos, everything we've discovered should be there. Since things were getting a bit repetitive, and the guide was already pretty long, lol, I talked about the principles of combos in the later special moves, with one or two examples, since everything basically boils down to:

- Meterless.
- Wake up.
- Extend with EN Ice Ball on grounded opponents.
- If you have Aura on, extend aerial opponents with EN Slide.
- If you don't have Aura on and only have one bar to spend, extend with EN Ice Ball. If you have two bars to spend, extend with EN Aura into EN Slide.
- Max damage combos in the corner and X-Ray.

Hmm, now that I've written that little breakdown, I wonder if I should use that structure in the guide? Thoughts, all?

ando1184

Noob
Hey @Tanno, yeah, both the regular Parry and the EN Parry can be used as anti-wakeups, but, besides the slightly faster start up, there's no benefit to using the EN version, especially considering it costs a bar. The same for blocking projectiles, though, since he doesn't recover instantly, it's usually just better to have Aura on.

That said, the guide could definitely feature a section where we talk about what special moves it works against and what it doesn't. @ando1184, would you mind if we used your vid or at least a written version of what he can Parry and what he can't?

Oh, and as for the combos, everything we've discovered should be there. Since things were getting a bit repetitive, and the guide was already pretty long, lol, I talked about the principles of combos in the later special moves, with one or two examples, since everything basically boils down to:

- Meterless.
- Wake up.
- If you don't have Aura on and only have one bar to spend, extend with EN Ice Ball. If you have two bars to spend, extend with EN Aura into EN Slide.

Hmm, now that I've written that little breakdown, I wonder if I should use that structure in the guide? Thoughts, all?
Yeh bud do your thing, I'm looking forward to when this guide is complete :)

Tanno

- Meterless.
- Wake up.

The structure of the whole guide would be in paragraphs:

- Introduction (Explaining the Unbreakable type and his unique special skills and all)
- Basic and Universal combos
- Meterless
- Wake up
- Both Meterless and Aura as a good comparison, i.e.:

/wo Aura: FJP, B12~Iceball, FJP, 242, RUN, 1, 123~ Slide (32%)
/w Aura: FJP, B12~Aura, B12~Iceball, FJP, 242, RUN, 1, 123 Slide (34%)

- EN combos
- Hardest combos
- Combos with Brutality enders
- Combos with X-Ray enders
- Longer DMG combos, like those 80%+ I wrote above.

It's to cover all the combos and the explanation needed for Unbreakable. :)

Jeffrey Wolf

Cool. When I put it all together (today or tomorrow), I'll lay it out like that. Then, if you see anything you want to add/change @Tanno when you move it to it's own thread, please feel free. If it feels to you like there's something big I missed and you want help with it, just let me know, and I'll add it in.

Tanno

Sure. Fortunately, I happen to have a very good memory, and so I might find something you might have missed. I will fill them for you. ;)

Once you complete the list by creating the thread, I will start with the video and the possibly missable combos. ;)

Jeffrey Wolf

Did you want me to start the new thread? I thought we'd get it all setup here and then you'd actually create the thread, so you can add videos to the original OP as you make them. That way the vids you upload don't end up lost in responses.

Tanno

I see. OK. I will create the new thread with this whole information there. When you finish it, just tell me to move them all in the new thread in a very good order along with my graphic works. :)

Once completed, it will be an amazing thread, and I'll add everyone who found the new setups and gave valuable information about Unbreakable. :)

Lokheit

Noob
Guys I see you're putting the effort in this and I'm worried it might have to be redone from scratch if there is indeed a balance patch (there has been a lot of noise about it happening soon) and UB is changed (he would need some big changes in order to scape the bottom of the tiers list).

Tanno

Guys I see you're putting the effort in this and I'm worried it might have to be redone from scratch if there is indeed a balance patch (there has been a lot of noise about it happening soon) and UB is changed (he would need some big changes in order to scape the bottom of the tiers list).
This is what I'm also concerned. I'll update the video, if I see some changes there and to see which works or not. If changes have been made for him, I'll redo the video and re-upload it, and will update the OP, so don't worry. Right now, I'm doing the universal and the Aura On combos to give good compares for the DMG meter. :)
It will take me a while to record all these moves and to compare those universal with the Aura ones.

Last edited:

Tanno

Found another meterless and hardest as fuck combo.

FJP, B12~Iceball, FJP, 242xx242, 112 (31%)
FJP, B12~Aura, B12~Iceball, FJP, 242xx242, 112 (35%)

The Aura version is very tight. Try starting right in the middle. The "xx" indicates the RUN input. Done them recorded.

Tanno

I'll be damned. I found another combo link. Try this:

B12~Aura, F42~Slide (26%)
Without B12~Aura it is 18%.

It's a bit tight, but its time is between the B12 and the 242.

Unbreakable have the hardest to execute combos in the game
Try mine
jump 1 + back 1 + 2 + aura +2 + 4+ 2 + run 4 + slide midscreen ( in the corner is easier of course).
Impractical and unworthy damage around 34%.
I did it only once.

Tanno

Unbreakable have the hardest to execute combos in the game
Try mine
jump 1 + back 1 + 2 + aura +2 + 4+ 2 + run 4 + slide midscreen ( in the corner is easier of course).
Impractical and unworthy damage around 34%.
I did it only once.
I did it in midscreen 4-5 times now. Got them recorded. The right timing is right after the RUN input, because when you get the RUN input the opponent will already get juggled down. Got the following hard combos.

FJP, B12~Aura, 242xx4~EN Slide, SS, NJP, FJPxx123~Slide = 35%
FJP, B12~Iceball, FJP, 242xx4~Slide = 29%

I did it in midscreen 4-5 times now. Got them recorded. The right timing is right after the RUN input, because when you get the RUN input the opponent will already get juggled down. Got the following hard combos.

FJP, B12~Aura, 242xx4~EN Slide, SS, NJP, FJPxx123~Slide = 35%
FJP, B12~Iceball, FJP, 242xx4~Slide = 29%
those seem brutal.

Swaggy one

with aura on: back+ 2 + run +forward 4 + 2 + en slide + wiff slide + wiff slide + back + 1 + 2 + slide.
35%

Tanno

Unsure how you got it 35%. Without the FJP as starter, it gives 28%. With FJP it gives 34%. Try this combo, which makes it a bit easy.

Aura ON: FJP, B2xxF42~EN Slide, Aura, B12~Burst. 34% with only 8 hits.

