What's new

Overwatch Discussion Thread

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Ok, well rather than arguing over OP/not OP (Blizzard is going to do what they're going to do), how about tactics, hero strategy, map strategy? Any interesting finds?
I posted this on another forum but I'll post it here as well for the sake of strategy discussion.

Kind of too lazy to edit out the context behind my reply but here is my advice on Symmetra for "Attacking" game modes, because she's usually used for "Defend":

Pterodactyl said:
Oh no not behind his shield, not at all.

You can't really do anything behind Reihardt's shield, her beam range is much too short, and her mega-buster is too slow to be shot out while standing behind a big obvious target like that shield.

I mean hovering around the tank's general area and ganking the squishes(including D.Va even in the mech) that try to run up and kill it with her beam. Now this isn't a style of play new or exclusive to her, it's just that she can do it and pretty well.

You're very fixated on the teleporter and yes it is very important but I think you're undervaluing her turrets. When you're pushing to the point they're valuable for extending your team's domain, as most enemy teams will send out a few hitters(with the rest staying back a bit to defend) to oppress you and slow your advance to their point, they'll occupy the area between what they're defending and your base. You hide turrets around the high traffic door ways and paths and they become easy fodder for teammates or they are repelled back if not killed. As you move up, so do your turrets. The area your teammates can safely(or at least easily) occupy has expanded.

I mean the mindset here is pretty clear. You(the enemy) walk through an area and start getting melted by a turret(s) you only have three options. You either back up and spend precious time looking for a safer way forward, or you keep going forward anyway and die/lose a good amount of health, or you open yourself up to your enemies by taking the few seconds to find and kill the turret(s) that has already weakened you to a varying degree. Now the last option is the option with the least amount of loss potentially, but chances are there's an opponent around with a ranged weapon that could easily kill you while you're distracted(and already hurt).

Once you get to the objective as Symmetra you of course hide them around so your teammates have an even easier time capturing it. Yes they break easy but they go back up just as easily. And of course throw up some shields and the teleporter when you have the option to.

That's for the Assault game mode.

For King of the Hill she's pretty damn strong. If your team has the point, or they keep the heat off of you, you can toss up a bunch of turrets and they help out tremendously. You stick to the paths that aren't directly in the line of conflict and pick off stragglers with your beam and turrets and in-and-out around the objective to replace any destroyed turrets. Also the teleporter's value goes without saying here.

Payload is pretty much the same either way, you have to work around the movement of the objective, your stuff is pretty useful but becomes useless quickly and has to be repositioned to regain effectiveness.

This is just what works for me against various types of players and various teams. Of course like every other character she has her counters and she's far from an OP superbadass, but she can squeeze out some real juice if played right in any game mode, and she's much more than just a teleporter maker.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Sorry guys I keep searching everywhere for the answer, what is a DPS character? Damage per second? I'm losing my mind trying to find the answer.
Also known as the fragger or main source of kills/damage. You can also just think of them as the offensive players.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I feel as thought Winston is the perfect disruptor. I'm ranked pretty high with him. If you guys wanna play on PC my tag is Tottery#1972. Better be good if you add me. Don't bother if not.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
Still trying to find the rare souls that play Overwatch on XB1 here. Drop your tag in a reply. KHTC Takgillo and I ran a few games the other day, it would be sweet to play with a squad of TYMers.

I feel as thought Winston is the perfect disruptor. I'm ranked pretty high with him.
I just love the character Winston in general. Did you check out his short on Youtube?

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Guys how do you get around DVA's self destruct? This guy probably thinks he's amazeballs because he got 3-5 kills with it on my team every time he used it.
I mean like something HARD that counters it. Not just "turn and run the opposite way and pray" <- that occasionally works though lol. I was messing with Mei's ice wall and it seems to somewhat block it but I was wondering if there was anything specific anyone here would use as well?

myri

Time Warrior
Pretty sure as long as there's something in between you and the explosion you're fine. Just hide behind any wall you can.

Yoaks

A spaceman
Guys how do you get around DVA's self destruct? This guy probably thinks he's amazeballs because he got 3-5 kills with it on my team every time he used it.
I mean like something HARD that counters it. Not just "turn and run the opposite way and pray" <- that occasionally works though lol. I was messing with Mei's ice wall and it seems to somewhat block it but I was wondering if there was anything specific anyone here would use as well?
You can hide behind a lightpole and it will block it.

Noob
So what do you guys think the Late month patch will bring, as in you guys think it will bring Sombra or whatever new character is next or we will have to wait longer for her?
Im quite exited about the prospect of another Scope Sniper type character based on support since im a Widow "main" and if She looks like the casefile on Anubis Temple, she looks sick

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So what do you guys think the Late month patch will bring, as in you guys think it will bring Sombra or whatever new character is next or we will have to wait longer for her?
Im quite exited about the prospect of another Scope Sniper type character based on support since im a Widow "main" and if She looks like the casefile on Anubis Temple, she looks sick
So I'm almost hoping that they wait a little on the new character, just to let the current meta evolve. I feel like we haven't maxed out knowledge of either the current set of characters, or the current set of stages.

