What's new

PC/Steam Version - Performance, Technical and General Discussion Thread

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
It wasn't meant to change that though. The hotfix was meant to correct the performance issues introduced by Patch 5 (May 31st patch).
I don't think it did? My machine is pretty good (RTX 2080, i7 7700K, etc.) So the machine powers through the problems by brute force. But they are still there. Where the Krypt did load and start at max FPS, now there is a noticeable ramp up period.

Something I've noticed since launch and never really spoke up about nor have seen anyone else do so is that I have frame drops when loading in effects or models for the first time in a match, but no longer with that specific model or effect after that. Things like Scorpion's fire dash or Kotal Kahn turning into a cat or anything from Cetrion or Geras involving elements or sand. I won't claim to be particularly knowledgeable about PCs, but this indicates to me that the models/effects are not loaded during the actual loading screen and are only loaded when first used, which seems like a really poor way of doing things. Unless I'm mistaken about something, it'd be nice to see that changed in the future. This also really messes with the validity of the benchmark, which varies drastically in performance with how much fire and ice or krushing blows the characters use. That could presumably be remedied by scripting the fight to guarantee those effects occur.

Last edited:
@alexbib Out of curiosity, what are your system specs?

@Enexemander It seems to have for some, but not for others. For me, I've tested more, and actually (unrelated) formatted and cleaned installed everything yesterday. I'm now running a clean install of Windows 10 Home May 2019 Update, and a complete clean install of Mortal Kombat 11, so for me at least, there's no question as to what's going on performance-wise, no chance of driver conflicts, out-of-date items, corrupted files, etc.

For me, I can now run that game at 59 to 60 FPS with nVidia Share running. This was not possible post-Patch 5; I would get 45 FPS at best and it would never improve beyond that. It also now takes me two runs of the Benchmark, as opposed to three, to properly get the game's frame rate going. It used to be 25 FPS, then 45 FPS then 59-60 FPS, now it's nearly 60 FPS right from the get-go, but still not at the optimal performance I had pre-Patch 5.

There are still frame drops for several seconds at the start of some stages, like Kotal Kahn's Kolliseum and definitely in Shinnok's Bone Temple.

Interestingly, post-Patch 5, I've noticed significantly less artificating going on, which was increased substantially by Patch 4.

I did a short video showing my system performance, and the frame hiccups on Kotal Kahn's Kolliseum, which I'll be sending to WB Support tonight. You can check it out here if you'd like.

@Gaxkang Apparently Online is a mess for consoles as well at the moment, at least PlayStation 4. Something to do with the last patch for them as well, and apparently a complete re-install of the game is their fix, but people are refusing to do that and demanding a patch instead at last check.

@GLoRToR Not for me, at least not at this time.

Of course, my experiences might not be the same as yours. I still strongly enourage everyone to reach out to WB Support, open those tickets, provide them the info they need so it can be passed on to QLOC. The more legit info they have, the better they can hopefully patch things for various systems.

Gaxkang

Banned
Something I've noticed since launch and never really spoke up about nor have seen anyone else do so is that I have frame drops when loading in effects or models for the first time in a match, but no longer with that specific model or effect after that. Things like Scorpion's fire dash or Kotal Kahn turning into a cat or anything from Cetrion or Geras involving elements or sand. I won't claim to be particularly knowledgeable about PCs, but his indicates to me that the models/effects are not loaded during the actual loading screen and are only loaded when first used, which seems like a really poor way of doing things. Unless I'm mistaken about something, it'd be nice to see that changed in the future. This also really messes with the validity of the benchmark, which varies drastically in performance with how much fire and ice or krushing blows the characters use. That could presumably be remedied by scripting the fight to guarantee those effects occur.
Oooh yeah, I see that all time when I boot the game up. It's like you say, like various moves/animations still need to be loaded for the first time in a fight.

I also have to do at least one fight offline because it's like the very first fight after booting up takes longer to load, and I if I do an online fight first instead, it will take too long and annoy someone so they leave.

I've sent the following update to WB Support. Hopefully they forward this along to the developers and helps them somewhat in their patching process:

Thank you kindly for forwarding my QoL notes along to the developers, much appreciated! A Hotfix to address the performance issues caused by Patch 5 was released on Jun. 6th, as I’m sure you’re aware, and it’s an excellent step in the right direction. Performance has improved greatly for me, though it’s not quite where it was pre-Patch 5.

