What's new

Discussion Patches overwhelmingly help NRS games not hurt them

Do you think NRS patching strategy is much better this time?

• Yes

Votes: 74 60.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • In between overeall

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
In a much more corporate environment than you may be used to, if they're told to work on the next game they'll have to work on the next game.

Btw, it actually costs money to patch games, at least on console. So they can't just do whatever they want
That shows me that you don't know. No offense, but it just doesn't work that way.

Once a development cycle is set up, changes only come when there is a problem in development. Then, the developers pitch to a board of directors why more time or money is needed or how that would improve their game. A board of directors have never shortened a development cycle as long as nothing catastrophic has happened - like a pitch for more time or money has gone awry or bankruptcy.

NRS is currently in the patching phase of development on MKX.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Here's a good question...

What characters/variations did the MKX patches ruin?
I wouldn't say it's about what's ruined just the change itself. Like 2 patches ago I remember thinking wow some characters got some interesting changes. I think it was the FF Liu Kang buff patch. I went to a few character threads just to see what new things are the players doing. That's just to see if I feel like playing them.

Now imagine how it feels for anyone actually trying to learn matchups. Different combos happened. Different block strings happened. Frame advantage changed. All the for multiple characters and now you have to learn multiple tactics.

Luckily for me I haven't gotten to that point yet because I'm still figuring out who i'm going to take seriously but for players who already have, I can see why the game has gotten tedious to them. That's why I already stated I'd wouldn't see too much of a problem if these patches changed things like glitches/infinites/etc. heck even crazy frame advantage like ex hat spin or supes' f23 string. But there are some major character changes happening. LK gets to cancel specials into specials, D'vorah had her combo timings changed, Kitana and Kenshi happened. Even little changes like going from an 11f d1 to a 9f d1 changes a couple things.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

I wouldn't say it's about what's ruined just the change itself. Like 2 patches ago I remember thinking wow some characters got some interesting changes. I think it was the FF Liu Kang buff patch. I went to a few character threads just to see what new things are the players doing. That's just to see if I feel like playing them.

Now imagine how it feels for anyone actually trying to learn matchups. Different combos happened. Different block strings happened. Frame advantage changed. All the for multiple characters and now you have to learn multiple tactics.

Luckily for me I haven't gotten to that point yet because I'm still figuring out who i'm going to take seriously but for players who already have, I can see why the game has gotten tedious to them. That's why I already stated I'd wouldn't see too much of a problem if these patches changed things like glitches/infinites/etc. heck even crazy frame advantage like ex hat spin or supes' f23 string. But there are some major character changes happening. LK gets to cancel specials into specials, D'vorah had her combo timings changed, Kitana and Kenshi happened. Even little changes like going from an 11f d1 to a 9f d1 changes a couple things.
Who got hit the hardest? Is it Infernal Scorpion? Grandmaster Sub? Are they now unviable? Is it someone else?

Who got buffed the most? Is it Liu Kang, Kenshi, and Kitana? Did they go from unviable to viable?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
That shows me that you don't know. No offense, but it just doesn't work that way.

Once a development cycle is set up, changes only come when there is a problem in development. Then, the developers pitch to a board of directors why more time or money is needed or how that would improve their game. A board of directors have never shortened a development cycle as long as nothing catastrophic has happened - like a pitch for more time or money has gone awry or bankruptcy.

NRS is currently in the patching phase of development on MKX.
Almost everything that's not an online scrub-killer isn't actually "needed" to enhance their game in terms of their real goals. NRS is most likely in the development of their next game right now. The patching+DLC they're doing is just finishing up so they can go full-time in a few months, which is why it's unlikely for us to see patches after the fall.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
NRS patching basically tells me that they like changing the rules of the game constantly.

Like telling pitchers in baseball "today we will be pitching from 60ft 6 inches."

"oh... you're total ERA across the board is too low... so we are going to move you back to 78ft"

"oh now your'e era is too high.... so we are going to move you to 65ft"

Except... ya know.... those guys actually have players rights and unions and such to keep shit like that from happening.... but the notion holds true.

The patches ruin the games for people like me.... who don't have the time to simply grind out stuff.... only to have it change... so we can regrind it out.... ONLINE (which is spectacularly bad).... with no offline scene.

I mean...... they REALLY know how to alienate their players.

