What's new

Pre-EVO Gorilla Grodd Matchup Chart

Does Grodd really beat Cyborg? Cyborg is a secret bad mu for a few top tiers including Superman imo and i'm looking for a counterpick lol.
Tbh I dont see why not. Grodds mobility and trait options can by pass cyborgs zoning and his trait. Can mb SC for the armor to get in and punish him , his trait air ground pound can combo into a mid screen leap into b2 loops (if you catch him with it) ,e runs away with grapple chase him down with a leap. I havent played this MU at all TBH once or twice in ranked just shooting ideas off that I would attempt.

scootleberry

Gombaaay...
These are all completely my opinion, I'll happily go into detail as to why I think these numbers are the way they are. A lot of them are subject to change and I also have limited matchup experience on certain characters, the game is still young so take everything with a grain of salt. I am also not the best Grodd player, but I decided to create this chart to promote more matchup discussion in these forums since there is very little atm.

I don't believe Grodd gets zoned out, the threat of leap and MB stampede cancels are enough for him to approach/activate projectile immunity in a lot of matchups. The problem with Grodd is that he relies heavily on a strong neutral game against a cast that excels at this moreso than he does. Stage choice is also a big game changer, it's crucial for him to have a background bounce to take advantage of his incredible d1 and get big resourceless damage where he would otherwise need meter or trait. I'd just like to clear a few things up before the numbers:

-He does not have an overhead/low 50/50, f3 is very easy to react to and this early gimmick is quickly dying out.
-All stampede cancels need to be taken into consideration when discussing MUs as we are assuming these are being played at the highest level.
-Yes he has gaps in his 11*2 and 2*2 strings, but there is counter play to this on a read, it sucks bad but there are some options
-Every character can anti air leap j2, it doesn't need to be mentioned, however the threat of leap is very important a lot of the time.
-These numbers are assuming Grodd is on his home turf of Gorilla City

Aquaman 4-6 (Possibly 3-7)
Atrocitus 3-7
Bane 4-6
Batman 4-6
Black Adam 4-6
Black Canary 6-4
Blue Beetle 5-5
Braniac 5-5
Captain Cold 6-4
Catwoman 4-6
Cheetah 4-6
Cyborg 6-4
Darkseid 5-5
Deadshot 4-6 (Possibly 3-7)
Dr Fate 5-5
Firestorm 5-5
Flash 4-6
Green Arrow 4-6
Green Lantern 4-6
Harley Quinn 4-6
Joker 4-6
Ivy 5-5
Red Hood 4-6
Robin 5-5
Scarecrow 4-6
Supergirl 4-6
Superman 4-6
Swamp Thing 5-5
Wonder Woman 3-7 (Possibly 4-6)

Losing: 18
Even: 8
Winning: 3

Grodd isn't the greatest right now. He hits like a truck and has some really interesting mind games, but ultimately falls short due to having to take big risks for his rewards. He struggles against most of top tier right now which means hes essentially a niche pick as far as tournaments go.

Some potential changes I wouldn't mind seeing:
-His MB throw gear move becoming standard, just to emphasise his solid throw baiting game.
-The gap in 112 being removed or shortened so that only 6 frame moves can interrupt.
-MB stampede not hitting like fairy dust. I mean, this has got to be a bug right?

A lot of people are wanting projectile immunity as a base part of his trait, I agree it could possibly use some changes but I'm not sure if this is currently the way to go.

I'm going to regret making this thread in about an hour but w/e.

I agree with this, he is lacking, however you have a great grodd and that set we played at hawx nest was great fun, you have no problems with your stampede cancels is all. with a few small buffs grodd can be great #makegroddgreat

Buiu

Woot
My opinion is

Urgent normalizations ASAP:

1—Reduce the gaps on his strings... characters like flash just press down and mash d2 for full combo.

