What's new

PowerUp 2011 - Cincinnati, OH - April 29 - May 1 (very first MK9 tourney; UMK3 too!)

Let's go people! MK9 is right with SSFIV as the second most reg'd game on the list, let's at least get it into 2nd place for sure.

Riu, I see your name on the venue list, but not on the MK9 list, is that a mistake or are you paying for the game when you get there?

DanCock

Cock Master!!
hell yea one week away!!

will I be allowed to stand and play on my sticks? I can't sit and play. the guys at nec and WB let me stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Damn, how much will it be to register at the event?

I'm so broke, I don't think I can pre-reg yet...

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
hell yea one week away!!

will I be allowed to stand and play on my sticks? I can't sit and play. the guys at nec and WB let me stand.
That's fine by me, as long as we can find you a table or something XD

Damn, how much will it be to register at the event?
Lucky Day is correct, if you come in-person and sign up only for MK9, it'll be $40. $30 Venue Pass, $10 entry fee.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
are online registrations still open? I guess I could register bone for then venue so it's just 20 then bone you can pay me back.

also thanks for the table thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
PU2011 Pre-Reg has officially ended. I want to say thanks to the 126 individual players, and 7 spectators, who took the time to pre-register for the event!

Currently, the games in danger of being canceled due to low entry are: GGAC 3v3, TvC, MBAA.

All other games with less than 8 entries could potentially be played in a round robin format: UMK3, MvC2, 3S 2v2, KOF98, KOF2k2:UM.

But remember, you can still show up in-person and register for games! Registration cutoff for each game ends 30 minutes before that game is scheduled to begin.

Lastly, we still need PS3s donated for use at the event. This is especially true if players would like to have SSFIV 3v3 run alongside MvC3 3v3. Currently, we need 8 additional PS3s donated for smooth sailing. Remember that by donating your PS3 for the event you receive $5 off (or refunded) on your Venue Pass, and you get entered into the Donor Raffle, held on Saturday, April 30th.

Man I am soooo fucking hype for this tourney you have no idea. I'm bring some noise...don't sleep on me. ;)

Lucky: I'm still working out Team Wild Card participants. I have 3 definites (including myself), and hit a couple people up for for the final 2 on my team.

Was thinking about doing 2 small single elimination tournaments before the team tourney, if for some reason I didn't get those two slots filled in time. So people could have a chance to play...if they didn't know about it. We'll see.

Regardless, this tourney is gonna be absolutely fantastic for MK. And I am very happy for us all. MK can really pull in the interest with a strong showing and quality play.

IT HAS BEGUN!!!! :evilgrin1:

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
@Tim in particular / everyone: I received a pm on SRK asking me about MK9 rules at PU2011. I need help replying, and I figured you guys would know best what rules should be in effect.

SRK PM said:
1. Will we be using Tournament Mode always for every match?(Disable foreground distractions, disable first hit bonus) (Kombat Kode 111/111)

2. If Tournament Mode is not selected then will the street stage be banned? (Every so often a car will pass by in the foreground obstructing view of the players)

3. What if someone wants to use Human Cyrax/Sektor but they aren't unlocked yet? (There are in fact differences between cyborg and human forms.)
Now I know the answer to Question 3. We will have setups with Human Cyrax and Human Sektor available. So if someone wants to play as one of them, that's no problem.

Questions 1 & 2 I honestly have no idea on. I didn't even know about any Tournament Mode to be honest XD

So yeah, help me out fellas!

In MK tourney play no kodes are enforced.

If two players decide to use a kode together (all of the kodes affecting gameplay need both players to input them), that is up to them in the match.

For example, at Season's Beating's last year, Moe and Throwerr used randper kombat every match until the semis.

The automatic bar of meter is the default way the game is played, we'll be keeping it.

As for the stages, we will get together and talk about that I'm sure. I know there are stages that will need to be banned for color blind players (the pit stage with the blood spraying) and possibly alt costumes if they are hard to see for those players.

I've heard the street stage come up quite a few times, so it's a possibility also.

If I'm wrong on anything of this, people will correct me, but I believe this is how it's going to be run.

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
So I should post up rules such as this:

*No kodes enforced (first hit bonus maintained)
*Players may agree to use a kode
*Stage X is banned

I think it's safe to say no Kodes will be enforced.

For the stages let's hold off for now.

I want to get input from everyone first and see what the consensus is on that, and get feedback from people who have trouble with it.

We should be able to finalize in a day or two.

I left Tim a voice message about the matter. That SAME person that PM'ed Osirun ALSO called me about the matter.Then on my live stream today we tested some issues we found with the game.

My channel is here: www.ustream.tv/channel/digimondro (I'll be streaming again tonight)

Some things to note:

- Kratos stage. Stage shakes mid match thus disrupting natural flow of the match. Complicates juggles/combos.

This "shaking" can't be turned off at all. Even if you add in the kombat code. No other stage in the game has this issue and it can be frustrating for players in the heat of their match. It'd be unfortunate if you drop a game winning combo due to "shaking"...and lose.

- Stage props. Foreground props making it difficult to see projectiles on ground or oki conditioning.

Characters like Quan Chi, Kung Lao, Cyrax, and Jax (etc.) have projectiles/moves that hit/launch on the ground. If the foreground stage props get in the way, that disrupts the match. Characters who zone, playing keep away, with these low hitting attacks gain an even greater advantage on certain stages because of things not being viewable at all times during the match. This can be fixed by adding the tournament kode 1/1/1/_1/1/1 before the match begins in vs. mode.

This can get annoying, doing that every match of the tournament. But it doesn't slow down the pace of the tournament whatsoever.

* Hell stage. This stage may NOT be ideal for folks with color vision issues. Banning stages like this have been practiced in fighting games like SSF4 (volcano stages), TvC (burning ruins), and SSBB (Norfair). All, that have had successful tournament success.

Hopefully with this explained information, we can come to an agreement on tournament rules to make the FIRST MK9 tournament in the Midwest a success. And provide a staple for other tournaments held around the country.

^_^

We can't change versions. Webster, please take out the training mode info out of your post above so we can stick to the stages matter here in the power up thread.

Go ahead and make another thread on that so we can discuss it there.

*Edit*As for the stages, I would say for now, no Kratos, no street.

If a player declares before the match they are color blind or have problems with a set stage, we use something like the courtyard as a neutral stage.

We can revisit all of this later, but the game has plenty of other stages to use for now.

This sound agreeable to everyone?

Noob
Lucky, I think you're right... the stage really doesn't matter.... daytime couryard would be best if a player is colorblind... good idea.

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
I got everyone's Facebook messages about MK9's rules. Thanks much!

*Kratos is banned
*Kratos' stage and Street stage are banned
*Default stage for the colorblind is Courtyard

JagoMIH

Noob
hey i'd still like to go....i'd like to take a plane if possible....i'm not feeling taking a bus...it'd take like 20 hours and i might fall asleep or something and get screwed...would anyone be willing to pick me up from airport? lemme know somethin. i still havent bought plane tickets or w/e

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Wait so Pre-Reg is still $30? and $40 in person?

hey i'd still like to go....i'd like to take a plane if possible....i'm not feeling taking a bus...it'd take like 20 hours and i might fall asleep or something and get screwed...would anyone be willing to pick me up from airport? lemme know somethin. i still havent bought plane tickets or w/e
I hope you can still make it man.