What's new

PC/Steam Version - Performance, Technical and General Discussion Thread

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I was so frustrated with hitching online that I slowly rebuilt my entire computer and home network trying to find improvements. Sometimes I thought it was me and sometimes I had to wonder if it was other people being incapable of noticing they weren't actually running smoothly. Sometimes it ran great, and sometimes not. Eventually it was working well enough I stopped caring as much and just accepted the lot.

The rollback stuff adds some murky stuff to figuring it out because it puts more stress on the system online doing the rollbacks that it doesn't have to pay a cost for in single player. But on the flip side, you could also have a slower system on the other end of the line and your faster system has to keep injecting pauses to let them sync back up meaning it sucks to be the better system.
Yeah, I believe it is the rollback implementation. On the other hand I played plenty gg+r and KI, power rangers and sg and never noticed it even in the slightest. It could also be the combination of both other connection and shitty implementation of rollback on pc. I watch my fps counter like a fucking hawk. This would happen in all configuration of settings I tried.

I built a whole new rig but I am not gonna install mk11 just to see if it fixed the issue the game is dead to me lol. I just hope we have no problems with strive in that department.

Dr. Cheesesteak

pygophile and podophile
Yes it's been like that since forever. Just save them again right after, should work.
Really? I mean, I guess I haven't made a variation since Aftermath, but I don't remember this happening. At least not this frequently. Though it seems to fluctuate...does it like 3 outta 4 times, then not all for 20 times. Oh well, just a minor nuisance, anyway. Thanks. =D

edit:
Question that google isn't helping me w/. As I'm doing some kustoms, I'm wondering are mid projectiles as valuable as they once were?

Last edited:

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Question that google isn't helping me w/. As I'm doing some kustoms, I'm wondering are mid projectiles as valuable as they once were?
Mid projectiles can be the key to winning many matchups. You have to deal with them, since you can't just turtle up and neutral crouch from full screen, which is great against characters who like to get a life lead and run away. However, this also applies to low projectiles and the odd overhead projectile; basically anything that can't just be neutral-crouched to completely beat it out.

Mid projectiles can be the key to winning many matchups. You have to deal with them, since you can't just turtle up and neutral crouch from full screen, which is great against characters who like to get a life lead and run away. However, this also applies to low projectiles and the odd overhead projectile; basically anything that can't just be neutral-crouched to completely beat it out.
I can't believe how badly I was struggling against your mid projectiles in our set :confused:!

Dr. Cheesesteak

pygophile and podophile
Thanks, good to know! But...not good for trying to narrow down what abilities I want to use for Nightwolf :(

Dr. Cheesesteak

pygophile and podophile
Apparently his most common used abilities in the Pro Competition are:

Nightwolf (56)

• Rising Tomahawk 51
  • Tomahawk Swing 36
  • Hanna's Wrath 16
  • Lightning Arrow 8
  • Moonfall 5
Ohh, interesting, thanks. Where can i see those stats?

And yes, I like 3 of those, and Grappling Stalker for the unblockable 22throw :oops: decisions decisions.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm having a very odd issue that just started today. My game is running like garbage. Even in offline practice mode, just walking left or right causes it to stutter for a frame or 2 every couple of seconds. I thought my internet was jacked up because I keep getting very soilid connections but the actual match will play like garbage, my inputs get eaten, and it's just not playable.

Here's where it gets weird. I've been messing with the graphics settings, and no matter what, when I run a benchmark, it dips down to about 40fps every 2 or 3 seconds in a constant pattern, regardless of what is happening on screen and regardless of my graphics settings. Even setting everything to minimum will get me a constant 60fps that continually dips down to 40fps every 2 or 3 seconds.

I'm on AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 3700mhz with a Radeon RX 580 video card.

Any advice?

[edit]

I restarted the game, fully cleaned my computer with Advanced Systemcare, and restarted my computer. Now the repeating 40fps issue is gone, but the game is still running poorly. Even on min settings, I hit 8fps at one point during the benchmark. If I run autoconfig, it puts me on maximum settings.

[more edit]

It seems to be working now. I ran autoconfig, which set everything to max settings, but when I ran the benchmark this time, I got a consistent 59-60fps. Fingers crossed it's finally fixed.

Last edited:

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
For some reason there feels like there’s input delay for me for the pc version.

I jumped back on console just to test it and v sync isn’t on for me in the pc version…weird

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I'm having a very odd issue that just started today. My game is running like garbage. Even in offline practice mode, just walking left or right causes it to stutter for a frame or 2 every couple of seconds. I thought my internet was jacked up because I keep getting very soilid connections but the actual match will play like garbage, my inputs get eaten, and it's just not playable.