None of the patches changed the fundamental rules of Mortal Kombat X.

So no, your analogy doesn't work.

Breakers work exactly the same.
The round system is the same.
Running works the same.
Stamina works the same.
Interactables work the same.

What changed was character-specific stuff, which doesn't change the entire game, it just means that more characters can play the game.

I don't know about you, but having more and more characters being able to compete is a good thing in my perspective.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
None of the patches changed the fundamental rules of Mortal Kombat X.

So no, your analogy doesn't work.

Breakers work exactly the same.
The round system is the same.
Running works the same.
Stamina works the same.
Interactables work the same.

What changed was character-specific stuff, which doesn't change the entire game, it just means that more characters can play the game.

I don't know about you, but having more and more characters being able to compete is a good thing in my perspective.
Not to be difficult but they did take some universal OS's out of the game, which does technically "cha nge the rules of the game" :p

I see your point though.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Who got hit the hardest? Is it Infernal Scorpion? Grandmaster Sub? Are they now unviable? Is it someone else?

Who got buffed the most? Is it Liu Kang, Kenshi, and Kitana? Did they go from unviable to viable?
I'm not trying to argue who got hit the hardest or if someone went from unviable to viable. you can't prove those things within 1 month of playing. People don't even play the game effectively yet.

I think this is the wrong focus to have on the issue. There are multiple factors and sides to how the current way of patching affects the game and the players. You are arguing a point that was nowhere in my post.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Addressing Viscant's points

1. Sure, maybe Tempest Lao, Ermac and Scorpion gave Tanya issues too. That still doesn't counter my main point. I shouldn't have to pick up a teleport character or Grandmaster Sub to be able to beat Tanya.

Regardless, the door swings both ways here too. Tanya players might not have known how to fight Grandmaster Sub, Tempest Lao, Scorp and Ermac yet. It's possible she ends up being even better than we thought and she 7-3's most of the cast with a few 6-4's. You keep saying, 'We'll never know.' Well why risk it? We've seen what Kabal did to our scene in MK9 and it wasn't fun to play against or watch. We can see why Tanya is beating characters and it's because she is safely playing outside the normal meta of MKX. Keyword is 'safely'. There's practically no consequence to her teleporting. So its a good bet to tone that down and bring her closer to the meta that everyone else is playing. It really is that simple.

"I'd like that too. I'd also like a pony and an ice cream cone."

You mocking my vision, and NRS's vision of balance is where we differ most. You think balance is a pie in the sky. That we're wishing on a shooting star and to even think a game can have very few 7-3 or 8-2 matchups is a joke.

We are telling you with the way NRS can change their game at any sign of there being something too overpowering that it CAN be achieved. MK9 was a beta run. Injustice upon release was a joke. Through patching it made a very awkward feeling game into a pretty fun and pretty well balanced game compared to most. Especially given the character diversity in Injustice. I already told you that we had two bottom 10 characters make top 8 at Evo last year. Unheard of in most games. Mock me about it all you want, but it's happening.

Anyone reading this, if you want to play a game where the tiers dictate what characters you can play with, then by all means, stick with Capcom or whatever else. But if you'd like to play a game where you can pick any character you like, please stay on this side of the line. We're trying things new here. You an either be a part of it or keep that old-man syndrome.

2. The patches had nothing to do with why CEO was not as interesting as Combo Breaker. What made it not as interesting was Tanya. Constantly running away and only playing the game when she felt like it. Sure maybe a few characters are able to calm her down, but most cannot. And that's why it was not fun to watch.

3. Yea, SonicFox overcame great odds by beating DJT's Fisticuffs Cage. If you ask me DJT just choked. But just do me a favor and watch those matches again. Fox loses entire games cause he can't get out of the corner. It's funny to watch, but it's also pretty stupid. If that matchup were to get fleshed out, there's pretty damn good odds the matchup is mainly about just getting Erron Black to the corner and abusing his bad pokes and armor. Yea yea yea, 'we don't know for sure' but my God man, look at one toolset vs. the other and we can make a fairly educated guess.

4. Whether you want to believe it or not, for this community, Injustice was the anticipated sequel to MK9. We all know UMvC3 isn't a sequel to SF and we all know Soul Caliber 2 wasn't a sequel to Tekken. But you aren't part of our community. You wouldn't know. And to most of us Injustice was the sequel. Don't try and tell us why people within our community stopped playing MK9 to Injustice and why people stopped playing Injustice to MKX. We already know, and I already told you. You can either believe me or not, but we would know better than you do. Please stop trying to educate us about our own community.