Unsure how you got it 35%. Without the FJP as starter, it gives 28%. With FJP it gives 34%. Try this combo, which makes it a bit easy.

Aura ON: FJP, B2xxF42~EN Slide, Aura, B12~Burst. 34% with only 8 hits.
Your numbers are right. Is just that I cannot remember the percentages now.
Anyway.
Any Unbreakable En slide (when on aura of course) gives you a chance to wiff slide twice.

And your combo it's more optimal.( In defense of mine it has more swag lmao):cool:.

Last edited:

Tanno

Your numbers are right. Is just that I cannot remember the percentages now.
Anyway.
Any Unbreakable En slide (when on aura of course) gives you a chance to wiff slide twice.

And your combo seems more optimal.( In defense of mine it has more swag lmao):cool:.
LOL. Now I got it. You mean to slide UNDER the frozen aired opponent. The frozen opponent has 3 secs being in the air before the ice breaks. It gives you some time to do a new Aura to continue the combo, or just to do the brutality, just in case the 1st brutality (Aura> EN Slide) doesn't work. This brutality CAN be done even when someone is in air. ;)

In some combos, you'll see that you can walk UNDER your frozen opponent, because the gravity allows your opponent to be a bit high. Yours combo had to slide, because you CANNOT walk under your opponent.

You need to think of many possible combos that could be either easy or hard as fuck like those you found.

Jeffrey Wolf

Unbreakable Combo Guide

Hello all! It's been a bit since the Unbreakable guide was updated, so myself and @Tanno--along with multiple contributors!--put something new together. While we have tried our very best to be accurate and comprehensive, if you notice an error, something we've missed, or discover new tech, please let us know! In addition to the written portion of this guide, there will also be videos, including, but not limited to combos and Parry inconsistencies.

The written portion of the guide will be broken into six main areas. They are:

1. Character Overview
2. Special Moves
3. X-Ray
4. Game Play
5. Combos
6. Closing Thoughts

Which will be subdivided into:

1. Character Overview
2. Special Moves

a) Burst
b) Ice Ball
c) Slide
d) Aura
e) Parry​
3. X-Ray
4. Game Play

a) Footsies
b) Frame Traps
c) Resets
d) Breaking Armor
e) Waking up
f) Interrupting Strings
g) Safe Aura Setups
h) Parry Setups​
5. Combos
a) 11 Starter
b) 12 Starter
c) B12 Starter
etc.
y) EN Aura
z) X-Ray Parry​
6. Closing Thoughts

Let's get started!

1. Character Overview

Unbreakable Sub doesn't get as much damage as Cyromancer midscreen or as much as Grandmaster in the corner. He also doesn't have Cyromancer's hard hitting 50/50s or Grandmaster's Klone for the neutral. This might beg the question, why play Unbreakable? After all, most view it to be Sub's worst variation, if not the worst variation in the entire game. However, Unbreakable does have tools that neither of his other two variations possess, and fares well in a number of different matches if you can bring those tools to bear. This guide is an attempt to show just how to do that, by exploring the ins and outs of a ninja who has the coolest mask in the entire game, if not all of Mortal Kombat history =)

2. Special Moves

Unbreakable Sub has five different special moves, all of which will be detailed below. In addition, information will be given concerning the enhanced (i.e. EN) version of each, which costs a bar to use.

a) Burst / EN Burst (i.e. Frost Bomb)

Burst was not always a move that Unbreakable Sub had, but we're very happy that he does now. Though it's regular version is rather slow to start at 23 frames, it leads to max damage combos and can be a good ender for blocked string, either to chip or to throw off the opponent's attack timing. Some characters can easily punish a blocked Burst (e.g. Reptile), so in some matches it will be good to use, while in others you should avoid throwing it out much, or at all.

While regular Burst is nice, EN Burst is great. Not only is it much faster at 15 frames, but it has armor and launches for a combo. In addition, it's only negative -10 and has push back, so it's tough for many characters to punish, or if they can punish it's not for very much, making it one of the best armored launchers in the game. As with all armored moves, it can be used for wake up, footsies, anti-air, or to interrupt gaps in strings.

Though all Sub variations get to use Burst, Unbreakable has the best version of it, since, when Aura is on, Burst and EN Burst both do more damage. Here's the breakdown:

Burst = 9%
Burst with Aura = 13%
EN Burst = 8%
EN Burst with Aura = 12%​

While Burst is great in a lot of ways, you will usually end up wanting to end combos with Slide instead of Burst, because Burst doesn't lead to a hard knockdown like Slide does, and using Burst takes Aura away. That said, in the combo section, you will see that ending short strings with Burst can be a good idea, especially if you don't have time to hit confirm into the very unsafe Slide, and that there are many uses for EN Burst, as not only a raw attack, but to get max damage in corner combos.

b) Ice Ball / EN Ice Ball (i.e. Ice Blast)

Regular Ice Ball will be your primary meterless combo extender. It can also be used in the neutral, but don't do it too close to the opponent or against opponent's with teleporting attacks much, as it's incredibly slow to recover (-164 frames!). If you do manage to hit someone with a raw Ice Ball though, you will get a full combo, even from full screen, so it can be worthwhile to throw out every now and then.

EN Ice Ball travels faster than regular Ice Ball and destroys other projections, so it can win you projectile wars. Please note, if it hits another projectile that destroys projectiles (e.g. Kotal Kahn's EN Disc), both will be destroyed. EN Ice Ball is a very important part of some combos, as certain strings can't be comboed into regular Ice Ball, and in those cases EN Ice Ball will be needed instead. Also, EN Ice Ball does less damage scaling than regular Ice Ball, so is featured in some max damage comboes. That said, EN Ice Ball still creates scaling, so in the highest damaging combos it will be used late, or not at all.

In case you're curious, out of Unbreakable Sub's four ways of freezing the opponent on the ground (i.e. Ice Ball, EN Ice Ball, X-Ray Parry, and Parry/EN Parry), the scale from most severe (i.e. most damage lost) to least sever (i.e. least damage lost) is:

Ice Ball --> EN Ice Ball --> X-Ray Parry --> Parry/EN Parry

Please note, even though Parry/EN Parry scales the lease, you still lose 1-2% damage. More on Parry, EN Parry, and X-Ray Parry later in this guide.

c) Slide / EN Slide (i.e. Icy Slide)

Regular Slide is very fast to start (9 frames), quick to recover (14 frames), long traveling, ducks Sub under attacks, and leaves the opponent in a hard knockdown state. It will be your go to move to punish projectiles, travel around the screen, avoid jump-ins/get out of the corner, and perhaps most importantly, end your combos. Slide leaves you at +30, which is plenty of time to either put on Aura, if you don't already have it on, or run up and pressure the opponent.

