What's new

PDP's breakdown of the new Mortal Kombat X fight pad

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Don't care, I'm betting anything that PS4 will be region locked.
Tsk Tsk Tsk. You never learn. You neeeever listen to my advice. When have I ever been wrong about anything? Now if you'll excuse me, I have to prep my PS4 for Bloodborne. Gonna have a candle lit dinner with the game after the midnight release.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Already pre-ordered one for the XBONE, now gotta get one for PS4. Can't wait!

I've never learned so much!

In all seriousness; I already pre-ordered mine because, even if I don't end up using it very much, I have an affinity for MK paraphernalia and this pad just looks too slick!

Plop

Noob
Seems a bit weird to have the r1 and r2 aaaaaall the way over there. I can't see the pros of that at all

Plop

Noob
What do you mean?
I'm assuming the r1 and r2 buttons will be throw and Interactable buttons (you can change them I know). Things like jk-air throw would be a lot harder to do with the throw button not being on the shoulder. I'm just thinking about things like that.
I can't think of any pros to those buttons being on the far side of the pad

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm assuming the r1 and r2 buttons will be throw and Interactable buttons (you can change them I know). Things like jk-air throw would be a lot harder to do with the throw button not being on the shoulder. I'm just thinking about things like that.
I can't think of any pros to those buttons being on the far side of the pad
The fightpads are designed to be used like an arcade stick. Meaning, you use your fingers for the face buttons not your thumbs. You might think the buttons are too small, but they are not, they are perfectly sized in my opinion.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
This'll sound like a really stupid question, but with pads like this, do people rest the right side on the leg when they play? Or is holding it in your left hand enough to support it? Does that make sense?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This'll sound like a really stupid question, but with pads like this, do people rest the right side on the leg when they play? Or is holding it in your left hand enough to support it? Does that make sense?
I usually put the right side down on my lap, just like I would an arcade stick, but hold the left side like a regular controller. I literally use it as half a controller, half an arcade stick. Best of both worlds, imo.

EDIT: That said, you don't need much support since it's so light, so keep that in mind.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I usually put the right side down on my lap, just like I would an arcade stick, but hold the left side like a regular controller. I literally use it as half a controller, half an arcade stick. Best of both worlds, imo.

EDIT: That said, you don't need much support since it's so light, so keep that in mind.
Yeah in my head that's exactly how I would use it so was wondering if it was meant for that. What benefit do you feel a pad like this has over a stick?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yeah in my head that's exactly how I would use it so was wondering if it was meant for that. What benefit do you feel a pad like this has over a stick?
For me, I never could quite get used to the joy stick on an arcade stick. But I absolutely loved the buttons. I also believe a d-pad is better for MK than a joystick, so that's also a plus. In general though, it's all about preference.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
For me, I never could quite get used to the joy stick on an arcade stick. But I absolutely loved the buttons. I also believe a d-pad is better for MK than a joystick, so that's also a plus. In general though, it's all about preference.
True, thank you. I've been thinking the same with stick, like it almost feels like my movement isn't natural after being used to d-pads for years. I may have to try one of these out if it turns out they don't break after a week.

I'm getting two of these for PS4/XONE, mainly so I can have that congruency when I switch between consoles. I'm an XONE person, and tournament standard will likely often by PS4. So it will be nice to be able to switch consoles and still have familiar controls.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm getting two of these for PS4/XONE, mainly so I can have that congruency when I switch between consoles. I'm an XONE person, and tournament standard will likely often by PS4. So it will be nice to be able to switch consoles and still have familiar controls.
Yup, I'm doing the same. I was going to dual mod the XBONE fightpad so I can use it on PS4, but I dunno how to do that and to pay someone would likely cost more than $50 anyway, might as well just get a PS4 one. But, I'm gonna wait to test the quality before I get one for the PS4.

Crimzon-ET

Got Face Huggers?
I am definitely looking into getting one these PDP MKX Fight Pads for tournaments. However I would still like to see a consumer review of them and the Hori Fight Pad before I make a purchase.

d3v

SRK
Snes dpad is connected and probably the best one ever made. DualShock 4 is quite bad for fighting games.
I know a few top players who'd disagree. Wolfkrone (who's been singing the praises ever since USFIV for PS4 was announced) being one of them, and he plays Viper in SFIV.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Holy shit I never knew anyone actually used their fingers on these arcade stick style. I just use my thumbs still. Really not much of a stretch at all.