And there were sometimes exhibition tournaments for MK9 and Injustice just like 3rd Strike, MvC2 and ST. MK9 had a bunch of exhibitions into Injustce's life. Combo Breaker had an Injustice exhibition as well. You don't know what you're talking about.

5. This was you pretty much saying since D'Vorah isn't as good as she used to be so you don't know if you can play more sloppy or not. Is it really that hard to figure out? You were just praising SonicFox for figuring out how to fight Fisticuffs Cage within 90 minutes, yet you have to completely 're-learn' the entire D'Vorah matchup because you have MORE options when you block ONE of her moves? You're heavily exaggerating this talking point. Just do what you normally do and use armor occasionally to keep them honest from doing the overhead. That's pretty much it. Any other D'Vorah that lets you get away with more than that then consider yourself lucky.

You don't need excel or some calculus formula. You assume the best of what the character is capable of, base your options around that, then figure out what your best option is based on risk vs. reward. After that it's just reading your opponent. It's not that complicated.

And if the patches dis-organized your excel sheet, then boo-hoo. If you didn't get around to testing it in the first place then what time was lost? This doesn't even make sense.

6. "Also it's hypothetical that people quit if the game isn't patched. It's factual that people quit if the game is overpatched."

How many times do we have to tell you in this thread that Injustice almost DIED because it didn't get patched soon enough? The game got booed at Evo. Superman and Black Adam were winning all the main locals, regionals and majors. The balance patch saved the game. Mr. Wizard even said that. So no, it's actually not hypothetical. It's actually fact. If we were to take your advice, the game would've died and our scene would've died. You don't know what you're talking about. We have the history to back it up.

"Your standard as previously defined in your own words has yet to be reached in this game. Or any previous NRS game. Or any fighting game in 25 years. Maybe it's time for a new standard."

Yea, that standard has yet to be reached in any fighting game to date. I completely agree. There has not ever been a perfect fighting game. Not ST, not MvC2, not TTT, not CvS2 not SFIV, not MK9, not Injustice, none of them are good. Not as good as I think they can be. So because it hasn't been done before we shouldn't try? We have the technology to try and accomplish it and you don't even want to see if it works. Great attitude man. Really optimistic.

"I'm not sure you read, digested or understood my examples about how older and newer games showed dramatic balance changes after months and years because after those posts you haven't changed your tune or your tone one bit. You either don't understand that or don't want to understand that and I don't care enough at this point to figure out which."

I completely understand what you're saying, and I'm telling you that those examples are few and far between. I understand as games develop sometimes a character's initial tier assessment is wrong, but more often than not, they are right. Every blue moon there's an Super Turbo T. Hawk storybook ending where a low tier suddenly becomes high tier with a new mechanic or glitch found or the right player with the right mind-set shows the world how good a character can be. But this is exception, not the rule. And that shouldn't be used as the excuse to not try and change things for the better.

In closing I'll say this.

Yes we love our games, we love our characters, and for us the patches aren't work. They are the result of feedback given to NRS to help make our game better. If you don't like it, then fine. Quit. You can play your games, and we can play ours. All we ask is that when you try to play our games, don't bitch about how we do things. It's not helping. Know that this is normal for us, this is how it is and this is how we like it. We don't play your games and bitch about how lop-sided the balance is, so don't play our games and bitch about how NRS changes things to try and make the game more balanced.

Our community is only 4 years old and we're going pretty good. There's been highs and lows but it's stronger than it's ever been now. Capcom players are the Alpha-males when it comes to the FGC. It's probably not intentional, but when Capcom players play our games and bitch about what they disagree with, it's still a negative impact on our community and our scene because of the influence Capcom players have over the FGC.

Just try it out and if you don't like it. Quit. It's that simple. There's no need for this mudslinging of our game, our community or NRS because things work differently here. We don't do it to you, all we ask is you don't do it to us.

