What's new

PDP's breakdown of the new Mortal Kombat X fight pad

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
The fightpads are designed to be used like an arcade stick. Meaning, you use your fingers for the face buttons not your thumbs. You might think the buttons are too small, but they are not, they are perfectly sized in my opinion.
They're designed for comfort, not to be used just like an arcade stick, in which case you'd get one instead.

Thumb or claw, barely makes a difference.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
They're designed for comfort, not to be used just like an arcade stick, in which case you'd get one instead.

Thumb or claw, barely makes a difference.
Does that not depend on the game though? For games with multiple simultaneous button presses (i.e. Guilty gear) it would seem that something like the claw would be preferred. Especially if there are not enough buttons so that you could assign unused buttons to in game macros (Ie, throw, 3 K, etc). Have not played on a pad seriously for such a long time, but I remember this being a problem for Gief and Blanka players in ST during the SNES/Genesis days. Things have come a long way since then.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Does that not depend on the game though? For games with multiple simultaneous button presses (i.e. Guilty gear) it would seem that something like the claw would be preferred. Especially if there are not enough buttons so that you could assign unused buttons to in game macros (Ie, throw, 3 K, etc). Have not played on a pad seriously for such a long time, but I remember this being a problem for Gief and Blanka players in ST during the SNES/Genesis days. Things have come a long way since then.
If you're gonna play a game meant for stick, yeah. When it comes to MKX though, no.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
They're designed for comfort, not to be used just like an arcade stick, in which case you'd get one instead..
The fightpads replicate an arcade stick with 6 face buttons, and are designed to be used as such. The difference being the joystick of course and the size of the controller and buttons. You can of course use your thumbs for the buttons, which is why there is a right shoulder button.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
The fightpads replicate an arcade stick with 6 face buttons, and are designed to be used as such. The difference being the joystick of course and the size of the controller and buttons. You can of course use your thumbs for the buttons, which is why there is a right shoulder button.
The buttons being like that does not mean you should be playing using claw. Depending on the game you switch styles.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The buttons being like that does not mean you should be playing using claw. Depending on the game you switch styles.
You should use it however you want. That doesn't change the fact that it was designed to be used like an arcade stick. Don't really understand what you're trying to argue here, since we're saying the same thing.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
You should use it however you want. That doesn't change the fact that it was designed to be used like an arcade stick. Don't really understand what you're trying to argue here, since we're saying the same thing.
Do you know if they ussually make the buttons click more on these?
A friend suggested I get the new hori pad for a couple reasons and it seems like it would work way better for me.. If the button on these clicked or gave more feedback then normal that would put it over the top IMO...
Also claw style is how I play most games.. Whether I want to or not...

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
LETS TAKE THE PCB AND PUT THEM IN OUR ARCADE STICKS
It really depends on how the signals are set on this pcb to determine if these would be good pcbs for dual mods. Last gen version of this pad had all the signals set to high (the opposite of what most pcbs are set to), this made dual mods difficult because each signal had to be inverted otherwise when connected to another pcb, all the buttons would appear to be pressed. That made them kind of useless for dual mods. They were ok for stand alone pcbs.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Do these not have the chat/headphone jack?!
On xbox one all third party controllers are not compatable with a head set. Only MS 1st party controllers are. For PS4, I have not seen a third part controller support the chat function either, but don't know if its a rule like for xbox one controllers. But for PS4 it does not matter if the controller supports a head seat because for PS4 sticks, you can use an Audio USB adapter or a USB headset directly plugged into the ps4.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Do these not have the chat/headphone jack?!
Damn you know what, I didn't even think about that for the XBONE. I wonder if you can use the p1/p2 trick where you're signed in with 2 controllers. Man, I honestly didn't even think of that until I read your reply. :(