What's new

Match-up Discussion Pre-Evo 2014 Aquaman MU Chart

F4tal

Noob
I will respectfully disagree with the Hawkgirl Aquaman MU being 6-4 in Aquaman's favor. I think it's 5-5.

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
I still don't think Doomsday loses that match up. You just know how to fight Doomsday really well because you play the top Doomsdays on such a consistent basis.

Though I don't really see a situation that's advantageous to Doomsday besides after a knockdown. You can really only play footsies with Aquaman if he's the one moving forward, but that generally isn't the case. Everything else is a read that doesn't really end in your favor. So I can see where the 6-4 comes from. If you get Aquaman in the corner he's pretty fucked though. I don't know man. It could go either way I guess. This post is completely pointless but I'm going to post it anyway.

Doomsday loses? It felt evenish to me, though its been awhile since the last timed I played this MU. Iirc it was TFC lol. I gotta play this MU again. Hopefully I get to play you at KIT and not have it be like NEC.....
I for the longest time thought Doomsday loses this MU. However, lately, with Aquaman never being able to wake up I am starting to lean that it could be DD advantage.

SonicBoomBrad

I for the longest time thought Doomsday loses this MU. However, lately, with Aquaman never being able to wake up I am starting to lean that it could be DD advantage.
I don't see how it would be DD advantage. He can full combo punish ES with trait, trident rush basically runs the entire duration of trait on block or hit, and the damage difference in almost every situation is pretty nuts. Not to mention Aquaman is one of the only characters that can consistently anti air splash, and is one of the few characters in the game that can actually play footsies with Doomsday. I still don't think he loses it though.

Glass Sword

Nobody
People really don't seem to comprehend the words "can't get up" and the magnitude they bring to the match. I mean even if it does not completely flip the match it almost like saying.
"Pfft who is ever going to get a knock down on THAT character. I mean he is Aquaman."
This goes for every character with meaningful 50-50s. He may have very good spacing tools and trait is wonderful, but 12 seconds is a long time when you could die however. I'm not saying it will alter every match-up, but it WILL alter some negatively. So just don't go pfft at the term "can't get up" that is like saying it does not matter Cyax gets 90% off a punished dash in the Reptile matchup.

cR_whiteboi

Jobbers are mouthpieces for gods.
People really don't seem to comprehend the words "can't get up" and the magnitude they bring to the match. I mean even if it does not completely flip the match it almost like saying.
"Pfft who is ever going to get a knock down on THAT character. I mean he is Aquaman."
This goes for every character with meaningful 50-50s. He may have very good spacing tools and trait is wonderful, but 12 seconds is a long time when you could die however. I'm not saying it will alter every match-up, but it WILL alter some negatively. So just don't go pfft at the term "can't get up" that is like saying it does not matter Cyax gets 90% off a punished dash in the Reptile matchup.
I love you dream sword

SonicBoomBrad

Again it felt even to me, but I can see why aquaman tools could win this mu. I'm gonna try to play this mu more at kit. Also SonicBoomBrad and GGA Jeremiah, you both know in trait doomy can punish rush, right?
He can punish it without trait if Aquaman dashes all the way in on either version.

A free combo breaker ever 12 seconds on a character with footsies this good is absurd. You shouldn't be getting opened up more than once every 12 seconds anyway if you have spacing tools like aquaman. Let's not downplay his trait please.

I say this while learning him as a counter too.

Last edited:

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Exactly. This game is too loaded with powerful 50/50s and offensive options to simply not be able to get back up with respect. It is a very big deal to be able to have a reliable wakeup since a knockdown with some characters can just turn into fuckery in a matter of less than 12 seconds.

SonicBoomBrad you have to remember there are a number of characters who can land a 50/50 and knock you down, only to be right on top of you again with a number of options that you are likely guessing to escape.

SonicBoomBrad

SonicBoomBrad you have to remember there are a number of characters who can land a 50/50 and knock you down, only to be right on top of you again with a number of options that you are likely guessing to escape.
Wait so you're telling me, you get knocked down for guessing wrong, and then you have to block? Weird. That's not like any other fighting game I've ever played before.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Wait so you're telling me, you get knocked down for guessing wrong, and then you have to block? Weird. That's not like any other fighting game I've ever played before.
No duh, but this game is loaded with characters who have high/low games that not only are unseeable with some characters, but can lead back to the same scenario, and are often safe on block (some characters get + frames on block for some options). It's not just a matter of block, because sometimes that's easier said than done.

Kiko

Face it, you're done.
You mean safe meterless shield bashes, because you can parry afterwards?
Also, to which mixup do you refer in ss? B2,3/b2,1?

I think he means the fact that you can option select to MB if you see a reaction or parry afterwards. After teaching an Aquaman to respect it, that's when you get to have fun with it.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
Well, alot of the cast's WU options aren't as bad as Aquaman's. Idk about the b2 torpedo thing since I don't really use it, but I think it just barely gets by. I seriously doubt FTD can punish the WU teleport unless you're talking about when he's reappearing. Shazam doesn't even need to exclusively use WU tele, he has WU CMd grab and to a much lesser extent WU torpedo plus FTD isn't even safe and is punishable from halfscreen. As for the trident rush WU option, I don't really see what you're trying to say since crossup>trident rush or any other one of his WU. Oh and I forgot to mention in my original post that Aquaman's trait is kinda pointless in this matchup outside of beating f22

I'm not a Shazam upplayer, I'm just the original Shazam player trying to keep it real. I have no problem in admitting where Shazam sucks huge cawk, like the vanilla BA vs shazam MU, a solid 8-2 and I will say that any BA player who had ever lost to a shazam player back then should've just quit the game.

EDIT: Yes on my phone again.
talk like a normal human being and then people will take you seriously