Last edited:

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
And for those wondering, yes I used to work at NRS for short while. I see what they do and it's hard work. But I have no reason to pat them on the back. I don't work there anymore and I have moved back to STL. I've been openly critical of the things I think they do wrong. I think their communication in regards to the patches is awful. I think the netcode is a joke. And I think it sucks they don't support their game beyond 6 months. I think if they did, they actually could accomplish that balance everyone is very thirsty for in fighting games.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Almost everything that's not an online scrub-killer isn't actually "needed" to enhance their game in terms of their real goals. NRS is most likely in the development of their next game right now. The patching+DLC they're doing is just finishing up so they can go full-time in a few months, which is why it's unlikely for us to see patches after the fall.
Pretty much, the life cycle of their game ends pretty soon and Injustice 2 will probably go into full swing(which the two year cycle is pretty much a corporate thing which some people don't believe for some reason:rolleyes:). Kinda like how sf4 won't get patched anymore now that SfV is in full swing.

Anyway thought the only reason I'm in this thread is the slips viscant argument so juice. Even if he does think fisicuffs needed nerfs

Last edited:

GAV

Without knowing the schedule of their development cycle, I can't speak on that. It would be pure speculation, but unless you know something that I don't - then that is pure speculation as well.

You can get bits and pieces that might help illuminate things a little. When you start hearing about Injustice II in the works, then you just need to dig a little to find out who is doing what. You may not find a lot, but you can sometimes get an idea. Games aren't made by corporations. Corporations set up the developers in studios - and that group works through development cycles to create a product.

Last edited:

Immortal

Blind justice....
Addressing Viscant's points
And for those wondering, yes I used to work at NRS for short while. I see what they do and it's hard work. But I have no reason to pat them on the back. I don't work there anymore and I have moved back to STL. I've been openly critical of the things I think they do wrong. I think their communication in regards to the patches is awful. I think the netcode is a joke. And I think it sucks they don't support their game beyond 6 months. I think if they did, they actually could accomplish that balance everyone is very thirsty for in fighting games.
I generally agree with everything you wrote. I really like how NRS is making an effort to promote and support competitve scene nowadays.

That being said, the highlighted part really needs to change coz this hurts the community really badly and cannot be overlooked. Especially netcode. It's been like 4 years since MK9 and we still got the same shit in that regard. I can't imagine we will get something similar with IGAU 2 and MK XI. Its really time to move into GGPO.

GAV

I'm not trying to argue who got hit the hardest or if someone went from unviable to viable. you can't prove those things within 1 month of playing. People don't even play the game effectively yet.

I think this is the wrong focus to have on the issue. There are multiple factors and sides to how the current way of patching affects the game and the players. You are arguing a point that was nowhere in my post.
Its just a question I had. I'm not arguing. I'm OK with the changes, but I don't know enough to tell people how they should feel about them.

My question answered would help fill me in a bit on what has actually changed and it seems to me like you know a thing or two, so I posed it to you.

GAV

Its really time to move into GGPO.
LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Without knowing the schedule of their development cycle, I can't speak on that. It would be pure speculation, but unless you know something that I don't - then that is pure speculation as well.

You can get bits and pieces that might help illuminate things a little. When you start hearing about Injustice II in the works, then you just need to dig a little to find out who is doing what. You may not find a lot, but you can sometimes get an idea. Games aren't made by corporations. Corporations set up the developers in studios - and that group works through development cycles to create a product.
From what I know, Injustice development started a long time before its announcement and MKX started well before Injustice was even out. So (assuming the same cycle) they'd probably need to start developing full characters in a few months to have them ready for E3 presentations/demos/etc. With the amount of shit in NRS games that probably takes a lot more than most FG's, too.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I generally agree with everything you wrote. I really like how NRS is making an effort to promote and support competitve scene nowadays.

That being said, the highlighted part really needs to change coz this hurts the community really badly and cannot be overlooked. Especially netcode. It's been like 4 years since MK9 and we still got the same shit in that regard. I can't imagine we will get something similar with IGAU 2 and MK XI. Its really time to move into GGPO.
I think I heard from one of the designers that there's a reason they can't do that, something like the amount of stuff needed to be rendered can't be supported by GGPO, otherwise they would use it. But I don't have enough technical knowledge to explain enough

