What's new

Match-up Discussion Post-patch Match up List and Discussion

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
The two I had questions on were raven and sinestro. Sinestro I am not trying to correct, yet, I have not played enough competent ones, and am currently memorizing his strings this week and just wanted more entail on why its bad. I am noticing that a lot of the bad matchups seem more like a lack of understanding of what to do against Zoners and can probably be even with a more passive playstyle . Certain stages all of the characters that have a slight advantage over g.l do have a few stages where they can legitly win, but that also works vice versa. The raven matchup, I can say right now falls in the category of even. Online makes her zoning stronger, and her counter zoning significantly weaker. She is borderline free to well spaced air oa rockets and has the sole responsibility of reacting every time or eating chip for no reward, since she losses trade and on top of that another one negates all her mb counter fireball options. The only option she has is to either approach you, or jump back enter dark raven in the air, which is literally just enough time to get off a mb oa rocket to do damage to her. If you get life lead of roughly 33% on her neutral interactables you can negate all her options by laming her out. Her only combo starters that have a chance of hitting are mb f3, and soul crush if you dash too far in on pillars, which can lock you down between distance 4 and 3. Only reason I say even and not advantage is because you have to read the desperation for dark raven mode usually 2-4 times to generally win the chip war if you play this method. And if you do one combo with meter on her, she is free to nearly every reset otg in your arsenal and even if she reacts correctly, a good block chain usually adds about 5% chip and let's you retreat away to be passive for more laming out or If you crouch about 4 spaces away from her with her in the corner, you will stalemate her with a guaranteed combo cause she can not move at all.
Is there anyway you could record a set with you and blind man or have him record it cause I wanna see how that match up is played.

Endeavor

Superman is 4-6
Batgirl 4-6
Batman 5-5
Aquaman 5-5
black adam 5-5
doomsday 5-5
Deathstroke 5-5
Raven 5-5
Sinestro 5-5
nightwing 6-4
Flash 6-4
WW 5-5
Lex 6-4
Grundy 6-4
bane 6-4
Mmh 5-5
Zod 4-6
Zatanna 5-5
Hawkgirl 6-4
lobo 6-4
Scorpion 6-4
Cyborg 5-5
Kf 6-4
Cat woman 6-4
Harley 5-5
Joker 6-4
Ares 5-5
Shazam 6-4
His matchups feel like this to me. Nothing set in stone just all his mus feel so balanced.
Djt on the joker match up, why do you feel as though it's 6-4? And have you played emperor darks joker cause when I played that match up it felt like 4-6 to me simply because when joker knocks GL down he can't get up.

It was very weird, I already knew that it seemed to get increased range after turbine, but for some reason it was catching mmh well out of the range whenever he went for jump backs or tried another tele to punish my turbine. May have been game randomness

I wouldn't mind if the set was recorded, but I don't have the equipment to do it. I would also need blind Ducky's permission to do so, which probably isn't a problem, he is a relatively nice person. He would probably just tell you some things you could do if you ask him anyway. Do keep in mind, that raven is very reaction based, and some of the stuff that hits him may ordinarily be blocked. Most ravens I know hate getting their online recorded cause it doesnt do them justice. I would probably try to play far back for most of the match just so you can get a better grasp of where some of the holes are at in her zoning when she can't go into trait.

Lith

Noob
It was very weird, I already knew that it seemed to get increased range after turbine, but for some reason it was catching mmh well out of the range whenever he went for jump backs or tried another tele to punish my turbine. May have been game randomness
I have been thinking that the move has increased range on reversals like if your opponent is doing something during LM active frames but doesn't reach as far normally.

Rayner, have you tried the wakeup back dash or blocking it like it is Doomsday's overhead low slam in reverse. I have played emperor dark too, and most of the matches I try playing pure agro do seem to make it closer to even. The good thing is that g.l can do the same thing to joker with his resets, the bad thing is joker's teeth j3 is meter less. But he wouldn't be a top 10 joker player if he wasn't good lol.

sgZick

Noob
I have been thinking that the move has increased range on reversals like if your opponent is doing something during LM active frames but doesn't reach as far normally.
Encountered this before as well, I just explained it to myself as this (just my theory) the opponenets position is checked during the activation frames, or even at the first frame of LM, but definitely before the active frames. If your opponent jumps back out of range you will still catch him, sometimes you can catch them backdashing out of range as well, but that doesn't seem to be consistant.

