What's new

POLL: What Buffalo did... Was it wrong?

Was Buffalo inappropriate for his pop off?

• Yes

Votes: 282 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 138 32.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gamer68

Fujin!
  • "Way back this would have been nothing to the FGC"
  • "eSports has made people soft"
  • "I don't care, this is hype"
  • Etc, etc.
It's like people enjoy and want to see interactions like this. To each their own, but I don't think seeing a young man getting that worked up and in someone's face over video games is very entertaining and it's also behavior that shouldn't be normalized.

But once again here come the people who try to make it out like you are "too weak" or "soft" or whatever if you don't agree with this, because apparently disagreeing with aggression and wanting a more respectful (and respected) community = you're weak. I guess to these people, liking and accepting this type of behavior means you are strong or something?

Either way, I just think it's dumb argument to try to discredit those who didn't like the pop-off.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I thought it was funny honestly, I don’t have an investment in either one of these people. But anybody that has ever been yelled at like that and felt the nasty ass spit droplets hit your face has a different perspective. That’s the most disrespectful thing you can do in my book. Like somebody said earlier, 2 more feet away and this wouldn’t be a discussion.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
  • "Way back this would have been nothing to the FGC"
  • "eSports has made people soft"
  • "I don't care, this is hype"
  • Etc, etc.
It's like people enjoy and want to see interactions like this. To each their own, but I don't think seeing a young man getting that worked up and in someone's face over video games is very entertaining and it's also behavior that shouldn't be normalized.

But once again here come the people who try to make it out like you are "too weak" or "soft" or whatever if you don't agree with this, because apparently disagreeing with aggression and wanting a more respectful (and respected) community = you're weak. I guess to these people, liking and accepting this type of behavior means you are strong or something?

Either way, I just think it's dumb argument to try to discredit those who didn't like the pop-off.
Name even a single competitive environment in which something similar has never happened? Its natural. Stifling natural emotion bc its not the best and most fancied way to be seems like a disney villains M.O.... But sure, we can all act like he ate a baby if you think itll get us into heaven or the galactic space professionals council. He didnt hit Scar, he yelled words at him. He acted immature, not horrid. The police do worse than this on traffic stops. My Rugby coach was worse than this. My parents did worse than this. There are fights on NBA courts, NFL fields, NHL... Ice things... its natural to be overtaken by competitive fuel and a bit of testosterone.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Name even a single competitive environment in which something similar has never happened? Its natural. Stifling natural emotion bc its not the best and most fancied way to be seems like a disney villains M.O.... But sure, we can all act like he ate a baby if you think itll get us into heaven or the galactic space professionals council. He didnt hit Scar, he yelled words at him. He acted immature, not horrid. The police do worse than this on traffic stops. My Rugby coach was worse than this. My parents did worse than this. There are fights on NBA courts, NFL fields, NHL... Ice things... its natural to be overtaken by competitive fuel and a bit of testosterone.
When did I say that he acted horrid? I said that I wanted to see a community that is more respectful. I haven't said a thing to make it out like Buffalo is terrible human. I just said that the interaction was not okay and shouldn't be normalized, and that's that.

And once again, just because other people do it doesn't mean someone else should as well. And sorry, but being "overtaken by competitive fuel and testosterone" isn't really a good excuse either. I'm a man and I would only get in someone's face like that if I really had too under a specific set of circumstances. Testosterone is such a weak excuse, holy shit.

Xentex

Noob
Meh. I've done worse. Had plenty of trash talking episode that lead to fists.

Certainly not model behavior, but whatever.

I don't think ti's nearly as bad as NRS taking out huge bouncy knockers. That's the kind of shit I upgraded my graphics card for. But no reward. If I see Ed Boon around I'll pepper him with that same kind of spit talk. Might even Johnny Cage him.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
When did I say that he acted horrid? I said that I wanted to see a community that is more respectful. I haven't said a thing to make it out like Buffalo is terrible human. I just said that the interaction was not okay and shouldn't be normalized, and that's that.