GAV

From what I know, Injustice development started a long time before its announcement and MKX started well before Injustice was even out. So (assuming the same cycle) they'd probably need to start developing full characters in a few months to have them ready for E3 presentations/demos/etc. With the amount of shit in NRS games that probably takes a lot more than most FG's, too.
So, did they start out developing MKX to be on Ps3/360?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Regardless, the door swings both ways here too. Tanya players might not have known how to fight Grandmaster Sub, Tempest Lao, Scorp and Ermac yet. It's possible she ends up being even better than we thought and she 7-3's most of the cast with a few 6-4's. You keep saying, 'We'll never know.' Well why risk it? We've seen what Kabal did to our scene in MK9 and it wasn't fun to play against or watch. We can see why Tanya is beating characters and it's because she is safely playing outside the normal meta of MKX. Keyword is 'safely'. There's practically no consequence to her teleporting. So its a good bet to tone that down and bring her closer to the meta that everyone else is playing. It really is that simple.
This 100%. Players of dominant characters tend to get better at handling other matchups over time, not worse. I can't speak for how it works in other games; but in NRS games, REO struggled early on with certain matchups with Kabal that made them look more even than they were; Sonic Fox had issues with a lot of things early with Batgirl that made her look worse than she was; it took KDZ months of griding and playing in literally every single tournament in his region to reveal how oppressive Superman was; Theo played like 30,000 matches online in order to conquer AM matchups, etc. Jupiter couldn't make it out of pools at first with Martian Manhunter (remember all the people who said he was fine, and claimed 'knee-jerk' overreacting?). Pig went through major struggles with Zod in certain matchups until he eventually solidified his dominance.

Cyrax was called mid-tier and was supposedly fine after his infinite was removed, only for him to keep getting better and better at his strengths until he became massively out of control.

Meanwhile, the whole community was working to train against Kabal/Kenshi/Cyrax players, the IGAU community was trying to find answers for Superman and AM, etc. Yet the players of the broken characters figured our how to make them even *more* dominant, not less. It simply took people a couple years to admit what should have been obvious months before.

Last edited:

haketh

Noob
I think I heard from one of the designers that there's a reason they can't do that, something like the amount of stuff needed to be rendered can't be supported by GGPO, otherwise they would use it. But I don't have enough technical knowledge to explain enough
Talking to people taht wrok with casters & netcodes that is bullshit

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Its just a question I had. I'm not arguing. I'm OK with the changes, but I don't know enough to tell people how they should feel about them.

My question answered would help fill me in a bit on what has actually changed and it seems to me like you know a thing or two, so I posed it to you.
Oh ok my bad then. I would say just off of pure changes the most would be kitana and kenshi. I don't know exactly how all the other changes affect the respective characters so I don't comment on who got hit the hardest or if a character is viable/not viable. I just personally don't like major changes 2 months. Did those characters need those changes? Very much likely. But I don't see why we couldn't let it ride for longer, except for 2 things. April is probably one of the oddest times to release a fighter. In 3 months we have EVO which to me is too soon for our "superbowl". The other problem is NRS stops supporting the games. I doubt they lose anything by focusing some balance changes after they have all their (too soon imo) DLC. Who is going to buy Injustice 2 or MK11 that won't because it comes out a year later?

So that's why I don't want to focus on if these patches work or not because we have points for both sides. I feel we should focus on what should happen to actually improve the whole process.

If they couldn't license GGPO for whatever reason it is definitely possible to write your own rollback netcode. On consoles I don't think the graphics of a stage have that much of an affect on online. If for whatever reason they do then there should definitely be an option to prioritize speed over graphics. There are too many ways to get good netplay in this day and age.

GAV

Oh ok my bad then. I would say just off of pure changes the most would be kitana and kenshi. I don't know exactly how all the other changes affect the respective characters so I don't comment on who got hit the hardest or if a character is viable/not viable. I just personally don't like major changes 2 months. Did those characters need those changes? Very much likely. But I don't see why we couldn't let it ride for longer, except for 2 things. April is probably one of the oddest times to release a fighter. In 3 months we have EVO which to me is too soon for our "superbowl". The other problem is NRS stops supporting the games. I doubt they lose anything by focusing some balance changes after they have all their (too soon imo) DLC. Who is going to buy Injustice 2 or MK11 that won't because it comes out a year later?

So that's why I don't want to focus on if these patches work or not because we have points for both sides. I feel we should focus on what should happen to actually improve the whole process.
Understood.

From the standpoint of a gamer, I love that it came out in April though. Otherwise, what the he!! would we play?