EN Slide without Aura on serves the same purpose as regular Slide, but with a few tweaks. It starts just as fast, but has 21 recovery frames instead of 14. However, it gains armor, which can be invaluable if you need a fast armored wake up (if, for example, the opponent is breaking your EN Burst armor). It also switches sides with the opponent, so can be used to get you out of the corner on hit.

EN Slide with Aura on is a whole different story, and is another buff we're very glad that Unbreakable received. Now, on the second hit, Sub will lose his Aura, but will freeze the opponent in the air, which leads to a combo follow up. This means that Unbreakable Sub is one of the few characters in the game that can punish characters nearly full screen with a combo. In addition, EN Slide is featured in many of Unbreakable Sub's highest damaging combos, as it lets you save that damage scaling freeze (as talked about above) for near the end of the combo.

d) Aura / EN Aura (i.e. Ice Aura)

Regular Aura is one of Unbreakable Sub's defining special moves and is used for two purposes: to increase damage and to avoid damage. It increases damage by powering up Burst, EN Burst, and EN Slide, as previously discussed, as well as letting you link certain strings together. Meterless, the only string that creates enough hit advantage to get another string after is B12~Aura, which leaves you at roughly +12. Even though it's the only one, it's incredibly useful and you will see it in countless combos. In terms of avoiding damage, regular Aura helps in this regard by negating chip damage. In a heavy pressure game like MKX, this can amount to quite a lot of negated damage. In addition, it can let you mount comebacks, where other characters would have easily been chip killed. For these reasons, it is advisable to have Aura on whenever possible, and is why combos will universally be ended with Slide, instead of Burst, to retain Aura. In addition, under Game Play, there is a section about Safe Aura Setups, to ensure that for as much of the match as possible, you'll have Aura.

EN Aura is like regular Aura in that it can extend combos and power up certain moves, as well as negate chip. However, EN Aura recovers in half the time that regular Aura does (15 frames compared to 31 frames), and for this reason it can create many plus scenarios. All of these are described in detail in the Game Play, Frame Traps portion of this guide. Due to this greater speed, there are also many combo uses for EN Aura, so you will see it pop up a number of times in the Combos section, especially when going for max damage. Lastly, EN Aura grants Sub a 33% damage reduction, so can be used when low on life or to setup safer Parries, the latter of which is described in more depth under Game Play, Parry Setups.

Please note, at this time Aura and EN Aura do not stop Liu Kang Flame Fist's Shaolin Flame aura or DOT effects like Caltrops or Acidic Alien's acid attacks. Hopefully, the upcoming patch will change this, since it's rather ridiculous to play a character that isn't supposed to take chip damage, who then does take chip damage.

d) Parry / EN Parry (i.e. Barrier of Ice)

Regular Parry is Unbreakable Sub's other defining special move, and is used to turn the opponent's attacks against them, stopping almost all grounded based moves, even ones with armor. However, it will not stop airborne regular attacks or specials (there are some exceptions with the specials, which are detailed in @ando1184's video), or X-Rays. It will also stop most projectiles, but Sub takes quite a while to recover, so it's generally not advisable to use for that purpose. Instead, just have Aura up and take no chip, or duck/low profile the projectile using D4. When an opponent makes contact with Parry, it leaves them frozen and open to a full combo. This does count as a freeze, so you can't freeze them again, but as mentioned previously, the damage scaling on this freeze is almost non-existent, which means you can get a big punish (i.e. 30+% damage). Parry is also his fastest meterless move at 6 frames and for this reason can be invaluable in footsies and even when waking up. It does have 31 recovery frames though, so if your opponent baits it out, you're going to get punished. You can help skew the risk/reward back in your favor though by having EN Aura on when you Parry, as that way you're only taking 2/3rds of the damage.

EN Parry is 3 frames faster than regular Parry (i.e. 3 instead of 6), making it Unbreakable Sub's fastest move, and stays active for 3 additional frames. However, it has the same recovery as regular Parry, leads to the same damage, and has no armor, so in most cases you will just end up using regular Parry instead, or an armored move like EN Burst. The exception to this is when looking to interrupt certain strings. In those cases, the 3 frame difference between EN Parry and Parry can be an important difference. Information on this can be found in the Game Play, Interrupting Strings section.

3. X-Ray

Like all characters in this game, Sub's X-Ray has multiple hits of armor and can't be combo broken by the opponent, which is an important trait if you're looking for the kill. Unlike most other characters though, Sub's X-Ray is also a dash cancelable Parry. What's more, unlike his regular or EN Parry, X-Ray Parry can actually stop jump-ins! After freezing the opponent in this way, it is possible to dash out of the X-Ray and then continue the combo, but this will do less damage than just letting go of the X-Ray so its attack can connect. Also, once you get good at anit-airing with EN Burst, that will be a more effective use of your meter, since it leads to equivalent damage.

When parrying a grounded opponent with X-Ray, again, you can dash out and keep the combo going. In fact, the X-Ray freeze doesn't count as their first freeze, so you can freeze them again! The damage midscreen is, sadly, the same damage, or slightly less, as you would get from just letting the X-Ray hit, but doing it will build meter, so these combos will be listed in the Combos section. Even better, if you X-Ray Parry someone in the corner, you can get more damage than just the X-Ray would give, so those combos will also be in the Combos section.

Speaking of damage, except for combos in the corner, X-Ray will always lead to Unbreakable's highest damage, so you will see it show up consistently in the 3 Bar portion of the Combos section.

4. Game Play

Knowing when and how to use Unbreakable Sub's special moves, and regular moves, is an integral part of winning with him. For that reason, this area will be devoted to everything from foundational footsies to how setup safe Auras and better Parries.

a) Footsies

Unbreakable Sub doesn't have the best neutral, but it's important to know the tools he does have. Universal moves (e.g. NJK or back dash) won't be listed here, but all his best buttons and strings will be. For ease of reference, they are given from the longest range to the shortest, with special moves at the end:

F42 (12 frame start up) = This is a double mid hitting string that moves Sub forward during both parts, covering about half of the screen. It's -7 on block, so basically safe. You can end it in Burst for chip / to mess up the opponent's attack timing, but this is not a block string (i.e. the opponent can armor the gap) and, as mentioned in the description of Burst, some characters can easily punish a blocked Burst. You can also cancel into EN Aura to remain positive on block, as listed in the upcoming Frame Traps section. If you hit, you can cancel into Slide for 14% damage. You can do a full combo if you do F4~Ice Ball, but it is impossible to hit confirm that, so it would have to be a read/punish. Beyond that, if you want to spend bar for more damage of off F42, you can find those combos in the Combos section.

