What's new

Match-up Discussion Post-patch Match up List and Discussion

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Joker GL 3 7 in greens favour. it would be nice if it was just like the post denzell made, any one knockdown, it has to be a very specific knockdown or at least a combo starter into a combo cut short to go into an ambiguous crossup.

once joker gets gl in the corner though 90% of characters aint getting out. ever. that will rarely happen and this is why the MU is only 7 3

only lol

Challenge accepted then, will begin learning mmh in free time to prove it wrong and may fail and agree with you. But first I would like to state that I said it can be 6/4 long run, but I don't feel people put enough time in trying to learn the opposing character. I will respect your opinion since you actually challenged the idea of trying to learn the problematic character at hand, and will use the information you gave as a head start. But please don't get me started on the raven matchup again, I fought every raven player people named and did perfectly fine. and the only intelligible response I got was "its 6/4 raven because the best g.l and best raven said so. Then the counter argument was its 6/4 cause you didn't drive 1000+ miles to go play some random person face to face.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Joker GL 3 7 in greens favour. it would be nice if it was just like the post denzell made, any one knockdown, it has to be a very specific knockdown or at least a combo starter into a combo cut short to go into an ambiguous crossup.

once joker gets gl in the corner though 90% of characters aint getting out. ever. that will rarely happen and this is why the MU is only 7 3

only lol
I can agree with that number. I think a lot of people dont really know how to approach joker and dont realize how much you can abuse him in a lot of situations.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
I agree with afrozilla86. There is a lot of downplayers in the forums who see a character that's capable on beating GL from far range, ex sinestro, raven, ds and now MMH and call it a disadvantage right away. Though this is true when GL is close he can shut these characters down completely specially when locked in a corner.

A lot of GL players I've seen and played have the bad habit of ending corner combos with a lift putting them away from them! giving a zoning character another chance to breath and going for mid screen resets instead of keeping them in the corner, it's time to go to the bnb section and work on corner combos that leaves them in the corner. What's even worse to see is mb lifting a zoning character in the corner and going for the b3 stage transition which puts both back at mid screen, I can't express how many players I've seen lose games that were basically won if they just kept these characters in the corner. GL has great corner combos from 38 to 55% that keeps them in the corner, can mix up in the corner and can reverse wake ups with b12 dash, use them or forever see yourself at a disadvantage vs these characters.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
How many g.l down players are on this site? are we really debating that a person who had enough time to develop his mmh and knows the g.l matchup wouldn't make it feel like it is in his favor when he plays a g.l with little to no mmh experience? Just like any zoner, start off learning the properties of his zoning if that is giving you trouble. His trait is an admittably troublesome problem, and could lead to this being longterm unfavorable. But this is getting sadder everyday if I listened to the site I would have to switch characters on superman blackadam sinestro raven bat girl scorpion death stroke doomsday cyborg Harley batman zatanna mmh zod and aqua man. If that is the case then why would I even play g.l lol. Analyze adapt then post m.u numbers please, preferably after more than theory battles.
Lol 4-6 isn't even worth switching on, man.

I'm certainly not saying GL has BAD matchups. Unfavorable? Yeah. Is that really a problem? Not really, because unless it's an exceedingly difficult matchup, there's no real reason to go to another character. Any of his harder matchups, I feel are only 4-6s.

Like I said, I think the matchup is slight favor MMH...but that's my opinion based on my experiences, which is limited compared to KT's. So my opinion isn't exactly as reliable, considering he plays vs the best MMH in the country right now.

Zogyark there's little nuances that really screw with GL up close vs Sinestro. That matchup is definitely in Sinestro's favor.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I think the truly bad matchups that I've played so far are Superman and Raven. I'm thinking Killer Frost could be really bad if the KF knew the matchup too.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
A lot of GL players I've seen and played have the bad habit of ending corner combos with a lift putting them away from them! giving a zoning character another chance to breath and going for mid screen resets instead of keeping them in the corner, it's time to go to the bnb section and work on corner combos that leaves them in the corner.
This times a billion.

Not only that, I have midscreen combos that are designed for corner carry. SERIOUS corner carry. One can corner across 70% of the stage length if they tech roll at the end

maybe it's time to share? up to the GL forum

Lol the g.l forum finally getting rid of the downplaying and talking about methods of adapting to assist in winning. So good to see, and thanks I need something for my corner game, I am nice mid screen and at long and close, but with the opponent's back in the corner I could use some extended pressure work besides otgs into grabs or 50/50.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Yes please :D
lol I was mostly bluffing.

basically, the formula is to end combos with b233

I haven't played this game since Summer Jam but let me see if I can remember off the top of my head...