Here's where it gets weird. I've been messing with the graphics settings, and no matter what, when I run a benchmark, it dips down to about 40fps every 2 or 3 seconds in a constant pattern, regardless of what is happening on screen and regardless of my graphics settings. Even setting everything to minimum will get me a constant 60fps that continually dips down to 40fps every 2 or 3 seconds.

I'm on AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 3700mhz with a Radeon RX 580 video card.

Any advice?

[edit]

I restarted the game, fully cleaned my computer with Advanced Systemcare, and restarted my computer. Now the repeating 40fps issue is gone, but the game is still running poorly. Even on min settings, I hit 8fps at one point during the benchmark. If I run autoconfig, it puts me on maximum settings.

[more edit]

It seems to be working now. I ran autoconfig, which set everything to max settings, but when I ran the benchmark this time, I got a consistent 59-60fps. Fingers crossed it's finally fixed.
Check your heat temps. Fluctuating frames like that are classic down throttling due to high heat on the cpu or gpu.

Last edited:

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
For some reason there feels like there’s input delay for me for the pc version.

I jumped back on console just to test it and v sync isn’t on for me in the pc version…weird
I could never tell, but basically every pro I've seen try the PC version has said it feels noticeably more responsive than console, so I'm guessing that shouldn't be unless there is something else besides the game causing it.

One thing I did run into, was people saying that steam's built in controller mapping software would add a fair amount of lag, which I thought I would never notice until I actually turned it off.

I'd suggest making sure you force Properties > Controller and try "Disable Steam Input" if it's on. MK11 hasn't need Steam's help to get any of the 4-5 controller types I've used working.

That would be my best and only guess outside of monitor differences.

I can't offer much help, but I did want to chime in a little bit from what I've gathered on my own.

Using USB 3.0 instead of 2.0 solves the delay issue (on MK9)
Using a PS2 converter instead of a Dualshock 4 also has less delay (for MK9. i've never tested it with MK11)
Do not gameshare your account with anyone while playing MK11.

I'll try the solution by Gooberking and see if that helps. Thanks for that.

The lag can be measured, by letting go of down and pressing square. If your character does a d1, you have delay.

I continue to use USB 2.0 for MK11, regardless of the lag, as i've grown more accustomed to it over time.
And despite my weird taste, I have found (through practice mode only), that interrupting pressure definitely feels more responsive. But i think the less responsive claims from others may come from them playing online.

I continue to use PS2 converter/USB 3.0 for MK9.

Hope this helps at least someone. And good to know I'm not the only one who's noticed the delay on MK11 PC.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
That reminds me of the known extra delay a ds4 pad has when wired. I think it goes from like 2ms to 11ms or something. So if a ds4 is being used that is a consideration.

It's backwards but DS4's should only be used with Bluetooth, not wired

I'd suggest making sure you force Properties > Controller and try "Disable Steam Input" if it's on. MK11 hasn't need Steam's help to get any of the 4-5 controller types I've used working.
Sorry, where do I find this? In Steam, I go to Steam>Settings>Controller, but then I can't find the "Disable Steam Input" check box.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Sorry, where do I find this? In Steam, I go to Steam>Settings>Controller, but then I can't find the "Disable Steam Input" check box.
there are two layers to it. There's the general settings then each game can have its own overrides. So if controller support is on in general, you can turn it off just for MK or whatever fighting game.

You can use the name of the game in the library list, and I think the gear icon on the game's page will get you there too.

The games will see your controller as a new controller which means setting buttons up. I noticed I didn't do it for GBVS or Strive yet and they were a little annoying on how they dealt with that, but I think mk11 deals with new controllers pretty well from what I remember.

there are two layers to it. There's the general settings then each game can have its own overrides. So if controller support is on in general, you can turn it off just for MK or whatever fighting game.

You can use the name of the game in the library list, and I think the gear icon on the game's page will get you there too.

The games will see your controller as a new controller which means setting buttons up. I noticed I didn't do it for GBVS or Strive yet and they were a little annoying on how they dealt with that, but I think mk11 deals with new controllers pretty well from what I remember.
Okay, the gear icon from the game's page got me there. It shows "Use Default Settings" for me.

BanTheTesters

I've never felt a PC delay. If anything I've found it better...mind you I normally play on a 42" oldschool sharp flat screen...the asus is much better on pc lol
I’m playing on a 24 inch. I’ll have to go back and retest it but I didn’t notice any delay for mkx on pc

BanTheTesters

I could never tell, but basically every pro I've seen try the PC version has said it feels noticeably more responsive than console, so I'm guessing that shouldn't be unless there is something else besides the game causing it.

One thing I did run into, was people saying that steam's built in controller mapping software would add a fair amount of lag, which I thought I would never notice until I actually turned it off.

That would be my best and only guess outside of monitor differences.
I’m playing on a 24 inch monitor.
I’ll give the steam input a shot though thanks.