F33 (9 frame start up) = This is a mid, low, mid string. The first attack doesn't move Sub forward but the next two do. It's only -4 on block, making it one of Sub's least negative moves. Because of this, if you read that the opponent will do a 10+ frame move after blocking, you can go into Parry after and catch them. The first and second hits of this string can be cancelled, but not the third. Since it's barely negative on block though, you will usually only cancel it on hit. On hit, after the second hit, you can cancel into Burst for 16-20% damage (Aura off/on). If you want more damage, you can spend bar, which is shown in the Combos section.

12 (7 frame start up, but you'll probably be connecting with just the second hit, which is 12 frames) = This move is a high, low string. The first hit doesn't move Sub at all, but the second lunges him forward. It's -6 if blocked, so safe. On block, you have the standard string cancel options (i.e. Burst or EN Aura). If you hit, you can cancel into Burst for anywhere from 12-17% damage, depending on if you hit with 12 or just the 2, and whether or not you have Aura on. You can do a full combo if you connect with this string in the corner or if you spend bar, both of which are detailed in the Combos section.

B12 (11 frame start up) = The is a double mid hitting string that doesn't move Sub forward much on the first part, but the second does. It can juggle airborne opponents, but it must hit them high. It's is -6 on block, so safe. On block, you have the standard string cancel options (i.e. Burst or EN Aura). If you hit, it leads to a full combo, which is detailed in the Combos section. In addition to footsies, you will use this string for max damage punishes, when the opponent is at significant frame disadvantage (e.g. after a blocked special move).

B2 (17 frame start up) = This overhead hitting attack covers a lot of the screen, while moving you forward, and leads to full combos on grounded and airborne opponents. The downside is that it's -13 on block, but at max range it's very tough for the opponent to punish. Combos, meterless and with meter, are detailed in the Combos section.

D4 (9 frame start up) = This is a low hitting attack that connects from a bit more than one character length away. It can juggle airborne opponents, but it must hit them high. It's -6 on block, so safe. You can cancel it into Burst for chip / to mess up the opponent's attack timing, but there's a sizeable gap between the two. If you hit with D4, you're at +17, so can run up for pressure.

B4 (15 frame start up) = This is another low hitting attack that connects from about a character length away, but is 6 frames slower than D4 and leads to a knockdown on hit. It's -5 on block, so safe, but can't be cancelled. On hit, it leaves you at +23, which is enough of an advantage to put Aura on, as described below in Safe Aura Setups.

B33 (12 frame start up) = This is a double low hitting string that moves Sub forward a bit. It's -8, so unsafe against fast moves. On block, you have the standard string cancel options (i.e. Burst or EN Aura). If you hit on females, or males in the corner, it leads to a full combo, which is detailed in the Combos section. If it hits on males midscreen, you can either end in Burst for 14-18% damage (Aura off/on), or continue the combo by spending bar, which is also in the Combos section.

11 (7 frame start up) = This is a high, mid string that doesn't move Sub forward and has very short range. Despite it's lack of range, it can still be useful in footsies, due to its speed, if, for example, the opponent is running up into your face to pressure. It's -5 if blocked, so safe. On block, you have the standard string cancel options (i.e. Burst or EN Aura). If you hit, it leads to a full combo, which is detailed in the Combos section. In addition to footsies, you will use this string to punish any moves that B12 is too slow to punish.

D3 (9 frame start up) = This is a low hitting move with very short range. It's only -1 though, which means you can go into Parry or continued poke pressure after. If you hit, you're +14 and so can run up for pressure, though not as much as if you hit with D4.

Slide (9 frame start up) = Sub's second longest range move. Best used to punish whiffed moves or projectiles on reaction. It can counter jump ins as well if properly spaced. This move is heavily negative on block though, so it should be used sparingly. Also, it only does 8% damage, so if you can connect with a string or use a Parry instead, do so. Lastly, it can be used to chip out an opponent, but be sure it will kill! Otherwise, you're very likely going to eat a big combo.

EN Slide (9 frame start up) = Sub's longest range move. The same purpose as regular Slide, but has armor if needed. Also, if you have Aura on, leads to a full combo, so a much bigger bang for your buck, and a solid long range punish when the opponent thinks themselves safe.

EN Burst (15 frame start up) = Has a bit more range than standing 1. As has been stated previously, and will be stated again in this guide, a very good all around move, due to it's positive risk/reward. Great to use when you think the opponent will attack (e.g. after a brief staring contest or when you've just finished a string that's negative), but don't want to commit to the much more risky Parry.

Parry (6 frame start up) = This move, of course, only connects when the opponent attacks and it doesn't move Sub forward. If the Parry doesn't catch someone, you will almost certainly combo punished, since it has 35 recovery frames. Basically, it's a big risk. However, it is Sub's fastest non-meter move and leads to a full, 30ish% combo if it connects, so it can be useful. Try to determine the opponent's patterns the first round, so you can deduce when you will have the highest chance of success when throwing it out. You can also use it on reaction to opponents who start their forward advancing strings too far away, or when you have EN Aura on, so the downside isn't as great. The latter is discussed more below in Parry Setups.

EN Parry (3 frame start up) = Technically Sub's fastest move, but it can get stuffed when moves like EN Slide or EN Burst won't, since they have armor on the first frame. Because of this, as well as other reasons given in the description for EN Parry, for footsies, you should plan to use regular Parry, EN Slide, or EN Burst if you want to stop an attacking opponent.

b) Frame Traps

By knowing when you are plus, you can continue to pressure the opponent or bait them into getting hit. Beyond jumping punches and kicks, there are only two meterless options that leave Unbreakable with plus frames after attacking on block:

F12 = +2. There is a fair amount of pushback after using this string, so, unfortunately, you can't just throw or start another string after, since Sub's forward moving strings are slow. However, you can Parry all incoming pokes or poke yourself with D4. If the D4 connects, you will be at +17, at which point you can run in for a mix up.

F4~Aura = +4. This leaves you right next to the opponent, so you can mix up between throw, poke pressure, new string, or Parry. That said, the only guaranteed follow ups are: 1, D1, F3, D3, D4, Slide, as well as Parry if the opponent attacks.

