What's new

General/Other - Takeda People always bashing Takeda?

Do you think takeda is a cheap character?

• Yes

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 57 83.8%

• Total voters
get ready because im about to drop some serious knowledge about how NOT cheap this character is....
B21: over 20 frames of startup AND can be jumped out of / armored / back dashed through if cancelled into kunai
B3: same as B21
112(fastest normal): hits high (terrible punishing option) and can be interrupted / back dashed after the first 1
EX teleport (the "SAFE" option): according to in game frame data this is neutral on block, except not cause after a short testing session I found it is punishable on reaction by a 12 frame standing normal.
f12: his 2nd fastest punish, unfortunately it doesn't link into any specials so its useless as an actual punish
every single EX wakeup can be stuffed with moves like subs b12 (this will wreck his wakeup game)

in reality, takeda is a scrub stomper, he absolutely wrecks people that don't understand the block / punish system, but if people played him like the unsafe character that he is, he would fare badly. that being said, I love this character. ive maintained top 5 on the leaderboards since day 1 with only takeda. im determined to take every unsafe option he has and work around it. however, as he stands now, hes not going to be top tier after everyone learns the MU.
Agree with alot of this, except the backdashing.

I would reserve backdashing for ultra-predictable Takeda's and none other. From the little I know about Takeda, he is really, really good at catching backdashes.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Agree with alot of this, except the backdashing.

I would reserve backdashing for ultra-predictable Takeda's and none other. From the little I know about Takeda, he is really, really good at catching backdashes.
What he meant is, when Takeda is doing strings into Kunai (ike a medium-range b21), backdashing the Kunai. There's nothing that'll catch that safely.

But the Close Kunai is -1 on block, so even once you've blocked it you're usually able to start your offense on him.

Last edited:
Takeda is the equivalent of pre patch death stroke.....he will be nerfed if people cry hard enough....RIP takeda, you were never allowed to live

If that's the case, you probably weren't playing good enough players who will take advantage of his frame data.

I'm 55-0 in Player Match right now, but in actual training sets top players are much smarter and can smell an advantage when they see it. It's a different story.
You are actually right because i would always get matched up with people who were 4/3, 5/3, 2/0 etc etc i havent been matched up against someone with more than 20 wins besides that Mileena. Im gonna try her and Kung Jin out when i get off of work in a couple hours.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Takeda is a scrub killer, so you're going to hear a ton of bitching, but he's kind of a horrible character. He's got some ok mixups, but once you knock him down the match is over. This is a horrible combination, because that means he's not that great, but he's probably going to get nerfed anyway.

AssassiN

Noob
get ready because im about to drop some serious knowledge about how NOT cheap this character is....
B21: over 20 frames of startup AND can be jumped out of / armored / back dashed through if cancelled into kunai
B3: same as B21
112(fastest normal): hits high (terrible punishing option) and can be interrupted / back dashed after the first 1
EX teleport (the "SAFE" option): according to in game frame data this is neutral on block, except not cause after a short testing session I found it is punishable on reaction by a 12 frame standing normal.
f12: his 2nd fastest punish, unfortunately it doesn't link into any specials so its useless as an actual punish
every single EX wakeup can be stuffed with moves like subs b12 (this will wreck his wakeup game)

in reality, takeda is a scrub stomper, he absolutely wrecks people that don't understand the block / punish system, but if people played him like the unsafe character that he is, he would fare badly. that being said, I love this character. ive maintained top 5 on the leaderboards since day 1 with only takeda. im determined to take every unsafe option he has and work around it. however, as he stands now, hes not going to be top tier after everyone learns the MU.
Agreed with most of these, except that F12 allows him to get some decent meterless damage.
For example: F122+4(1)~teleport,33~Spear/fists does like 28%.

I will say Takeda is a challenge, but not as in cheap. When I was fighting him, he's was tricky at first then he became very predictable with some of his moves yet I was still getting punished from it. The problem for me right now is that I need to work on defensive options when fighting against him. I appreciate the challenge as it will only make me more knowledgeable of the matchup.

IMO, the majority of people complaining about him being cheap are lazy players who just don't take time out to analyze what they're doing wrong. Plus, it's too early to confirm anything especially since each character has 3 variations. I definitely understand advantages/disadvantages with certain characters, but it seems like nowadays because people give up too easily and don't want to learn anything, they just want each and every character nerfed ASAP.

By the way, I'm open to sparring with any Takeda players.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
To be fair. In the variation with the low whip. From half screen he has a triple 50/50
B2B1 3+2 or whatever it is with the triple overhead can be cancelled into ex whip and ex daggers at anypoint for a followup
Also on knockdown, u can ex throw daggers in go in for NJP, and u get another 50/50 which u can change the timing of every time.
Everything is hella negative but cause its staggered and long range its hard to get a punish in sometimes

I play takeda and comparatively to other characters he does seem easy and extremely effective, i think he will get toned down for the sake of the casuals.

