What's new

PowerUp 2011 - Cincinnati, OH - April 29 - May 1 (very first MK9 tourney; UMK3 too!)

I'm leavin for Ohio tomorrow morning. Woot woot....it has begun.

If anyone needs to contact me...PM me and I'll hit you wit some digits.

The MK9 Tournament Edition Arcade stick (for 1st place in Mk9 singles 1v1) that I donated, has already been shipped and will be at Power Up ready to go.

WE IN THERE!!!

Noob
Osirun, it is imperative that you talk to Tom Brady about the Parry Glitch in MK9 and it is just as imperative that it be banned for the tournament.

Please view the thread here:

http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?4451-Game-Breaking-Parry-Glitch!

Tom Brady said:
the cage thing must be banned. you can xray then sit in crouch block forever and win. that must be banned.

9.95 said:
Absolutely... actually, it should be banned on any character with a parry move.

Kang, Cage, Smoke, Cy.Sub...

easy to see too... if the person does a parry and immediately crouch blocks, and another parry comes out... you lose the round. Simple...

*edit* just got off the phone with Bill.

We've got a solution for this as far as an emergency rule set. NRS is aware, but because we are three days out, we need to take action for PowerUp. And the PSN issue would make matters worse even if a fix was released.

I will update this post with info when Bill does a write up and follows up.

MarkMan

SDTEKKEN.COM
I'll see you guys there. I'm coming in Friday afternoon. I'm hoping to enter MK9 as well!

Anyone interested in buying sticks/combat panels? I want to know if I need to bring anything. Peace! <3

Dark_Rob

Noob
PARRY GLITCH BANNED!!

Tom at 5:16 you said something very important. If people want to crouch block after a parry I suggest making it mandatory that must let your stick(dpad) go into neutral for a quick second. This would help in dealing with the sketchyness of the corner situation. But overall I agree 100% this is the way to ban it.

Ok guys, the way we will enforce this along the lines of what Bill said.

We may not see you go to neutral every time of course, and obviously there is benefit for going into a crouch block at some points after Parry.

I want to revise this very slightly, but want to get feedback.

Rule:

- If you go get hit during parry and go into crouch block and draw a glitch parry, you forfeit the match.

- If a TO or org sees you get hit during parry and sees you crouch block immediately after and wait for a prolonged time (exactly how Bill showed in his example) you will be warned with the second warning being a DQ.

Obviously, nobody is even going to go this far unless they are trying to use the glitch, but we want to make absolutely sure they are trying to glitch and they have no way to argue the reason for DQ.

We will give slight leeway in the corner example given by Bill, but if we see is happen once we will be watching you and like he said repeat offenses will be an obvious infraction.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you wanna test fate, go for it. If a tourney org or bracket runner sees that second parry hit without the startup animation you are gone.

The reason I want to make it this way is because there is no gray area.

We can say that you are trying to use the glitch by just going to crouch block but someone will inevitably try to say they weren't going to do it.

I want it to be 100% clear cut black and white.

Is this agreeable to everyone?

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
I want to thank all of you for moving so fast on this. It's very much appreciated.

I like Lucky Day's two additional rules for MK9 in regards to the parry glitch. I have tweaked them a bit in terms of wording, but not really in content.

*If you get hit during a parry and go into crouch block and draw a glitch parry, you forfeit the match.

*If a bracket runner sees you get hit during a parry and sees you crouch block immediately after, holding that position for 2 or more seconds, you will be warned. A second instance of this will result in you forfeiting the match.

I'm open to further tweaks before finalizing these additions to the MK9 rules at PU2011.

Sabin

Elder God
Yeah, we're in there all weekend. Hit us up when were streamign MK9. I def wanna pick yoru brains about mk9 tech on the stream and i think it would be informative for the community as well

Yeah, we definitely need to get Tom Brady on stream at some point, probably in between games or while stuff is being set up to sort of go over some stuff and talk with you guys about the game.

This is going to be the first stream where between the Spooky team and the TYM staff there will actually be people takling who really know the game on a deeper level.

Where you stayin, Webz?
I'm staying with Osirun, in Miamisburg. We'll be at tourney grounds tonight after 6pm, and all day Friday. Come kick it wit meeeeeeeeeeeee. ^_^

I want to see people get bodied; make it happen.
TOO LATE!!! The mortons was spread yesterday at Arcade Legacy. I was the victim...

No controllers were safe lololol

Lets Go! Power up! Get hype.
Yo azz iz LOUD!!! <3

Please go easy on me. I just want to practice with you guys. ^_^
You're getting the most difficult bracket imaginable! :p

We have to welcome you to MK with the utmost respect sir. ^_^

I posted this on SRK too but I am accepting money matches no less than $20.
hmmmm...thinking about what I can buy to eat with your $20. :p

I'll see you guys there. I'm coming in Friday afternoon. I'm hoping to enter MK9 as well!

Anyone interested in buying sticks/combat panels? I want to know if I need to bring anything. Peace! <3
OMFG OMFG OMFG!!! Dat MarkyManz up in yo tourney Nathan. HYPE HYPE HYPE!!!

Guys I'm all for the Parry Glitch being banned. But couldn't opponents just press neutral block after they parry to cancel out the glitch? Cuz that'd be the simplest way to "tell" is it's been canceled or not. No? Keeps the player in check and gives us a visual to know it's been canceled.

But couldn't opponents just press neutral block after they parry to cancel out the glitch? Cuz that'd be the simplest way to "tell" is it's been canceled or not. No? Keeps the player in check and gives us a visual to know it's been canceled.
When someone lands a parry, they should be following with a punish. It's easy to see when they aren't.

We can enforce the ban, but we can't tell people exactly how to play which is why we can't make people return to neutral as a requirement.

Luxus Nights

Beyond Good & Evil
Wow I thought power up would end up banning the characters who have access to the parry glitch rather then enforce a rule over them, the 1st seems much more reasonable and may accompany less drama and controversy then the later. In any case this will make for a epic tournament.

The thing is, against a smart player not a lot of these glitches can really be used to great effect or be abuseable to the point of being unfair.

The only ones that are really "game breaking" in terms of how they are used are the Cage X-Ray and the LK and Storm EX parries, because they are essentially stealing meter for free, which we can't allow.

I don't expect anyone to even use the glitch parry honestly. Against someone who knows about it, it's not going to sway a match much, it's just the principle that we can't allow someone to be able to do an X-Ray over and over without having meter to do it.