You can refer to the below exchanges to see how things were for me post-Patch 5, the only thing I forgot to mention was that at the time, I could not play the game with nVidia Share active. When it was, the best frame rate I could get in the Benchmark was 45 FPS average, and it would not improve. Now, post-Hotfix, I can run nVidia Share and once again get an average of 59 to 60 FPS. Instead of needing to run the Benchmark three or more times to get to 60 FPS, I can now do so in two, and it’s actually still very good performance right from the get-go. There are still frame drops occurring at the beginning of play on some Stages though. I’ve noticed this on “Kotal Kahn’s Kolliseum,” and even more so on “Shinnok’s Bone Temple.”

Now that I can use nVidia Share again, I actually recorded a short video showing my in-game PC Video configuration, and then two runs of the Benchmark to demonstrate exactly what’s currently happening. I close the video with a quick Training example on “Kotal Kahn’s Kolliseum” to show the frame drops very early into play on the stage. You can view the video here.

Since Patch 5, one good thing I’ve noticed is a significant decrease in the artifacting that’s occurring in the game. In this video here, on Goro’s Lair, I was able to capture some of it during Kitana’s post-Fatality. Note this video also shows the bug where characters do not move their mouths on their first line in Intros when “Menu and Special Moves 60 FPS Mode” is “On.”

For the Krypt, and the crash to desktop issues I was experiencing, I tested extensively today, and with “Krypt 60 FPS Mode” “On,” I was able to run around the Krypt for 16 minutes before it crashed to desktop. I was not doing anything special or interacting with anything in the Krypt at this time, simply running around. I relaunched the game and turned “Off” “Krypt 60 FPS Mode,” and I was able to play for exactly 40 minutes without a crash to desktop. At that point I did have my first ever “server connection” issue and the game dropped me back to the Main Menu, but that’s a completely different thing and I’m not concerned over it. Note there were FPS issues at 60 FPS in the Krypt, but only minor hiccups here and there at 30 FPS.

I also formatted my PC and clean installed Windows 10 Home May 2019, as well as Mortal Kombat 11. So I’m testing all of this off of a completely clean install, all the current drivers, no corrupted files or driver conflicts possible. As such, please find an updated Msinfo.zip file attached, just in case.

If you could kindly review all the above, and forward along to the development team, that would be appreciated! In closing, I’m cutting and pasting my updated bug list below for reference. Updates will be bolded.

Major

- Updated: The Jun. 6th Hotfix greatly improved performance. I can now run the game at 60 FPS average almost immediately (the second run of the Benchmark clocks in at 60 FPS Average now), and I can also play with nVidia Share active, something not possible before the Hotfix post-Patch 5. Performance is not back to Pre-Patch 5 performance, however, but it is close. There are still frame drops present in the game, typically at the start of a match on a specific stage, notably “Kotal Kahn’s Koliseum” and “Shinnok’s Bone Temple.” A video demonstrating current performance can be found here. Original bug listing of this issue as follows:

Frame rate performance and drops introduced in gameplay. With the 05/31 patch, my game's frame rate in actual gameplay, according to the first Benchmark I ran after the patch install, dropped down to about 25 FPS average. A second run of the Benchmark shortly thereafter registered 45 FPS average. An immediate third run of the Benchmark registered 59 -60 FPS average. My Benchmark may remain at 59-60 FPS average on the game’s next boot up, or may drop back to about 25 FPS average requiring several runs of the Benchmark to resolve. While playing at the very start of a match, there might be some frame rate hiccups, though they're generally minor and have had limited impact on gameplay. They seem to resolve themselves in a few seconds (though they might take longer). There is no pattern to this that I can see, and it appears to be random.

Minor

- Merged and Updated: I’ve merged both Krypt issues into one minor bug. Crash to desktop only occurs in the Krypt now when “Krypt 60 FPS Mode” is “On;” I can play for about 15 minutes before a crash. Frame rate drops are also present. At 30 FPS, the Krypt is completely stable and 100% playable as it was pre-Patch 4, though there are minor FPS hiccups here and there; nothing serious. Original two bug listings of these issues as follows:

My regular Krypt crash-to-desktops may have been resolved with the 05/31 patch! I just spent about thirty minutes running around the Krypt without a single crash. I went all over the island, took the odd elevator, and even used "Esc" on my Keyboard to exit the Kollector's Store (which used to guarantee a crash) and no crash! Since I want to play/test more before confirming, I'll leave this bug listed for now. Original bug note as follows: Krypt regularly crashing to desktop. This was introduced with the 05/24 patch, and it does not seem to matter if it's at 30 FPS or 60 FPS. After the fourth crash, I verified my game's file integrity via the Steam Client, and I've been able to run around the Krypt for more than five minutes without a crash, so this may have solved the issue, but I need to test further.