Things get more exciting with EN Aura cancels, as, for a bar, Unbreakable can become plus off of multiple strings. Big shout outs to @GOL Eklectic for compiling the majority of this info!

F3~EN Aura = +3
After, can win with 1.
Parry beats any poke or advancing attack.

B1~EN Aura = +4
After, can win with 1, D1, F3, D3, D4, Slide.

B12~EN Aura = +4
Hit confirmable into combo (e.g. B12~EN Aura, B12~Ice Ball, etc.)

F42~EN Aura = +4
Hit confirmable into combo, but must use advancing string (e.g. F42~EN Aura, F4~Ice Ball, etc.).

B33~EN Aura = +6
After, can win with 1, B1, D1, 2, F3, D3, D4, Throw, Slide.
Hit confirmable into a combo (e.g. B33~EN Aura, B12~Ice Ball, etc.).

12~EN Aura = +6
After, can win with 1, B1, D1, 2, F3, D3, D4, Throw, Slide.
Hit confirmable into combo (e.g. 12~EN Aura, B12~Ice Ball, etc.).

11~EN Aura = +10
After, can win with 1, B1, D1, 2, D2, 3, B3, F3, D3, F4, D4, Throw, Slide.
B2 can beat anything slower than 7 frames, except armor, obviously.
1 after is a true block string.
Hit confirmable into combo (e.g. 11~EN Aura, B12~Ice Ball, etc.).

3~EN Aura = +11
After, can win with 1, B1, F1, D1, 2, D2, 3, B3, F3, D3, 4, B4, F4, D4, Throw, Slide.
(Basically, all buttons win but B2).
B2 can beat anything slower than 6 frames, except armor.
1, D1, F3, D3, and D4 after are all true block strings.
Hit confirmable into combo (e.g. 3~EN Aura, B12~Ice Ball, etc.).

F4~EN Aura = +18
After, can follow up with any button for a true block string. This includes a 50/50 block string using B2 or B33. If the opponent is good at fuzzy blocking the 3 frame difference between the two, you can instead go into 123~Burst for chip, or F12 for continued plus frames. Again, these are all block strings. If you Throw after F4~EN Aura, you'll need to slightly delay or it will whiff, because the opponent is still in block stun.​

c) Resets

Sometimes you will want to go for the kill, or just more damage, but don't have enough meter to do so. In those instances, you can try to reset the opponent by finishing your initial combo early, and then starting a new one. From a meterless standpoint, Unbreakable Sub is better at this than the other two variations, because of his Aura cancels. As long as you are comboing a grounded opponent, you can use B12~Aura, B12 to be at +20, which is enough frames to follow up with anything you like, whether it's the overhead B2, the low hitting B33, a Throw, or even just another string. Again, this can be done with any ground based combo, and should look like this:

Opening string~Ice Ball, walk back, Burst (for meter and to get rid of Aura if on), JIP(1), B12~Aura, B12.
Depending on the opening string, this will do anywhere from 18-23% damage on it's own. If you're worried about hitting the B12~Aura, B12 link, you can instead do just B12 (+20), or B12~Aura (+12), or B12~Aura, 12 (+11), and then the opening hit of the new combo. These alternates will, of course, sacrifice damage. In addition, the last two aren't nearly as plus, and the last one leaves you too far for most follow ups except B2.

d) Breaking Armor

When the opponent is waking up with an armored move, instead of blocking or Parrying it, you may wish to try and break through it. This is often true if the special move they are doing would leave them at advantage or only slightly negative, instead of being full combo punishable, or if the move can't be Parried.

Meterless, you'll want to use a mid hitting move, like F1, F4, or B12, followed by Slide. Alternatively, you can use Parry in place of Slide, if the move can be Parried.

If you wish to get more damage than regular Slide nets, and the opponent's wake up can't be Parried, you can use F1, F4, or B12 into EN Burst, followed by a standard EN Burst combo, as detailed in the Combos section. For the record, EN Slide isn't advisable for this, even if you have Aura on, since some wake up moves are airborne and that would cause the EN slide to whiff, wasting the bar.

Props to @neveradestroyer for recently starting this conversation on TYM.

e) Waking Up

After being knocked down, besides the universally available reactions of blocking, back dashing, jumping, quick rising, and delaying wake up, Sub has a number of different options:

Meterless

- Parry = only 6 frames, making it his fastest meterless move. You can get stuffed though, and if they don't attack, you'll eat a full combo. Of course, if they do attack, you'll get a 30ish% combo. Best to do if you have EN Aura on, since if you do get hit, you'll only take 2/3rds of the damage.

- Standing 1 = 7 frames, so Sub's fastest normal move. However, it's a High (i.e. duckable), so can be risky.

- D4/D3 = both are 9 frames. D4 has more range and low profiles you, while D3 is only -1 on block, instead of D4's -6, so D3 can be good to do a Parry after or just another fast poke.

- Throw = 10 frames and good if you read that the opponent will block, perhaps because you've conditioned them to block by using Parry =)

Metered

- EN Parry = only 3 frames, so Unbreakable Sub's fastest move. However, it doesn't have armor, so can still get stuffed. Due to the risk and meter consumption, it's almost always better to either regular Parry or use another EN move.

- EN Slide = only 9 frames, so still a very fast option and it swaps you sides, which is good for getting out of the corner. You are also able to do a full combo if you have Aura on. However, it is -22 on block, so very punishable. Only good to do if you need armor on the first frame and think that the opponent will use an armor breaking attack.

- EN Burst = 15 frames, so can get beat out by armor breaking attacks. It's also -10 on block. However, due to pushback, it is usually safe, making it an amazing wake up, especially since it leads to a combo. What's more, it does additional damage with Aura on and doesn't use a freeze, so there are multiple possible extensions if you are willing to burn more meter. A full breakdown of these can be found in the Combos section.

- X-Ray = 13 frame start up, but it has multiple hits of armor. Also, once active, it becomes a Parry that you can hold, and even dash out of if needed, so it's very versatile. Of course, using it takes all of your meter, so EN Burst should usually be your go to wake up if you want to spend bar.

f) Interrupting Strings

In most cases, EN Burst will be your go to way to interrupt strings, since it has armor on the first frame. That said, there are some gaps that are big enough for EN Parry to stop, and even a few for regular Parry. Knowing them is important, because, for the most part, hitting with EN Parry will net you more damage than EN Burst, and getting to use regular Parry will save you meter. Major props to @Braindead for putting this list together, and @n1kosh for the added notations!