2 Make the cancels easier (Some ppl will say to adapt and train, but even dedicated top.player,like the op himself, miss it alot)

3—make the b1,1+3 stop wiffing on HIT

Honest buffs

1—Buff the trait overall(df2 range, make the possibility to use float dd1 after a leap, buff the trait especific strings)
2— buff bf 3mb damage

Serious dream buff

1 make the worst f3 in the game faster by 5 or 4 frame,

Thats it

Enviado de meu ASUS_Z012DC usando Tapatalk

Last edited:

Belial

Noob
-These numbers are assuming Grodd is on his home turf of Gorilla City

Aquaman 4-6 (Possibly 3-7)
Atrocitus 3-7
Bane 4-6
Batman 4-6
Black Adam 4-6
Black Canary 6-4
Blue Beetle 5-5
Braniac 5-5
Captain Cold 6-4
Catwoman 4-6
Cheetah 4-6
Cyborg 6-4
Darkseid 5-5
Deadshot 4-6 (Possibly 3-7)
Dr Fate 5-5
Firestorm 5-5
Flash 4-6
Green Arrow 4-6
Green Lantern 4-6
Harley Quinn 4-6
Joker 4-6
Ivy 5-5
Red Hood 4-6
Robin 5-5
Scarecrow 4-6
Supergirl 4-6
Superman 4-6
Swamp Thing 5-5
Wonder Woman 3-7 (Possibly 4-6)

Losing: 18
Even: 8
Winning: 3
Aquaman is 3-7 or worse. This MU is just fucked up. You cant leap FtD reliably even on predicting it, you cant punish it (you have to ex mb stampede on predict - thats dumb) even if you do manage to get around it and punish there is his trait you cant counter. And the best part about it is that he can choose when to activate it, since your combos restand.
You can punish f2 and b2 on wiff, you cant jump/leap on him, you cant even punish TR reliably etc etc etc. So basically this is about as bad as it gets.

Atrocitus is totally ok on the other hand. Grodd has easy time countering Cat with mb stampede or trait of his own (wheather its MB float or just primal rage), you can outfootsie him due to terrible atrocitus mobility, you can reliably apply leap crossups on him (well , at least sometimes) due to rather bad Anti-air (relatively). you can punish bloodnado very painfully from almost anywhere on screen. I believe this mu is 5-5 or favorable for Grodd.

Batman is broken, but once again Grodd of all people has great answers to bats and also batman has very hard time punishing stampede (safe most of the time), so you can spam it, you can also leap at batman quite well since his AA,while being quite good, doesnt reach behind him, you can leap or primal rage between batarangs making his zoning (and bats) obsolette (which is normally a problem for melee characters in this mu). Finally your d2 is quite good and you can literally poke with it preventing jumps (though you can prevent it via stampede). Finally batman has terrible range of normals allowing you to at least play normally (unlike aquaman there is nothing you have no answer to). So id put it at 4-6 only for reasons of batman being broken overall. In terms of toolset this mu is ok.

Adam is 4-6 just like batman. You have all you need to win, but Adam is broken.

Deadshot is probably 5-5 or advantage for grodd, just because you lose to Foxy doesnt make this mu so bad. In reality Deadshot has no way of stopping Grodd to come in and has terrible defence and bad anti airs once this happens.

Robin is pretty bad MU for grodd as he has so much range you have no solid counterpoke aside of b3(since it kinda leans back between hits) and his smartarangs let him easily contain you. Also due to grodd size he has unblockables on him in the corner (d12-ex divekick if not immediately poked out creates double-crossup that cant be blocked)

Catwoman is very bad for grodd with no solid answer to db3 and great AA from Cat, you literally have to hard-guess your way to victory. Nvm she easily beats 22 with d2 at any point of animation along with other things. Grodd also has some of the worst hitboxes to AA her j2. Possibly 3-7 here

Superman is obnoxious for Grodd as due to his size and backdash every touch from Sups even on midscreen bacially creates a corner-like pressure. As you cant backdash or walk away from f23breath f23breath , leaving no choice but d1 which never nets any proper reward. Needless to say superman neutral and mobliity is better than grodd. The only decent thing in this mu is leap but its not very realible as superman has a lot of freedom to counter it due to his mobility and no way for grodd to really contest his midscreen (i.e its not rare to see sups dash forward reacting to leap and punish your wiff)

I got tired of writing at this point so I'll leave it at that

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I agree with you almost 100%. However I don't understand your MU number against Aquaman. He literally locks you down to the point where leaping and jumping is a guess. Usually that guess goes in his favor. Moving all by itself is a task. He has an answer for everything and can punish absolutely everything. 3-7 seems low. The fucking character barely has to try to win. Especially on a stage with no background bounce.

I say this because Aquaman is my secondary and I understand the MU better than any other in the game. That being said I'm no pro. I just can't see The MU being better than 2-8.