And once again, just because other people do it doesn't mean someone else should as well. And sorry, but being "overtaken by competitive fuel and testosterone" isn't really a good excuse either. I'm a man and I would only get in someone's face like that if I really had too under a specific set of circumstances. Testosterone is such a weak excuse, holy shit.
Have you ever been involved in a directly competitive situation in which you felt bullied and forgotten and then proved yourself against that voice? Have you ever been yelled at like that? Why are we not asking if it was okay for Scar to further instigate by flipping the finger? Testosterone isnt an excuse, its science. But libs hate science, conflicts with the censorship movement.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Have you ever been involved in a directly competitive situation in which you felt bullied and forgotten and then proved yourself against that voice? Have you ever been yelled at like that? Why are we not asking if it was okay for Scar to further instigate by flipping the finger? Testosterone isnt an excuse, its science. But libs hate science, conflicts with the censorship movement.
14 pages without someone shoving politics out of context in a discussion might be a record. We've had a good run, but all good things must come to an end.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
14 pages without someone shoving politics out of context in a discussion might be a record. We've had a good run, but all good things must come to an end.
Just because its name wasnt called doesnt mean it wasnt already there. Just to be clear, I respect all view points on politic and religion. But to say testosterone had no influence on a male teens outburst... Well, that is stupid. Ive liked your posts and had your back here several times. Hopefully you give this the benefit of the doubt.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
This community is beyond me. Its pretty cut and dry, to the point where this could be a Disney movie - kid does something well, but gets demeaned by the bully (a literal grown man in this situation) he looked up to and told "you'll never belong." Kid trains hard, wins in the end, gets his comeuppance. Justice is served.

Three cheers for the zero tolerance policy that plagues schools and empowers bullies - you are all advocating for it.

Xentex

Noob
I thought what we had was 14 pages debating whether toxic masculinity was acceptable or not.

Maybe it would be interesting scientific research for everyone to say "I'm [for or against] this popoff, and I vote [Dem or Rep]." I'd expect moderate correlation.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Just because its name wasnt called doesnt mean it wasnt already there. Just to be clear, I respect all view points on politic and religion. But to say testosterone had no influence on a male teens outburst... Well, that is stupid. Ive liked your posts and had your back here several times. Hopefully you give this the benefit of the doubt.
I understand where you're coming from. I definitely give you the benefit of the doubt because there are some seriously messed up discussions here where you're one of the few reasonable ones.

I thought what we had was 14 pages debating whether toxic masculinity was acceptable or not.

Maybe it would be interesting scientific research for everyone to say "I'm [for or against] this popoff, and I vote [Dem or Rep]." I'd expect moderate correlation.
And I definitely understand where you're coming from, too.

Thing is, in life, ANYTHING can be about politics if you want. I just think we have zero necessity to debate toxic masculinity in a setting where the debate won't be productive at all. As most pokémon games would brilliantly say, "there's a time and place for everything, but not now!"
For those who care, my opinion on the debate in question is: Not every loud manifestation of masculinity is toxic, far from it. Part of this whole talk needs to be that there are healthy ways to express your emotions, which is already something that plagues a lot of men (I understand quite a bit, from personal experience, of how not being able to express your emotions can fuck your mental health). I too get hyped when someone wins, turns to the crowd and yells their heart out. It's fun, it's genuine and harms no one. I do think what Buffalo did is NOT one of these examples, but he's extremely young, apologized and probably grew from it, while Scar is probably gonna keep doing his undercover toxic magic somewhere else. Not that I care too much though.
I just don't think popping off is an unhealthy demonstration of masculinity in itself though, and saying so might make this debate be taken less seriously when it really matters.
TL;DR: everything can be about politics if you really want it to be, but in this discussion it's pretty pointless, and that's from someone who's already debated politics in this forum on matters I actually found could be productive.

Last edited:

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp

If anything, I'd be more concerned about the people saying Scar needs props for not beating the kid. THAT'S unhealthy.

Ok, people keep saying that, but angry people want to be heard.
It has just as much power to escalate a confrontation as it does to end one. It's not some easy way out or sure fire way to shut conflict down.

It's also unfair and/ or unrealistic to expect someone suddenly in a confrontation to weigh all their options and choose the best one. That and hindsight isn't fair or clear. We have no idea what would have happened if he did something else. We can't rewind and play the situation back with different variables. We can just act we know things would have been better.
Buffalo was "in a confrontation" and alot of people where saying he should've "weigh all [his] options" so why is if bad for me to say scar could've left?
(Even scar said he wasnt going to punch someone over a video game, because he didnt want to lose sponsors/ other opportunities- so he did in fact weigh his options during the ordeal)

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

Ask yourself this: Would you be OK with someone literally walking up to you, getting an inch away from your face, and yell at you aggressively, calling you "boy"(which isn't getting enough attention for how awful it is), telling you to go fuck yourself and flipping you the bird for a minute straight?

No. This is not acceptable. Period. Calling this a "pop off" to normalize it is misleading. Yes, pop offs are part of the FGC culture and they're generally hype. This was not that. Fuck outta here. And all because he implied the only reason he beat some dude is due to the FT2 format?

Attachments

astronout

see you at the top.
Buffalo only popped off because he felt safe to do so. He wouldn't have pulled that stunt if there weren't any cameras/people around and it was just him and Scar. He did it soley to put on a show, but it got out of hand due to the elongated trespassing of a man's personal space. Don't respect it at all and Scar would have been well within his right to check him then and there.