What's new

Match-up Discussion Post-patch Match up List and Discussion

Ares lacks good anti-airs and GL's j3 is just godlike in this matchup so abuse it when you can. He also lacks a good wakeup game, most of his wakeups don't have much invincibility at all, and GL has really good pressure once he knocks you down with ending his combos in that splat so once you're in stay in. Chances are the Ares player will just try and zone in this matchup because GL has a much better chance at winning when he's in close.

This is obviously from an Ares player perspective but I think GL does just fine in this matchup and can actually give Ares a hard time with all the tools he has up close.

Awesome! Thank you so much! I'm surprised Ares isn't considered to have a good up-close game considering his mixups and safety. I'll definitely use what you shared.

Mosp

Noob
Awesome! Thank you so much! I'm surprised Ares isn't considered to have a good up-close game considering his mixups and safety. I'll definitely use what you shared.
His up close game is decent. Most of his mixups come into play when he knocks you down because he has a lot of options at that point that are mostly safe. You have to remember that most of the startups on his strings are pretty slow and that they can get beat out pretty easily. In the footsie game most Ares players will use b13 because it's one of his only strings that advances him forward and on hit will push you back to full screen where he can start building meter and zoning so just watch out for that.

Tortonon

YOLO is power
Agree on the 3-7 against Cyborg. As time is passing, it's getting harder and harder to think on a way to overcome it :/

And Mosp is right about Ares... since his trait projectiles are amazing, this is one of the few matchups where I tend to go ham and rush the other guy down whenever I can. If you let him start teleport-invisibility-trait stuff, you'll have a lot more trouble to deal with then if you keep it a close-quarters brawl.

Agree on the 3-7 against Cyborg. As time is passing, it's getting harder and harder to think on a way to overcome it :/

And Mosp is right about Ares... since his trait projectiles are amazing, this is one of the few matchups where I tend to go ham and rush the other guy down whenever I can. If you let him start teleport-invisibility-trait stuff, you'll have a lot more trouble to deal with then if you keep it a close-quarters brawl.

Thank you! I think that's where my mistake has been coming from. I've recently been playing a more punish based game and I end up letting Ares build an offense that just shouldn't happen.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
copied from that other thread:

Sinestro is all smoke and mirrors and can only give you problems if you are actively trying to advance on him or are trying to throw things back at him.

Just inch forward while waiting for him to do something, block it, and you get a free dash forward and then some.

Once you're at Lift range, he has literally not one safe option. It's kind of funny actually. All zoning tools (fireball, meteor, shackles) can all be punished by lift on block. Jumps get lifted on reaction and his quick advancing mid-hitting string is -9 on block, allowing for a d1 xx lift punish.
f2d1 would like a word w u

Tortonon

YOLO is power
I'd love to get bodied by you, Pig, but I'm from Brazil, pretty sure the connection would be awful :(

just out of curiosity, where are you all from?

DYNA$TY

Edenia lives!
I'd love to get bodied by you, Pig, but I'm from Brazil, pretty sure the connection would be awful :(

just out of curiosity, where are you all from?
I'm from New Jersey but I'm stationed in North Dakota. Currently deployed in southwest asia, but it'd be cool to get some games in when I get back to the US. Prob be back before during fall.

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
After playing a good Harley Quinn for several matches, I'm thinking the match up is in her favor. She can fight Lantern full screen and unlike Deathstroke, can dash cancel after guns to make them safe. The only thing I could really do was trade with OR. When I finally got in on her, I was able to rush her down and kill but then when the second bar comes around, they wager and get the game back to fullscreen. I didn't try using the turbine to get in though, it actually didn't dawn on me til now lol but Harleys keep away is frustratingly good. Any tips would be much appreciated

After playing a good Harley Quinn for several matches, I'm thinking the match up is in her favor. She can fight Lantern full screen and unlike Deathstroke, can dash cancel after guns to make them safe. The only thing I could really do was trade with OR. When I finally got in on her, I was able to rush her down and kill but then when the second bar comes around, they wager and get the game back to fullscreen. I didn't try using the turbine to get in though, it actually didn't dawn on me til now lol but Harleys keep away is frustratingly good. Any tips would be much appreciated
I feel its GLs favor. Her zoning is ok (I feel Joker's is better) but once you're in you're pretty much in until the end.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk 2

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
I feel its GLs favor. Her zoning is ok (I feel Joker's is better) but once you're in you're pretty much in until the end.

What's the best way to approach her then? She'll get a fullscreen free least once cause of the clash system. I think it's also harder on me cause I only play online, harder to time when to dash in after projectiles.

What's the best way to approach her then? She'll get a fullscreen free least once cause of the clash system. I think it's also harder on me cause I only play online, harder to time when to dash in after projectiles.
Don't dash. Walk block.

If they are spamming the gun wait in between shots and do an ATS to get in.