Edit: I also think Bane is 5-5 and I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. Much of it is a guessing game but I'm not sure that makes it 4-6.
Aquaman is 3-7 or worse. This MU is just fucked up. You cant leap FtD reliably even on predicting it, you cant punish it (you have to ex mb stampede on predict - thats dumb) even if you do manage to get around it and punish there is his trait you cant counter. And the best part about it is that he can choose when to activate it, since your combos restand.
You can punish f2 and b2 on wiff, you cant jump/leap on him, you cant even punish TR reliably etc etc etc. So basically this is about as bad as it gets.

Atrocitus is totally ok on the other hand. Grodd has easy time countering Cat with mb stampede or trait of his own (wheather its MB float or just primal rage), you can outfootsie him due to terrible atrocitus mobility, you can reliably apply leap crossups on him (well , at least sometimes) due to rather bad Anti-air (relatively). you can punish bloodnado very painfully from almost anywhere on screen. I believe this mu is 5-5 or favorable for Grodd.

Batman is broken, but once again Grodd of all people has great answers to bats and also batman has very hard time punishing stampede (safe most of the time), so you can spam it, you can also leap at batman quite well since his AA,while being quite good, doesnt reach behind him, you can leap or primal rage between batarangs making his zoning (and bats) obsolette (which is normally a problem for melee characters in this mu). Finally your d2 is quite good and you can literally poke with it preventing jumps (though you can prevent it via stampede). Finally batman has terrible range of normals allowing you to at least play normally (unlike aquaman there is nothing you have no answer to). So id put it at 4-6 only for reasons of batman being broken overall. In terms of toolset this mu is ok.

Adam is 4-6 just like batman. You have all you need to win, but Adam is broken.

Deadshot is probably 5-5 or advantage for grodd, just because you lose to Foxy doesnt make this mu so bad. In reality Deadshot has no way of stopping Grodd to come in and has terrible defence and bad anti airs once this happens.

Robin is pretty bad MU for grodd as he has so much range you have no solid counterpoke aside of b3(since it kinda leans back between hits) and his smartarangs let him easily contain you. Also due to grodd size he has unblockables on him in the corner (d12-ex divekick if not immediately poked out creates double-crossup that cant be blocked)

Catwoman is very bad for grodd with no solid answer to db3 and great AA from Cat, you literally have to hard-guess your way to victory. Nvm she easily beats 22 with d2 at any point of animation along with other things. Grodd also has some of the worst hitboxes to AA her j2. Possibly 3-7 here

Superman is obnoxious for Grodd as due to his size and backdash every touch from Sups even on midscreen bacially creates a corner-like pressure. As you cant backdash or walk away from f23breath f23breath , leaving no choice but d1 which never nets any proper reward. Needless to say superman neutral and mobliity is better than grodd. The only decent thing in this mu is leap but its not very realible as superman has a lot of freedom to counter it due to his mobility and no way for grodd to really contest his midscreen (i.e its not rare to see sups dash forward reacting to leap and punish your wiff)

I got tired of writing at this point so I'll leave it at that
Aquaman - The fact you can MB stampede FTD on prediction means more than you're giving credit IMO. You can whiff punish f2, which is why I think when you play the matchup outside of f2 range it's not as horrific. I get where you are coming from though, there is no doubting it's a rough matchup for Grodd and wont deny it being 3-7.

Atrocitus - I'm gonna need a bit more explaining here, I'm happy to hear you out cause I really want to do well in this matchup. MB stampede vs Dexstarr shot will absorb a hit but ultimately do 9% and trade 5% for a bar of meter. Projectile immunity is nearly impossible to get out if Atrocitus reacts to it or is laying into you, and I'd like to know how float helps against it too. How are you punishing bloodnado too? Cause right now I'm using leap j1 into 11 anywhere past midscreen. Any help you have is appreciated.

Batman - Agreed

BA - Agreed

Deadshot - If a Grodd players fights f0xy and goes toe to toe with him then I'll believe it, until then deadshot's meter build and pushblock makes this matchup bad.

Robin - Didn't know about the unblockable, I'll go to the lab and look at that.

Catwoman - Agree with what you're saying but I'm hesitant to call it a 3-7 just yet.

Superman - Agreed, Grodd's s1 being 10 frames really stands out like a sore thumb in this MU.

Just out of curiosity is their any footage of your Grodd? I would like to see it, esp if you have any against Atro for me to learn from.

Last edited:

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
I agree with the Joker MU. If grodd gets started on Joker, it could favor grodd but as a whole, with proper spacing Joker can keep the Gorilla out unfortunately. It really doesn't help that stampede is parriable either.