Legend:
* = Gap that can be parried using EN Parry
** = Gap that can be parried using normal Parry.
(more stars = larger gap)

Cassie Cage
B1 2 * 4
3 3 * 2
1 2 * 1 (Exactly a 2-frame gap, extremely hard to time it. Also inconsistent - might depend on the stance)

Goro
B1 2 ** U2

Ermac
F2 1 * D2
F3 * 4

Jacqui Briggs
2 3 3 ** 4

Jax
B3 * D2

Wrestler:
F3 ** 1+3
F4 ** 1+3

Kano

Cybernetic:
F3 * 2+4

Kenshi
4 4 * 1

Kung Lao
F 2 * 3
4 ** 4

Liu Kang
1 1 * 3
F4 4 * 4

Mileena
F4 * 4

Ravenous:
B1 2 ** 1+3

Quan Chi

Warlock:
1 2 ** 1+3

Raiden

Thunder God:
1 1 2 ** 2 (Switch inputs direction when doing the parry because Raiden switches sides)
B1 1 2 ** 2 (Also switch sides, otherwise you'd get an ice ball)

Reptile
1 4 ** 1

Shinnok
1 1 2 * 3

Takeda
B2 1 ** 2+4

Kombat Pack 1 & 2 (& hopefully 3) info to come!

g) Safe Aura Setups

Any regular combo starter canceled into Aura will leave you plus and so is a safe Aura setup (i.e. you can put Aura on without being punished). However, unless you are looking to reset, as described above, this isn't worth it, as you could just finish the combo and then safely put Aura on. Instead, this will be a list of moves that knock the opponent down and give you enough time to put Aura on after. Only ones that are safe anywhere on screen and against a quick rising opponent will be given. In addition, info will be given about how +/- the move is on block, so you can compare the cost/benefit of using it.

On Hit Midscreen/Corner - Opponent Grounded/Airborne

F12 = on block, it's plus +2.
NJK = on block, it's plus if it connects late.

F33 = on block, it's safe at only -4.

B4 = on block, it's safe at only -5; such a good move!

112 = on block, it's punishable at -9.
B33D1 = on block, it's punishable at -12
Slide = on block, it's of course very punishable at -22

Burst is only a safe Aura setup midscreen.
Throw into Aura can be safe midscreen too, but it depends on the match up. For example, Reptile's Ex Slide punishes it.​

On block, the list is much smaller:

On Block Midscreen/Corner - Opponent Grounded

F4~Aura = this cancel is plus, as was discussed in the Frame Trap section. This is the only plus, non-meter option.

3~Aura = this cancel isn't safe against Reptiles EN Slide, but it is against his Dash, so it's probably around -7. This likely won't be used much, but hey, it's there.

11~Aura = this cancel isn't safe against Reptile's Dash, but it is safe to Sub's Slide, so it's probably around -8. Again, not something you'd normally use, but if you have godlike reactions and notice that you're not hitting with 11 into Ice Ball you could cancel into Aura instead and be safe against a fair number of standard punishes.​

h) Parry Setups

These can be done off of any regular combo, but instead of using an Aura cancel early to link strings together, you’ll use an EN Aura late as an aerial juggle to setup plus frames and damage reduction. This way, the follow up Parry won't be as risky. For example.

Opening String~Ice Ball, walk back, Burst (for meter and to get rid of Aura if on), JIP(1), 242, run, B12~EN Aura, B12~Slide​

You will lose about 1% from the regular damage of the combo, but you will be left with almost the full time remaining on EN Aura, and 30 plus frames to work with. At this point you can run up and Parry, or Throw once they begin to respect the Parry. If the Parry connects, you get a full combo. If they wait and then combo you, you're taking reduced damage.

Please note, this same principle can be used for any combo you start with Aura off, or are able to get rid of Aura during. Props to @boba_buster for the setup.

Beyond this type of Parry setup, your other best options are when the opponent has blocked a move of yours that is plus, or you made plus by canceling into Aura/EN Aura, or when they've blocked a move with very low negative frames, like D3 (-1) or F33 (-4).

5. Combos

For the most part, these combos will be max damage. However, there are three exceptions:

1) Nearly all combos end in Slide instead of Burst, even though Burst generally does 1% more damage. This is because Slide allows you to retain Aura, puts the opponent in a hard knockdown state, and leaves you at +30, allowing for continued pressure. Burst also leaves you plus, but knocks the opponent away, and they can roll out. So, all in all, the extra 1% damage will usually not be worth the trade off. Also, in longer combos, trying to end in Burst will whiff.

2) Combos listed will have both midscreen and corner versions. However, if you start the combo midscreen, but then the 242 portion (which is featured in most) leaves you near the corner, instead of using the regular ender, finish with a second 242, followed by 123~Slide. This will generally increase your damage by 1%.

3) Speaking of the corner, after freezing an opponent in the air, whether that's done with Ice Ball, EN Ice Ball, or EN Slide with Aura on, you can NJP, D2, 12~Slide for 1% more damage than the corner combos listed in this guide. However, doing so will knock the opponent out of the corner, which will normally not be in your interest.

4) Combos listed will take male and female differences into account, but not different sizes. For example, against large characters in the corner it is possible to aerial juggle B12~EN Aura, B12, but against regular sized characters and smaller you can only do B12~EN Aura, 123. The B12 version leads to 1% more damage. In addition, if doing the D2 tech listed above in 2), instead of doing 12~Slide at the end, you can do 21~Slide on big bodies for another +1%. It's extremely tight though. Shout outs to lab monsters @DarksydeDash and @DsV Kayy9 for the info in 3) and 4).

Also, shout outs to @crosshair271 for always pushing for optimal meter gain (i.e. Slide instead of dash when possible). This principle has been used in the following combos where applicable.

If there are multiple ways of doing the combo for equivalent damage, then the easiest way will be listed. Lastly, each starter is given in it's own area, with max damage options, for ease of reference and also so you can decide if spending the bar is worth it.

a) 11 Starter

Midscreen - You and Opponent Grounded

Meterless

11~Ice Ball, walk back, Burst (for meter and to get rid of Aura), JIP(1), B12~Aura, 242, run, 1, B12~Slide
- Aura off/on Damage = 25%
- Notes: None.

1 Bar

11~EN Freeze, walk back, Burst (for meter and to get rid of Aura), JIP(1), B12~Aura, 242, run, 1, B12~Slide
- Aura off/on Damage = 28%

2 Bars

11~EN Aura, B2, run, F42~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), run, B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 30%
- Notes: This can only be done with Aura off. If you have Aura on, there is no point in spending two bars, as ending the above 1 Bar combo in EN Slide does the same damage and ending in EN Burst does less.