If you go to training mode and leave the opponent where the start, you can jump over them (so you are now on P2 side) and do the following combo:

b13, trait, EX Lift, late j2, b233

If they tech roll at the end it should put them roughly one character space from the corner, maybe a tiny bit more.

If you leave a character at training mode start and push them TWICE by dashing into them, you can then jump over them and do the following combo:

223, EX Rocket, b3, late j2, b233 and it should put them in roughly the same spot, one character space from the corner if they tech roll.

The trick is closing the distance because now even though their back is to the corner you're a full screen away. If they DON'T tech roll, you can get a turbine whiff. If they DO tech roll, you can get about 1 and 1/2 dashes. What this means is that if you do a single dash and begin to walk forward you will have advantage. If you do two dashes, you'll be closer but will be at disadvantage by the time your second dash recovers.

I had other variations of this combo for different starters but I forget what they were...

Sadness was hoping for more corner combos. I usually do OK on corner carrying by just using mb lift instead of oa rocket. As for actual corner combos, I am lost, got so desperate I started trying f2 strings til I decided to just cut short mid screen combos and otg.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Good shit KT!

Ugh, the more and more I think this character over, the less I feel like saying he's not top 5.

This times a billion.

Not only that, I have midscreen combos that are designed for corner carry. SERIOUS corner carry. One can corner across 70% of the stage length if they tech roll at the end

maybe it's time to share? up to the GL forum
Go to my BnB thread and list some.

OK guess give it a few weeks to give other players chances to adapt to mechanic changes. When that is done I will tackle infra dead and myzteryking Ares, and start revisiting old matchups that were almost even. Wonder how black Adam will be now.. It should be interesting.

OK guess give it a few weeks to give other players chances to adapt to mechanic changes. When that is done I will tackle infra dead and myzteryking Ares, and start revisiting old matchups that were almost even. Wonder how black Adam will be now.. It should be interesting.
I don't expect there to be a lot of changes, but you never know.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
batman, superman and BA are easier

sinestro and cyborg are harder especially cyborg but unless you run into relaxed state or jailhouse in tournament you don't really have to worry about that

batman, superman and BA are easier

sinestro and cyborg are harder especially cyborg but unless you run into relaxed state or jailhouse in tournament you don't really have to worry about that
For BM, SM and BA it's still not enough to say it's advantage I don't think.

Alright...anyone with extensive experience against Zod (preferably Pig's or Dave's) help me figure out if there's anything GL can do.

Obviously you have to get in and stay in. But damn those mixups and fullscreen 50/50 on top of zoning are rough.

Any ideas?

haven't read the whole thread, but MMH vs GL definitely 6 4. It isn't easy for MMH however, GL wrecks him if he gets in. The main issue is the fact that GL can't use his projectiles like he usually can and he doesn't win the zoning battle, so he is forced to go in if he wants to have success. DJT has it at 6 4 as well, but it is just like raven and sinestro, if GL gets in, GGs bro haha.

haven't read the whole thread, but MMH vs GL definitely 6 4. It isn't easy for MMH however, GL wrecks him if he gets in. The main issue is the fact that GL can't use his projectiles like he usually can and he doesn't win the zoning battle, so he is forced to go in if he wants to have success. DJT has it at 6 4 as well, but it is just like raven and sinestro, if GL gets in, GGs bro haha.
6-4 in MMHs favor? I have yet been able to download him or played anyone using him so I know nothing about this MU.

6-4 in MMHs favor? I have yet been able to download him or played anyone using him so I know nothing about this MU.
yeah, 6 4 MMH favor. most ppl don't play MMH, but luckily I main him and my bro mains GL, so we have more xp in that matchup then most. It's an interesting matchup for sure.

yeah, 6 4 MMH favor. most ppl don't play MMH, but luckily I main him and my bro mains GL, so we have more xp in that matchup then most. It's an interesting matchup for sure.
Alright I'll take your word for it and list it as slight disadvantage.

What are some things GL can do in that MU?

OP has been updated and reset for post patch match ups. As before if you have experience in a match up list and discuss what you believe the advantage/disadvantage is for GL.

Rathalos
Can this thread be renamed to "Post-patch Match up List and Discussion"