That point when people are just starting to get tired of things (maybe a couple months down the road?) would be the perfect time to introduce DLC.

They will however be introducing both Competitive Mode and those nerfs/buffs/fixes/changes to the cast. So it'll be cool to see what affect those things have on the game.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
A good read on the new tournament ruleset that has started to be implemented as well as how it's been working out.

For those who haven't heard about the ruleset(deemed the "eggplant" ruleset) here it is:
All Assault maps banned(Anubis, Volskaya, Hanamura)
1 Hero limit on each team
Stopwatch used in all non-KOTH matches(for those not familiar, stopwatch means that if both teams finish the map, the one with the faster time wins)

http://www.planetoverwatch.org/13-overwatch-tier-list-and-hero-meta-report-1-hero-limit-and-you

Takeaways from the article:
1. The 1 hero limit has helped hero diversity somewhat, but has also decreased variety in actual team composition. What that means is that although some characters are seeing more play, the overall team compositions relative to certain parts of a map are always the same. For example, every team in the last two tournaments ran a Symmetra on defense for the first point and a Zarya on offense for the first point. But other than that it was the usual Reinhardt/McCree/Winston/Widow/Lucio/Mercy lineup and that was pretty much all you saw. So even though characters like Symmetra and Zarya saw an increase in play overall, it was only for a small portion of the match/

Thoughts?

Noob
Its tricky to say the least, I really like the Hero limits, specially as a player and as a viewer as well but apparently with McCree set on for the nerf, to what extent he will be nerfed we will have to wait and see but they are already considering Widow for the chopping block as well, this changes will dictate a lot of what the future holds for competitive play... Widow is very very strong, But it also takes quite a bit of Skill to get there, its not as easy as it looks, and considering her Mobility was already cut to 12 secs probably the biggest CD as far as mobility skills goes and her mine is nothing to brag about they really cant do much to her without ruining her completely... Also D Vas buff will also play part in deciding if she comes back to Meta over Winston or Zarya which are preferable right now....

@CrimsonShadow Yeah i see that being a good option 2 ofc, im a firm believer in the wait before dropping new stuff in the game, But cant but feel exited over the prospect of a new Sniper type char...

Also there appears to be some leads that DoomFist might also be in the horizon, as Sombra and him seem to be the characters we will get next, Both really interesting concepts, what do you guys think of an All meele character that is not Def based?

A good read on the new tournament ruleset that has started to be implemented as well as how it's been working out.

For those who haven't heard about the ruleset(deemed the "eggplant" ruleset) here it is:
All Assault maps banned(Anubis, Volskaya, Hanamura)
1 Hero limit on each team
Stopwatch used in all non-KOTH matches(for those not familiar, stopwatch means that if both teams finish the map, the one with the faster time wins)

http://www.planetoverwatch.org/13-overwatch-tier-list-and-hero-meta-report-1-hero-limit-and-you

Takeaways from the article:
1. The 1 hero limit has helped hero diversity somewhat, but has also decreased variety in actual team composition. What that means is that although some characters are seeing more play, the overall team compositions relative to certain parts of a map are always the same. For example, every team in the last two tournaments ran a Symmetra on defense for the first point and a Zarya on offense for the first point. But other than that it was the usual Reinhardt/McCree/Winston/Widow/Lucio/Mercy lineup and that was pretty much all you saw. So even though characters like Symmetra and Zarya saw an increase in play overall, it was only for a small portion of the match/

Thoughts?
Ever since the 1 hero rule Ive seen characters never used in competitive before ( or rarely) ie reaper , roadhog and just in general more heros show up like genji and Zarya etc so yeah the 1 hero limit is pretty good imo

Also the patch is most likely coming this week the dev said. So the mccree nerf is finally here for whoever wanted it. I have around 76 hours with him now and I will not stop :DOGE

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Bought Overwatch a few days ago for PS4 :DOGE

if anyone wants to play with me my PSN is Evil_PandasXD until my Plus subscription expires, then I'm switching

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Symmetra is bae. On defense, especially on those long travel maps, she is great. That first cave on Route 66 is great for her because her turrets on the wall facing the spawn can't really be hit until you get to the other side and it will fire on people pushing the cart. Also makes for a nasty surprise, and if you set up the teleported behind the gas station sign at point 1 it overlooks it.
When I play her I often feel useless for the most part because my turrets get destroyed easily and my charged ranged attack never hits anything. The portal is good, but yeah.... I don't know. I need to play her more.

When I play her I often feel useless for the most part because my turrets get destroyed easily and my charged ranged attack never hits anything. The portal is good, but yeah.... I don't know. I need to play her more.
She's really good on Point A defense. Usually, you try and hide the turrets from plain view and you fight close to the turrets. If you put it out in the open, they will target it and destroy it. You use the charged ranged attack to harass from far. You use the close range one when you fight close to the turrets.

She's really good on maps like Anubis, Hanamura, Dorado, Hollywood, King's Row, and Numbani. If you lose Point A, then you should try and switch to another character.