What's new

PDP MKX Fight Pad Review by PL

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
That it would be used mostly in tourney and there is no need for a mic port there.
There's no chance in hell that's true when tournament players make up a literal fraction of the consumer base for these sorts of products. Plus most tourny players use headsets anyway and they won't be able to if they plan on having game sound come through it, so no.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
There's no chance in hell that's true when tournament players make up a literal fraction of the consumer base for these sorts of products. Plus most tourny players use headsets anyway and they won't be able to if they plan on having game sound come through it, so no.
It is true, and the sound doesn't need to come through the controller, so everyone can still use a headset, they just can't chat while using the controller. I'm sure there will be work arounds though, like P2 controller.

mdsfx

Noob
  • Another gripe is that he has to release forward before jumping to neutral jump
WTF? That's a huge oversight and deal-breaker. Does no one else see this as a huge issue???

EDIT: I misread the notes regarding a neutral jump

Last edited:

mdsfx

Noob
No, since I always go back to neutral before neutral jumping anyway
So you are holding forward, walking towards your opponent and decide to jump towards them... You're telling me at that point you take the time to go back to a neutral state before jumping? Why waste the time?

EDIT: I misread the notes regarding a neutral jump

Last edited:

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
So you are holding forward, walking towards your opponent and decide to jump... You're telling me at that point you take the time to go back to a neutral state before jumping towards them? Why waste the time?
It's something I don't have to think about. I literally take my finger off forward and then press up to neutral.
If you want to jump forward you hold forward and jump, you read the note wrong.

mdsfx

Noob
It's something I don't have to think about. I literally take my finger off forward and then press up to neutral.
If you want to jump forward you hold forward and jump, you read the note wrong.
Ohhhh... GOT IT. Yeah, I did read that wrong. Thanks for clarifying.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I preorder the PDP and I really don't care if it has a mic our not. I have my DS4 for all that.

mdsfx

Noob
Hmm, at this point the only thing holding me back is the mic port for playing at home. I suppose I could always use the mic port on my other Xbox one controller, but if I'm playing on 360 I dont have a solution for playing online with friends.

Might still give it a go though.

ruff321

Noob
Maybe I'm alone in this but I actually like the XB1 controller. I use it for KI and it works great...at least for me.
Hey whatever works for you man. Everyone has their own preference when it comes to controllers and what's important is that you're comfortable using it.

As for why FC4 is better, for starters with the FC4 you have 4 shoulder buttons instead of two(L1 L2 R1 R2). There's also an option that lets you have all of the button controls on one side of the controller so that you don't have to use the L1 and L2 buttons which I find tremendously useful.

That and the fact that I didn't have good experiences with the PDP controllers(they tend to break down after a month of usage) is why I prefer the FC4.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Hey whatever works for you man. Everyone has their own preference when it comes to controllers and what's important is that you're comfortable using it.

As for why FC4 is better, for starters with the FC4 you have 4 shoulder buttons instead of two(L1 L2 R1 R2). There's also an option that lets you have all of the button controls on one side of the controller so that you don't have to use the L1 and L2 buttons which I find tremendously useful.

That and the fact that I didn't have good experiences with the PDP controllers(they tend to break down after a month of usage) is why I prefer the FC4.
I heard the MKX fightpad is designed after the Smash fight pad from PDP. I heard nothing but good reviews from the Wii fightpad from PDP.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
The more & more I search for a wireless headset for XB1 the more it appears that you need a "chat adapter" which plugs intoooo...guess what...the mic port.

Haha...so it seems more than likely that even if you do buy a wireless headset for the XB1 to use with the PDP Fightpad you still need a mic port.

WOW...PDP...this is 2015 and you would make such an egregious error like that. Shame on you and you deserve any financial kick in the balls coming your way. You really should be forced to fix it.

No tag mode in MK X & now this...uhhhh...I'm out!!!! :mad:

Crimzon-ET

Got Face Huggers?
@Perfect Legend
Thanks for doing a review on the PDF MKX Fight Pad and for posting it.

I am glad to hear from a tournament player what the positive points are of the PDP MKX Fight Pad. I already pre ordered mine for the Xbox One and PS4. I was considering getting a Hori Fight Commander for tournaments but since I have MKX on Xbox One I got the PS4 PDP MKX Fight Pad for consistency reasons.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
It is true, and the sound doesn't need to come through the controller, so everyone can still use a headset, they just can't chat while using the controller. I'm sure there will be work arounds though, like P2 controller.
The layout and functionality of the controller was definitely designed with tournament players in mind but they didn't put the stamp on the product thinking that's the only demographic they'll ever need to actually sell these to. Including a mic port wouldn't hurt its tournament playability, whereas leaving one out will obviously hurt their overall consumer base, as made evident by multiple people's posts in this thread alone already. They fucked up. I sure do hope there are good workarounds like you suggest but it's a real shame we'll need them.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
This review has me considering to cancel my order and just wait for the Hori ps4 April 30th... That fact it jumps on it own sometimes is kinda horrible..