Endeavor

Encountered this before as well, I just explained it to myself as this (just my theory) the opponenets position is checked during the activation frames, or even at the first frame of LM, but definitely before the active frames. If your opponent jumps back out of range you will still catch him, sometimes you can catch them backdashing out of range as well, but that doesn't seem to be consistant.
The range on LM seems to be inconsistent online, there are times where I know I'm in range but whiff, and other times where i should be out of range but hit. For example, i was doing a GL mirror and the GL did LM and I blocked it, I immediately responded with my own LM and it whiffed.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Idk joker gets outfootsies by gl outzoned I think too. Better AA than joker. His wakeups are ass so gl vortex can fuck joker pretty bad. Joker has to get a knockdown to beat gl. Joker getting a knockdown not easy for at highest lvl. Def a solid 6-4 imo

Endeavor

Idk joker gets outfootsies by gl outzoned I think too. Better AA than joker. His wakeups are ass so gl vortex can fuck joker pretty bad. Joker has to get a knockdown to beat gl. Joker getting a knockdown not easy for at highest lvl. Def a solid 6-4 imo
I was not aware that joker had to respect the vortex set ups, that changes everything.

So, was working on new resets and overheard the prospect of using j3 as a otg starter. Just started working on it, so not too annoyed, was just wondering is this one more reliable than the standing 2 otg?

The j3 overhead otg I think can be very viable, and the timing is not as bad as standing 2 , but still fairly tight. but even if you mess up you either bait a wakeup or your set to punish them with a grab or f3. J3 d1 gives plenty of time to confirm whether or not they blocked it, and you get a full combo off of it which is nice. Think this may replace the turbine reset for me just cause of how well it works once i get the timing of it down. I hope timing isn't character or stance dependent.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
So I went to Infinite Crisis last night, and it went fairly well. I won Mk9 which was awesome, and in Injustice I lost to two superman
players (Frantastic I think, and I forget the other guys name), as well as Cd jr. Jr just out played me for sure, although I need to work on the WW matchup some. However, I felt really lost in the superman matchup (hadn't gotten to play it with GL yet until last night sadly). I tried to zone him at full screen like KT Smith has said to do, but I couldnt ever really get some damage. Should I just work on this strategy and try to make better reads, or should I try rushing him down.

GhosT

Noob
So I went to Infinite Crisis last night, and it went fairly well. I won Mk9 which was awesome, and in Injustice I lost to two superman
players (Frantastic I think, and I forget the other guys name), as well as Cd jr. Jr just out played me for sure, although I need to work on the WW matchup some. However, I felt really lost in the superman matchup (hadn't gotten to play it with GL yet until last night sadly). I tried to zone him at full screen like KT Smith has said to do, but I couldnt ever really get some damage. Should I just work on this strategy and try to make better reads, or should I try rushing him down.
The way I see that mu at fullscreen. Use straight rocket anytime you duck a straight laser. Or use that to get a dash closer. Whrn he is air zoning. If he does the laser too high you can use your air attack I forgot its name. But that will hit him and leave you close. Its sort or risky so I use it when you have something scouted out. Fullscreen you need to cherish any lifelead you have because its hard to get damage vs superman in a zone battle. The close range fight be careful with b1 use it at max range. On defense lantern and superman have an inyeresting meta. Since b1 is good after breath. Then there are LM reads off backdashes and jumps after a blocked f2 3 breath. Feels kinda 6 4 for SM really the key is taking no zone damage and getting an early lead so you can force him to you and try and get a whiff punish into vortex damage

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
there are a bunch of on stream casuals between me and Frantastic and CD Jr from the top 16 day of summer jam. I went to go look them up on the summer jam page but it's telling me the video is failing to load. maybe you'll have more luck

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
there are a bunch of on stream casuals between me and Frantastic and CD Jr from the top 16 day of summer jam. I went to go look them up on the summer jam page but it's telling me the video is failing to load. maybe you'll have more luck
Wow that's awesome, I'll check it out tonight. Thanks.

