What's new

PC Version - General Discussion Thread

portent

Noob
The other machines have less space from SSD and has lower stuff than the two. You'll need more space for the games you might want to install. If you check here, you'll see that 1060 is better than 1050Ti.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-1060-vs-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti

However, if you compare the 1060 to this 1070, you'll see that the 1070 is greater than the previous:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-1070-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-1060

Why? You'll want to have your mind at ease when you wnat to play future games that will possibly want more than 6GB GPU RAM. Some games, like Son or Rome and The Witcher II, are depending solely on GPU. Most of the games depend on both (GPU and CPU). In the past, they used to depend on RAM alone to be smooth. The circle of life for those GPUs are 5 years at most, so...

What you see from those markets are just the 1050 to 1060 GPU clearance. They want to get rid of them.
Yeah, I realized that the ones I would be picking from are just clearance. I looked up the prices of the 1070's, and most are ranging $200-400 more than my budget. So I'm stuck with a 1060 for now. Theoretically, 4 years gets me almost to the end of the generation though, if we still consider a gaming generation 10 years, right? Then I'm just going to have to lower my settings a bit to keep up with some newer games at that point.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234830

Monsterous ASUS on sale this week right in your budget. Stick with Asus or Lenovo. That link is my reccommendation.
Wow, ok, that's a great machine. Specs seem similar to the MSI I mentioned. My last machine was an MSI and it still plays MKXL and INJ2 on absolute lowest settings at 60fps. Aside from personal preference, any reason to go with Asus over MSI?

Thanks for your help guys.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Wow, ok, that's a great machine. Specs seem similar to the MSI I mentioned. My last machine was an MSI and it still plays MKXL and INJ2 on absolute lowest settings at 60fps. Aside from personal preference, any reason to go with Asus over MSI?

Thanks for your help guys.
I guess just personal experience, anytime I've reccommended an MSI, I've seen issues. I'm sure 95% of the time they are just fine like every other laptop though.

Immortal

Blind justice....
@Tanno @Mikemetroid

Hey everyone, I'm buying a gaming laptop in a few days, so I'm looking for some input. Been on the go more often recently so I've been away from my consoles so it's finally time to invest in one. I'm not rich and I can't afford a top tier rig, but I have about $1200 maybe $1300 to spend.

I've narrowed my choices down to these.
MSI GP62VRX Leopard Pro 694
http://www.microcenter.com/product/479018/GP62VRX_Leopard_Pro-694_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

Asus ROG Strix GL502VM
https://www.amazon.com/GL502VM-G-SYNC-Gaming-Laptop-i7-7700HQ/dp/B01MS14CQH/ref=as_at?imprToken=irsA2tya3ZmNQWXYz2Y2xg&slotNum=5&SubscriptionId=AKIAJY5U5OJEBOZ5DUAA&tag=pcvewp-20&linkCode=alb&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01MS14CQH

Lenovo Legion Y720
http://www.microcenter.com/product/479048/Legion_Y720_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

Lenovo Legion Y520
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Legion-Y520-i5-7300HQ-80WK00FHUS/dp/B06WVMJ713/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1511885227&sr=1-4&keywords=Lenovo+Legion+Y720

A couple quick questions.

Is it worth the upgrade and the price jump to get the Lenovo Y720 over the Y520? I'm looking for a laptop that will get me through this generation of games. Doesn't have to be ultra quality, though that would be nice, but High settings are definitely wanted. If I can get Ultra on games like MKXL, Injustice 2, RE7, Killer Instinct, SFV, Marvel that would be awesome, but again not completely necessary. I'm willing to drop the extra cash, but please, anyone who can give advice, I appreciate it.
There is a significant performance gain coming from GTX 1050 TI GPU vs GTX 1060 in most games. The first one will get medium to high settings in most games the second will give you ultra settings in most games (talking about FullHD here, since all of above have FullHD display).

Then there is the i5 vs i7 which isn't such big deal, thou it will give you some performance boost in certain (more CPU heavy) titles.

Out of those 3, Asus has a G-Sync panel which is great but if you intend on playing only fighting games where you need to have constant 60 fps then it doesn't matter, otherwise its nice to have.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
There is a significant performance gain coming from GTX 1050 TI GPU vs GTX 1060 in most games. The first one will get medium to high settings in most games the second will give you ultra settings in most games (talking about FullHD here, since all of above have FullHD display).

Then there is the i5 vs i7 which isn't such big deal, thou it will give you some performance boost in certain (more CPU heavy) titles.

Out of those 3, Asus has a G-Sync panel which is great but if you intend on playing only fighting games where you need to have constant 60 fps then it doesn't matter, otherwise its nice to have.
i5 vs i7 is a big deal for laptops iirc.

Immortal

Blind justice....
i5 vs i7 is a big deal for laptops iirc.
Not in this case, coz all of those have HQ version of processors meaning all of those are almost the same as desktop version (minus slower clock / turbo clock) so that i5 has 4 cores like the desktop version unlike the MQ / LE versions for laptops which have only 2 cores and are more like desktop i3. The same goes for that i7 here, it has normal 4 cores / 8 threads just like the desktop i7 7700, just lower clocks which isn't a big deal.

portent

Noob
@Mikemetroid @Tanno @Immortal I dediced to go with the MSI. The Asus is beautiful, but in terms of portability, I think I'll be happier with the 15" model plus the MSI has a built in Supermulti DVD in case I want to watch a few movies.