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
If anyone else talks crap like that, tell them to shut the fuck up, go to practice and figure it out instead of whining like a pre teen school child.
(no offensive if anyone is a pre teen school child, I merely target the dumb majourity)

gamesun

Noob
It's a matter of actually knowing how to play the character, because i can easily do a high damaging combo with Takeda but I can't seem to win consistently with him. In other words noobs will see a 40 % damage combo and cry OP when in reality I freaking suck with said character.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Play some sets against better players from here and thatway you can see where he lacks and how punishable his normals are. I planned on playing him a lot but after labbing him he doesn't fit my style and doesn't have the tools that I could use over my other two characters (Kenshi\Sub-Zero).

Maybe once he gets flushed out more I will go back to him but for now I'm putting him on the back burner.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
These are the kinds of little things that give Takeda players fits :):

For strings ending in Close Kunai:

For b2~kunai (notice that it comes out as b21 instead on whiff):
(This one needs to be timed well to avoid being hit by the 1, but it happens a lot by accident).

For enhanced tele:

If you're not feeling comfortable punishing the armored EN tele wakeup (which is pretty easy with practice), you can just NJP and beat both:

There are more, but I'm sure people will find them on their own.

It's up to us to try to mix things up: but blocking later rather than opening up earlier is usually in your favor. If you block a Kunai from mid range, he's +3, but not too close to you, and his followup will be 23. 20, or 30 frames. If you block the close Kunai, he's -1 and you can pressure. So I think the key is not to panic, and just block well until you're in the medium-range (similar to how we treat other zoning characters). Use armor wisely and keep your wits about you.

Like the old adage about Scorpion's hellfire and Smoke's d4 in MK9, if you miss a low block and and up being hit by Kunai, take the 7% but don't let it make you panic and eat a followup. Continue to work your way in. Backdash the followup if you need to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9158

I have yet to play a Takeda, it's all Ermac and Scorpion over here. Though I did play a Shinnok today, that was cool

FluffyKittenPops

#ONTHERISE
Everytime im takeda i always hear trash talk and that hes cheap and i have no skill and such. But i think he is excellent christ im 22/0 in ranked PVP.
Takeda is just a popular character and everyone decides to use him. Simply because he is badass and good. Doesn't mean he's cheap, it just means you can't handle it. Lol.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
To be fair. In the variation with the low whip. From half screen he has a triple 50/50
B2B1 3+2 or whatever it is with the triple overhead can be cancelled into ex whip and ex daggers at anypoint for a followup
Just remember that b21 2+4 only does 6%. The Kunai will do 7%. So the low whip option there is the only one people should really worry about.

If b21 2+4 is blocked, that's a full combo punish. Also if EN Low whip is blocked, that's a full combo punish. If they're blocking high, the low whip will give you a full combo -- but that's only if they're scared of taking the 6% knockdown.

So when you do the math, the risk-reward still comes out mainly in your opponent's favor. You spend a bar, they block low and take 6% best case, worst case you're eating a full combo and then trying to get off the ground, likely without breaker.

Black Shroud

Formless Like Water
Takeda is just a popular character and everyone decides to use him. Simply because he is badass and good. Doesn't mean he's cheap, it just means you can't handle it. Lol.
There is more to him: basically he is a compilation of 10-20 most popular tropes merged together (off top of my head: only "ninja" to properly use kunai tool in MK, Scorpion/Kenshi son, got Scorp's telepounch and UMK3 skullmask as trophies, Liu headband worn Solid Snake style, Raiden (Metal Gear) armor, Human Cyrax-like alt, Human Sektor device on back connected to Omega Red whips that have extendable blades to turn into Ivy's Whipswords (SC)/Batman-Mavado grappling hooks/Scorpion spear, has basically Human Smoke stance and shares his concept of metallic grey costume masked ninja with open hair (so he rules Smoke out of game and into a faction fatality), has Sektor Jedi pulseblades worn on wrists Barakablades-style so that he also looks like Protoss Zealot from StarCraft, and not only he can use Force to levitate the pulseblades (meh any Jedi can do that), but also shoots that Hsu Hao laser out of them, and mind that no Naruto fan will walk away from this character either, and on top of that his name kind of implies Shirai Ryu Founder reincarnation). He also has Shoryuken (ShiraiRyuKan lol) as if there wasn't enough ripoff.

tl;dr: alot of forced popularity inserted into a character, yet for all of that he has one lame kid/teen voice, must be insta-pick for any schoolkid, will get hated for being forced down the throat.

Last edited:

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Idk. Ive been having the worst time punishing his obvious incomong wake up teleport mb. And he backdashed away from the punish. Im not sure if its an online thing or what but its not how id get anti aired by a teleport for half my health

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Also seems like a lot of people are trying to defend Takeda to make him look like hes not cheap. When hes actually very dangerous still. Not saying hes cheap by any means but waking up next to him from a 3rd of the screen is scary. Especially Shirai Ryu. Hell you can even combo off the kunai. Ive done it. Lol
Hes fun but not fun to play against. Ive seen people just go ham.

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
People are too lazy to realize he is extra negative on everything for no reason lol. he has to keep space because his normals are slow on start up an throw kunai to be safe but you can jump kunai on reaction.