Belial

Noob
Aquaman - The fact you can MB stampede FTD on prediction means more than you're giving credit IMO. You can whiff punish f2, which is why I think when you play the matchup outside of f2 range it's not as horrific. I get where you are coming from though, there is no doubting it's a rough matchup for Grodd and wont deny it being 3-7.

Atrocitus - I'm gonna need a bit more explaining here, I'm happy to hear you out cause I really want to do well in this matchup. MB stampede vs Dexstarr shot will absorb a hit but ultimately do 9% and trade 5% for a bar of meter. Projectile immunity is nearly impossible to get out if Atrocitus reacts to it or is laying into you, and I'd like to know how float helps against it too. How are you punishing bloodnado too? Cause right now I'm using leap j1 into 11 anywhere past midscreen. Any help you have is appreciated.

Just out of curiosity is their any footage of your Grodd? I would like to see it, esp if you have any against Atro for me to learn from.
I mained Grodd b/c I really like the character and even made top8 at Path 2 Pro with him (week 2 I think), but I realized its useless so I dropped him since then. Depending on the next patch I'm either dropping Injustice 2 or switching back to Grodd, then I'll be happy to give you plenty of footage and share tech :\ I wont lie that former is more likely as right now I dont see a way of fixing Aqua vs Grodd MU and Im not going to play a game where any idiot can spend 2 hours playing Aqua and rape you in a terrible MU.

Atrocitus MU like I said last time I played Grodd was quite some time ago so I'm writing from memory. some stuff may be off. Anyway you can punish bloodnado by dash + b2 from a HUGE distance. Aside from that I remember that reversal leap can punish it too.
Remember that Atrocitus has obnoxious movement, dash and jumps , so basically the only way to approach is cat+dash in. If he summons the can and you activate trait he has to consider the following : a) float into mb 1 is a poke that reaches far beyond his reach. If he dashes he will be fullcomboed for a long time, that is enough to end dexstarr. It is important to understand that any touch from grodd will very likely time out atrocitus trait. This is especially good if you can fuzzy Atro mixups (mb b3 into endless combo)
b) MB stampede with multiarmor and extended animation too is something to at least consider from atrocitus.
c) df3 while super unsafe (one of my wishes for patch would be making it safe) goes through shield.
d) d1, 22 and 11 and mind control also go past shield sort of though not many situations and not as useful due to balls, but still good to know
e) ex ground pound and aeiral ground pound also go through shield. btw both float 1 or float 2 can be special cancelled into mind control, leap or primal rage immediately hit or block

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Thanks for the MU chart. Somebody tried to tell me you said Aquaman was a 5-5. Now I can tell them to take their bullshit numbers somewhere else.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Thoughts on the Braniac matchup? I did see your set with Ketchup, but I don't have any real experience in the MU and was wondering about more specific stuff. Only thought I had so far was that Brainiac should anti air the hell out of him but from the sounds of what you are talking about Grodd shouldn't be letting him self be that predictable to get anti aired easily.

Skedar70

Noob
I think Grodd can probably beat Atrocitus in the current patch and coming the next patch I am almost certain this is going to become worse for him. His cat pressure is completely nullified by primal rage and we will now be able to activate it faster. Plus more cat going away on pushblock... yeah this is going to be a winning MU

Belial

Noob
Atrocitus is going to be bottom tier in this patch, b/c while NRS were stalling with the patch most people already learned to fuzzy his mixup. Now that he has no meter build and worse cat game across the board there is just no way anyone will be succesful with this character.

TRG

Grodd God
I wouldn't be surprised if Wonder Woman becomes the new "difficult MU" after this latest patch.

Not sure why that MU isn't mentioned more here.

Belial

Noob
I dont remember if I posted it here, but Batman is the only character in the game that completely avoids Gorilla Grodds float vortex by simply dashing forward. There is not much you can do about and it completely stuffs the vortex itself. I dont remember possible options there aside from its not worth going for Vortex in this MU at all.

Also Red Hood can dash forward out of both throw and j2 but you can still hit him with j3 iirc.

All other characters cannot escape Vortex and have to guess.

Skedar70

Noob
I dont remember if I posted it here, but Batman is the only character in the game that completely avoids Gorilla Grodds float vortex by simply dashing forward. There is not much you can do about and it completely stuffs the vortex itself. I dont remember possible options there aside from its not worth going for Vortex in this MU at all.

Also Red Hood can dash forward out of both throw and j2 but you can still hit him with j3 iirc.

All other characters cannot escape Vortex and have to guess.
Because Batman is a special SOAB in this game like no other character.