Frame rate hiccups introduced in the Krypt. With the 05/31 patch, I've noticed some a large number of frame rate drops occurring in the Krypt. These appear to be random, as I've not noticed a pattern and have not been able to reproduce on demand. Since they don't affect my ability to playthrough the Krypt, and since frame drops are preferable to crash-to-desktops, I'm listing this as a "minor" and not a "major" bug. Note I'm playing with "Krypt 60 FPS Mode" Off.

- Updated: A video showing the 60 FPS Intro speaking bug can be found here. Original bug listing as follows:

In Character Intros, at 60 FPS, the first character to speak will not move their mouth. This occurs 100% of the time, and is a bug introduced with the 05/24 patch. On rare occasions, further dialogue will appear slightly out-of-sync. Note this bug only affects characters with lips. Characters like Baraka are unaffected and will always move their mouth.

- Updated: The artifacting bug is occurring much less since Patch 5. I was able to get a video of it, which can be found here. Original bug listing as follows:

On occasion, I'll see white or green artifacts pop up for a frame or so on-screen. This only occurs in a match, not menus, and the frequency seems to have increased with the 05/24 patch. I have not been able to reproduce on-demand, but I've been noticing it occurs more in Goro's Lair.

- Every so often, the Fatality music will not play when a Fatality is initiated. This seems to occur on any stage, and will also occur sometimes if the AI performs a Fatality. I’ve been able to confirm through others this bug occurs on console as well.

- On rare occasions, the Stage music seems to cut out completely on the “Prehistoric” Stage. I have not had this occur on any other background, including the other Hourglass ones.

- On very rare occasions, the Brutality music will not play, and your character will not say their verbal taunt after finishing a Brutality, despite doing their talking animation. This bug may have been caused by the 05/31 patch, as I have not experienced it prior and I've performed hundreds of Brutalities.

Nuisance/Quality of Life

- In order to skip watching intros, I now need to press "Y" as opposed to "A." This was a common thing in the previous two Mortal Kombat games, either on PC or console, as I remap my face buttons to 2,3,1,4. Since "3" is now mapped to "Y," I now have to press this button to skip intros. Ironically while in previous games, this bug was not a thing in Mortal Kombat 11 until the 05/24 patch.

- The game's default master volume is extremely low.

Thank you!

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I guess I've been pretty lucky. There was the occasional random crash when the game was new, but by in large, it's been rather uneventful technically for me. I'm not sure it's quite as butter smooth as it should be, but I don't think MKX or IJ2 were either (smooth as in totally steady fps.)

The only exception being one day (shortly before the june patch) where I suddenly started getting a whole bunch of mid match desyncs right after changing skins and gear. When I changed back to my previous look they stopped and I've not seen another one since. It was zero desyncs, to constant, to never again just by changing looks. Technically, I just changed defaults

I don't know if it would happen in the current patch if I tried the loadout again, but I haven't seen people mention it on the Steam forums and I did see @karaokelove struggling a couple of pages back. I figured it's worth mentioning JIC styles. You shouldn't have to change looks to make the game work, but it's an easy work around to try, and if it happens to get someone going then it's worth giving a go. IJ2 on PC did have gear specific issues as well. Mostly certain pieces would just crater performance, especially when equipping. It's not a stretch to think equipment could impact something somewhere.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Game is still running at 45-60 fps for me. Usually it'll run at 40-50 frames for the first 10 seconds of the game (midfight) then continue at 60 like nothing had happened. Some stages seem to be running worse and some better as well. My hardware is more than capable and I had no issues with the previous updates.. :(

Game is still running at 45-60 fps for me. Usually it'll run at 40-50 frames for the first 10 seconds of the game (midfight) then continue at 60 like nothing had happened. Some stages seem to be running worse and some better as well. My hardware is more than capable and I had no issues with the previous updates.. :(
Similar concept for me, save I'm in the high 50's at worst since the Hotfix. Prior to Patch 5 (May 31st), everything was roses for me in terms of actual gameplay. I had issues with Krypt crashing to desktop caused by Patch 4 a week prior, which ironically were fixed by the patch that damaged performance in the actual game!

@Gooberking Absolutely, this game is night and day compared to the launch of Mortal Kombat X. It's a shame the latest few patches have caused issues for so many. I'm really curious as to why.