And there are ways to win without letting them get a clash.

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
Don't dash. Walk block.

If they are spamming the gun wait in between shots and do an ATS to get in.

And there are ways to win without letting them get a clash.

Okay got it, so what do you think are GL's worst MUs so far? I read Cyborg was, but I've never even seen one online lol

Tortonon

YOLO is power
Cyborg is the nightmare one. Other bad ones are Sinestro and possibly KF. There might be some others. Doomsday during his 'fˆ$# it all' trait is also very annoying ;/

Cyborg is the nightmare one. Other bad ones are Sinestro and possibly KF. There might be some others. Doomsday during his 'fˆ$# it all' trait is also very annoying ;/
Sinestro is kinda under review. Need to get with Pig and try some stuff.

Or very hard AI and PM recordings of Sinestro zoning.

Tortonon

YOLO is power
yeah, I know. Looking forward to hearing your opinions after playing Pig :)

I'm particularly curious about the Aquaman matchup. I feel that some stuff Lantern does can body him, and in the other hand I feel that he is really solid and could make things rough for Hal. I have no idea in terms of how that matchup goes in terms of numbers...

I loved the set between KT and Tom on the Project Injustice tournament last saturday. Really close, really entertaining.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Problems I am having:

Doomsday. Once Doomsday has meter and trait up, I feel like a human punching bag. Cannot seem to find any answers to his pressure besides pushblock (which doesn't work when he has his trait on). I just simply cannot keep him out for any substantial length of time. When he has me in the corner, I feel like I may as well put my pad down.

Sinestro: Even practising for hours against very hard ai, I just cannot find any kind of repeatable answer to Sinestro's zoning. Using our air projectile is pointless because the trade is always in his favour if he uses meteor and even if he doesn't, you're back to fullscreen from the pushback of your own projectile. I feel Sinestro has ample time to sit back and keep you in check while he stacks his trait, and once he gets it, the matchup becomes very difficult so long as he has his trait to close gaps after blockstrings.

Batman: Fked if I know how to beat Batman. Calls in his bats, can do unsafe stuff to you. His dash is incredible at going underneath air fireballs. Once he gets a knockdown, I find it incredibly hard to deal with the ambiguous crossover and with his high/low mixups. Feel like you NEED an Aquaman trait to successfully defend against it.

MB f3 and pushblock is all I've really been able to find to help me against the ambiguous cross up stuff and getting out of pressure. The good news is if f3 connects, we get a combo. Isn't that awesome.

Problems I am having:

Doomsday. Once Doomsday has meter and trait up, I feel like a human punching bag. Cannot seem to find any answers to his pressure besides pushblock (which doesn't work when he has his trait on). I just simply cannot keep him out for any substantial length of time. When he has me in the corner, I feel like I may as well put my pad down.

Sinestro: Even practising for hours against very hard ai, I just cannot find any kind of repeatable answer to Sinestro's zoning. Using our air projectile is pointless because the trade is always in his favour if he uses meteor and even if he doesn't, you're back to fullscreen from the pushback of your own projectile. I feel Sinestro has ample time to sit back and keep you in check while he stacks his trait, and once he gets it, the matchup becomes very difficult so long as he has his trait to close gaps after blockstrings.

Batman: Fked if I know how to beat Batman. Calls in his bats, can do unsafe stuff to you. His dash is incredible at going underneath air fireballs. Once he gets a knockdown, I find it incredibly hard to deal with the ambiguous crossover and with his high/low mixups. Feel like you NEED an Aquaman trait to successfully defend against it.

MB f3 and pushblock is all I've really been able to find to help me against the ambiguous cross up stuff and getting out of pressure. The good news is if f3 connects, we get a combo. Isn't that awesome.
There are ways to deal with Doomsday. The only really that GL can't deal with is Doomsday's Trait with SN MB. (Supernova) Even still he only has to time to do that once before his trait runs out. From there pushblocking or B3 MB will get him away, or if blocked leaves you at advantage.

If he activates his Trait and starts coming in to pressure, use MG MB to hold him back and cause damage until his trait runs out.

If he throws out a SN MB you can either dash and full combo punish, or an easier option, a delayed B3 MB for a full B3 combo punish. You will of course take damage with this option but it's only 9% vs your full combo punish damage. This will certainly make the Doomsday player not rely on SN MB.

As far as Sinestro, it's up in the air at the moment. Myself and Pig Of The Hut believe it's 6-4 in favor of Sinestro, but KT Smith suggests 5-5. I will be looking into this MU in depth very soon.

With Batman, it's very difficult for GL. Especially if the Batman player is aware and punishes the string gaps in GL's B1 strings leaving the GL player to pretty much rely on 223. Best thing you can do in this MU I've found so far is keeping Batman just within LM range by using pushblocking, throws, and limited OR and AOR zoning. It's winnable for GL but probably not in his advantage.