3 Bars

11~X-Ray
- Aura off/on Damage = 34%
- Notes: You can do a longer combo (e.g. 11~Ice Ball, back dash JIP, B12~X-Ray, or 11~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP, B12~Aura, B12~X-Ray), but the damage is the same, so should only be done if you need to build the meter to get to X-Ray.

Corner - You and Opponent Grounded

Meterless

11~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off/on Damage = 29%

1 Bar

11~EN Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off/on Damage = 33%

11~EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 33%
- Aura on Damage = 37%
- Notes: If you have Aura on, do this combo instead of the above. Otherwise, either works.

2 Bars

11~EN Aura, B2, B2, 242, 123~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 37%
- Notes: This can only be done with Aura off. If you have Aura on, do the below.

11~EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Ice Ball, NJP, JIP(2), 1, B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 35%
- Aura on Damage = 39%
- Notes: If you have Aura on, do this combo. If you have Aura off, do the above.

3 Bars

11~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B12~X-Ray
- Aura off/on Damage = 37%

11~EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Aura, 123~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 38%
- Aura on Damage = 42%
- Notes: The only reason to use the above, instead of this combo, is if you want it to be unbreakable.

b) 12 Starter

Meterless

12~Slide
- Aura off/on Damage = 12%
- Notes: Hitting with just the 2 part of 12 lowers the damage by 1%.

12~Burst
- Aura off Damage = 13%
- Aura on Damage = 17%
- Notes: Hitting with just the 2 part of 12 lowers the damage by 1-2%.

1 Bar

12~EN Freeze, walk slightly back, Burst (for meter and to get rid of Aura), JIP(1), B12~Aura, 242, run, 1, B12~Slide
- Aura off/on Damage = 28%
- Notes: Hitting with just the 2 part of 12 does the same damage.

2 Bars

12~EN Aura, 242, run, 123~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 29%
- Notes: This can only be done with Aura off. If you have Aura on, do the above or below. Instead of 123~EN Slide, you can do 1, 123~EN Slide, or 1, B12~EN Slide, but those versions do the same damage. Hitting with just the 2 part of 12 lowers the damage by 1%.

3 Bars

12~X-Ray
- Aura off/on Damage = 35%
- Notes: Hitting with just the 2 part of 12 lowers the damage by 2%.

Meterless

12~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off/on Damage = 30%
- Notes: Unlike midscreen, 12~Ice Ball combos in the corner. Hitting with just the 2 part of 12 does the same damage.

1 Bar

12~EN Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off/on Damage = 34%
- Notes: Hitting with just the 2 part of 12 does 1% less damage.

12~EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 34%
- Aura on Damage = 38%
- Notes: If you have Aura on, be sure to use this combo instead of the above. Hitting with just the 2 part of 12 does 0-1% less damage.

2 Bars

12~EN Aura, B12~EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 37%
- Notes: This can only be done with Aura off. If you have Aura on, do the below. Hitting with just the 2 part of 12 does the same damage.

12~EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Ice Ball, NJP, JIP(2), 1, B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 36%
- Aura on Damage = 40%
- Notes: If you have Aura on, use this combo. If you have Aura off, use the above. Hitting with just the 2 part of 12 does the same damage.

3 Bars

12~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B12~X-Ray
- Aura off/on Damage = 38%
- Notes: Hitting with just the 2 part of 12 does 1% less damage.

12~EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Aura, 123~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 39%
- Aura on Damage = 43%
- Notes: Hitting with just the 2 part of 12 does the same damage. The only reason to use the above, instead of this combo, is if you want it to be unbreakable.

c) B12 Starter

Meterless

B12~Ice Ball, walk back, Burst (for meter and to get rid of Aura), JIP(1), B12~Aura, 242, run, 1, B12~Slide
- Aura off/on Damage = 31%

B12~Aura, B12~Ice Ball, walk back, JIP, 242, run, 1, B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 31%
- Notes: This can only be done with Aura off. If Aura is on, do the above.

1 Bar

B12~EN Freeze, walk back, Burst (for meter and to get rid of Aura), JIP(1), B12~Aura, 242, run, 1, B12~Slide
- Aura off/on Damage = 33%

B12~Aura, 242, run, 123~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), run, B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 34%

2 Bars

B12~EN Aura, B2, run, F42~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), run, B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 36%
- Notes: This can only be done with Aura off. If you have Aura on, there is no point in spending two bars, as ending the above 1 Bar combo in EN Slide does the same damage and ending in EN Burst does less.

3 Bars

B12~X-Ray
- Aura off/on Damage = 40%
- Notes: You can do a longer combo (e.g. B12~Ice Ball, walk back, JIP, B12~X-Ray, or B12~Ice Ball, walk back, JIP, B12~Aura, B12~X-Ray), but the damage is the same, or less, so should only be done if you need to build the meter to get to X-Ray.

B12~Aura, B12~X-Ray
- Aura off Damage = 43%

Meterless

B12~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off/on Damage = 35%

B12~Aura, B12~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 37%

1 Bar

B12~EN Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off/on Damage = 39%

B12~Aura, B12~EN Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 39%

B12~EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 39%
- Aura on Damage = 42%
- Notes: If you have Aura off, do the below.

B12~Aura, B12~EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 42%

2 Bars

B12~EN Aura, B2, B2, 242, 123~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 42%
- Notes: This can only be done with Aura off. If you have Aura on, do the below.

B12~EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Ice Ball, NJP, JIP(2), 1, B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 41%
- Aura on Damage = 45%
- Notes: If you have Aura on, do this combo. If you have Aura off, do the below.

B12~Aura, B12~EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Ice Ball, NJP, JIP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 44%
- Notes: This can only be done with Aura off. If you have Aura on, do the above. Adding a 1 before the last B12 doesn't increase the damage and makes the combo much harder.

3 Bars

B12~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B12~X-Ray
- Aura off/on Damage = 42%

B12~Aura, B12~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B12~X-Ray
- Aura off Damage = 42%
- Notes: This can only be done with Aura off. If you have Aura on, do the above for unbreakable damage or the below for max damage.

B12~EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Aura, 123~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 44%
- Aura on Damage = 48%
- Notes: If you have Aura off, use the below.

