What's new

PNDK&M presents - MK11 Explained: Kustom Variations

Skedar70

Noob
I don't see these kustom variations working in tournament. It will make tournaments way longer since everybody is going to have to take the time to build their "kustom character". Balancing will be an issue also, some people will discover some nasty OP builds just like they did in Inj 2. This is ok for casual fun play just like the inj 2 gear system and moves.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
What is the point then to make your own variation but you cant use it?
There are plenty of non-ranked modes in these games, you have online and offline options. You can just play playermatch if you want to use your crazy set up online.

Not to mention, tourneys can set their own rules, I’m sure there will be a number of them that’ll have (probably side) set ups for people who want to go at it with custom variations.

I just wouldn’t expect it in ranked online or at something like EVO

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Can something like this eventually be balanced? Of course. Would that happen any time soon after release? Hell no. Could NRS’s balancing actually manage to do it despite not even being able to balance set variations in MKX, probably fuckin’ not.
I agree with all of this except the last sentence. NRS has obviously made the competitive scene a higher priority for MK11 than it has ever been for any MK or Injustice title in the past. This basically means that past trends regarding competitive features go out the window as far as predictive power.

Having a perfectly balanced game is in almost all cases literally impossible. Having a "good enough" balanced game is just a matter of fine-tuning. And that's all I meant. Anything can be fine-tuned given that the right people are doing the fine-tuning, and they have enough time to do it.

I agree with a skeptical approach to MK11's balance, I disagree with a cynical approach.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I don't see these kustom variations working in tournament. It will make tournaments way longer since everybody is going to have to take the time to build their "kustom character". Balancing will be an issue also, some people will discover some nasty OP builds just like they did in Inj 2. This is ok for casual fun play just like the inj 2 gear system and moves.
If they let you quickly select moves from a list via the character select screen after choosing your character, it wouldn’t take much longer than selecting variations or 3 characters on tag games. Everyone would already know exactly which moves they will br choosing.

However, I doubt this will be the case, unfortunately.

trufenix

bye felicia
That's what I thought, but new information seems to contradict that, and I can't find any actual records of TYM hard confirming one way or the other. Any links?
I'm pretty sure Boon said it in his very first reveal presentation. There's been like five threads about it though, not hard to find.

pure.Wasted

That's what I thought, but new information seems to contradict that, and I can't find any actual records of TYM hard confirming one way or the other. Any links?
https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/01/17/ed-boon-talks-mortal-kombat-11s-variations-changes-and-roster

Do you think that between those three variations, those will be a character’s entire moveset, or will there be custom-only moves?

No, I don’t think from the base three variations we’ll be adding to that. We want those things to be fixed, so players can know, "That’s the variation, I know how it plays, I’m learning how to fight against it.”

Across those three – that will be the character’s entire moveset?

Yeah. We don’t want to leave stuff out, so I imagine that’ll be the base three, and they’ll encompass all of what that character can possibly do.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged

Yeah. We don’t want to leave stuff out, so I imagine that’ll be the base three, and they’ll encompass all of what that character can possibly do.
Heard stuff about the current version of the game and apparently this is not true. Some moves could stay out of the three competitive variations.

pure.Wasted

Heard stuff about the current version of the game and apparently this is not true. Some moves could stay out of the three competitive variations.
Heard from? If that's so, hopefully it's limited to just a few abilities, e.g. for Geras his time rewind ability and that's it.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
What dose it matter... I mean who gives a shit?

If you can't use them in competitive play... who gives a crap?

I get that gear mode was by far the most popular in IJ2.. but as far as the competitive community and TYM is concerned this is a variation like MKx... end of story.

pure.Wasted

What dose it matter... I mean who gives a shit?

If you can't use them in competitive play... who gives a crap?

I get that gear mode was by far the most popular in IJ2.. but as far as the competitive community and TYM is concerned this is a variation like MKx... end of story.
I have not seen any official statement that you will not be able to use custom variations in competitive ladder play.