I read some reviews on them and I ruled out the Lenovo due to the reviews saying the screen was kinda dull, and the hinge had the most propensity for breaking.

The Asus is amazing and the specs are almost identical to the MSI, but I'm getting the MSI b/c it's smaller.

Thanks again guys!

portent

Noob
@Mikemetroid @Tanno @Immortal

One last question for you kind gentlemen. I found a comparable MSI that I'm interested in, no Supermulti DVD, oh well, but it's also $100 less. The only other major change I can see is the processor.

On the Leopard Pro model, it's
CPU Speed 7700HQ (2.80GHz)
Level 3 Cache 6MB
FSB DMI3 8GT/s
Turbo Boost Speed Up to 3.8GHz

On the GL62X model, which seems to be identical save for DVD
Level 3 Cache 6MB
FSB DMI 8GT/s

I've highlighted the difference. One is DMI, the other is DMI3. Is this something I need to be concerned with based on the specs of the machine? Likewise, is it worth the $100 to go from DMI to DMI3? Thanks

Last edited:

Raider

Noob
It's been 2 weeks and still no Hellboy or patch. It doesn't bode well for the future DLC and updates...

I am not sure why did they release the game on PC now and like this.

Immortal

Blind justice....
@Mikemetroid @Tanno @Immortal

One last question for you kind gentlemen. I found a comparable MSI that I'm interested in, no Supermulti DVD, oh well, but it's also $100 less. The only other major change I can see is the processor.

On the Leopard Pro model, it's
Level 3 Cache 6MB
FSB DMI3 8GT/s

On the GL62X model, which seems to be identical save for DVD
Level 3 Cache 6MB
FSB DMI 8GT/s

I've highlighted the difference. One is DMI, the other is DMI3. Is this something I need to be concerned with based on the specs of the machine? Likewise, is it worth the $100 to go from DMI to DMI3? Thanks
Nope, its not a factor at all. Go with whatever is cheaper / suits you better.

It's been 2 weeks and still no Hellboy or patch. It doesn't bode well for the future DLC and updates...

You can write your complaints to WB directly. Everything is waiting for WB "go ahead". On the QLOC side Hellboy patch was ready week ago, same as patch, even patches (2) addressing issues which low percentage of people are experiencing.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.

Don't buy WB fighting games on PC, it took me a couple games but I learned my lesson.

Raider

Noob
@Immortal How do you have all this info? Why would WB do that? I mean if patch is ready why would WB wait with release for no reason?

Also we all know that writing to WB will accomplish nothing.

Thanks for the info.

@Sutter Pain PC is my only option. And i am not completely disappointed and unhappy with my Injustice 2 purchase. I just don't understand some things and lack of communication and support from WB. That's all.

Immortal

Blind justice....
@Immortal How do you have all this info? Why would WB do that? I mean if patch is ready why would WB wait with release for no reason?

Also we all know that writing to WB will accomplish nothing.

Thanks for the info.
Working in the industry, biggest company making games here (Poland), got many friends working at QLOC. And if you expect logic in WB decisions then you should... like rethink that... hard.

And i was sarcastic with you or anybody else writing to them directly, it would be a gigantic waste of time, obviously.

Raider

Noob
InjusticeFR on FB is saying that they "hope to release Hellboy in few weeks." LMAO, this can't be real!

From Google translate:

-We hope to make Hellboy available within a few weeks, followed by Atom shortly thereafter. Thank you for your patience.

-Hello Adrien. Hellboy should arrive on PC in a few weeks, followed by Atom. Thank you for your patience !

Is this a joke??

TurboTaco

Mexican street vendor
I can't believe people bought the PC version of this game. Did you's learn nothing from MKX. NRS doesn't care about PC, they just released it to make more money.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I can't believe people bought the PC version of this game. Did you's learn nothing from MKX. NRS doesn't care about PC, they just released it to make more money.
It's the other way around. It's WB that doesn't care about PC. Why? Look at the Batman game series in PC.

Raider

Noob
It's like MKX disaster is repeating all over again...
I can't believe that ppl have to beg again, to have a parity with consoles. It's not like they released PC version at the same time. They had 6 months! They released it 6 months later!

i hate to have my first post been about negativity since my break aka ban. but god damn i guess im a slow learner i bought the PC ultimate editition wich is in my opinion the best version of the game but then we are "pc gamers" two version behind console i mean i only go to to locals tourney not like ill be winning evo but still i would like to play the current version of the game on my pc not forced to use my ps4.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Do people really think any big enough company does anything for reasons other than money? Sigh.

And yeah, I have. It's not without its issues, but it's pretty good for what it is.

It's the other way around. It's WB that doesn't care about PC. Why? Look at the Batman game series in PC.
What about it? Aside from poorly adapted interface in Asylum and issues at launch with Knight (which were fixed a long, long time ago), the series is fine. In fact, I'd say that the City is an example of how you do the multiplatform thing.

It's like MKX disaster is repeating all over again...
I can't believe that ppl have to beg again, to have a parity with consoles. It's not like they released PC version at the same time. They had 6 months! They released it 6 months later!
It's not like they are sitting there halting releases until they think we've been begging enough.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
That means either update is about to land, or, well...

Either way that probably means NRS are done patching the game too.