B12~Aura, B12~EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Aura, 123~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, JIP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 46%
- Notes: This can only be done with Aura off. If you have Aura on, use the above.

y) EN Burst

1 Bar

EN Burst, Slide
- Aura off Damage = 14%
- Aura on Damage = 18%

EN Burst, run, F42~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 19%
- Aura on Damage = 23%
- Notes: If you hit with the very edge of the EN Burst, use the above instead.

EN Burst, run, F421+3
- Aura off Damage = 20%
- Aura on Damage = 24%
- Notes: If you hit with the very edge of the EN Burst, use the first combo instead.

EN Burst, run, B12~Burst
- Aura off Damage = 22%
- Aura on Damage = 26%
- Notes: The opponent must be very close when the EN Burst hits for the B12 follow up to connect. If the opponent is too far, use on the of the above instead.

2 Bars

EN Burst, run, F42~EN Ice Ball, forward dash, NJP, FJP(2), run, B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 27%
- Aura on Damage = 31%
- Notes: If the EN Ice Ball hits too low, you won’t be able to connect the NJP, in which case you should just do B12~Slide. This will lower your damage by 3%.

EN Burst, run, B12~EN Ice Ball, forward dash, NJP, FJP(2), run, B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 29%
- Aura on Damage = 33%
- Notes: The opponent must be very close when the EN Burst hits for the B12 follow up to connect. If the opponent is too far, use the above instead.

3 Bars

Ending either of the above combos in EN Slide, instead of regular Slide, does 1% more.

EN Burst, run, B12~EN Aura, 123~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, walk forward, B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 33%
- Aura on Damage = 37%
- Notes: The opponent must be very close when the EN Burst hits for the B12 follow up to connect. If the opponent is too far, use the first 2 bar combo instead.

Midscreen - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

1 Bar

EN Burst, run, B12~Ice Ball, NJP, FJP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 28%
- Aura on Damage = 32%
- Notes: Opponent must be high in the air for the B12~Ice Ball to juggle. If not, use one of the combos in the both grounded section instead.

2 Bar

Ending the above combo in EN Slide, instead of regular Slide, does the same damage.

Using EN Ice Ball in the above combo, instead of regular Ice Ball, increases the damage by 1%.​

3 Bar

EN Burst, run, B12~EN Aura, B12~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, walk forward, B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 34%
- Aura on Damage = 38%
- Notes: The second B12 needs to be done while the opponent is low to the ground or the EN Slide will whiff. Adding a 1 before the first B12 can help with this timing. This does not change the damage.

1 Bar

EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 32%
- Aura on Damage = 36%
- Notes: If this combo is too hard, use the 1 bar midscreen, you grounded, opponent airborne combo instead. That is, EN Burst, B12~Ice Ball, etc.

2 Bars

Ending the above combo in EN Slide, instead of regular Slide, does 1% more damage.

EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Ice Ball, NJP, FJP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 34%
- Aura on Damage = 38%

3 Bars

Ending the above combo in EN Slide, instead of regular Slide, does 1% more damage.

EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Aura, 123~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, FJP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 38%
- Aura on Damage = 42%

Corner - You Grounded, Opponent Airborne

1 Bar

EN Burst, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 32%
- Aura on Damage = 36%
- Notes: Due to the higher juggle property of airborne starter combos, this one is much easier than the both grounded version.

2 Bars

EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Ice Ball, NJP, FJP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 34%
- Aura on Damage = 38%
- Notes: As just mentioned, easier than the both grounded version.

3 Bars

EN Burst, B2, B12~EN Aura, 123~EN Slide, Slide (for meter), forward dash, NJP, FJP(2), B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 38%
- Aura on Damage = 42%
- Notes: Easier than the both grounded version.

z) X-Ray Parry

3 Bars

X-Ray (hold), back dash, JIP, B12~Aura, B12~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP, 242, run, 1, B12~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 30%
- Notes: This does 1% less damage than just letting the X-Ray hit, but rebuilds you meter and leaves you with Aura on. If you have Aura on already, the freeze of the Parry isn't long enough for you to get rid of it, so you'll have to omit the double B12, which will lower your damage to 27%. So, with Aura on, you'll likely want to let the X-Ray hit.

3 Bars

X-Ray (hold), back dash, JIP(2), B2, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off/on Damage = 34%.

X-Ray (hold), back dash, JIP, B12~Aura, B12~Ice Ball, back dash, JIP(2), B2, B2, 242, 123~Slide
- Aura off Damage = 34%.
- Notes: 17 swaggy hits! Besides the swag, builds more meter than the above and leaves you with Aura on. If you have Aura on already, the freeze of the Parry isn't long enough for you to get rid of it, so you'll have to omit the double B12, which will lower your damage to 33%. So, with Aura on, you may want to do the above instead, depending on your meter vs damage needs.

More to come as we continue to transfer the previously listed combos over to this doc!

7. Closing Thoughts

And that's everything! We hope to expand on the Game Play section, as well as provide some videos, so if you have ideas/tech, or just general suggestions, please let us know! Otherwise, we hope this document helps all Sub players out. Thank you again to all contributors and the Sub community!

Last edited:

n1kosh

Train harder
Given all that is said in this thread, I came to the following conclusions:
- Use meter to EX Slide, Breaker, Ex aura (This is the most useful). Breaker and Ex aura give a real Unbreakable.
- This variation can be used "Rushdown" gameplay
- In the corner, Sub-Zero is still dangerous
- Most combos require quick input. If the network ping is higher 120ms (tested), then most combos not working

P.S. Sorry for my bad English...

Last edited:

Tanno

@Jeffrey Wolf , update this info a bit about the Burst. You wrote this:

Burst = 9%
Burst with Aura = 13%
EN Burst = 8%
EN Burst with Aura = 12%
BOTH EN Burst do have 12%, meaning the same DMG amount.

Also note that if the opponent is parried, the next combo's DMG will be reduced to -2%.

Jeffrey Wolf

@n1kosh, yup, you've got it. Though, don't forget about using meter for EN Burst. It's an insanely good move, especially since it gets extra damage when you have Aura on.

Speaking of damage, @Tanno, the guide has it right: EN Burst only does 8% (which is less than regular Burst. interestingly), but with Aura on it does 12%. I will add the part about Parry though, as you're totally right, it does still scale the combo by 1-2%

I'll also be transferring EN Burst info over to the guide now =)

Last edited:

Toodrunk2combo

Sub and kotal FTW
Forgive me if this is known because it wasn't to me, but UB sub still gets chip damage with aura up from liu kang if liu uses windmill punch. Even if I meter burn aura, and Lou has his damage buff he still does chip damage. Shouldn't this not happen?