What's new

PowerUp 2011 - Cincinnati, OH - April 29 - May 1 (very first MK9 tourney; UMK3 too!)

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Sorry I had to leave early, but it was a good time playing against some of you.

Special thanks to Nick The Zombie for being cool, and Michaelangelo for not getting bored of near flawless (and actual flawlessing) me match after match, I feel like that asskicking leveled up my Stryker a lot.

Sorry I had to leave early, but it was a good time playing against some of you.

Special thanks to Nick The Zombie for being cool, and Michaelangelo for not getting bored of near flawless (and actual flawlessing) me match after match, I feel like that asskicking leveled up my Stryker a lot.
And likewise man, it was good talking with you.

motosada

Noob
PowerUp was awesome. I had great seats for the finals, and there was electricity everywhere, and the streamed matches were standing room only.

I'm a new guy here, but some of you may remember me as that ruggedly handsome guy on commentary before getting kicked off by Tim Static, the jerk. My brilliant career as a color commentator, over before it began. :(

Which is a real shame, cuz 5 of the top 8 spent the night in my hotel room down here, playing the game till 6 in the morning last night, learning new stuff and experimenting like crazy. Reo's RoboFrio and Bone's Ermac, for example, were products of their play last night, so I really could've contributed to the commentary. Ah, well. There's always 5v5 team play. :)

Zebster

How's my volume?
So since we apparently aren't going to see the mystery game tournament finals, what was/were it/they?

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Tom Brady
Perfect Legend
Reo
Thtb
Krayzie Bone
Riu48
Justin Wong
Floe

Top 8

Mad fun. When I get home ill give some shoutouts!

REYTHEGREAT

Mortal Kombat 2011 — Results

1. EMP|Tom Brady (Sub-Zero, Johnny Cage, Noob Saibot)
2. EMP|PerfectLegend (Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Shang Tsung)
3. REO (Cyber Sub-Zero, Kabal)
4. THTB (Reptile)
5. TYM|Krazie Bone (Ermac, Noob Saibot, Kitana, Smoke)
5. RIU48 (Johnny Cage)
7. fLoE (Ermac)
7. TS|Arturo Sanchez (Reptile)

Top 8 Battle Log

• EMP|Tom Brady (Johnny Cage, Noob Saibot) eliminated EMP|PerfectLegend (Liu Kang, Shang Tsung) 3-2.

• EMP|Tom Brady (Johnny Cage) beat EMP|PerfectLegend (Kung Lao) 3-2.

• EMP|Tom Brady (Sub-Zero) eliminated REO (Cyber Sub-Zero) 3-1.

• EMP|PerfectLegend (Kung Lao) beat EMP|Tom Brady (Sub-Zero) 3-0.

• REO (Cyber Sub-Zero) eliminated THTB (Reptile) 2-0.

• REO (Cyber Sub-Zero) eliminated TYM|Krazie Bone (Ermac, Noob Saibot) 2-0.

• THTB (Reptile) eliminated RIU48 (Johnny Cage) 2-0.

• REO (Cyber Sub-Zero) eliminated fLoE (Ermac) 2-1.

• RIU48 (Johnny Cage) eliminated TS|Arturo Sanchez (Reptile) 2-1.

• EMP|PerfectLegend (Kung Lao) beat TYM|Krazie Bone (Ermac) 2-0.

• EMP|Tom Brady (Sub-Zero) beat THTB (Reptile) 2-1.

motosada

Noob
A disguise for a crappy game tournament. haha

The first round had games like D-Xhird, Sailor Moon Super S, Simon (one of those TV games), and some awful fighting game for, I think, the PSone that mixed digitized actors in awful costumes with poorly drawn animated sprites. It was terrible.

Second round had Ninku or somesuch, a Saturn fighting game that ran at about 4 frames per second; Splatter Sport; a bad Taiwanese bootleg of Street Fighter 2; SoulCalibur 4; Magic Beast Warriors; eh... It just got worse from there.

Honestly, I'm very disappointed in the mystery tournament. When they did it last year, they just did surprise games that people wouldn't have thought to ever see at a tournament, mostly because of age or having been replaced by newer versions (Saturday Night Slammasters 2 or Smash Bros. Melee, for example). This time, it was just predominantly games that were so bad, they were unplayable. Plus, there was no element of surprise; the games were all set-up from when they started the MGT, leaving people plenty of opportunity to subject themselves to the awfulness.

This tournament, and the game itself really made a believer out of me. I think I found my second game. I'm getting that shit ASAP.

You guys better be ready, because shogun is back. ;P

I really enjoyed meeting you guys. All of you are really relaxed, and chill people. Sorry if my antics got on someones nerves x], Like slapping THTB with a pickle, or flicking straw papers at people. It was really fun, and im glad I got the opportunity to meet some people i've talked to for years. Next time, im playing the game definitely. Fuck marvel, and fuck tekken. Ima still stay in Street fighter, but im definitely playing mk as well.

^ Yeah was good to meet you Shogun.

To anyone I met for the first time, got to actually hang with, or even people who I probably crossed paths with but didn't speak to, it was a good time.

Will hopefully get to do it again soon, and I'm glad to see so many from TYM coming out.

I'm in recovery mode today during work, but I'll post shoutouts tomorrow and we've got plenty of video content in interviews, casual matches, off-stream tourney matches as well as crowd and hype footage to put up on the site in the coming days.

So keep an eye out on the front page.

Tim Static

Adminerator
A disguise for a crappy game tournament. haha

The first round had games like D-Xhird, Sailor Moon Super S, Simon (one of those TV games), and some awful fighting game for, I think, the PSone that mixed digitized actors in awful costumes with poorly drawn animated sprites. It was terrible.

Second round had Ninku or somesuch, a Saturn fighting game that ran at about 4 frames per second; Splatter Sport; a bad Taiwanese bootleg of Street Fighter 2; SoulCalibur 4; Magic Beast Warriors; eh... It just got worse from there.

Honestly, I'm very disappointed in the mystery tournament. When they did it last year, they just did surprise games that people wouldn't have thought to ever see at a tournament, mostly because of age or having been replaced by newer versions (Saturday Night Slammasters 2 or Smash Bros. Melee, for example). This time, it was just predominantly games that were so bad, they were unplayable. Plus, there was no element of surprise; the games were all set-up from when they started the MGT, leaving people plenty of opportunity to subject themselves to the awfulness.
Some of the games were bad, yes, but so were last years. (Smash Bros? crap.) There wasnt a need for surprised because you didnt know what you were gonna play in the first couple rounds, but it was awesome that PR_Balrog played Justin Wong in fuckin BATTLESHIP in the Mystery Game finals. A mystery game tourney could have been anything, but yea some were bad, but it was still one of the best parts of PU2011 imo.

Speaking of which, best of PU2011: MK9, UMK3 and of course, the Wind Jammers tourney and MMs. GODLIKE.

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
. . .best of PU2011: MK9, UMK3 and of course, the Wind Jammers tourney and MMs. GODLIKE.
QFT. MK9 had everyone's attention and was pretty much the only game where I actually wanted to watch Top 8. GS to Tim, Lucky Day, Webster, and anyone I'm missing for running MK9 brackets, and thanks to all the players who traveled from close by or from very far away; it was great to have all of you at the event!

If you'd like, check out the main results thread on SRK.

motosada

Noob
Has PowerUp ruined the game for anyone else? I, uh... I can't even play anymore because of how lame and annoying the CPU is. I need human competition!