Hopefully in another patch or so, they're able to resolve things.

i have 0 performance issue while fighting but in the krypt , its awlful stuttering madness.
i suspect the anti cheat causing this performance drops but from my research the devs are working on a DX12 build wich will improve greatly the performances since the game seems to be more cpu bound than gpu

i have i7-7700
gtx 1080 ti
32 gig of ram
and the game is installed on a evo extreme ssd

i have 0 performance issue while fighting but in the krypt , its awlful stuttering madness.
i suspect the anti cheat causing this performance drops but from my research the devs are working on a DX12 build wich will improve greatly the performances since the game seems to be more cpu bound than gpu

i have i7-7700
gtx 1080 ti
32 gig of ram
and the game is installed on a evo extreme ssd
Yup, you definitely shouldn't be having issues. Do you currently have "Krypt 60 FPS Mode" set to "On?" If so, do the issues persist if you disable that?

Also, where'd you hear a DirectX 12 version is in the works?

I just got the following reply from WB Support:

"Thank you for providing this detailed update. We are happy to hear that the latest hotfix has helped with the performance of the game.

I have reviewed the videos that you provided and can see the issues that you mentioned. As a result, we are more than happy to forward this additional information to the Game Team for further investigation and assist with making additional improvements to the game.

We apologize for any inconveniences that this may have caused and thank you for your patience."

This is excellent news, and exactly what I was hoping for. They can see the Benchmark/frame rate issues, they can see the character's lips not moving in 60 FPS intros, and they can see the artifacting that we've been talking about @deathstroke187 , and with my MSINFO provided, they know my system exceeds the recommended requirements for the game and they know these videos were made after a complete format and clean install of my PC.

Hopefully that helps them out a bit.

I just got the following reply from WB Support:

"Thank you for providing this detailed update. We are happy to hear that the latest hotfix has helped with the performance of the game.

I have reviewed the videos that you provided and can see the issues that you mentioned. As a result, we are more than happy to forward this additional information to the Game Team for further investigation and assist with making additional improvements to the game.

We apologize for any inconveniences that this may have caused and thank you for your patience."

This is excellent news, and exactly what I was hoping for. They can see the Benchmark/frame rate issues, they can see the character's lips not moving in 60 FPS intros, and they can see the artifacting that we've been talking about @deathstroke187 , and with my MSINFO provided, they know my system exceeds the recommended requirements for the game and they know these videos were made after a complete format and clean install of my PC.

Hopefully that helps them out a bit.
sorry for not replying about this before. im checking nvidia forums everyday about this issue nvidia are currently working on this issue.

2599980-Mortal Kombat 11 displaying random white flicker

(SOURCE)
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1119101/geforce-drivers/official-430-86-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-5-27-19-/

For those not aware, it seems the Windows 10 May 2019 Update resolves the low default sound issue. I removed the Sound Equalization Effect I used as a fix, and the sound is much improved.

My understanding is there's a Shang Tsung tower up on consoles? Ugh, I really hoped the days of being way behind on PC in the multiverse schedule in Injustice 2 were behind us.

Immortal

Blind justice....
My understanding is there's a Shang Tsung tower up on consoles? Ugh, I really hoped the days of being way behind on PC in the multiverse schedule in Injustice 2 were behind us.
No idea where that notion came from but it was clearly stated before the game was even released that PC and Switch will always be behind console ones for several hours to few days. This was confirmed by Paulo in an interview, once again before the game was released. So it's not like it wasn't known before or anybody tried to fool PC players.

I personally don't mind waiting a few hours to a few days for things, so long as they're done right and don't cause issues with the actual game.

No idea where that notion came from but it was clearly stated before the game was even released that PC and Switch will always be behind console ones for several hours to few days. This was confirmed by Paulo in an interview, once again before the game was released. So it's not like it wasn't known before or anybody tried to fool PC players.
The notion came from my foolish head :) Honestly, I didn't follow the game's coverage prior to launch very much, so I would have missed any quotes like that. I just bought it on Steam because I play most of my games on PC anyway, but I had the (unfounded) hope that since we were getting a simultaneous launch rather than the super delayed port months later, this was an indication the content schedule would be the same. But, alas...does this mean we're getting Shang himself a little later as well?

Raider

Noob
BTW. I find it kinda funny how playerbase went from 30+K in first week to around 4K players in less than two months. Yes, yes i know that playerbase for majority of the games is dropping as time is passing but this drop is just too drastic, too soon.

The notion came from my foolish head :) Honestly, I didn't follow the game's coverage prior to launch very much, so I would have missed any quotes like that. I just bought it on Steam because I play most of my games on PC anyway, but I had the (unfounded) hope that since we were getting a simultaneous launch rather than the super delayed port months later, this was an indication the content schedule would be the same. But, alas...does this mean we're getting Shang himself a little later as well?
I went off of my past experience with Mortal Kombat XL, after QLOC took over the port. So when buying the PC version, I was expecting patches and such to be a few days to a week behind the primary console versions. Looks like I've been more or less correct.