Lith

Noob
How do GL players deal with Scorpion? I've been seeing people listing the match as 5-5 And I couldn't disagree more. In my Area I have Scorpion mains who have been playing him since day 1 and I feel like I just have to guess all the time. I can't punish his EX teleport with anything, if I jump I get hit with a teleport for free on reaction, if I stay grounded I get hit with hell fires long enough to build meter for another EX teleport. Can someone give suggestions or post a video? I know you can stuff Scorpion wake-ups with Machine Gun at range and Forward 3 MB up close but that only helps so much, especially since machine gun stuff does little damage even if you spend a much wanted bar. Also, I want to see good reactionary Scorpions trying to win the match and who know Scorpions combos and resets.

In the supes mu online, you can't duck and shoot an oa rocket or you both will trade. His lasers are easy to jump over, and you can stall in the air with air oa if you need it. You can also walk and c block or block in. You may also want to block an air laser standing to make him waste a meter so he doesn't get the omni super. Once in, you battle out for footsies with priority and skill. It is one of those pure 5/5 mu's if you make his poor to g.l zoning a none factor in the matchup. Plus you can counter space superman fairly well with various oa's and occasional gatlin and rp.

Endeavor

Can anyone help me with MMH I fought a really good one and I had not a single answer for that mu.His zoning seems to be a real problem. It feels kind of like a better version of Nightwings zoning. The MB pillars, plus the traps and GL's over all bad walk speed make that match up a real problem for him.

How do GL players deal with Scorpion? I've been seeing people listing the match as 5-5 And I couldn't disagree more. In my Area I have Scorpion mains who have been playing him since day 1 and I feel like I just have to guess all the time. I can't punish his EX teleport with anything, if I jump I get hit with a teleport for free on reaction, if I stay grounded I get hit with hell fires long enough to build meter for another EX teleport. Can someone give suggestions or post a video? I know you can stuff Scorpion wake-ups with Machine Gun at range and Forward 3 MB up close but that only helps so much, especially since machine gun stuff does little damage even if you spend a much wanted bar. Also, I want to see good reactionary Scorpions trying to win the match and who know Scorpions combos and resets.
i play both characters. if you play scorpion i can show u whats up

187x

Noob
Can anyone help me with MMH I fought a really good one and I had not a single answer for that mu.His zoning seems to be a real problem. It feels kind of like a better version of Nightwings zoning. The MB pillars, plus the traps and GL's over all bad walk speed make that match up a real problem for him.
MMH bops lantern, Me and shockwave played this mu so many times shit is frustrating but winnable. 6-4 mmh imo

Have not played great ones, all I know is one of his teleports wiffs for LM punish on well placed air oa, most like to go low, and you can mb b3 or start the b13 rp or gatlin pressure on raw teleport slam. And don't jump if he has meter

187x

Noob
Be extremely patient against him and don't be in the air to much because he does have a tele and mb pillar is a anti air. When trading projectiles with him standing rocket will be the one. When blocked oh tele do b13 to rocket to be at advantage always try to mix it up. if You think hes going to dash out after blocked OH tele b1 will hit him and so will Lift. If you Think he's going to jump away do ji1 to air to air, or you can just do lift. Also you can punish OH tele on reaction with neutral j1. Also MMH b13 is a hard knockdown and he can slighty step forward and do OH teleport and it will be a crossover so if you where blocking back you will be punished.

Endeavor

Be extremely patient against him and don't be in the air to much because he does have a tele and mb pillar is a anti air. When trading projectiles with him standing rocket will be the one. When blocked oh tele do b13 to rocket to be at advantage always try to mix it up. if You think hes going to dash out after blocked OH tele b1 will hit him and so will Lift. If you Think he's going to jump away do ji1 to air to air, or you can just do lift. Also you can punish OH tele on reaction with neutral j1. Also MMH b13 is a hard knockdown and he can slightly step forward and do OH teleport and it will be a crossover so if you where blocking back you will be punished.
Alright thank you cause that explains how I was getting his by that crap before. And i didnt know that you could beat his OH teleport with neutral j1, thats gdlk.