Jynks

I have not seen any official statement that you will not be able to use custom variations in competitive ladder play.
Are you sure? I am pretty sure in those zillion Ed Boon interviews on launch he said exactly that.

https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/01/17/ed-boon-talks-mortal-kombat-11s-variations-changes-and-roster

Do you think that between those three variations, those will be a character’s entire moveset, or will there be custom-only moves?

No, I don’t think from the base three variations we’ll be adding to that. We want those things to be fixed, so players can know, "That’s the variation, I know how it plays, I’m learning how to fight against it.”

Awesome thanks.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Easier to watch these than wait for the damn Kombat Kasts.
It's pretty clear that WB is using K&M as part of the reveal cycle, giving us small bits of content to hold us over between kombat casts. I'm actually pretty happy with how they are playing the reveal cycle this time around.

Augment Sockets are banned for competitive matches or ranked? good to hear that..
Yeah... Fun sucks.
---

>"augmentation is purely single-player "

Wow... So, let me get this straight: In other words, "augments" are a gimmick heaped upon a gimmick -- a.k.a. a complete gimmick -- that will only be used by casuals to fight NRS's notoriously insulting, unbeatable-for-two-fights-then-turns-into-a-training-mode-dumbot' A.I., and a mechanic that will be gestapo prohibited, not only from "competitive" play (whatever that nebulous term means in effect -- e-spergs tournies...?), but, also any and all multiplayer modes--period....?

>mfw

Last edited:

pure.Wasted

Yeah... Fun sucks.

You want your competitive options to be limited by what gear you randomly unlocked by completing a tower? You want someone who blows $50 on more/faster gear unlocks to have a stronger character than you?

That sounds fun?

That sounds fun?
See my previous, edited post for clarification on what the much-touted "augments" seemingly are (read: are not)...

tl;dr -- Why bother with wasting devs' and Warn-a-Brother's "limited resources" (lol + lel + lol) time on such a throw-away gimmick -- something that they're not even going to fully implement -- when there are myriad characters, moves, gameplay etc. additions and improvements screaming for attention...?

Last edited:

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Yeah I was under the impression that competitively it's going to be similar to MKX in that there's 3 fixed variations per character again. It's just that they added the powerset loadout customization now from INJ2 for various types of modes.

Jynks

It's pretty clear that WB is using K&M as part of the reveal cycle, giving us small bits of content to hold us over between kombat casts. I'm actually pretty happy with how they are playing the reveal cycle this time around.
These guys should move to america and be put on the payroll. They should be running the Kombat Casts.

Someone explain to me how this...

...satisfies Boon's repeated claims and, indeed, one of the key selling points of the game (and supposed core design change that apparently makes MK11 its own beast, as distinct from just 'MKX.V: Make it Easier for Gore-Loving Kids Edition'), that players can "customise their favourite characters the way THEY want to"...?

For, as far as I can see, not only is the system rendered a rather failed in utero gimmick -- given, according to the video in the OP, it is restricted to vs. dumbot use only -- but, in light of how restrictive the "slot" system is going to be (the exampled case here means Scorpion will have to use up all his """customisation""" in order to have access to one, simple combo string), there will be little "variety" at all anyway.

If this is all borne out as fact, I can already confirm that I (and most others, I'd wager) would have much, MUCH preferred either an 'Armageddon'-size roster, or even more fleshed out existing characters (more specials, Fatal Blows, Brutalities etc.), in lieu of these, what look increasingly like pseudo "variations". You can colour me 'worried', now that this information has been revealed...

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I mean it's the same system as Injustice 2 and gear moves, it's not that complicated. Only difference is that the pool of special moves isn't linked to tangible RNG loot drops on top of a loadout slot system restriction.

So yeah there's going to be a ton of customization options for loadouts provided you manage the slots. And yes there will be modes where you can use custom variations and modes were you likely are locked to the pre-defined base 3. Again merging the systems from Injustice 2 and MKX.

Last edited: